2017-2018 Kansas City University - Joplin Campus (KCU-COM Joplin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got waitlisted - Interviewed at Jopin on 2/8

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where can I find information about accepted students day? I can't find anything in my emails or the website.

Where can I find information about accepted students day? I can't find anything in my emails or the website.

It was yesterday, March 10th so not much to do about it now.

Reactions: 1 user
I just made an account and posted on the general KCU thread and posted about how I’m waiting on my decision. I interviewed on 2/24.

Just curious: what kind of chance do I have with the following stats:

509 MCAT
3.62 cGPA
3.7 sGPA

I also have ~3000 hours of experience as a CNA and ~800 hours as an ED scribe.

I think I answered all of my secondary questions really well and I thought my interview was good, not great.

I just made an account and posted on the general KCU thread and posted about how I’m waiting on my decision. I interviewed on 2/24.

Just curious: what kind of chance do I have with the following stats:

509 MCAT
3.62 cGPA
3.7 sGPA

I also have ~3000 hours of experience as a CNA and ~800 hours as an ED scribe.

I think I answered all of my secondary questions really well and I thought my interview was good, not great.
Sounds like you have a good shot, do you have any other acceptances? What did you put for campus preference?

Sounds like you have a good shot, do you have any other acceptances? What did you put for campus preference?
I have an acceptance at KCOM pending a seat becoming available (meaning I won’t have to reapply or anything if one does not become available). I listed my preference as “both” and mentioned in my interview that I would prefer Joplin.

Current Students: What are your summer plans? I know this sounds neurotic but I am just curious what some of the first years are doing in the summer. I figure it will give me a good idea of what is doable in a years time.

I am currently looking for research opportunities. If that doesn't pan out, I plan to work with a local physician for extra clinical exposure. We only have 5 weeks, so not time for much.

I am currently looking for research opportunities. If that doesn't pan out, I plan to work with a local physician for extra clinical exposure. We only have 5 weeks, so not time for much.
I heard a rumor someone in another post that the summer is being extended to 8 week. Is there any truth to this? Also a speaker at Accepted Students day mentioned they were working on expanding research with MSSU. Can current student comment on this at all?

I heard a rumor someone in another post that the summer is being extended to 8 week. Is there any truth to this? Also a speaker at Accepted Students day mentioned they were working on expanding research with MSSU. Can current student comment on this at all?
I have heard the rumor mill turning out the same thing. I'm not 100% either way at this time. If you do get 8 weeks, color me jealous. Our faculty is working hard to bring research to Joplin. We have several opportunities already with the local residency programs, but a lot of students don't know about it yet because they aren't willing to look for them.

Can someone give a quick rundown of facilities available on campus? For example, lounges to relax/games, cafe/food available at all on campus, fitness facility etc., things other than the normally expected study spaces/library/lecture halls.

I interviewed at KC but was accepted to Joplin and haven't had the chance to visit, so I really don't know what to expect.

Can someone give a quick rundown of facilities available on campus? For example, lounges to relax/games, cafe/food available at all on campus, fitness facility etc., things other than the normally expected study spaces/library/lecture halls.

I interviewed at KC but was accepted to Joplin and haven't had the chance to visit, so I really don't know what to expect.
Campus is Beautiful and brand new. Huge emphasis on quietness and natural light. Enclosed gardens in several spots to study outside and plenty of comfy chairs. Very well ventilated room for anatomy, smelled liked a normal room.

The campus appears to be designed to be as non oppressive as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, going to be a first year here in the fall. I've lived in Joplin most of my life, so I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.
Hi there,

My husband was accepted here. We have 2 children (8 months, 3 years), so I’m wondering how Joplin is for kids (parks, zoo, etc). Are there places to hike/explore? Are there liberal parents?

I’m not sure if you’ll be able to help, but thought I’d try:)

Thanks!

Hi there,

My husband was accepted here. We have 2 children (8 months, 3 years), so I’m wondering how Joplin is for kids (parks, zoo, etc). Are there places to hike/explore? Are there liberal parents?

Thanks!

There's a Wildlife Audubon Center and a gorgeous waterfall near the school! There are loads of nature-related things to do.

Any current students have the inside scoop on how the KC campus did match wise this year?

Also, can any current students comment on waterview estates?

Current Students: What are your summer plans? I know this sounds neurotic but I am just curious what some of the first years are doing in the summer. I figure it will give me a good idea of what is doable in a years time.
From what I hear this is what people are doing:
- Mission trip (we've got about 10 students going to Ecuador for 4 weeks. So excited!!)
- Research
- Studying for boards (picking a class they didn't do well in over 1st year and re-learning it)
- Shadowing
- Nothing.

Many of the upperclassman actually said to do nothing. We don't get many breaks during the school year to go home. So make sure you're checking in on great grandma and little siblings. Family and your support system will always be more important than a career.

