2017-2018 Kansas City University - Joplin Campus (KCU-COM Joplin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is correct. They'll toss in some pathology here and there too though!
So pretty standard med school curriculum. It mentions something about early clinical experience but doesn't go in depth at all.

Members don't see this ad.

So pretty standard med school curriculum. It mentions something about early clinical experience but doesn't go in depth at all.

They're probably referring to Score 1 for Health; we first years don't have our first encounter for that until late October/early November (can't remember exactly when atm.) I would assume this is because they want us to practice a few more clinical skills before we start seeing children in the community. The second years are much more involved.

You'll also be seeing standardized patients (paid actors) to practice clinical skills (we have 5 total encounters in our fall semester.) We saw our first standardized patient 5 weeks into school. Before this, we practiced taking patients' medical/social histories in groups, practicing on each other, and also on actors in front of your group (to assist you and give you constructive criticism.)

I think our first competency for blood pressure & respiration rate may have been within the first 3 weeks of school (can't remember; it's all a big blur.) You'll also have competencies for your principles of clinical medicine class you'll have to prepare for. These pop up once every other week (ish.)

If you want to increase your exposure beyond this, you can join clubs that put on events and such for the community. The school puts on events here and there as well!

TL;DR: You gain clinical skills through competencies & standardized patient encounters as you go. When you've acquired a decent amount of clinical skills, you'll begin Score 1 for Health, where you go out into the community and practice your skills on real patients! If you want exposure beyond this, there are plenty of opportunities to do so. :)

EDIT: Not sure if score 1 for health is also at Joplin; will punt that to @DrRedstone

Last edited:
There is a lot more pathology than I thought there would be and we are only in the 3rd month. I definitely feel more like a doctor now than when we started.

@phantomyinyang
Curriculum is based on overlapping courses. We have bioethics, osteopathic skills (OS), principles of clinical medicine (PCM), and our main subject course (Biochem, Immuno, Muskuloskeletal, cardiopulm, etc.). We hit mostly the normal pathology the first year with some key diseases, second year is when we get the lion's share of medical interventions and pathology. We learn different diagnostic tests in PCM that correlate with what we are learning in our main subject course. For example, we are learning tests for the shoulder, elbow, and wrist right now as we study the upper extremities of the body. OS has started following a lot more closely our main subject course with osteopathic interventions as well.

We also have standardized patient encounters once a month or so to test what we have learned so far. Overall, it has been great. Now back to studying the brachial plexus!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They're probably referring to Score 1 for Health; we first years don't have our first encounter for that until late October/early November (can't remember exactly when atm.) I would assume this is because they want us to practice a few more clinical skills before we start seeing children in the community. The second years are much more involved.

You'll also be seeing standardized patients (paid actors) to practice clinical skills (we have 5 total encounters in our fall semester.) We saw our first standardized patient 5 weeks into school. Before this, we practiced taking patients' medical/social histories in groups, practicing on each other, and also on actors in front of your group (to assist you and give you constructive criticism.)

I think our first competency for blood pressure & respiration rate may have been within the first 3 weeks of school (can't remember; it's all a big blur.) You'll also have competencies for your principles of clinical medicine class you'll have to prepare for. These pop up once every other week (ish.)

If you want to increase your exposure beyond this, you can join clubs that put on events and such for the community. The school puts on events here and there as well!

TL;DR: You gain clinical skills through competencies & standardized patient encounters as you go. When you've acquired a decent amount of clinical skills, you'll begin Score 1 for Health, where you go out into the community and practice your skills on real patients! If you want exposure beyond this, there are plenty of opportunities to do so. :)

EDIT: Not sure if score 1 for health is also at Joplin; will punt that to @DrRedstone

I'll cut in here for @DrRedstone...

We do not have Score 1 for Health.

We started clinical experiences I think 2 or 3 weeks ago. Our clinical experiences are not only standardized patients (which began in the first month) but we also give flu shots to staff at the local hospitals and go to the local university football games to diagnose injuries. We've been giving flu shots for 2 - 3 weeks already. We're going to give them to each other tomorrow.

