2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I emailed admissions in an attempt to get a sooner interview date, but they responded swiftly with a no lol. Oh well! Just gotta wait til 12/5 now.

Members don't see this ad.

My flight leaves at 6:15 and I am a 10 AM interview scheduled to get done at 4:30, should I be concerned about timing? Has anyone else had a similar flight time at the later interview? I am not sure how big their airport is...

Members don't see this ad :)
My flight leaves at 6:15 and I am a 10 AM interview scheduled to get done at 4:30, should I be concerned about timing? Has anyone else had a similar flight time at the later interview? I am not sure how big their airport is...
Kansas City airport is actually the easiest I've ever been to; however, a flight at 6:15 is pretty risky... Idk how far the school is from the airport. Could you be there by like 445 you think?

Last edited:
Kansas City airport is actually the easiest I've ever been to; however, a flight at 6:15 is pretty risky... Idk how far the school is from the airport. Could you be there by like 445 you think?

Its like 30 minutes so if I could be there by 5? The next flight isn't until the next day though thats the struggle:(

I have the exact same flight time. On their instructions for getting a flight after the interview, they stated after 6pm should be okay. So I think you (and I) should be good to go!

Reactions: 1 user
I have the exact same flight time. On their instructions for getting a flight after the interview, they stated after 6pm should be okay. So I think you (and I) should be good to go!
Exactly thats why I did it!! I was like well technically 6:15 is pass 6 sooo....we can rush to the airport together if your interview is on Thursday haha

While you don't want to be stressed out by the curriculum. I feel like that's really what I need to succeed in medical school. English is not my first language, so I have always struggled in the MCAT (highest 500), and by some miracle, they still believed in me and offered me an interview (interviewed on 11/4). If I get accepted that would be my top choice without a second thought because I feel like a tougher curriculum is really going to prepare me for the future and mold me into the fine doctor I want to be. Why do you think their Board scores are so high?

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

From a current second year - the best advice I can give is starting reading books now. And by now, I mean like yesterday. Especially if English is not your first language. It's possible the curriculum will have changed by the time you guys hit end of first year, but right now pathology is just reading the Robbins pathology textbook. It is definitely brutal at first, and this is coming from the super lame person who spent her childhood with her nose always in a book. If you work on your reading comprehension skills now, it will help you immensely. We hit the GI section and had to read and learn ~150 pages in two weeks (which is A LOT in a textbook). I would honestly go to a bookstore (or amazon.com) and buy a bunch of books (really doesn't matter what, just anything you are interested in) and try to read at least an hour a day.

Reactions: 3 users
From a current second year - the best advice I can give is starting reading books now. And by now, I mean like yesterday. Especially if English is not your first language. It's possible the curriculum will have changed by the time you guys hit end of first year, but right now pathology is just reading the Robbins pathology textbook. It is definitely brutal at first, and this is coming from the super lame person who spent her childhood with her nose always in a book. If you work on your reading comprehension skills now, it will help you immensely. We hit the GI section and had to read and learn ~150 pages in two weeks (which is A LOT in a textbook). I would honestly go to a bookstore (or amazon.com) and buy a bunch of books (really doesn't matter what, just anything you are interested in) and try to read at least an hour a day.
Copy that. I don't have reading comprehension problem, but I'm definitely a slow reader. So I'm definitely going to take your advice and start reading some useful books before I start Med school.

Exactly thats why I did it!! I was like well technically 6:15 is pass 6 sooo....we can rush to the airport together if your interview is on Thursday haha

Mine is in a few weeks! Good luck though!

Twiddling my thumbs in the 816 hotel feeling pretty anxious for tmrw's interview. Anyone have any night-before-the-interview advice?

:c

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Twiddling my thumbs in the 816 hotel feeling pretty anxious for tmrw's interview. Anyone have any night-before-the-interview advice?

:c

Definitely good advice but if you would like a neurotic point of view (don't we all?), Make sure you read over your secondary responses and familiarize yourself with the mission statement and things that make the school unique :)

Disclaimer: I was NOT a relaxed interviewee and was actually told by my interviewer "you can relax". But I was accepted so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: 4 users
Definitely good advice but if you would like a neurotic point of view (don't we all?), Make sure you read over your secondary responses and familiarize yourself with the mission statement and things that make the school unique :)

Disclaimer: I was NOT a relaxed interviewee and was actually told by my interviewer "you can relax". But I was accepted so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Need to balance these out. Stress eating sonics in the lobby is not a good look for me

Reactions: 1 users
What should I get? vv important.. also, any good places to get food?

Get a gin and tonic then walk up the street and go to hopcat and get the crack fries. You won’t be disappointed! And just relax and have confidence in yourself!

Anyone at 816 hotel and a 10am start time want to share an Uber tomorrow morning?—planning to make it to campus by 9:40am.

I’m in love. This school might as well have been called Harkas University of Medicine and Biosciences because it was literally everything i could ask for in a school. PLEASE ACCEPT MEEEEE KCU

Reactions: 8 users
I’m in love. This school might as well have been called Harkas University of Medicine and Biosciences because it was literally everything i could ask for in a school. PLEASE ACCEPT MEEEEE KCU
Any interview information you'd like to mention? Tips, etc... Interviewing next week! Good luck to ya - hope you get in!

That is exactly how I felt!!!

Any interview information you'd like to mention? Tips, etc... Interviewing next week! Good luck to ya - hope you get in!

Be genuinely yourself. Be able to verbalize what type of person/student you are. It IS very relaxed! Make sure you do your research and know why you want to attend there beyond them having a great curriculum.

