2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So based on this, it appears that the A.M. interviewees may be at a slight disadvantage? Interviewing before time with student ambassadors.

Members don't see this ad.

So based on this, it appears that the A.M. interviewees may be at a slight disadvantage? Interviewing before time with student ambassadors.

You will have more than enough time with the student ambassadors. KCU doesn't have any of the traditional presentations given by admissions team. Literally the 99% of interview day will be with student ambassadors.

You will have more than enough time with the student ambassadors. KCU doesn't have any of the traditional presentations given by admissions team. Literally the 99% of interview day will be with student ambassadors.
But with A.M., you're not with the ambassadors until after your interview it appears. I've read that they carry little to no power in the admission decision but will tell you a bit about your interviewer to prepare you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
But with A.M., you're not with the ambassadors until after your interview it appears. I've read that they carry little to no power in the admission decision but will tell you a bit about your interviewer to prepare you.

Mine lightly discussed the MMI and gave us some non-specific tips while the other group jumped right in.

@aspiremd84 Do you know if the schedule is the same for the Joplin campus? Sorry, I should have specified that I'm interviewing at that location.

@aspiremd84 Do you know if the schedule is the same for the Joplin campus? Sorry, I should have specified that I'm interviewing at that location.
Oops sorry I only know KC since I'm scheduled there..pretty sure they'll be the same but reach out to adcoms if they're not working like a couple weeks before your scheduled date

Mine lightly discussed the MMI and gave us some non-specific tips while the other group jumped right in.

I was under the impression there was no MMI here and only a ~30 min interview. Is that not the case?

Reactions: 1 users
I was under the impression there was no MMI here and only a ~30 min interview. Is that not the case?
Based on interview feedback on here, bolded is interview format. I've heard no mention of MMI here outside of this comment. Some people think that MMI is just an abbrevation for interview haha.

Can any current KCU students comment on what kind of subject material is tested? I've read (or so I thought) that some schools follow some standardized material for testing that makes it much easier to study for, whereas other schools just wing it according to the whims of the professor and what they want to test on. How does KCU do it, and do you feel the tested material is relevant and worthy of studying vs. minutiae you'll never need?
The ciriculum is very exact to where each lecture has learning objectives based around board material and most all exam questions testing different orders of knowledge of those LOs

Based on interview feedback on here, bolded is interview format. I've heard no mention of MMI here outside of this comment. Some people think that MMI is just an abbrevation for interview haha.
No MMI

To clear things up:

YOU WILL have time with Student Ambassadors if you have an AM interview. They will talk to you about the school and who your interviewer is and what he or she is like.

There is NOT an MMI. Classic 30 minute interview, very relaxed.

Please let me know if you have any more questions on the interview day:) Have fun!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

TBH, the student ambassadors will tell you a little bit about the interviewer, but it's not info that will give you a leg up... It's more to calm your nerves so you can realize that behind the interviewer is a real life person just like you and me. Anyway, I think that's beside the point here...

I'm a little late to the party, but here are my stats:

MCAT: applied with a 501, but retook on 8/19/17 and received a 507
Complete: 9/6
Interview offer: 9/8
I picked "both" for campus preference, so I had the choice of interviewing at either campus. I signed up to interview at Joplin in October, since the earliest KC campus date was in December.

Good luck to everyone interviewing/applying here, and I hope to see some of you in Joplin soon!

II on 13th, interview at Joplin campus on the 4th of november! Yay! :D

Do we need to bring any forms or government issued documents for the interview?

Do we need to bring any forms or government issued documents for the interview?

Not at all! I always bring my driver's license in case, but KCU didn't ask to check it.

TBH, the student ambassadors will tell you a little bit about the interviewer, but it's not info that will give you a leg up... It's more to calm your nerves so you can realize that behind the interviewer is a real life person just like you and me. Anyway, I think that's beside the point here...
Not really beside the point here when it was my original question lol. I understand where you're coming from though-- Whether or not you have time to hear about your interviewer won't be the bottleneck for acceptance.

Not really beside the point here when it was my original question lol. I understand where you're coming from though-- Whether or not you have time to hear about your interviewer won't be the bottleneck for acceptance.

I more wanted to say something along the lines- don’t even worry about anything else but being relaxed and being yourself.

