2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@amerepedestrian

The most important thing to realize is that this is medical school. If it's not intense, it's not working. My general impression is 2-3 hours of studying a day at least during the week, so long as you are productive. I don't tend to be productive, so I need a lot more. But, hey, mental health.

In school, you will make time for the things that are important to you. Understand up front you have limited time, so managing that time is crucial. If you spend every waking moment studying, you will burn out. Conversely, if you spend all your time partying... well, don't do that. Here in Joplin, people tend to go out on the weekends, I'd assume it's the same up in KC.

As far as what blocks are good/bad:
You will be told at the beginning of the year Biochem is the worst. Once you finish that, people will tell you Immuno is the worst. Don't listen to them. Muskuloskeletal is the worst. Adding Gross Anatomy Lab on top of lectures is killer. I have heard that Gastrointestinal will be tough starting in January as well. Ask again in May and we can give you a better idea on first year.

As far as preparing for the difficulty, there isn't a whole lot you can do. Just make sure you know how to manage your time wisely and how to say 'No' to unnecessary commitments. Find a hobby that you can continue during classes to keep you sane. If you like to read, find a good series (I'd recommend Wheel of Time, but I'm a fantasy fan boy), if you play an instrument, learn some new songs. Just find something that makes you feel alive and hold on to it. Take the summer off before school if you can afford it, otherwise work the minimum possible to sustain you. Just relax. Don't preread, you don't know what to read anyway. If you absolutely have to learn something, find some medical terminology books and learn some abbreviations.

Overall, just remember that if you have been accepted, you can handle it. Try not to stress and enjoy the next four years!

I wish I knew who you were so we could geek out on WoT.

MSK is also the worst.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a long way to go, my friend. I had it on October 27th and am still waiting. To make it worse, I haven't had an acceptance this cycle yet and flying out to my second interview this Thursday, so can't wait to hear back before that.
I know, it sucks! Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
I called the admissions office this morning, and I guess there are no more interviews in the KC campus location. The guy said they would open up more interview dates, soon, for March.

I'm very irritated that they would invite me to interview, and then have no interview dates to pick. Poor organization by the admissions staff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the admissions office this morning, and I guess there are no more interviews in the KC campus location. The guy said they would open up more interview dates, soon, for March.

I'm very irritated that they would invite me to interview, and then have no interview dates to pick. Poor organization by the admissions staff.

You do realize they are giving you the opportunity to interview right? You’re not guaranteed an interview and you ought to be a bit more appreciative of the opportunity you have. The Admissions staff does their best to accommodate for everyone and likely those people who had an opportunity to choose either Joplin or KC to interview at picked KC at a higher rate than they were expecting. Them opening up additional spots in March is a perfectly adequate adjustment as it requires coordination with campus staff and student ambassadors.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users

Honestly this isn’t uncommon at all. When I was scheduling several different interviews last year I was too slow getting on the portal and was left with no spots on a couple different occasions. You just have to wait for more spots to become available! Take a deep breath and count your blessings that you got an interview at KCU! :) It’ll work out I promise!

Hello all,

I was recently accepted and I absolutely fell in love with this school, I just have a few questions regarding the curriculum. From what I understand the curriculum is very, very intense I'm just trying to get a better grasp on what this actually means. How often do you actually study for weekly? Does the one midterm and one final per block allow for any free time? Does the class go out together on weekends? What blocks are the best? How about the worst? Is there any way to prepare for the difficulty?

I like the fact that it is intense because of the resulting board scores, I'm just a bit nervous! I understand everyone is different I'm just looking for some different perspectives from current students, whether that's good or bad. Thank you!
It is intense but it's manageable. If you are accepted, they think that you can do it! Just study hard and utilize the resources the school gives you. They also ease you into it even though it won't seem like it. The fact of the matter is you are going to become a physician, and your end goal is to be the best physician you can be. A more intense curriculum that prepares you well for boards should be a major deciding factor in where you go.

Reactions: 3 users
any word from Oct 27 interviews? This wait is actually the worst lol

My interview only took 20 minutes.. Is that bad? Didn't really ask about my app. He also didn't write anything down. O_O Smfh
Mine took 15 min and I got accepted! Just depends on the style of your interviewer I think.

I had my interview on November 4th, and it's been 4 weeks today. Wondering if anyone else had heard back yet? A couple of friends of mind had interviews earlier this cycle and both heard back after 4 weeks.

I had my interview on November 4th, and it's been 4 weeks today. Wondering if anyone else had heard back yet? A couple of friends of mind had interviews earlier this cycle and both heard back after 4 weeks.
Probably delayed due to the holiday

Did you choose either for your preference? Because I chose either campus, that is how I have the option to schedule at either campus. He told me the same thing today and to watch the portal for possible cancelations.