My experience to a tee! Also, friendliest campus I've visited thus far. Down to earth student ambassadors probably sold me on this school the most, along with staff and faculty. Even had the chance to speak with staff members not involved with the interview process, who were more than happy to chat. Really felt KCU embodied the "friendly Midwest" attitude I've heard so much about but had not had the opportunity to experience before. For some reason I was not expecting much in the way of a campus but was pleasantly surprised that it had a small university feel, with pretty modern facilities. My only concern is that the dumbbells in the gym only go to 100 lbs while I will clearly need 150 lb dumbbells as I am a large, strong man ;)

I had a little freak out last night in my hotel room but had an incredibly positive interview, where I really felt like I put my best foot forward (thx to everyone who responded to my panicky posts yesterday! :)). Lying on my bed in the 816 hotel feeling content...

Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone heard anything about when the information about what vaccines we need, how to complete our background check, etc. will be posted on the matriculation page? I’ve been told by multiple students to start the vaccines ASAP, but I have no idea which ones we need.

Has anyone heard anything about when the information about what vaccines we need, how to complete our background check, etc. will be posted on the matriculation page? I’ve been told by multiple students to start the vaccines ASAP, but I have no idea which ones we need.

I called the admissions office to get the information.

We need a quantative titer for Hep B, Varicella (chicken pox), and MMR.

My Interview Day should be here under health requirement

I was just thinking about that the other day. I haven't been accepted to any schools yet, but since I have 4 interviews this month and 1 in January, should I go ahead and start taking the hepB vaccines since that seems to be the biggest headache? If I get accepted, I don't want to be taken out of the equation just because I wasn't able to finish my vaccine requirements.

Last edited:
On the official youtube channel, I see videos of the first-years doing Grand Rounds (I dont know if this is the right phrase for this). Is this something unique to KCU or do most medical schools do this? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

On the official youtube channel, I see videos of the first-years doing Grand Rounds (I dont know if this is the right phrase for this). Is this something unique to KCU or do most medical schools do this? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

It’s something few DO schools do at the very least! It’s a great experience and a chance to practice something you’ll be doing a lot of in residency.

I took notes on the vaccine.

You will need

1. Rubeola , Rubella , Mumps, Varicella (Chicken Pox): assuming you didnt get them at birth

2. Hepatitis B Vaccine: Have received 3 doses and also have had a titer drawn for immunity or have had a titer drawn for immunity.
3. Influenza Vaccine:
4. TB test.

Accepted to the KC campus!!! Interviewed 10/04.

Reactions: 3 users
Waitlisted.. I am beyond heart broken! This cycle is starting to worry me.

where do i start??? Do people get off the waitlist?

Waitlisted.. I am beyond heart broken! This cycle is starting to worry me.

where do i start??? Do people get off the waitlist?

Ah I'm sorry to hear, but a wait list isn't bad! They do take people off the wait list, although the amount of people they take off the list depends on the year and the movement.

Ah I'm sorry to hear, but a wait list isn't bad! They do take people off the wait list, although the amount of people they take off the list depends on the year and the movement.
How many would you say on average?

How many would you say on average?
Also on the waitlist, looked back 3 years seems like anywhere from 3-8 got taken off on sdn, I usually multiply by 2-3 to take into account people not on here

Also on the waitlist, looked back 3 years seems like anywhere from 3-8 got taken off on sdn, I usually multiply by 2-3 to take into account people not on here
KCU been one of the TOP DO school. I kind of undersand why they would take less than 20 people off of the waitlist. Seriously bummed. The interview went so well that i don't know what to improve

KCU been one of the TOP DO school. I kind of undersand why they would take less than 20 people off of the waitlist. Seriously bummed. The interview went so well that i don't know what to improve
There are a lottttt of factors that go into it here I think, for instance, i interviewed on 9/23 with like 89 other people and given that we are all competitive there mightve been simply just not enough seats to go around. All in all waitlists happen to almost everyone at least once, its fine to be disappointed( i know i was), just pick up and move on to the next for now and hope for some good news in april/may/june

There are a lottttt of factors that go into it here I think, for instance, i interviewed on 9/23 with like 89 other people and given that we are all competitive there mightve been simply just not enough seats to go around. All in all waitlists happen to almost everyone at least once, its fine to be disappointed( i know i was), just pick up and move on to the next for now and hope for some good news in april/may/june
I like how you put it! Was just dying to go to this school. I guess it's all hope from here.

Grats to everyone who got accepted.

Last edited:
Dang, you were WL with those stats? Getting nervous for my interview on Monday :confused:

Dang, you were WL with those stats? Getting nervous for my interview on Monday :confused:
Don't ... most conversational interview you will ever have. They are really trying to get to know you.

yeah, my interview went great and I would not stress out about this one. Besides what I said above I have a feeling going from NY to kc or joplin wouldve been a very difficult transition especially since I have no ties to the area. My gut tells me this is what admissions thought too

Last edited:
yeah, my interview went great and I would not stress out about this one. Besides what I said above I have a feeling going from NY to kc or joplin wouldve been a very difficult transition especially since I have no ties to the area. My gut tells me this is what admissions thought too
Same here, it's something other than the interview. I wish i knew what it was though, but i cant possibly say that i got waitlisted because of the interview. Best interview ever! So, i will start improving in other areas.

My SO is going to be attending law school in KC so hopefully they consider that a tie haha

My SO is going to be attending law school in KC so hopefully they consider that a tie haha
Its more than a tie. I can Def see them offering you an acceptance in hope tha you and your significant other ends up practicing in the area.