2017-2018 Kansas City University - Joplin Campus (KCU-COM Joplin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First of all, congratulations (but im also very JELLLY) , would you like to share your stats?
Hahahaha. My grades suck. 510 MCAT 3.17 overall GPA. Under 3.0 overall undergrad science. I hope this is encouraging at least! Though I did have thousands of volunteer hours and hundreds of shadowing hours... too many hours to count.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ohhh okay I misunderstood! Ummmmm... I would personally do the November one. As you get later in the cycle, 1 month can actually be a lot of time .Are you gonna be dead tired if you do that one?

Yeah I got lucky I called my manager and my friend will be playing for me that night!
I will go in November!
Music is important but this is my first med school interview and I value it more!

The building itself is really modern and beautiful. I love the study spaces and classrooms. The lecture hall is gorgeous and also functions as a tornado shelter, which was well thought out (I grew up in tornado alley).
I was also impressed with the curriculum. The first two years are set up to where you're exposed to everything twice- normal functioning the first year and pathology the second. This just seemed to mesh with my learning style. I imagine when we take COMLEX I, it won't have been too long since we were exposed to any one system.
Finally, I just loved the feel of the school. Joplin itself is a good sized city for me. Not too big or too small. Faculty, staff, and students were all friendly and welcoming. And there was just this feeling I had being there; like, "This is it. This is where the knowledge lives."
That's the feeling to get! Great job! I hope you get in!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if there will be the omm and anatomy fellowship in Joplin now?

I wouldn't consider it completely rural but it seemed to be surrounded by nothing (I drove down from KCI) and driving around the town/city it didn't seem like there was much to do, but that might be because it was a Monday. As for the interview day/facilities/faculty, everyone was AMAZING and the campus (all in one building) was beautiful and new. The students were really nice and welcoming although it did seem like they were 100% gung-ho about the 24/7 study lifestyle. Interview itself was extremely laid-back, no set questions and like everyone else said, just go in with knowing why medicine/DO/KCU. Apparently their airport only has two flights a day(?) so traveling in/out may be hard if you're from farther OOS. KCU was also my very first interview and I'm so glad for that because of how excited everyone was in having us there (because it's their first year holding interviews on Joplin campus).

I noticed that when trying to book flights that it was limited in their flights, so now I'm making the drive. It actually ends up being cheaper and faster when factoring in layover times, etc. The rest of this is awesome to know. Excited to see the campus

Does anyone know if the Joplin campus has ultrasounds/ ultrasound education within the curriculum? And how often do students get to use the sim lab?

Does anyone know if the Joplin campus has ultrasounds/ ultrasound education within the curriculum? And how often do students get to use the sim lab?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that ultrasound education is more of a residency thing.

Some medical schools are including ultrasound training into their curriculums. 1st one off the top of my head is SOMA, but I know there is some others.

DMU has ultrasound heavily integrated into the curriculum, I know. During our interview day the curriculum guru lady said, " admittedly not a lot" of ultrasound but that they were " working on it" since the Joplin campus is still in progress.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that ultrasound education is more of a residency thing.
My buddy goes to Western in Oregon and they focus on ultrasound during anatomy

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys, congrats to all those accepted! I'll be interviewing at the Joplin campus 11/4 and had a few questions.

- Is uber pretty reliable here?
- Outside of why DO, why KCU, why medicine, etc..how would you describe the interview questions? Were there many ethical questions or hot topics in medicine type questions? Anything that caught you off guard?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Hi guys, congrats to all those accepted! I'll be interviewing at the Joplin campus 11/4 and had a few questions.

- Outside of why DO, why KCU, why medicine, etc..how would you describe the interview questions? Were there many ethical questions or hot topics in medicine type questions? Anything that caught you off guard?

Interview questions were pretty straight forward. No ethical questions for me, nor anything regarding healthcare reform whatsoever. Although, I know some people did get those questions. Definitely know your secondary. My interviewer started off our interview saying she has just been reviewing my secondary for the past 30 minutes, and she really was interested in some of the things I said. She picked out specifically when I stated that researching has made me a more detail oriented person, and wanted to know what I meant by that. Nothing really caught me off guard, but my interviewer kept a very neutral facial expression similar to how MMI interview stations should be. That was different than my past one-on-ones or even two-on-ones. Hope this helps!