So for current students when did you guys secure an apartment? I am looking for a single bedroom apartment right now and am having trouble finding availability.
The realtor said to look 2 months prior to moving in. I secured mine in late May, I moved in in early July.

Any current students have the inside scoop on how the KC campus did match wise this year?
This is from the grape vine, I don't think we have a published, official source yet: "a lot of anesthesia matches" "record high 7 ortho matches"

Also, can any current students comment on waterview estates?
Do NOT go to Waterview Estates. I hear they're getting better, but they don't have good internet (Students have to come to campus to watch lecture videos or netflix... what a life), their water is always lukewarm, never hot. They overbooked spots and a few of our classmates had to stay in a hotel until they found other housing the first 2 weeks of school. It's also in a sad area. Close to school, but in the middle of nowhere. We always joke that the "water view" is the sewage from the city. Not entirely sure if that's a joke or not.

Hi there,

Thanks!

Joplin tends to be a more conservative area in terms of ideology. I'm also midline-conservative and don't have kids (preferably until residency or later :p), so I can't comment on how you would fit in with parent circles.

As far as kid friendly areas, there are several parks in Joplin with good playground equipment. When you are looking for housing, you might consider living out near Soaring Heights Elementary school as your oldest will be looking at elementary school before you are done with your 4 years here. Just looking forward to your clinical years, if you want to stay in the area all 4 years there is more than enough room at the local hospitals (which are actually pretty good teaching hospitals). Someone already mentioned Wildcat Glades and I'll second it. It is a nice place to go just relax with your family. My wife and I really love going hammocking there when the weather is nice. There are several public pools in the area with shallow sections that your kids would probably love. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but have your husband post on the class facebook page and some of our classmates with kids may be able to give you a better idea.

The recommendation of most people is do nothing. That being said, I'm probably spending the majority of the summer doing research, which I'm finalizing now. I'm also gunning for a really competitive field (Ophtho), so a lot of those recommendations don't work for me :)( I'll miss you summer vacation).

I spoke with some of our faculty and you are getting 8 weeks of summer. That is both good and bad. You will still have the same amount of information that we do (Which is already one of the most rigorous curriculums of any DO school, apparently) but 3 weeks are being chopped off. But you get some other changes that might be cool. Here is what I know from my conversation:
CardioPulm will have a week cut off, making the finals before thanksgiving rather than the week after.
Neuroscience will have a week cut off.
Instead of Pathology 1 and 2 (MODI & II) you will have a single, longer MOD course.
Your first course will be Biochem (MCM), followed by Muskuloskeletal system (MSK), then Immunology (HDM). (We had the last two flipped).

As for research with MSSU:
"[KCU and MSSU] just inked a memorandum of understanding in order to facilitate research in one of MSSU's labs." source

Dr. Staudinger is also pushing hard to get more research in Joplin.

The recommendation of most people is do nothing. That being said, I'm probably spending the majority of the summer doing research, which I'm finalizing now. I'm also gunning for a really competitive field (Ophtho), so a lot of those recommendations don't work for me :)( I'll miss you summer vacation).

I spoke with some of our faculty and you are getting 8 weeks of summer. That is both good and bad. You will still have the same amount of information that we do (Which is already one of the most rigorous curriculums of any DO school, apparently) but 3 weeks are being chopped off. But you get some other changes that might be cool. Here is what I know from my conversation:
CardioPulm will have a week cut off, making the finals before thanksgiving rather than the week after.
Neuroscience will have a week cut off.
Instead of Pathology 1 and 2 (MODI & II) you will have a single, longer MOD course.
Your first course will be Biochem (MCM), followed by Muskuloskeletal system (MSK), then Immunology (HDM). (We had the last two flipped).

As for research with MSSU:
"[KCU and MSSU] just inked a memorandum of understanding in order to facilitate research in one of MSSU's labs." source

Dr. Staudinger is also pushing hard to get more research in Joplin.
I don't suppose you'd be willing/able to post your global block schedule for this past year? I know it'll be different for us because of the longer summer but I'd enjoy seeing a rough outline of what happens when in regards to topics and exams.

MCM
-1 week, Test (Topics: Cellular metabolic pathways)
-2 weeks, Test (Topics: Genetics, Signaling, Blood Physiology)
HDM
-1 week, Test (Innate Immunity)
-2 weeks, Test
MSK
-3 weeks, Test and Lab Practical (Lower Extremity)
-3 weeks, Test and Lab Practical (Upper Extremity)
CP
-3 weeks, Test and Lab Practical (Respiratory System)
-3 weeks, Test (Cardiovascular System)
Renal
-1 week, Test (Renal Anatomy and basic Physiology)
-2 weeks, Test (Renal physiology and Regulation)
Winter Break
GI
-2 weeks, Test and Lab Practical (GI Anatomy)
-2 weeks, Test (GI Physiology)
Endo/Repro
-2 weeks, Test and Lab Practical (Endocrine)
-2 weeks, Test (Reproduction)
Neuro
-2 weeks, Test and Lab Practical (Facial Anatomy and Cranial Nerves)
-2 weeks, Test and Imaging Practical (Brain anatomy and Physiology)
-2 weeks, Test (Special sensation, reflexes, Cognitive processing)
MOD
2 3 week courses over pathology

Reactions: 2 users
Also, is anyone having issues with Sentry MD? They are telling me due dates that don't line up with the KCU paperwork or the vaccine schedules told to me by my physician's office.

