2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So let's say you recently got married, do you have to let the schools that you've interviewed with know about that? Or does it even matter?

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I will be withdrawing my seat. Hope it goes to one of you lovelies

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People that got wait listed, have any of you been taken OFF the wait list???
Sincerely,
Broken hearted waitlister (got the email this morning) :(

A lot of people get off the wait list, don't worry about it too much for now. You probably won't be offered a seat until after they fill the class with regular acceptances, but I am not 100%. Send a letter of intent if (and only if) KCU is your top pick. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted (Kansas City)! Interviewed on 10/24

People that got wait listed, have any of you been taken OFF the wait list???
Sincerely,
Broken hearted waitlister (got the email this morning) :(

I don't know if this offers any comfort but I just interviewed here and they said that they do not see any movement in their waitlist until the summer when people back out of coming to KCU. Hope this helps.

II! Complete email 11/7, OOS, good stats.

Dates are next week, end of January, beginning of February, and end of February.

Reactions: 3 users
What would that do for you? That's kind of weird honestly.

It is honestly not necessary at this school because they give you a chance to ask student ambassadors questions about the interviewer. It was super low-key, and there’s plenty of time to prepare if you have an afternoon interview.

Wait... I was also oos... So it's the MD school?

Not quite sure what you’re asking but happy to help answer whatever questions you have!

I will be withdrawing my seat. Hope it goes to one of you lovelies

Where did you end up choosing to go?

So let's say you recently got married, do you have to let the schools that you've interviewed with know about that? Or does it even matter?
I got married recently, too. It came up in a previous interview with the question, "What's your social support system like?" I got to respond, "I just married my best friend last month. He's a truck driver and can get a job anywhere, and he says he'll follow wherever I go during this process because what really matters is that we're together, not where we're living." It got a smile and a positive response from the interviewer, so I certainly don't feel like it hurt me at all. It may actually be seen as an asset that your support system is moving with you, especially when interviewing somewhere far away from home.

I got married recently, too. It came up in a previous interview with the question, "What's your social support system like?" I got to respond, "I just married my best friend last month. He's a truck driver and can get a job anywhere, and he says he'll follow wherever I go during this process because what really matters is that we're together, not where we're living." It got a smile and a positive response from the interviewer, so I certainly don't feel like it hurt me at all. It may actually be seen as an asset that your support system is moving with you, especially when interviewing somewhere far away from home.

I got asked the same question and had a similar answer and got a similar response haha. Wonder if we had the same interviewer? She was big on social support.

@lenspx I don't think you need to update the school on JUST that. If you have other updates, you can include the news about your relationship.

Reactions: 1 users
I got asked the same question and had a similar answer and got a similar response haha. Wonder if we had the same interviewer? She was big on social support.
You never know; it's a small world out here. :)

Social support is so incredibly important based on my experience as a first year medical student. If you don't have a good system in place before you get here, you will be in a world of hurt. Make friends early and keep up with them. If you are religious, go to a service and get connected with people outside of the school. If you aren't religious, find another way to get connected. You won't regret it!

Reactions: 5 users
It is honestly not necessary at this school because they give you a chance to ask student ambassadors questions about the interviewer. It was super low-key, and there’s plenty of time to prepare if you have an afternoon interview.

Not quite sure what you’re asking but happy to help answer whatever questions you have!

Where did you end up choosing to go?

I'm not sure where I'll end up yet but I know KCU is not in the running anymore based on my other options. It's a great school but I want to give someone else a chance to hear back!

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be a dumb question, but is it possible to change your campus preference after you've already interviewed?

This might be a dumb question, but is it possible to change your campus preference after you've already interviewed?

huhu the way the school phrased the campus choice question on the secondary was crafty I chose KC only because I knew (and the admin obviously knew too) that applicants would choose both to optimize their chances of being accepted. I think I had to write a little spiel too so it would take more effort to have an opinion on where you go and less effort to be more flexible with your location.

sorry idt this post helps at all have any other applicants had success with writing a letter of interest for a particular location?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

huhu the way the school phrased the campus choice question on the secondary was crafty I chose KC only because I knew (and the admin obviously knew too) that applicants would choose both to optimize their chances of being accepted. I think I had to write a little spiel too so it would take more effort to have an opinion on where you go and less effort to be more flexible with your location.

sorry idt this post helps at all have any other applicants had success with writing a letter of interest for a particular location?

I wrote a letter post interview to say thank you and expressed interest in Joplin campus......
I received nothing...
Dunno what's gonna happen... Hope they actually saw it..

I wrote a letter post interview to say thank you and expressed interest in Joplin campus......
I received nothing...
Dunno what's gonna happen... Hope they actually saw it..

