2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long does the immunization take from start to finish? I want to wait until I get my Texas MD decisions (either Nov 15 or Feb 1) before I decide to start that list of immunizations.

Hi All,

I hadn't considered KCU due to family/geographic concerns, but have a good friend who attended at loved it. Recently, I received an (i'm sure automatically generated) email from Patricia Harper inviting me to apply because I received some sort of "priority status" due to "success on my MCAT" ... i'm sure this email goes out to everyone who received above a certain score on their MCAT. I have most of my applications in already (MD and DO) but am wondering if its still worth it to apply here? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I hadn't considered KCU due to family/geographic concerns, but have a good friend who attended at loved it. Recently, I received an (i'm sure automatically generated) email from Patricia Harper inviting me to apply because I received some sort of "priority status" due to "success on my MCAT" ... i'm sure this email goes out to everyone who received above a certain score on their MCAT. I have most of my applications in already (MD and DO) but am wondering if its still worth it to apply here? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Did you do well on the MCAT? I'd say go for it, it's definitely not too late.

Reactions: 1 users
How long does the immunization take from start to finish? I want to wait until I get my Texas MD decisions (either Nov 15 or Feb 1) before I decide to start that list of immunizations.
Start it you're going to need the same ones anyway just make sure your doctor documents it

Anyone stay in hotel 816? Is it good? Any fun things to do around there? I'll be getting in at like 2pm so I'll have the day to explore the city

Has anyone seen any sample schedule or outline of the curriculum for years 1&2 at KCU? I know they have outlines for 3&4 but I can’t find one for 1&2.

Anyone stay in hotel 816? Is it good? Any fun things to do around there? I'll be getting in at like 2pm so I'll have the day to explore the city
Don't stay at 816...it is a bad hotel.very dirty especially carpet.

816 was fine. I wouldn't say there's a ton to do around, but definitely some bars/restaurants in walking distances. When I went, there were like 6-8 other interviewees there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
816 was fine. I wouldn't say there's a ton to do around, but definitely some bars/restaurants in walking distances. When I went, there were like 6-8 other interviewees there.

Yeah there are some hit and miss reviews on line. I think it depends on what room you end up getting. I just cancelled my reservation to be safe. The last interview I went to I stayed somewhere that was cheap and the uncleanliness was unsettling.

I have an interview here in November and I'm really hoping we hear back before the December 14th deposit deadline for other schools......I'd go in a heartbeat if accepted here

I have an interview here in November and I'm really hoping we hear back before the December 14th deposit deadline for other schools......I'd go in a heartbeat if accepted here

Rumor has it that if you interveiw you have a HIGH chance of acceptance!!

Pretty sure every medical school requires Hep B so it won't hurt to get a head start.

3 shot series: 0, 1, 6 months. I believe you have to wait 4-6 weeks after final dose to have a titer taken to prove you are immune to Hep B. Get started now if you've never had it or get a QUANTITATIVE titer drawn to see if you're still immune. Most aren't. I had to get the shots again. Save yourself the trouble and triple-check that they send for a QUANTITATIVE titer. They want the actual numbers. If your doctor is unsure etc, KCU can send you a lab draw request with the correct code but you'll have to pay out of pocket for the blood draw.

Congrats & Good luck!

Why are hotels in Kansas City 200+ per night in November?

In the email with your II you should have been given a link to Interview FAQs. Near the bottom KCU provides a list of hotels that offer discounted rates for interviewees. If 816 Hotel doesn't work for you, Hotel Phillips is another option that works with KCU. You have to call the hotel and ask for the KCU interviewee rate. PM me for the link if you can't find it.

Hoping the 9/19 and 9/23 crowd gets some news today!

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I have been receiving e-mails convincing me to apply to KCU-COM due to my competitive MCAT score. They said due to my score I get priority consideration for interviews and secondary applications.

How fast is this priority compared to regular applicants? Does this school place large weight on the MCAT? And when would the interview dates be for priority consideration?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I have been receiving e-mails convincing me to apply to KCU-COM due to my competitive MCAT score. They said due to my score I get priority consideration for interviews and secondary applications.

How fast is this priority compared to regular applicants? Does this school place large weight on the MCAT? And when would the interview dates be for priority consideration?

Thanks!
TBH I think this is just something they send to almost everyone

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys,

Thanks!
I think you should apply! I don't know how quickly things will move for you but I can tell you that because of my mcat score I now get 10 grand off my first years tuition. It's called the presidential recruitment scholarship.

Hasn't even been 4 weeks for y'all yet so I wouldn't count on it fam. Not trying to be mean just going off past evidence from this cycle.
yea it sucks, the past 2 cycles everyone that interviewed in september found out the 2nd friday of october. :( the wait is killer

Anybody from 9/23 think today is the day???
praying so hard for good news. only response Ive gotten from schools so far is a wait list. the waiting each day makes me cry. I've never been this low before

Did the interviews not go well?
I didn't think so, EDIT ( I thought they went well) I've always interviewed very well in the past. The one waitlist though makes me doubt myself pretty hard in that regard. Like a lot of pre meds I hate if myself a lot lol

I didn't think so, EDIT ( I thought they went well) I've always interviewed very well in the past. The one waitlist though makes me doubt myself pretty hard in that regard. Like a lot of pre meds I hate if myself a lot lol
Are there any holes in your application that you believe might be responsible for this? I ask because this scares me considering everyone talking about how high post interview acceptance rates are. If those percentages are true you should've been accepted to at least one

Look, I know I've said it at least twice before on here but... Today is the day. I can really feel it this time.

Reactions: 2 users
Are there any holes in your application that you believe might be responsible for this? I ask because this scares me considering everyone talking about how high post interview acceptance rates are. If those percentages are true you should've been accepted to at least one
Haven't heard back from the rest yet fam. Only thing I can think is that I haven't shadowed a DO, except I recently did that and have been sending update letters

Good luck guys! Seems like just yesterday I was going through the interview process and today we are starting cardio-pulm. You'll get here too. If you're interviewing at KCU relax be yourself, I talked about waffles almost the whole interview. If you're accepted enjoy your free time, do something you've always wanted to do (I hopped on a plane to Europe). If you aren't accepted yet be patient I know classmates that were accepted in the summer, it makes no difference In the end.

Interviewed 10/04, KCUMB is definitely my top choice. Hoping to hear back sooner than 6 weeks! :xf:

It appears that everybody is way behind this year :(

Up surge of applicants???????
I think they are taking larger groups at time. My group had 90 which was a "record" them. More at a time means more to process. More to process can cause a longer wait.

We also can't forget that they're coordinating between 2 admissions teams for the first year.

For the 9/19 interview group. I just got in touch with admissions and they said we should hear back about our decisions by the end of this week.

Reactions: 8 users