2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Soooo...anyone think they'll be conscious of the Dec. 14th deposit deadline for those of us interviewing mid-November and try to get back to us before then? :whistle:

Members don't see this ad.

Soooo...anyone think they'll be conscious of the Dec. 14th deposit deadline for those of us interviewing mid-November and try to get back to us before then? :whistle:

creeped on last year's thread and people who interviewed 11/10 ish heard back within one month. fingers crossed :xf:

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted to Joplin Campus! Interviewed on the 28th. Those with low stats...don't lose hope. My MCAT was a 500, so don't let the 501+ deter you from trying your luck. Loved the school and have a hard decision to make between here and RVU-SU.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted to KC Campus - also interviewed on 9/27 :)

So guys, does anyone know how this waitlist works? Like when does movement start for this school and percent that gets off? Thanks in advance.

So guys, does anyone know how this waitlist works? Like when does movement start for this school and percent that gets off? Thanks in advance.
extremely variable from what I've read, likely to hear by april/may

Nov. 1 was 6 weeks for me too and I received an II today. I emailed them last week and they said they had a large volume of apps to review right now. When I looked back at last years thread, some people received an interview invite after 7-8 weeks so it's still possible to get an II. Good luck to you!
Thanks! Got one yesterday, too!

Just put down my $2,000 to cover matriculation and acceptance at Joplin.

Anyway back to work. That's a lot of working hours....

Reactions: 1 users
Those who have interviewed: could you give us some pointers/tips for the KCU interview? Got one in less than 2 weeks.

Those who have interviewed: could you give us some pointers/tips for the KCU interview? Got one in less than 2 weeks.
Show up on time, say please and thank you. You think I’m kidding... I had 2 other interview where they said “this will be your most laid back interview.” They were no comparison to my kcu interview. It is so laid back. Just know why you want to do medicine and why you would like to go to kcu.

Show up on time, say please and thank you. You think I’m kidding... I had 2 other interview where they said “this will be your most laid back interview.” They were no comparison to my kcu interview. It is so laid back. Just know why you want to do medicine and why you would like to go to kcu.
Nice, thanks for the info! Hopefully you get some good news from them soon, too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted 9/27 to kansas city campus , interviewed at joplin though

hey guys i know this is completely off topic , but since the acceptance ive been debating whether or not i should go to my touro-middletown interview or not. i mean kcu's tuition, reputation and program seem to be better than touro. would love some feedback on this.

hey guys i know this is completely off topic , but since the acceptance ive been debating whether or not i should go to my touro-middletown interview or not. i mean kcu's tuition, reputation and program seem to be better than touro. would love some feedback on this.

I personally would just call it quits and pay the deposit for KCU. If you’re already seeing the pros & cons of both schools and are considering not going to touro at all, you might as well just stick to KCU.

I guess If you have the extra time and money to spare to go to another interview, there’s no harm in that. It’ll let you scope out more schools and maybe give you more insight into what things you can be involved with as an OMS. :) but if you don’t have time or money, I mean... you’ve already got an acceptance into a great school!!!

Edit: This is coming from someone with zero experience btw. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users

When I had an acceptance to KCU I immediately cancelled all remaining interviews.

Things to consider:
1. Is the school performing better than KCU?
2. Is the school cheaper than KCU?
3. Is the school closer to family/home than KCU and performing at a level near KCU?

The first question was the deal breaker for me and I used that as my primary consideration. Obviously you can assess whether or not to go to a school/interview a hundred different ways but those 3 questions are a good start. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 4 users
Man, I'm really nervous for this decision.

All that means is that you and your heart really care about this. Remember this exact feeling when you would have done ANYTHING to get into a med school, and carry it into the brutal long nights of studying when you're finally accepted.

All that means is that you and your heart really care about this. Remember this exact feeling when you would have done ANYTHING to get into a med school, and carry it into the brutal long nights of studying when you're finally accepted.
I've already been accepted to 2 schools. I just liked KCUMB more than them. ;)

I have been recently accepted to KCUMB and I am very excited! There are few questions about the academics at the school that I wanted to ask to current students at KCU:

1) Considering that the curriculum is graded and there is also ranking, what do you have to say about the environment at KCU. Is it very much cut throat or there is still a great camaraderie present?
2) I can't remember, but is it mandatory attendance for class? and also are all the lectures recorded?
3) Being a big class, is it possible to get to know the faculty?
4) KCU is said to have a very difficult curriculum, what does the testing schedule look like? Additionally, do 1st and 2nd years still have time to relax and enjoy the city?
5) Lastly, I have really liked the school and the students I met during my interview. However, I would also like to know about the down-sides (honest opinions) that I should consider while making my decision?

