2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
9-19 checking in. Hope to hear back soon because it’s a question of KCU vs another DO school that I have to inform by November

Members don't see this ad.

Did I get a silent rejection? I submitted my primary over 1.5 months ago and never got a secondary. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Did I get a silent rejection? I submitted my primary over 1.5 months ago and never got a secondary. Thoughts?

That would only happen if you don't meet the minimum requirements... 3.25 Science and Cumulative GPA, 501 MCAT.

So there's a 75% post interview acceptance? That's really hard to believe but hey I'll take it

Accidentally washed my KCU shirt from interview day without having worn it yet... Hopefully this reverse jinxes me somehow and I hear good news today

Reactions: 5 users
Accidentally washed my KCU shirt from interview day without having worn it yet... Hopefully this reverse jinxes me somehow and I hear good news today

They give out shirts!?!?!?!?

Reactions: 1 users
Oh snap I should have worn my shirt. I keep checking my phone during breaks hoping for that acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who did the secondary did you take a medical approach for the third question about failure? Did you keep it in the science field or did you expand on something different?

For those of you who did the secondary did you take a medical approach for the third question about failure? Did you keep it in the science field or did you expand on something different?

Completely unrelated to science.

II a few minutes ago! Was complete 9/8. The only available date was 2/22 :(

I talked about sports for mine.

Reactions: 1 user
for anyone that has interviewed already- were you asked questions regarding the Affordable Care Act? An interview book I read said that you should be well-versed in ACA and as it feels like it is changing everyday, I am definitely NOT well versed in it. (I know I will have to be as a physician, but for now I'm wondering solely for interview prep reasons)

for anyone that has interviewed already- were you asked questions regarding the Affordable Care Act? An interview book I read said that you should be well-versed in ACA and as it feels like it is changing everyday, I am definitely NOT well versed in it. (I know I will have to be as a physician, but for now I'm wondering solely for interview prep reasons)
I wasn't asked questions about this. However, I wasn't asked any "typical" interview questions, so maybe others can comment as well.

I had a few general questions like why medicine and what do you do when you fail a test, after that it turned into a general conversation. We even talked about how we both read through antivaxxer blogs and the ridiculous things we saw in them.

I've been preparing with the "typical" Why DO/Why KCU/Why Medicine questions because it seems thats what some people were asked- do you have any tips on other things I should prepare? I've printed & memorized my applications so as to be prepared for any questions regarding that but I'm still so anxious!

I've been preparing with the "typical" Why DO/Why KCU/Why Medicine questions because it seems thats what some people were asked- do you have any tips on other things I should prepare? I've printed & memorized my applications so as to be prepared for any questions regarding that but I'm still so anxious!
They only have your secondary so just know that well. Otherwise, I honestly felt like there was no way to prepare for the KCU interview. If you're outgoing and can carry on a coversation then you'll probably do well. I might be eating these words if I'm waitlistedor rejected though haha.

Reactions: 2 users
It sounds like you're well prepared, I know it sounds simple but just relax and be yourself on the interview day. I remember being super nervous but when I sat down it all chilled out. Also don't worry about not being able to address something you think is important, like many have said before they are more evaluating your ability to have a conversation rather than if you can answer scripted questions.

Hey guys! I'm interviewing on 10-26. I'm in a bit of a predicament. I'm interviewing at Kansas City at 10 am. They said not to book flights until after 6 pm. The only flight I could find was at 5:20 pm. I could leave at 6:15 but that ticket is $300 more. Is it that much of a problem if I am leaving at this time? I'm worried. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Hey guys! I'm interviewing on 10-26. I'm in a bit of a predicament. I'm interviewing at Kansas City at 10 am. They said not to book flights until after 6 pm. The only flight I could find was at 5:20 pm. I could leave at 6:15 but that ticket is $300 more. Is it that much of a problem if I am leaving at this time? I'm worried. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

I’d send an email to the Admissions department or actually I’d call them tomorrow morning. They schedule your interviews between 2ish-4:30 so if you let them know you should be okay!

I’d send an email to the Admissions department or actually I’d call them tomorrow morning. They schedule your interviews between 2ish-4:30 so if you let them know you should be okay!

Thanks so much for the info and your advice! I contacted them and they told me they would "try to schedule me in one of the earlier interview groups". I think I'll call them the day before to confirm everything is ok? Or should I leave it alone?

I'm interviewing this Saturday, 10/21 in Joplin. Anyone else going to be there and want to get dinner Friday!?

I'm interviewing this Saturday, 10/21 in Joplin. Anyone else going to be there and want to get dinner Friday!?

Im Flying into KC and driving to Joplin. Should be there around 6ish.

Interviewing in Joplin 10/21 if anyone is going to be around tomorrow evening and wants to grab dinner shoot me a PM.

If anyone is going to be around evening of 10/25 please PM me! I'd also like to have dinner with someone!

I'm flying into Tulsa and should be there around 6 as well. Lets do dinner! PM me
I’m flying in earlier in the afternoon, but I would like to be a part of this! :)

I’m getting to Joplin pretty late but if anyone wants to do something after the interview on Saturday

If anyone cares to know the deposit to hold your spot is due December 15th. I am not sure if that changes with later interview dates as I was apart of the first round of students being interviewed.

For those who have finished the secondary, is talking about school/work/volunteering for the "multiple obligations" essay ill-advised?

I saw someone ask this earlier in the thread and there was a mix of answers. Some people said yes, some people said not to... I figured to take a survey again anyway.

Any advice is much appreciated!!!

For those who have finished the secondary, is talking about school/work/volunteering for the "multiple obligations" essay ill-advised?

I saw someone ask this earlier in the thread and there was a mix of answers. Some people said yes, some people said not to... I figured to take a survey again anyway.

I talked about how I started a new job during finals week one year and how they ended up cutting a 7 day training regimen down to 4 days, so I had to balance studying for finals, working my last two weeks at my then current job, and doing well during training (which included presentations and exams). I then discussed how being successful during this period made me realize I could balance multiple tasks and ended up taking on more roles in the community and at school. My interviewer highlighted it and that they were impressed so it seemed well received. I guess it depends on how you present it and what you learned from it.

I talked about how I started a new job during finals week one year and how they ended up cutting a 7 day training regimen down to 4 days, so I had to balance studying for finals, working my last two weeks at my then current job, and doing well during training (which included presentations and exams). I then discussed how being successful during this period made me realize I could balance multiple tasks and ended up taking on more roles in the community and at school. My interviewer highlighted it and that they were impressed so it seemed well received. I guess it depends on how you present it and what you learned from it.

Thank you! I appreciate the response!

I just wanted to make sure that it was an acceptable approach to the question.

They had the same essay last year I spoke about when I had kidney failure through a semester where I had 21 credit hours and then got into a car accident and was concussed 2 days before finals week. That seemed to do the trick

Aye 9/23 group we might here on Monday or Tuesday assuming they do 4 weeks like the last group

Current first year here. We just finished MSK (anatomy) and it’s been crazy. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! Definitely make sure you get all your paperwork in! Admissions is allowed to drop you to waitlist if you don’t complete the forms or at least let them know you’ve started the process for Hep B vaccination.

Feel free to ask me any questions here or PM. I was previously a SMP student at KCU and have been in KCMO for over two years. (Originally from San Francisco.)

Good luck to everyone else who’s still waiting. Hang in there!

They had the same essay last year I spoke about when I had kidney failure through a semester where I had 21 credit hours and then got into a car accident and was concussed 2 days before finals week. That seemed to do the trick
Way to show us all up DOCzilla, hope your renal function has improved