2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed on Tuesday. This school absolutely blew me away. I would be ecstatic to attend.

Reactions: 6 users
Oh, totally forgot to mention and this might be useful for some of you:

My interviewer mentioned that they are trying to move towards a more self-guided learning system. She said something about having pre-recorded lectures that students can watch ahead of time, and then using actual class time to go over clinically relevant stuff with the professors, like going through cases etc. She said they have no idea yet how they would implement it because obviously it would require splitting a large class into smaller groups, but I thought it was something interesting to share. It seems like most students don't go to class and just watch the lectures on their own anyways, so I'm not sure what sort of impact this would have.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my acceptance today. Best of luck to everyone with the grind that is the med school application cycle.

My interviewer mentioned that they are trying to move towards a more self-guided learning system. She said something about having pre-recorded lectures that students can watch ahead of time, and then using actual class time to go over clinically relevant stuff with the professors, like going through cases etc. She said they have no idea yet how they would implement it because obviously it would require splitting a large class into smaller groups, but I thought it was something interesting to share. It seems like most students don't go to class and just watch the lectures on their own anyways, so I'm not sure what sort of impact this would have.

I just interviewed on Tuesday as well! I was told very similar things to this. It seems as if first years tend to go to lecture more as it is more guided learning from lectures in comparison to the second year. My student ambassador told me that second year is mostly independent learning, so most people do not attend classes. Personally, I was very impressed by the school. I am from Des Moines and have always wanted to attend DMU, but the impression KCU left on me is going to make it a very difficult decision if I am accepted to both schools.

The interview was EXTREMELY casual. I only had one interviewer, but he was very easy to talk to. It was very conversational and only asked a few questions. Those questions were ones that you get at almost every interview; why medicine? why DO? and he asked one question of, "what would you do in a situation where your integrity was challenged?" Other than those questions, we talked about my expectations for medical school and what I would need out of the school as well in order to help me be successful. Very impressive facilities. They are adding a research track as well, which is very appealing. Only downside was their fitness facilities were a little.... underwhelming. But I guess you can't have it all!

I just interviewed on Tuesday as well! I was told very similar things to this. It seems as if first years tend to go to lecture more as it is more guided learning from lectures in comparison to the second year. My student ambassador told me that second year is mostly independent learning, so most people do not attend classes. Personally, I was very impressed by the school. I am from Des Moines and have always wanted to attend DMU, but the impression KCU left on me is going to make it a very difficult decision if I am accepted to both schools.

The interview was EXTREMELY casual. I only had one interviewer, but he was very easy to talk to. It was very conversational and only asked a few questions. Those questions were ones that you get at almost every interview; why medicine? why DO? and he asked one question of, "what would you do in a situation where your integrity was challenged?" Other than those questions, we talked about my expectations for medical school and what I would need out of the school as well in order to help me be successful. Very impressive facilities. They are adding a research track as well, which is very appealing. Only downside was their fitness facilities were a little.... underwhelming. But I guess you can't have it all!
Good luck friend! I have an II at DMU but am holding off on scheduling it until I hear back from KCU.

I also liked the big/little program they have for the M1/M2s. They really seem to be focused on making sure the students adjust well and are set up for success.

Reactions: 1 user
Checked every possible e mail I had- in spam and trash :shrug: Gosh, I am going to have to be "that" student that calls admission and says-so I saw on SDN that 10/20 interview decisions were released...:help:

I hope they get this going for our class! My analytical chemistry class was set up this way and it was a really great way to learn, for me at least. Also, fldoctorgirl, can you tell me why you are more interested in KCU than DMU? I am waitlisted at DMU and struggling to decide whether I would forfeit my acceptance if pulled off

I hope they get this going for our class! My analytical chemistry class was set up this way and it was a really great way to learn, for me at least. Also, fldoctorgirl, can you tell me why you are more interested in KCU than DMU? I am waitlisted at DMU and struggling to decide whether I would forfeit my acceptance if pulled off
Sure! I'll PM you :)

Not that anyone asked me, but I'm posting this in here for people in the future who browse these forums and are trying to keep a timeline of dates.

Primary submitted: 9/28
Secondary received: 10/18
Secondary submitted: 11/1
App complete: 11/2
II received: 11/15
II scheduled for: 1/26 (dates open from 1/25 and some in February)

~501-505, cgpa 3.75+, sgpa ~3.6, grad gpa 3.8+

10/21 Interview here just anxiously waiting to hear!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm pretty nervous and would love some input/opinions.
I received my II invite 10/5 and the only day available at that time was the morning and afternoon for 2/6. Pressured by the "21 days to schedule or your app will be withdrawn", I immediately scheduled for 2/6, hoping that if it was possible, I could reschedule to an earlier date (which they're saying they're not doing unless it's an emergency). I'm seeing here now that there are so many people who received II after me and scheduled for earlier dates and I'm confused. Why did I get such a late date? Does that mean something - like they're interviewing me for a wait list position?
sGPA 3.6, cGPA 3.75, mcat 505

I received my II invite 10/5 and the only day available at that time was the morning and afternoon for 2/6. Pressured by the "21 days to schedule or your app will be withdrawn", I immediately scheduled for 2/6, hoping that if it was possible, I could reschedule to an earlier date (which they're saying they're not doing unless it's an emergency). I'm seeing here now that there are so many people who received II after me and scheduled for earlier dates and I'm confused. Why did I get such a late date? Does that mean something - like they're interviewing me for a wait list position?