Reactions: 3 users
Despite my low MCAT score (lower than 501), I still got an II there (my science and cumulative GPA were both 3.7 though), and I interviewed at the joplin campus yesterday. I guess they do have a holistic review process. Fingers crossed. I still got 4 more interviews to go this month, but I really like KCU, and if I get accepted, I'll definitely go there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I have been recently accepted to KCUMB and I am very excited! There are few questions about the academics at the school that I wanted to ask to current students at KCU:

1) Considering that the curriculum is graded and there is also ranking, what do you have to say about the environment at KCU. Is it very much cut throat or there is still a great camaraderie present?
2) I can't remember, but is it mandatory attendance for class? and also are all the lectures recorded?
3) Being a big class, is it possible to get to know the faculty?
4) KCU is said to have a very difficult curriculum, what does the testing schedule look like? Additionally, do 1st and 2nd years still have time to relax and enjoy the city?
5) Lastly, I have really liked the school and the students I met during my interview. However, I would also like to know about the down-sides (honest opinions) that I should consider while making my decision?

#1) Zero cut throat, we all help each other and its a great community and I hope you saw that on your interview day.
2) No mandatory attendance aside from 5% of lectures that are interactive. Again, 95% are recorded.
3) Yes the faculty are amazing and VERY open. Big class but all that means is you meet more awesome people.
4) Tests about 1.5 weeks. Not every week.
5) Every school has its things we'd love to improve, but the best part is that the admin and faculty LISTEN to the student and make IMMEDIATE changes. Last year we had all monday tests and now we have a mix which we all like much more. They moved our lab from afternoon before thanksgiving to morning to give us a little more time during break. They canceled a lab after thanksgiving to also give us more time to relax. Just little things like that make the negative things better

Reactions: 4 users
#1) Zero cut throat, we all help each other and its a great community and I hope you saw that on your interview day.
2) No mandatory attendance aside from 5% of lectures that are interactive. Again, 95% are recorded.
3) Yes the faculty are amazing and VERY open. Big class but all that means is you meet more awesome people.
4) Tests about 1.5 weeks. Not every week.
5) Every school has its things we'd love to improve, but the best part is that the admin and faculty LISTEN to the student and make IMMEDIATE changes. Last year we had all monday tests and now we have a mix which we all like much more. They moved our lab from afternoon before thanksgiving to morning to give us a little more time during break. They canceled a lab after thanksgiving to also give us more time to relax. Just little things like that make the negative things better

First year here! I wanted to second all of these things and give my own two cents! I definitely don’t feel like our class is cut throat at all, people are extremely friendly and willing to help each other out whenever they can. And admin does care about us! We were given the Friday before Labor Day weekend off as well as early lab Thursday to maximize that weekend so people could go home and all of it at the request of students! I would say the only negatives I’ve experienced thus far have been regarding the new Joplin campus and having to work out the kinks of having a brand new campus incorporated into our KC campus. But honestly it’s probably been more issues for admin than us to work out so can’t really even complain!

People who were accepted earlier? What was in the letter they said will be arriving in 5-7 business days?

People who were accepted earlier? What was in the letter they said will be arriving in 5-7 business days?
yea it said more info will be sent in the next 5-7 business days. also that the white coat ceremony will be july 28th tentaviely. have you gotten a letter in the mail yet? cuz i need that to get approved for the loan.

yea it said more info will be sent in the next 5-7 business days. also that the white coat ceremony will be july 28th tentaviely. have you gotten a letter in the mail yet? cuz i need that to get approved for the loan.

I got accepted via email on October 11 and I received a followup email on October 20. Additionally, I received an acceptance letter in the mail that was identical to the initial acceptance email I received on October 11. That's all. The follow up email includes matriculation documents and your student ID #, which is what you need for financial aid.

Last edited:
I got accepted via email on October 11 and I received a followup email on October 20. Additionally, I received an acceptance letter in the mail that was identical to the initial acceptance email I received on October 11. That's all. The acceptance email includes matriculation documents and your student ID #, which is what you need for financial aid.
Did it also include info on how to pay to secure your spot? I'm having that nightmare of losing my spot play over and over again haha

Anyone have suggestions on what hotel to stay at for the interview? I know they have recommended places, but I wanted to see what y'all thought.

Anyone have suggestions on what hotel to stay at for the interview? I know they have recommended places, but I wanted to see what y'all thought.
I stayed at La Quinta Inn in North Kansas City. It wasn't bad, $60 a night, free breakfast, and 6 minutes from the school.

Ok! La Quinta inn, Econo Lodge, Quality inn, Days inn, and Holiday inn are reasonable choices within reasonable distance from the campus.

Don't stay at the Econo Lodge. Incredibly unprofessional, room wasn't ready 3 hours after check in and some people were given rooms that weren't even clean.

I got accepted via email on October 11 and I received a followup email on October 20. Additionally, I received an acceptance letter in the mail that was identical to the initial acceptance email I received on October 11. That's all. The acceptance email includes matriculation documents and your student ID #, which is what you need for financial aid.