Anyone else have an interview here tomorrow?

Members don't see this ad :)
New to this thread... I just received an II yesterday afternoon. I chose both for campus preference. There was one interview spot at KC on 1/30. For those who did not see KC spots last week, check your portal this morning FAST!

Also, anyone have thoughts on whether or not they interview for the waitlist this late in the cycle? I'm super excited and very interested in this school. Just want to have realistic expectations of my chances, and feel better about spending all this money to travel to the interview. I have one acceptance at another school, but would probably choose KCU over it if I got in.

I am non-trad applicant, 508 MCAT, have a MPH degree, undergrad cumulative of 3.7, and have 3+ years of professional work experience, I currently work doing Zika virus research (not that any of those stats mean that I am qualified to go to medical school, just sharing for context)

Reactions: 1 users
New to this thread... I just received an II yesterday afternoon. I chose both for campus preference. There was one interview spot at KC on 1/30. For those who did not see KC spots last week, check your portal this morning FAST!

Also, anyone have thoughts on whether or not they interview for the waitlist this late in the cycle? I'm super excited and very interested in this school. Just want to have realistic expectations of my chances, and feel better about spending all this money to travel to the interview. I have one acceptance at another school, but would probably choose KCU over it if I got in.

I am non-trad applicant, 508 MCAT, have a MPH degree, undergrad cumulative of 3.7, and have 3+ years of professional work experience, I currently work doing Zika virus research (not that any of those stats mean that I am qualified to go to medical school, just sharing for context)
I don't think any school really "interviews for the waitlist". They gave you an interview, which means you have just as much of a chance as anyone else to get accepted (especially with your stats). They've been waitlisting people all throughout the cycle, even people who interviewed in September. It doesn't make sense for waitlist interviews to occur.

Reactions: 6 users

I feel like with KCU especially, if you get an interview invite, they really want you to be there. I have no evidence to back this other than my experience on the interview day and my interviewer telling me "we don't interview for waitlist spots; you're past the hard part if you're sitting here right now." You have a better pedigree than me fwiw. I was accepted.

I feel like with KCU especially, if you get an interview invite, they really want you to be there. I have no evidence to back this other than my experience on the interview day and my interviewer telling me "we don't interview for waitlist spots; you're past the hard part if you're sitting here right now." You have a better pedigree than me fwiw. I was accepted.
Thank you for the response!!! Congrats on your acceptance! Makes me feel a little better about the $300+ flight I'm about to book haha

Question for any current KCU students:

I have been accepted a couple of schools so far and I am trying to decide what school to accept. How do you feel about the Clerkship sites available for your 3rd and 4th year rotations. Are they quality sites?

Did you choose either for your preference? Because I chose either campus, that is how I have the option to schedule at either campus. He told me the same thing today and to watch the portal for possible cancelations.
I selected KC as preferred. I did end up getting a Jan 30 interview by stalking the website for the past few days.

Forgive me if this has been answered already in this thread, but I am lazy and this thread has so many pages. For those who have heard back already, do you get acceptance news via email or phone call? My 6 week wait is coming up here and I can't for the life of me remember if they told me this or not.

Last year I received acceptance via email. Please note, your heart will skip a few beats when you see the sender of the email. Be prepared, preferably with an AED on hand.

Forgive me if this has been answered already in this thread, but I am lazy and this thread has so many pages. For those who have heard back already, do you get acceptance news via email or phone call? My 6 week wait is coming up here and I can't for the life of me remember if they told me this or not.
They let us know through email and then send a letter later.

The question is whether or not they were generous enough to include a giveaway of the decision such as a "congratulations" in the subject of the email. If I see a simple "admissions decision" as the subject or something I will probably immediately cry.

This happened to me yesterday:
Subject: "Your Application to University of Bob Medical School"

The body then went on to tell me what a great applicant I am, but that I'm not good enough for UOB.

My chain=jerked.

The question is whether or not they were generous enough to include a giveaway of the decision such as a "congratulations" in the subject of the email. If I see a simple "admissions decision" as the subject or something I will probably immediately cry.
I heard from a student that their acceptance email subject doesn't say Congratulations on it...

I am kind of worried about my interview. The interviewer went on long tangents about how KCU is a super difficult school and that it's not for everyone. He never let me respond adequately and he ended the interview asking about my study techniques and consequently telling me that my study habits were wrong. Everyone else in my interview group said their interview was laidback and conversational...

I've yet to comment on this but I've seen repeatedly people say KCU was their most laid back conversational interview etc etc.. The second I got into my car I burst into tears. I felt like I got grilled and the interviewer could not have cared less about my application. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear back in the next week but just know that you are NOT alone my interview was the worst I've had.