I more wanted to say something along the lines- don’t even worry about anything else but being relaxed and being yourself.
Reading up on the website has me so excited for this interview.

Reading up on the website has me so excited for this interview.

Excited to hear back from you when you’re done with it! It was the chilliest interview I’ve had. The school is all about making students feel welcome and they really live up to that motto.

so i hear they are blind to your primary and have access to your secondary. Does this mean they can ask about your letters of recs? or do they just have your secondary essays?

so i hear they are blind to your primary and have access to your secondary. Does this mean they can ask about your letters of recs? or do they just have your secondary essays?

I don't think they would ask about letters. My interviewer literally had my secondary printed out in front of him with notes made on it and that's where the conversation was centered the whole time!

Reactions: 2 users
They have access to your secondary app. However I was a little confused because my interviewer mentioned something I put in my primary app and only in the primary app. So I don't really know what to think of that.

Just essays

Will be canceling my interview at the Joplin campus; hope it goes to one of you guys!

:( accepted elsewhere?

Yep! I have nothing but positive things to say about this program/my interactions with it. I was just accepted at a program much closer to home and I know it'd be hard for me/my fiancee to leave our families behind!

Yep! I have nothing but positive things to say about this program/my interactions with it. I was just accepted at a program much closer to home and I know it'd be hard for me/my fiancee to leave our families behind!

I have the exact same predicament !! 10 min from family (free food between studying) or awesome KCU?!

Does anyone know if I can let the interviewers know that I now have a bit of a campus preference even though originally I put that I wanted to be considered for both? I still want to be considered for both because KCU is an amazing school no matter which campus, but it only just came to my attention that a couple of the opportunities I'm interested in doing if accepted are only available at the Kansas City campus.

Does anyone know if I can let the interviewers know that I now have a bit of a campus preference even though originally I put that I wanted to be considered for both? I still want to be considered for both because KCU is an amazing school no matter which campus, but it only just came to my attention that a couple of the opportunities I'm interested in doing if accepted are only available at the Kansas City campus.
I don't think you can officially change your preference after secondary submission, but if/when you interview, you can express your interest in those certain opportunities that you mentioned are only available in KC. If you didn't pick a preference, the interviewers are supposed to match you to the campus they think you would be best suited for. I'm sure if you expressed interest in things only available at one campus, they would take that into account.

A fellow Canadian? I interview here tomorrow at 10:30am and might be able to grab some dinner later on.

Excited to interview at KCU-Joplin tomorrow. Anyone want to grab a bite to eat and a beer tomorrow night after the interview? My flight doesn't leave until the Sunday morning, and I would prefer to eat with a fellow interviewee than by myself!

My application is rural-heavy. My interviewer talked to me about how Joplin was a rural campus, but ultimately that the interviewers have no say in where the students are placed. It's the higher-ups for each campus that fight over the applicants under the current system.

My application is rural-heavy. My interviewer talked to me about how Joplin was a rural campus, but ultimately that the interviewers have no say in where the students are placed. It's the higher-ups for each campus that fight over the applicants under the current system.
ANY ethical questions,?

[I answered my own question and edited this post~ oops! lol]

Anyone know when KCU accepts their first batch? Have they already?

Anyone know when KCU accepts their first batch? Have they already?
I'm not sure. I was there for the first day of interviews and the wait is agonizing ! They said it will likely be 3-4 weeks. So I'm guessing another week or two from now.

I'm not sure. I was there for the first day of interviews and the wait is agonizing ! They said it will likely be 3-4 weeks. So I'm guessing another week or two from now.
When was that first day of interviews?

After my interview, I honestly don't think I could have been more impressed with this school. Friendly staff, happy students, great facilities (got to see both KC and Joplin), execelent cirriculum, and amazing communities. Hope to hear more.

After my interview, I honestly don't think I could have been more impressed with this school. Friendly staff, happy students, great facilities (got to see both KC and Joplin), execelent cirriculum, and amazing communities. Hope to hear more.
Hope you don't mind sharing if you chose a preference for campus location? Also, which location you interviewed at?

No preference in the app. Interviewed at Joplin, have a friend at KC who showed me the Kansas City Campus today before my flight. Both are beautiful, KC being much larger but not as new.