How are people finding out about acceptance, waitlist, or denial decisions? Sorry if this has already been answered. I interviewed on 2/21 and haven't heard anything back yet, which I was assuming is normal.

Last edited:
How are people finding out about acceptance, waitlist, or denial decisions? Sorry if this has already been answered. I interviewed on 2/21 and haven't heard anything back yet, which I was assuming is normal.
You’ll receive an email. Mine was exactly 6 weeks after the interview, hang in there! :)

I'm also gunning for a really competitive field (Ophtho), so a lot of those recommendations don't work for me.

I thought you were thinking psych! What happened?
Good luck, man!! That'd be awesome! I loved shadowing ophthos in undergrad. :) it's an incredible specialty.

Here's to hoping 2/21 and 2/24 interviewees hear back this week...

I thought you were thinking psych! What happened?
Good luck, man!! That'd be awesome! I loved shadowing ophthos in undergrad. :) it's an incredible specialty.
Psych is now my "Didn't do so well on boards" specialty choice ;D
I still like psych, I just decided I like ophtho more at this point.

How long do students get to study for level 1? Approximate dates would be appreciated!

Don't Have dates for you but at accepted students day we were told 7 weeks
If you do get the approximate dates, please let me know! Trying to see if doing HPSP will impact my study time since I have to do BOLC in mid-June 2020.

What are you guys doing for insurance? Still trying to figure this out.

Current students, I stumbled upon the Specialty Honors Track on the KCU website. Is this available for Joplin Students?

Current students, I stumbled upon the Specialty Honors Track on the KCU website. Is this available for Joplin Students?

No, but it might be soon. That is all the information we really have at this point.

Damn, I got really excited when I read about it.

We do have an honors society though!! They have to volunteer and do other club-like things. I can ask my friend what honors society all entails.

I know that this may be a little further down the line. But can any of the current students here tell me if the rotation sites listed on the KCU website are available for all KCU students. I know that all of the sites have the KC symbol beside it but only a few have the Joplin symbol. Is it because the Joplin campus students have preference at these sites? Or are they not allowed to rotate at the other sites?

I know that this may be a little further down the line. But can any of the current students here tell me if the rotation sites listed on the KCU website are available for all KCU students. I know that all of the sites have the KC symbol beside it but only a few have the Joplin symbol. Is it because the Joplin campus students have preference at these sites? Or are they not allowed to rotate at the other sites?
To be determined

I'm looking at getting a laptop, are there any pros/cons to getting a macbook vs pc as far as course material is concerned? Is one preferred over the other by students? (in terms of getting through school material, not concerned with the branding)

I'm looking at getting a laptop, are there any pros/cons to getting a macbook vs pc as far as course material is concerned? Is one preferred over the other by students? (in terms of getting through school material, not concerned with the branding)

Buy whatever you use now. It isn't super important. You just don't want to have to get used to a new OS when you start school.

So I'm in a Masters program right now, and my final exams are basically the first and second week of med school at KCU. The administration at my school right now said that I can graduate, but I have to take my final exams (I think it's like 2 exams), at KCU and they have to proctor the exams for me. Has anyone ever done anything like this before? Would KCU be okay with doing something like this?

Also, how hectic would it be to be taking my final exams during the first week of med school. Would it mess me up and put me behind everyone else? What would our first two weeks consist of?

So you mention not wanting to have to get used to a new OS... are you pretty much just thrown in head first from day one? Just curious what your day to day looks like for the first few weeks, or how soon into it you'll start having exams and whatnot
If it's like this last year, your first exam is after 1 week. You are thrown into it from day 1.

So I'm in a Masters program right now, and my final exams are basically the first and second week of med school at KCU. The administration at my school right now said that I can graduate, but I have to take my final exams (I think it's like 2 exams), at KCU and they have to proctor the exams for me. Has anyone ever done anything like this before? Would KCU be okay with doing something like this?

Also, how hectic would it be to be taking my final exams during the first week of med school. Would it mess me up and put me behind everyone else? What would our first two weeks consist of?

I hope by first week you mean orientation week. If not, that is going to be tough.

I hope by first week you mean orientation week. If not, that is going to be tough.

Where can I get the dates for when classes actually start and possibly exam dates? I think my exams will fall during first week of classes, not orientation week.