I would definitely try and get Brett on Uber or Lyft if possible. He's a really nice guy and will give you his number and will make plans to pick you up for your interview or flight. Never had to worry about getting a ride and took a lot of stress out of the trip.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a bit late but here are my thoughts regarding my interview/experience at Joplin:
-The town of Joplin was alright, but the cost of living is really low and it seems low stress living there. (Come from a major metropolitan city)
-However, the school itself is amazing. One building as everyone said, plenty of light, plenty of study rooms/areas both solo and group, and tech oriented.
-It's only the medical students, for better or worse, so you miss integrating with nursing, pharmacy, PA students, etc. (I don't know if they do this at DO schools). But you get the whole building to yourself
-Seemed really student oriented and a tight knit of students which I loved to see.
-Interview itself was superrrrrr chill. None of the standard questions and pretty conversational.
-Was able to get a snapchat off of me in a white coat so I could pretend that I was in school already

I flew into Springfield, MO, rented a car, and got an airbnb in Joplin. My host were great and it was a good way to learn more about the town.

Last edited:
Did they mention anything at your interviews about whether the global health track and other programs will be offered?

I got accepted here a few days ago and I'm in the process of deciding between schools to put down a deposit.
Since new schools/branches generally tend to have some issues on the get go, so to all current KCU-Joplin students, honestly speaking, have yall had any problems (major, minor, everything in between) at the school?
Examples being tech issues, or discrepancies in the teaching between the main campus and Joplin?

I got accepted here a few days ago and I'm in the process of deciding between schools to put down a deposit.
Since new schools/branches generally tend to have some issues on the get go, so to all current KCU-Joplin students, honestly speaking, have yall had any problems (major, minor, everything in between) at the school?
Examples being tech issues, or discrepancies in the teaching between the main campus and Joplin?
Dude, i would pick joplin over the main campus in a heartbeat. One words hands on experience on day 1!!!! Like the people in joplin want us there.
Grats on your acceptance though. and what's the name of the other school?

Dude, i would pick joplin over the main campus in a heartbeat. One words hands on experience on day 1!!!! Like the people in joplin want us there.
Grats on your acceptance though. and what's the name of the other school?

I’m deciding between KCU-Joplin and NYITCOM@A-State. As I see it right now the main deciding factors are that KCUCOM has better student outcomes when it comes to COMLEX scores/pass rates (though uncertain if that’ll hold true of the new campus, which is why I asked if there’s been any issues) and better hospital connections. NYITCOM@A-State’s main advantage is having access to all the A-State resources (study space, research opportunities, a gym, etc).

@TroutTrout : The word on the street here is that they are going to work on getting the global health track here 'pending student interest.' There is a lot of interest in that particular track, so I don't think it will be a problem.

@Cheesus: Most of our problems have been relatively minor. Some tech problems with the internet, but I have that at my house no matter how good at working with tech I am :p. I think the worst problem that some students have had is in the Anatomy based courses. Whereas the KC campus has Anatomy Fellows that help with the teaching process, Joplin doesn't have as consistent access to them. That should change over the next couple years as we will be getting Fellows here. For now, they have been bringing the Fellows down a few times every test period to do tutoring sessions. Our Anatomy Practical scores were not so hot since the teaching model, at least in my opinion, really uses the Fellows a lot. But I've heard they are going to start working on that more with us.

On the Physiology side, I think we are just as prepared as the KC campus. Let me know if you have any specific questions!

-It's only the medical students, for better or worse, so you miss integrating with nursing, pharmacy, PA students, etc. (I don't know if they do this at DO schools). But you get the whole building to yourself

This may not be a thing yet, but MSSU (a local state school) has a nursing program, and some PA students already do rotations here. Freeman (one of the hospitals) also hosts Pharmacy students for rotations. There may well be opportunities in the future for collaboration!

I heard they got you gym memberships is that true? And is it at a 24hr? And close to campus?
@DrRedstone

@TroutTrout: We all got memberships to Colaw Fitness, which is about 10 minutes from campus. It is open 24-7 and they now allow you to bring a friend for free each time you go to the gym.

Reactions: 1 users
Are there any good hiking spots nearby? I’ve got a interview on 11/4 and was gonna stay to explore the area. @DrRedstone

Last edited:
My interviewer mentioned a place called the Audubon center that has trails, but idk if they're the type of trails you're looking for haha.

@YogiMed Wildcat Glades (Audubon center) has walking trails, but the closest actual trail is in Arkansas about an hour and a half south of us.

Interview questions were pretty straight forward. No ethical questions for me, nor anything regarding healthcare reform whatsoever. Although, I know some people did get those questions. Definitely know your secondary. My interviewer started off our interview saying she has just been reviewing my secondary for the past 30 minutes, and she really was interested in some of the things I said. She picked out specifically when I stated that researching has made me a more detail oriented person, and wanted to know what I meant by that. Nothing really caught me off guard, but my interviewer kept a very neutral facial expression similar to how MMI interview stations should be. That was different than my past one-on-ones or even two-on-ones. Hope this helps!
+1. Though it seemed like one of my interviewers asked me the same question two or three times, and I could tell he was analyzing something about me from the way he was looking at me. Laid back interview overall, though.