I wouldn't read into it too much. I'm guessing people cancelled interviews and opened up spots after you were already given an invite.

I got an II in September and was in the same boat as you for a February date. I guess it is how it is.

Anyone interviewing on Nov 30th want to go grab some beers and BBQ after? :banana:

10/21 accepted to Joplin campus!

I interviewed on 11/14 and I think that I will go crazy before my decision comes in.

Accepted today to Kansas City Campus!

Interviewed: 10/21
cGPA: 3.50 sGPA: 3.51
MCAT: 502

My interview took place at the Jolpin Campus. Can anybody who has interviewed at the Kansas City location point out at key differences between the campuses? Regardless, so excited!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted today to Kansas City Campus!

Interviewed: 10/21
cGPA: 3.50 sGPA: 3.51
MCAT: 502

My interview took place at the Jolpin Campus. Can anybody who has interviewed at the Kansas City location point out at key differences between the campuses? Regardless, so excited!
Are you in state dude?

Accepted today to KC Campus. Interviewed in Joplin 10/21.
3.4 GPA, 509 MCAT

Also interested to hear if anyone is aware of any major differences between the campuses. Or just the general impression of someone who interviewed at the KC campus.

Received my II today!! I was complete October 15th.
OOS and 68LM

Is it better to schedule an afternoon interview? 10Am instead of the 8Am one? Im thinking because ill have the opportunity to talk with upper years and get to know more about the school so I don't have to worry about asking my interviewers basic questions about the program. Also it'll help me get the pre-interview jitters out aha :)

any thoughts?

OOS and 68LM

Is it better to schedule an afternoon interview? 10Am instead of the 8Am one? Im thinking because ill have the opportunity to talk with upper years and get to know more about the school so I don't have to worry about asking my interviewers basic questions about the program. Also it'll help me get the pre-interview jitters out aha :)

any thoughts?

If you are not a morning person choose the later option. You’ll have a student ambassador that you can ask questions about the school no matter what time you interview.

OOS and 68LM

any thoughts?

I always strongly prefer afternoon interviews. Meeting other people, getting a tour, and having lunch with other applicants/medical students sets me in the solid mindset and attitude for the interview. I get to ease into it. The one time I had a morning interview, my whole game felt thrown off.

Has anyone looked at the immunization page? At one part it says to email documents directly to SentryMD. Under the Joplin tab, it says to "order an immunization package" from the PreCheck website ($55). What is this "immunization package?

Primary Submitted: 9/17
Secondary Invite: 10/20 (took a while to get my DO LOR)
Secondary Submitted: 11/9
Interview Invite: 11/17 - scheduled for 1/25 at 8am, Kansas City Campus

MCAT: 510, GPA: 3.49, OOS

OOS and 68LM

any thoughts?
So it really depends on if you just want to get your interview out of the way or be "more prepared" for your interview. I interviewed in the morning (first group of the day) thinking that I would be a nervous wreck if I didn't interview right away; however, I wished I had done afternoon at the end of my interview day. As a morning interviewer, sure I got it out of the way, but morning interviewees didn't get to talk to student ambassadors, hear the speech given by the dean, do the Q&A with the ambassadors (best part of the day imo) before the interview. So I ended up asking many questions during my interview that were answered later by student ambassadors or the dean. I was accepted, but I feel like I kind of lucked out having an interviewer who asked unconventional questions that I couldn't prepare for really.

Edit: This was at the Joplin campus.

first year medical student- Congrats to all of you who has been accepted to KCU. It is indeed a great school with challenging curriculum but than again that will serve you well when you take boards and do clinical rotations. Keep your chin up for those who are wait-listed, it is far from over. if you have any questions, message me privately.

Doesn't KCU have like an 80% post-interview acceptance rate? Signals that the interview is not exactly stressful.
I think the general consensus is 60-70% post-interview acceptance rate. Yeah the interview itself wasn't stressful at all; the fact that it was an interview day for medical school makes the day inherently stressful though if that makes sense. I guess my point is I was surprised how much information afternoon interviewees were given vs morning interviewees were given before interviews. If you do end up with an interviewer that is more traditional i.e. why medicine, why DO, why KCU then you could benefit from an afternoon interview.

Accepted to the KC campus yesterday! Interviewed on 10/21 in Joplin, was kind of hoping for that campus, but ecstatic that I'm accepted! Stats are in my signature. :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Are you going to attend the school?
Accepted to the KC campus yesterday! Interviewed on 10/21 in Joplin, was kind of hoping for that campus, but ecstatic that I'm accepted! Stats are in my signature. :)

Are you going to attend the school?
So far it's my only acceptance, so tentatively! I'm waiting to hear from a lot of places, but my stats are super mediocre, so I'm just so thrilled that I get to be a doctor!

Reactions: 3 users
So far it's my only acceptance, so tentatively! I'm waiting to hear from a lot of places, but my stats are super mediocre, so I'm just so thrilled that I get to be a doctor!

Lol i totally understand and good luck

Accepted 2 weeks ago! Found out exactly 6 weeks after my interview!

Got an II. I'm sad the interview dates were all next year, but excited to interview at such a great school.

Can someone tell me good things about their school? Such as research opportunities, I am interviewing soon but their website doesn't go in that much detail, unless I can't find it.