Some interviewers like to do this as an act to see how people respond. In practice, physicians will be faced with very tough patients (think, people screaming in your face an becoming physically violent). Sometimes I think they just want to see mental toughness. The fact that you held strong until you made it to your car is fantastic.

I had a student ambassador at a very respected allopathic school tell me she burst into tears during her interview because the interviewer was mean. She still got accepted and was a 4th year student! You're probably fine!

Does anybody know approximately how many KCU interviews relative to total seats, and approximate number of admission offers extended overall?

I interview here tomorrow, typically do well in interviews, and am curious about how competitive a seat is once you have a II.

I am kind of worried about my interview. The interviewer went on long tangents about how KCU is a super difficult school and that it's not for everyone. He never let me respond adequately and he ended the interview asking about my study techniques and consequently telling me that my study habits were wrong. Everyone else in my interview group said their interview was laidback and conversational...
I've yet to comment on this but I've seen repeatedly people say KCU was their most laid back conversational interview etc etc.. The second I got into my car I burst into tears. I felt like I got grilled and the interviewer could not have cared less about my application. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear back in the next week but just know that you are NOT alone my interview was the worst I've had.

I had a similar experience and I was sure I wasn't going to get in, and I did. Try your best not to freak out!

I had a similar experience and I was sure I wasn't going to get in, and I did. Try your best not to freak out!
I mean, overall, the interview experience is incredibly relaxing for most people. For me, when I interviewed, it was the most relaxing chill interview BY FAR. And thats what I hear for 95% of the interviewees that I help during interview day, I mean that.

But of course, there will ALWAYS be those days where there is one person who may ask more serious questions, leading to a more "stressful" interview. We don't control what the interviewers ask or how they act. All we can say is overall, for the vast majority, it is an awesome and relaxing day compared to many of the schools I previously interviewed at.

I mean, overall, the interview experience is incredibly relaxing for most people. For me, when I interviewed, it was the most relaxing chill interview BY FAR. And thats what I hear for 95% of the interviewees that I help during interview day, I mean that.

But of course, there will ALWAYS be those days where there is one person who may ask more serious questions, leading to a more "stressful" interview. We don't control what the interviewers ask or how they act. All we can say is overall, for the vast majority, it is an awesome and relaxing day compared to many of the schools I previously interviewed at.
Oh it definitely seems like it's a one-off for the interview to go that way, which is why I've been sharing my experience with the people who said they had a stressful interview. I know I was a big ball of anxiety after mine and would have liked to know someone else's went the same way and they got in. I'm definitely still looking forward to attending and had an overall very good day at KCU.

If anybody is willing to PM me the name of the “ball buster” interviewer I’d really appreciate it! Just for preparation’s sake.

Has anyone started looking for apartments yet? Looks like CT is already having a long waitlist.

Where would a good neighborhood to live other than CT? Would daily commute from Overland Park or Olathe be realisitc?

Thanks for the help!

Has anyone started looking for apartments yet? Looks like CT is already having a long waitlist.

Where would a good neighborhood to live other than CT? Would daily commute from Overland Park or Olathe be realisitc?

Thanks for the help!
I'm touring CT and Cold Storage Lofts tomorrow :) Cold storage lofts is a three minute drive from campus! (according to google)

I'm touring CT and Cold Storage Lofts tomorrow :) Cold storage lofts is a three minute drive from campus! (according to google)
With all things considered I think Century Tower might be the only worth living apartments near schools since many KCU students are there. The neighborhood don't really have too much place to shop for groceries. I drove around that neighborhood near Cold Storage Loft, it is a nice looking gentrified area.

My second option would be in the Suburbs such as Overland Park but not sure how the traffic in the morning may be real bad.

Thanks for the help!
I have signed up for a 2 bedroom at CT. Looking for a roommate

Question for any current KCU students:

I have been accepted a couple of schools so far and I am trying to decide what school to accept. How do you feel about the Clerkship sites available for your 3rd and 4th year rotations. Are they quality sites?

Most of them are good. We added 2 additional sites this year, so there is no telling what’s up with those. There is also a good variety of sites, from urban, to level 1 trauma centers to small rural hospitals. Every site has its quirks. Some are preceptor based, others you work with the residents, and some are mixed. All the sites are quality, but not every site will be perfectly suited to how you want to learn. Make sense?

I was fortunate to receive my acceptance to Joplin last week, and I was wondering if any current students can comment on the "Required Medical Equipment" they have listed on their matriculation webpage. The link to the list hasn't been uploaded yet, and won't be until this summer, but I was hoping to start getting what I need in advance. Would it be unreasonable to shop around for a stethoscope or any other necessities? Or does KCU mandate that certain equipment or purchases be made through their campus stores?