My impression is that the Joplin campus is less popular, given its location. I think you'd likely get away with getting this location when you're accepted.

Someone mentioned a while back and said they called and asked and the admissions department said you cannot.

Hey guys! Just got an II yesterday evening. There seems to be a problem with the website though; in the interview scheduling process I get to a page that says to select a date, but there are no dates. Anyone else having this problem?

I'm so nervous for this interview. It's my first medical school interview (actually in general this is my first interview in forever, I can't even remember my last one) and I'm not sure how to prepare! What did you guys do to prepare? Any tips on what you would've done better if you had to do it again?

I'm so nervous for this interview. It's my first medical school interview (actually in general this is my first interview in forever, I can't even remember my last one) and I'm not sure how to prepare! What did you guys do to prepare? Any tips on what you would've done better if you had to do it again?
Most laid back interview ever. Prepare for typical why med, DO, and KCU; otherwise, just be yourself.

My interview only took 20 minutes.. Is that bad? Didn't really ask about my app. He also didn't write anything down. O_O Smfh

My interview only took 20 minutes.. Is that bad? Didn't really ask about my app. He also didn't write anything down. O_O Smfh
Don't read too far into these things lol. Did you interview today? The last thing you want to do is worry for 6 weeks about this.

What did they ask if they didn't talk about your app? Just random questions?

Just know your application well, smile, and make good eye contact. Practice a couple times with friends and family and watch some interview etiquette and med school interview tip videos on YouTube and you should be good. They just want to know you are a friendly person with good social skills and a well-reasoned, passionate justification for pursuing medicine and their school in particular. This was by far my chillest interview.

Can’t speak for this particular applicant but I know a lot of people just talked about sports, hobbies, etc. Most interviewers will ask some questions and expect questions from you (I always make sure to prep questions in advance in case I blank in the moment but I normally just build on the conversation with mine) but overall it’s just a professional conversation. Pretend you’re having a laid-back but professional conversation with a physician you work for. Scribing has helped me feel more comfortable in such situations.

Hey guys, looking for some insight because I'm really not sure who to ask...
When I was 18 (4 years ago) I was charged with disturbing the peace and got SIS (suspended imposition of sentence) which, per my lawyer, means I plead guilty but I was not convicted.
So, on the AACOMAS application, I answered No, I have not be convicted of a misdemeanor. I've since been accepted to KCU. Now when filling out the form for PreCheck background check, it asks if I've ever plead guilty to a misdemeanor, to which I have to answer yes (again per my lawyer). Should I call someone in admissions to clarify that I didn't fail to disclose on my application, and explain the situation, or should I just wait it out since it was a long time ago and was a minor charge anyways? My mom says I shouldn't call because "it will just confuse them" but she has been known to give me poor advice in the past... What do you think?

EDIT: Just to be clear, I will answer yes on PreCheck and report the misdemeanor, I'm just wondering if I should call the school about it as well.

I definitely think this requires an explanation. Be ready to explain the technicalities that make you not at fault, what originally happened to get you charged and pleading guilty, what you have learned and how you’ve grown, and why the experience actually gives you unexpectedly meaningful, unique insight into being a competent physician.

Honestly, I know everyone says this is a laid-back interview, and that doesn't help, but it *really* is. I don't think my interviewer legitimately asked me a single question other than how I was doing when I entered the room. They really go above and beyond to make you feel comfortable. Just be friendly/sociable and maintain the contract when you speak.

Hey guys! Just got an II yesterday evening. There seems to be a problem with the website though; in the interview scheduling process I get to a page that says to select a date, but there are no dates. Anyone else having this problem?
KC had no available dates when I schedules mine in Joplin

II today. I know there is no Kansas City interviews available on the portal right now; however, will there be? There is a 3 hour drive difference for me and Kansas City is much closer.

Hey guys, looking for some insight because I'm really not sure who to ask...
When I was 18 (4 years ago) I was charged with disturbing the peace and got SIS (suspended imposition of sentence) which, per my lawyer, means I plead guilty but I was not convicted.
So, on the AACOMAS application, I answered No, I have not be convicted of a misdemeanor. I've since been accepted to KCU. Now when filling out the form for PreCheck background check, it asks if I've ever plead guilty to a misdemeanor, to which I have to answer yes (again per my lawyer). Should I call someone in admissions to clarify that I didn't fail to disclose on my application, and explain the situation, or should I just wait it out since it was a long time ago and was a minor charge anyways? My mom says I shouldn't call because "it will just confuse them" but she has been known to give me poor advice in the past... What do you think?

EDIT: Just to be clear, I will answer yes on PreCheck and report the misdemeanor, I'm just wondering if I should call the school about it as well.

