2017-2018 Kansas City University - Joplin Campus (KCU-COM Joplin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you check with multiple car rental places? I bet you might find one that only makes you pay about half that for two days. Well that might also depend on the type of car you're trying to rent. Anyway, I just never totally rely on a Uber or Lyft for something that important.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile
Unfortunately it is. Checked multiple sites and $150 is the cheapest I will get after taxes/fees and $11/day for insurance even for the compact/economy cars. Oh well though. Any idea how the taxi services are?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, accepted student here. I have a question for current students who may or may not have an answer... does this school support us doing clinical rotations at home should we want to or do they require/prefer us to do them in Missouri?

Flew into Springfield and rented a car for about 50 a day, and that was only cause I’m under 25.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, accepted student here. I have a question for current students who may or may not have an answer... does this school support us doing clinical rotations at home should we want to or do they require/prefer us to do them in Missouri?
They prefer us to do our core clerkships (3rd year) in the Joplin area, but they are working out the details for that still.

So can we talk more about the in-class social scene? @Mo'MedMules @DrRedstone

Do people in your class go out together regularly on the weekends? Is there even enough time for this? I have more healthy means of stress management but sometimes nothing can beat just tying one on for the night and singing karaoke.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey! Can someone accept me in the Facebook group or is it only the admin?

Thanks

Hey! Can someone accept me in the Facebook group or is it only the admin?

Thanks
I can try to add you in. But you would have to PM me your name. The moderator is pretty quick though so he should add you in a couple of days max if you requested to join.

Did it take the full 6 weeks to receive a decision or do they say that to be safe? Seems like a longer timeline than many other schools.

Did it take the full 6 weeks to receive a decision or do they say that to be safe? Seems like a longer timeline than many other schools.
It is up to 6 weeks. You could very well get a response before then. Don't freak out until after 6 weeks.

Excited to meet a lot of you in 3 weeks! Hoping to maybe meet some current students for a drink the night before accepted student day.

Members don't see this ad :)

Do people in your class go out together regularly on the weekends? Is there even enough time for this? I have more healthy means of stress management but sometimes nothing can beat just tying one on for the night and singing karaoke.

Can anyone comment on this? I am actually very interested to know more.

Can anyone comment on this? I am actually very interested to know more.
If you go thru earlier posts it was discussed. There is plenty to do in Joplin and plenty of bars. Finding people to go out with should not be an issue. I'll drink with you

Reactions: 5 users
I just thought of this. For Accepted Students Day, is there a certain level of dress code? As in, should we dress business casual?

Hey all, I saw that a very bones block schedule was posted. There isn't anything listed for Thanksgiving, can current students comment on what days they got off?

Hey all, I saw that a very bones block schedule was posted. There isn't anything listed for Thanksgiving, can current students comment on what days they got off?
We had lectures up to noon on Wednesday.

Where did you find the schedule?

Unfortunately can't make it to Accepted Student Day :(

But can anyone suggest some specific apartment complexes in the area? After some searching I only found the Plaza, Rustic Ridge and Terrace Green that were around my desired quality/price range.

Unfortunately can't make it to Accepted Student Day :(

But can anyone suggest some specific apartment complexes in the area? After some searching I only found the Plaza, Rustic Ridge and Terrace Green that were around my desired quality/price range.
I’ve been searching for 1 bedroom apartments and so many are booked. I’m going down and going to search for apartments. I can PM you after the accepted students day and let you know our best options!

I’ve been searching for 1 bedroom apartments and so many are booked. I’m going down and going to search for apartments. I can PM you after the accepted students day and let you know our best options!

I am looking as well. I am going to try to look that weekend while I am in the area.

That'd be awesome. Definitely let me know.

I can’t make accepted students day but going to look for apartments in April. Hoping there will be more availability when MSSU classes end in May!

I interviewed on Feb 8th at the Joplin campus! Any idea if there still seats available? Most of the students who interviewed late Jan in KC campus were waitlisted yesterday.