Def not an interview for waitlist spot, especially with your stats.

Interviewed this past Tuesday... Totally loved the campus and am excited to hear back from this program! It was a very relaxed vibe to the entire day. Thanks to all the ambassadors who made the process super comfortable! Fingers crossed!!

Edit in addition: A few people told me to avoid living too near to campus, since apparently it's a tad sketchy (it didn't bother me). Can anyone comment on this?

Last edited:
Would you consider posting here or PM'ing me your opinion of Cold Storage after you visit there? I'm trying to end up somewhere in River Market.

Would you consider posting here or PM'ing me your opinion of Cold Storage after you visit there? I'm trying to end up somewhere in River Market.
Sure! I loved cold storage honestly. The rooms were very spacious and it was just a very cool space in my opinion. The gym is fairly small. You have to pay electric. it's about a 5 minute drive/15 minute bike ride from school and super close to a huge Chinese market and where the streetcar picks up.

EDIT: If anyone is interest in CT vs Cold Storage Lofts, I wrote up a total cost comparison and my personal pros and cons that I don't mind sharing in anyone would like to see it

EDIT: spent so much time typing this up decided to go ahead and just post it

Cold Storage Lofts:
Pros: I like the rooms themselves better. High ceilings, just a really cool space in general. Rooms are wayy more spacious than CT, kitchen has way more room and storage. Pretty close to cool river market area as well as streetcar pickup. Gym is more up-to date. Washer/dryer hookups in unit. Rooftop pool
Cons: 5 min drive/15 min bike ride through questionable area to school. No cool common/study areas like CT has. Parking lot is not gated or monitored, break ins happen, can pay for garage parking. electric not included
1 bed/1 bath-
$733/mo + $50 pet rent (for two pets, $25 for one) + $15/mo for parking + ~ $150/mo electric and internet = $948/mo

2 bed/1 bath-
$850/mo+ $50 pet rent (for two pets, $25 for one) + $15/mo for parking + ~ $150/mo electric and internet = $1065/month

CT (I calculated prices using the rent for the cheapest view):
Pros: location, obv. Cool study spaces, including a veranda with tables to study outside. HOT TUB. utilities included with no cap. lots of security, gated parking lot.
Cons: rooms aren't super impressive. pretty cramped. tiny kitchen. VERY small shower. No washer/dryer hookups in unit, $3.50 to wash and dry a load in the laundry room!

1 bed/1 bath -
$705/mo + $20 pet rent ($10 each) + $50 internet + $10 utilities = $785

2 bed/2 bath -
$950/mo + $20 pet rent ($10 each) + $50 internet + $15 utilities = $1035

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Rose is red.
Violet’s blue.
10/27 acceptances,
where are you?!

Reactions: 10 users
I believe I read they have a post interview acceptance rate of 65%, at least that's what I recall reading on this thread. Good luck, all the students and staff at my interview were awesome!
Thank you! Interview was a blast. Accepted to a different DO school today as well

If you get accepted, the Subject will contain Congradulations :)

Edit: JK It says Admissions Decision..

Last edited:
I was fortunate to receive my acceptance to Joplin last week, and I was wondering if any current students can comment on the "Required Medical Equipment" they have listed on their matriculation webpage. The link to the list hasn't been uploaded yet, and won't be until this summer, but I was hoping to start getting what I need in advance. Would it be unreasonable to shop around for a stethoscope or any other necessities? Or does KCU mandate that certain equipment or purchases be made through their campus stores?

Wow. Way too early to be thinking about med kits, IMO, but anyway, here’s the low down. You can guy/use anything you wish from any vendor/store you want. You will use your steth the most. You only really need a steth, reflex hammer, and oto/opthamlascope.

My suggestion, put a steth you like on your Christmas list (maybe Santa will be good to you). Wait till April/may/June when all my current classmates sell their kits for half of what we bought them for on your class Facebook page.

Wow. Way too early to be thinking about med kits, IMO, but anyway, here’s the low down. You can guy/use anything you wish from any vendor/store you want. You will use your steth the most. You only really need a steth, reflex hammer, and oto/opthamlascope.

My suggestion, put a steth you like on your Christmas list (maybe Santa will be good to you). Wait till April/may/June when all my current classmates sell their kits for half of what we bought them for on your class Facebook page.

Follow up to that, ebay is the best for finding med kits. I spent ~$300 for a nice Welch Allyn kit, way better than what you'd spend through the school. Get the macroview otoscope, you won't be disappointed! Plus, most hospitals use Welch Allyn, so you'll be more prepared for clinicals #gunner