Straight honesty:
Whenever there has been a problem, students make it known and it gets fixed. The only discrepancy I can think of is what structures would be tested over in anatomy practicals - but they had the problem fixed by next exam. There were surprisingly fewer "kinks" than I expected, and we're working them all out for you guys :) I don't foresee much problem in the future.

Many of my friends at other schools have problems with faculty not valuing the opinions of the students, or putting the university over the desires and goals of the individual student. There is absolutely none of that here - I feel valued and like the faculty wants each of us to complete our goals.

I know that sounds like I was paid to say that, but my first 3 months here have been nothing short of blessed.

Straight honesty:
Whenever there has been a problem, students make it known and it gets fixed. The only discrepancy I can think of is what structures would be tested over in anatomy practicals - but they had the problem fixed by next exam. There were surprisingly fewer "kinks" than I expected, and we're working them all out for you guys :) I don't foresee much problem in the future.

Many of my friends at other schools have problems with faculty not valuing the opinions of the students, or putting the university over the desires and goals of the individual student. There is absolutely none of that here - I feel valued and like the faculty wants each of us to complete our goals.

I know that sounds like I was paid to say that, but my first 3 months here have been nothing short of blessed.

I second this!

Hey guys I interviewed on Sept 28th, havent heard anything back, is it too soon to be getting nervous? :(

Hey guys I interviewed on Sept 28th, havent heard anything back, is it too soon to be getting nervous? :(

Up to 6 weeks means you should get a response by November 9th. Don't stress too much, it doesn't mean you aren't a good candidate.

Interviewed 10/21. Going to be the longest 4 1/2 weeks ever. Really hoping I end up in Joplin.

Interviewed 10/21. Going to be the longest 4 1/2 weeks ever. Really hoping I end up in Joplin.
I did some research on the older forums for KCU and predicted a 2 week turn around time based on those. Boy was I wrong this year haha.

I did some research on the older forums for KCU and predicted a 2 week turn around time based on those. Boy was I wrong this year haha.
It really just depends on the time of the year. You guys are in the busy season for interviews. It takes a bit longer to process.

It really just depends on the time of the year. You guys are in the busy season for interviews. It takes a bit longer to process.
Oh yeah, and I bet coordinating between two campuses can be a nightmare.

Accepted, interviewed 9/23. Hopefully, everyone else that was there hears good news soon!

Anyone interviewing on this Saturday (11/4) wanna grab something to eat Friday?

Are lectures at Joplin recorded / live-streamed?
How often are exams?
How is the night life in Joplin?

Are lectures at Joplin recorded / live-streamed?
How often are exams?
How is the night life in Joplin?

Most lectures are recorded, there are some required lectures that are not recorded. Those are usually outside clinicians coming in to lecture.

Exams are every 2-3 weeks. Biochemistry has tests at week 1 and 3. It just depends on the course. We also have courses like Principles of Clinical Medicine and Osteopathic Skills that have tests sprinkled throughout the semester.

There is basically no night life here. But don't worry, you won't have time for that anyway.

Most lectures are recorded, there are some required lectures that are not recorded. Those are usually outside clinicians coming in to lecture.

Exams are every 2-3 weeks. Biochemistry has tests at week 1 and 3. It just depends on the course. We also have courses like Principles of Clinical Medicine and Osteopathic Skills that have tests sprinkled throughout the semester.

There is basically no night life here. But don't worry, you won't have time for that anyway.

Are lectures live-streamed?

Are there any cool bars with darts, pool, etc.?

Where are some good housing options in Joplin and how soon until I will need to start seriously looking? I'm hoping to be somewhere close enough to bike to and from school if possible.

Does anybody know the graduation rate for KCU..meaning how many of the incoming students will graduate?! I heard they drop a number of their students to ensure their scores staying high. Is that correct or fake news?
Thanks everybody

Hey all, just got accepted yesterday. Can any current students comment on where to look for apartments, clinical opportunities in the community and research opportunities? I know that the Score 1 for Health is not offered at Joplin, and I was just wondering if there was any equivalent program.

Also, are you offered the same clerkship sites as the city campus?

Hey all, just got accepted yesterday. Can any current students comment on where to look for apartments, clinical opportunities in the community and research opportunities? I know that the Score 1 for Health is not offered at Joplin, and I was just wondering if there was any equivalent program.

hey congrats, when did you interview?