Getting some serious FOMO choosing not to go to accepted students day... Anyone driving down from the Illinois/Iowa/Wisconsin/Indiana area who wants to car pool?

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow.

Specifically [person], if you happen to read this. ;)

I just realized I accidently put something really bad on the application for this school. I'm actually kind of surprised they haven't just out-right rejected me. So, this sucks because this was one of my top 5 choices but I wish the rest of you good luck!

I just realized I accidently put something really bad on the application for this school. I'm actually kind of surprised they haven't just out-right rejected me. So, this sucks because this was one of my top 5 choices but I wish the rest of you good luck!

Now I want to know the story!

Hi, sorry for the late response.
Don't know if you got the answer you were wanting.
We actually do have more time than I originally thought we would. I think Kansas City campus goes out more than our class does, but classmates do go out often. Lots of birthday parties. It'll depend on the personality of your class - I'd say our classes personality is super laid back, whereas KC campus seems more rambunctious. So it depends.
It's easier bar/casual drink access if you live downtown. Some of the popular apartments are out where nothing is going on.

Sorry to hear that!!!
In my own application to KCU I switched up the essays and put them in the wrong spots for the prompt, as well as misspelling Joplin!!! God is good.
Hope everything pans out!!!

Hi, sorry for the late response.
Don't know if you got the answer you were wanting.
We actually do have more time than I originally thought we would. I think Kansas City campus goes out more than our class does, but classmates do go out often. Lots of birthday parties. It'll depend on the personality of your class - I'd say our classes personality is super laid back, whereas KC campus seems more rambunctious. So it depends.
It's easier bar/casual drink access if you live downtown. Some of the popular apartments are out where nothing is going on.

Yeah I would say a majority of my classmates here get out and party hard. It’s impressive to say the least.

Sorry to hear that!!!
In my own application to KCU I switched up the essays and put them in the wrong spots for the prompt, as well as misspelling Joplin!!! God is good.
Hope everything pans out!!!
Sounds similar to me lmao Did they ever bring that up during the interview? If it was just misspelled once, I can see admins letting that slide but mine was more than just a misspelling (or can think of it as a "'misspelling" to a great degree), and more than once. So, even if I somehow got the interview, I don't want to face them, explain what happened, and try to weasel my way out of it.
Now I want to know the story!
I was going to explain but got embarrased and just wanted to go in a corner and bang my head against the wall. Also didn't want the KCU admins to ID me if they happen upon this thread. But changed my mind again. I took an essay I wrote for another school, tailored it to KCU but forgot to change the campus name... Probably because filling these applications out was the first time I heard of the majority of these schools and I mixed up the name Joplin with another campus in a similar area

Last edited:
In terms of housing, what do most students do or are planning on? Trying to get an idea because I want to look and hopefully get on a list next weekend when I come visit for Accepted Students Day.

In terms of housing, what do most students do or are planning on? Trying to get an idea because I want to look and hopefully get on a list next weekend when I come visit for Accepted Students Day.
I plan on going the apartment route. Found a few places I'd be down to live at, now just hoping they have availability.

I plan on going the apartment route. Found a few places I'd be down to live at, now just hoping they have availability.
That was kind of what I was thinking too. I've seen some online and I am hoping to be on a list by the time that I head home

Current Students: What are your summer plans? I know this sounds neurotic but I am just curious what some of the first years are doing in the summer. I figure it will give me a good idea of what is doable in a years time.

So for current students when did you guys secure an apartment? I am looking for a single bedroom apartment right now and am having trouble finding availability.

Has anyone heard back from 2/8?

Has anyone heard back from 2/8?

I interviewed later than you, but at my interview, they told me to wait 6 weeks. If what they told me is also accurate to your interview pool, it means that you might still be waiting for 2-3 more weeks.

I interviewed later than you, but at my interview, they told me to wait 6 weeks. If what they told me is also accurate to your interview pool, it means that you might still be waiting for 2-3 more weeks.

Yeah it took exactly 6 weeks for most people. sorry fam

Thanks for the info! I was just hoping it would be sooner. Patiently waiting! Lol