@NecrotizingFasciitis is from the KC campus. We in Joplin don't have DEVELOPED clubs for events in the community, simply because we don't have second years yet that have the experience and knowledge to work with the community. Lucky for you guys, you WILL have us as 2nd years to help facilitate that. Our faculty are new and creative and full of ideas - by the time you all matriculate, we will also have those clubs, too. Already we have 2 clubs (that have heavy faculty influence) to get us those experiences NOW even though it requires a lot of 2nd year knowledge. The OMM club and Fit Doctor Association are already planning community events.

Reactions: 1 user
@phantomyinyang We don't have Score1 like Kansas City, but we have a lot of other early clinical experiences that have already started. The main one that we are doing is going to Freeman and giving flu shots to their employees. Most of us have signed up to do them for an hour and some have signed up to do it twice. We also had the opportunity to sign up to help with the orthopedics team that Freeman sends to football games for local teams. One of my friends got to perform some of the tests we have learned for things like ACL tears on someone with the condition. We were also able to help at the Southern Stampede, a huge cross country event with thousands of racers, working with all sorts of heat related problems. Starting in the spring, we will be assisting with physicals for high school students. There are several schools that do free physicals every year and we are just jumping on board with them.

Probably a lot of overlap with Mo'MedMules' post, but I wanted to make sure you saw everything.

@phantomyinyang We don't have Score1 like Kansas City, but we have a lot of other early clinical experiences that have already started. The main one that we are doing is going to Freeman and giving flu shots to their employees. Most of us have signed up to do them for an hour and some have signed up to do it twice. We also had the opportunity to sign up to help with the orthopedics team that Freeman sends to football games for local teams. One of my friends got to perform some of the tests we have learned for things like ACL tears on someone with the condition. We were also able to help at the Southern Stampede, a huge cross country event with thousands of racers, working with all sorts of heat related problems. Starting in the spring, we will be assisting with physicals for high school students. There are several schools that do free physicals every year and we are just jumping on board with them.

Probably a lot of overlap with Mo'MedMules' post, but I wanted to make sure you saw everything.
Thanks, very helpful. The website doesn't help clarify anything like this at all.

I am coming in from out-of-state for an interview at the Joplin campus. Is there anything fun to do/see in or around Joplin?

I am coming in from out-of-state for an interview at the Joplin campus. Is there anything fun to do/see in or around Joplin?

Well, we are a nature lover's dream here in Joplin (but not really, the website lies). Mostly we have a bunch of good food. I'd recommend going to one of the local places like Instant Karma, Eagle Drive-In, or the Bruncheonette. Wildcat Glades is a nice place to just walk around, but depending on when your interview is, it may be a bit cold.

Accepted to Joplin on Wednesday!

Is it too early to start a Class of 2022 thread?

Accepted to Joplin on Wednesday!

Is it too early to start a Class of 2022 thread?

How exciting!!! Congrats!! Let us know if you come down, OMS1!!!! :)

Depends on what ya like!! I really like architecture, and there's a couple of blocks downtown full of homes built in the early 1900s that are super cool to look at. There's also a bunch of murals that are neat to find.

Just wanted to say ... my road will end if I get accepted at this school

Members don't see this ad :)
Til what? haha

We're finishing up our last week of MSK. It's our first true weekend off in... I don't even know. Maybe since our final exam for biochemistry which was about 8 weeks ago? So we are all ready to decompress!

We're finishing up our last week of MSK. It's our first true weekend off in... I don't even know. Maybe since our final exam for biochemistry which was about 8 weeks ago? So we are all ready to decompress!
I thought you had some sort of insight into an admission decision comig in 4 days haha. You're killing me!

I thought you had some sort of insight into an admission decision comig in 4 days haha. You're killing me!
Maybe an emission decision if we do poorly enough on the final.

This is maybe a long shot, but I'm interviewing on Saturday (the later interview time) and staying in town from Friday to Sunday because of flight availability. I've never been to Missouri, so I was wondering if anyone else interviewing the same day (or current students who aren't completely slammed) might want to get dinner or something?

Does anyone know what day the adcoms meet for applicant reviews?
Trying to figure out when acceptances are sent out. The wait is slowly killing me lol
Killing me too, but I am not sure, they sent decisions 4 weeks after for the 9/12 and 9/13 groups but that might not be a consistent trend. I guess we will have to see after 10/23 passes and if the 9/19 and 9/23 interviews have heard anything by then.