So the documents and student ID were in the follow up email? and not the initial email right? Thank you.

For all the people that go here, is KCU as hard as people say it is? Someone told me that it is common to see people having to go to counseling for help and having a mental breakdown. Someone can PM as well if that is easier! Thanks!

For all the people that go here, is KCU as hard as people say it is? Someone told me that it is common to see people having to go to counseling for help and having a mental breakdown. Someone can PM as well if that is easier! Thanks!

This is vastly overstated in my experience/opinion. Yes the curriculum is difficult, but the majority of my classmates (first years) are doing just fine and some even find time to socialize once in awhile! Don’t let those telling horror stories dissuade you from going to a school with excellent resources and residency placements.

As a side note, if you ever do need some help our faculty is outstanding and very helpful. From academic support to counseling services there are plenty of people to help you if you need/want it.

This is vastly overstated in my experience/opinion. Yes the curriculum is difficult, but the majority of my classmates (first years) are doing just fine and some even find time to socialize once in awhile! Don’t let those telling horror stories dissuade you from going to a school with excellent resources and residency placements.

As a side note, if you ever do need some help our faculty is outstanding and very helpful. From academic support to counseling services there are plenty of people to help you if you need/want it.

That is my biggest worry because I want to go to a good school but I don't want to be in a situation where I am always feeling stressed out. Thank you.

That is my biggest worry because I want to go to a good school but I don't want to be in a situation where I am always feeling stressed out. Thank you.

I'm not a student here (yet hopefully) but I want to add that if you're a student who gets stressed out/cries themselves to sleep at night because they got a B-, that's not miraculously going to go away when you get to medical school. It is likely that those students who need counseling for their stress and having mental breakdowns never learned to manage it in the first place, especially since pre-meds are notorious for being a bit emotionally immature. Learn to deal with difficulty now and you'll be fine.

Does SDN have threads dedicated to school-specific interview advice? I have an interview at KCU-Joplin on 2/8, and I was hoping for helpful advice/feedback. Thanks!

Does SDN have threads dedicated to school-specific interview advice? I have an interview at KCU-Joplin on 2/8, and I was hoping for helpful advice/feedback. Thanks!
Honestly just be yourself. Know why medicine, KCU, DO. I wasn't asked any of these questions, but some people in my interview group were. You can also use the link I provided if you have a burning desire.

Student Doctor Network

I had mine in Joplin last Saturday (11/4). The whole interview day was very relaxed and laidback. They are not trying to make you feel stressed in any way. Just know what you answered on your secondary app because the interviewer will only have access to it. Then know why medicine, why DO? why KCU? if you have a preference between the two campuses why is that? That's pretty much it. Be ready to have a nice conversation for about 30 mins. In my interview I did much of the asking because they will ask you if you have questions for them, so be sure to have some. In my opinion, I think they are mostly looking for who can really carry on a nice conversation.

At first you are going to feel ungodly stressed. Then the curriculum ratchets up more and you feel even more stressed. At some point though that becomes your new norm like wading into cold water you eventually habituate to it. You begin to operate at such a high level of accumulating information that it's not really stress anymore but a set of tasks that the school makes you complete.

I don't want to sound like I'm disagreeing with my colleague because I'm not. But KCU puts the heat on their students and those that complain about it or make it seem like it's the worst thing ever probably couldn't handle the stress at any other medical school. I would guess that they would tell you the same story at any other competent medical school.

At first you are going to feel ungodly stressed. Then the curriculum ratchets up more and you feel even more stressed. At some point though that becomes your new norm like wading into cold water you eventually habituate to it. You begin to operate at such a high level of accumulating information that it's not really stress anymore but a set of tasks that the school makes you complete.

I don't want to sound like I'm disagreeing with my colleague because I'm not. But KCU puts the heat on their students and those that complain about it or make it seem like it's the worst thing ever probably couldn't handle the stress at any other medical school. I would guess that they would tell you the same story at any other competent medical school.
Ok thank you so much! I appreciate the help. I was picking between NYIT and KCU and I know NYIT is pass/fail but KCU has the better board scores so I didn't want ot be in a situation where I am constantly stressed out.

Ok thank you so much! I appreciate the help. I was picking between NYIT and KCU and I know NYIT is pass/fail but KCU has the better board scores so I didn't want ot be in a situation where I am constantly stressed out.
While you don't want to be stressed out by the curriculum. I feel like that's really what I need to succeed in medical school. English is not my first language, so I have always struggled in the MCAT (highest 500), and by some miracle, they still believed in me and offered me an interview (interviewed on 11/4). If I get accepted that would be my top choice without a second thought because I feel like a tougher curriculum is really going to prepare me for the future and mold me into the fine doctor I want to be. Why do you think their Board scores are so high?