Is the precheck required eventually? If it is I think you should call them and clarify with them how different questions were asked on AAMCOMAS versus precheck before finishing the precheck. I personally believe that it's the best to be transparent early on and that they will understand.

Asked me questions I did not expect just as the student ambassador said. I don't know if I can share those questions however. I did try to respond as thoughtfully as possible.

I second the laid back interview vibes. I think we talked about my hometown, KC, and what specialty I might want to do, among just other personal things. It was awesome. Just be yourself and make eye contact!

Someone mentioned a while back and said they called and asked and the admissions department said you cannot.
Yes just email admissions and update your campus preference. The medical student giving the tour said that is what she did

For those of you who got wait-listed/rejected: what do you think the reason was?

Was it something in the interview? Or do you think it was something on your app, stats, etc.?

Pick one

Your interviewer didn't like you for whatever reason and so is going to trash you
Your interviewer is a burnout and you already got in
They found stuff in your background and are going to trash you
Your interviewer doesn't care.
Your interviewer does this to everyone and is a dove

What do you mean found stuff in my background? I don't any criminal history if that's what you mean

II today. I know there is no Kansas City interviews available on the portal right now; however, will there be? There is a 3 hour drive difference for me and Kansas City is much closer.
You're able to schedule an interview at either campus? I don't seem to have that option. Does this mean that they are all filled for the interview season? That would be pretty ridiculous to extend more interviews than they have time slots... I'll call them on Monday and let you know what I find.

The 14th of November
You have a long way to go, my friend. I had it on October 27th and am still waiting. To make it worse, I haven't had an acceptance this cycle yet and flying out to my second interview this Thursday, so can't wait to hear back before that.

6 weeks feels like forever........

Just an FYI, when I interviewed on 11/30, admissions gave us the standard "6 weeks" speel; however, they also emphasized that they'd try to get decisions to us before the holidays. Fingers crossed. :) Good luck to everyone!

Hello all,

I was recently accepted and I absolutely fell in love with this school, I just have a few questions regarding the curriculum. From what I understand the curriculum is very, very intense I'm just trying to get a better grasp on what this actually means. How often do you actually study for weekly? Does the one midterm and one final per block allow for any free time? Does the class go out together on weekends? What blocks are the best? How about the worst? Is there any way to prepare for the difficulty?

I like the fact that it is intense because of the resulting board scores, I'm just a bit nervous! I understand everyone is different I'm just looking for some different perspectives from current students, whether that's good or bad. Thank you!

Reactions: 3 users
Hello all,

I was recently accepted and I absolutely fell in love with this school, I just have a few questions regarding the curriculum. From what I understand the curriculum is very, very intense I'm just trying to get a better grasp on what this actually means. How often do you actually study for weekly? Does the one midterm and one final per block allow for any free time? Does the class go out together on weekends? What blocks are the best? How about the worst? Is there any way to prepare for the difficulty?

I like the fact that it is intense because of the resulting board scores, I'm just a bit nervous! I understand everyone is different I'm just looking for some different perspectives from current students, whether that's good or bad. Thank you!

Excellent question! Would love to hear from a current student on this one.

Hello all,

@amerepedestrian

The most important thing to realize is that this is medical school. If it's not intense, it's not working. My general impression is 2-3 hours of studying a day at least during the week, so long as you are productive. I don't tend to be productive, so I need a lot more. But, hey, mental health.

In school, you will make time for the things that are important to you. Understand up front you have limited time, so managing that time is crucial. If you spend every waking moment studying, you will burn out. Conversely, if you spend all your time partying... well, don't do that. Here in Joplin, people tend to go out on the weekends, I'd assume it's the same up in KC.

As far as what blocks are good/bad:
You will be told at the beginning of the year Biochem is the worst. Once you finish that, people will tell you Immuno is the worst. Don't listen to them. Muskuloskeletal is the worst. Adding Gross Anatomy Lab on top of lectures is killer. I have heard that Gastrointestinal will be tough starting in January as well. Ask again in May and we can give you a better idea on first year.

As far as preparing for the difficulty, there isn't a whole lot you can do. Just make sure you know how to manage your time wisely and how to say 'No' to unnecessary commitments. Find a hobby that you can continue during classes to keep you sane. If you like to read, find a good series (I'd recommend Wheel of Time, but I'm a fantasy fan boy), if you play an instrument, learn some new songs. Just find something that makes you feel alive and hold on to it. Take the summer off before school if you can afford it, otherwise work the minimum possible to sustain you. Just relax. Don't preread, you don't know what to read anyway. If you absolutely have to learn something, find some medical terminology books and learn some abbreviations.

Overall, just remember that if you have been accepted, you can handle it. Try not to stress and enjoy the next four years!

Reactions: 10 users