Last edited:
I interviewed 9/13 and thought it went really well... haha guess not!?!?
Maybe contact them? I can't remember 100% but I think they said they give everyone a decision in the given timeframe they won't just leave you hanging, but also maybe they were on a timeframe and just couldn't review everyone's app in the same meeting? It's all just speculation as of now

Maybe contact them? I can't remember 100% but I think they said they give everyone a decision in the given timeframe they won't just leave you hanging, but also maybe they were on a timeframe and just couldn't review everyone's app in the same meeting? It's all just speculation as of now
I called yesterday but nothing came of it since there is still another week within the 6 week frame they gave. I really love this school because I felt so at home here. #fingerscrossed

I called yesterday but nothing came of it since there is still another week within the 6 week frame they gave. I really love this school because I felt so at home here. #fingerscrossed
Same, top choice

Don't forget how welcoming they were. They made me feel at home as well. And the Dean just killed it with his presentation. Best presentation I have seen from a Dean.

So I thought a bunch of you would be here for interviews today and I was sad because you would have taken all the study rooms. Instead, I have a wonderful room to cry in before our muskuloskeletal final tomorrow. Good luck to everyone coming in on Saturday! I'll be sleeping.

Completed in mid September waiting for II.
I wonder how long it took you guys to get II after completing?

Completed in mid September waiting for II.
I wonder how long it took you guys to get II after completing?
1 hour, but that was in August, it seems at this point from looking at the forum that it ranges between 2-6 weeks. Probably because they're interviewing and reviewing applicants for interviews and admission decisions all in the same time frame.

I have a lot of respect for the admissions department at this school. Coordinating admissions decisions between 2 campuses while reviewing applications (all in 2-6 weeks for each batch) takes a lot of work I would imagine.

Reactions: 2 users
9/19 Interview date, nothing yet. Wouldn't worry yet with them balancing both campuses! Good luck all.

9/19 Interview date, nothing yet. Wouldn't worry yet with them balancing both campuses! Good luck all.
Has anyone called the admissions office to see when they will let us know?

Has anyone called the admissions office to see when they will let us know?
I don't think they will tell you an exact date unfortunately. I've been checking my email every minute of every day....

I wouldn't call until it has been over 6 weeks. They will just tell you it will be up to 6 weeks.

Tomorrow's the day. I can feel it.

Interviewing in Joplin 10/21 if anyone is going to be around tomorrow evening and wants to grab dinner shoot me a PM.

Did you hear anything yet? Wondering if they started sending out acceptances to those who interviewed 9/19.

Did you hear anything yet? Wondering if they started sending out acceptances to those who interviewed 9/19.
The silence continues. Hopefully next week since 9/23 interviewed on a saturday.

Visited the town and looked at apartments today.

Apartments are amazing!

The town is pretty small, and you can definitely tell when you're in a "tornado area" versus when you're not.

Just finished the interview and wow... that building is amazing. The students seemed really nice, the school is awesome, so many resources. But I definitely didn't click with my interviewer, don't feel like I have any bad/wrong answers but didn't feel like I wowed him at all.

Is there anything to really do around Joplin? I drove through the city and wasn't all that impressed, though the Ozarks aren't far away so that's a plus.

Just finished the interview and wow... that building is amazing. The students seemed really nice, the school is awesome, so many resources. But I definitely didn't click with my interviewer, don't feel like I have any bad/wrong answers but didn't feel like I wowed him at all.
Some interviewers act that way on purpose, i would not worry too much about it.

Some interviewers act that way on purpose, i would not worry too much about it.

I sorta threw me off because a student was telling me that he's super goofy, outgoing, cracks jokes and sings a lot. And then with me he was very serious and dry and asked me a ton of follow questions to almost everything I said. I did sorta get a feelings that he was putting on an act to test me especially after how the one student described him.

I sorta threw me off because a student was telling me that he's super goofy, outgoing, cracks jokes and sings a lot. And then with me he was very serious and dry and asked me a ton of follow questions to almost everything I said. I did sorta get a feelings that he was putting on an act to test me especially after how the one student described him.

Was your interviewer Dr. W? I had the same person if so. Asked me a bunch of follow up questions. Would not let some go lol.

The only thing to do now is wait. I was worried about my interview because the initial question would not get answered since my responses would start a new conversation. All in all whether were accepted, waitlisted, or rejected will tell us how we did.