2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the acceptance email to Kansas City campus. Interviewed 11/16. After 3 wait-lists in a row... I'm feeling pretty happy.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got my acceptance to KC campus. Interviewed 11/9. Thought the interview went terrible. Guess I was wrong. Have to decide again :(

Reactions: 2 users
Seems like there was a chunk of decisions that was handed out today. Just received an acceptance to KC campus! Interviewed on 11/16.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!! I interviewed 12/5 so it's a shock that I heard back so quick! This is my top school so I'm so excited :)

Accepted. Interviewed 11/30! Non-Traditional & Re-applicant. After 1 Hold and 1 Rejection, it's finally...A WIN! :soexcited:

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted today! Interviewed 11/30. Anyone know when the deposit is due? Love this school but still have some big decisions to make.

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! Weighing my acceptances at DMU, MSU, CUSOM, the coastal touros and now, KCU. Nonrefundable DO deposits are killer..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Weighing my acceptances at DMU, MSU, CUSOM, the coastal touros and now, KCU. Nonrefundable DO deposits are killer..

Wow, congrats on your acceptances. I may sound a little jealous right now, but I wish I had at least one so far. Waitlisted at KCU and another school, and one rejection. Now, I'm waiting on one school's decision and heading to my other interviews anxious as ever

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, congrats on your acceptances. I may sound a little jealous right now, but I wish I had at least one so far. Waitlisted at KCU and another school, and one rejection. Now, I'm waiting on one school's decision and heading to my other interviews anxious as ever

I'm sorry to hear that, but waitlist can be a good thing. I hear KCU moves down the waitlist quickly.

Can I ask what your stats are? I was rejected at KCU and I have no idea why. I'm trying to figure out if it was related to my stats, which aren't the best but my post-bac gpa and MCAT are both competitive.

I'm sorry to hear that, but waitlist can be a good thing. I hear KCU moves down the waitlist quickly.

Can I ask what your stats are? I was rejected at KCU and I have no idea why. I'm trying to figure out if it was related to my stats, which aren't the best but my post-bac gpa and MCAT are both competitive.
I PM'd you

Sorry to hear :/ I have a feeling there is substantial waitlist movement for DO schools in general so I think your chances are not bad at all. I am a low GPA, decently high MCAT candidate, which I think fits with KCU's push for boards scores. I also had a very positive interview.

I have had a couple of MD interviews and, fingers crossed, hope to be able to vacate a spot for you

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted today. Interviewed 11/30. Does anybody know the chances of getting accepted off the waitlist?!?!

Holy crap! Accepted! Interviewed 12/5. Wasn't expecting to hear back until after the new year lol.

ACCEPTED!!! Interviewed on 12/5 and SHOCKED I heard back so soon! Very excited and this is definitely my top choice

Sorry to hear :/ I have a feeling there is substantial waitlist movement for DO schools in general so I think your chances are not bad at all. I am a low GPA, decently high MCAT candidate, which I think fits with KCU's push for boards scores. I also had a very positive interview.

I have had a couple of MD interviews and, fingers crossed, hope to be able to vacate a spot for you

We seem like very similar applicants! Low GPA, high MCAT for DO but matriculant average for MD, and in my case (you haven't mentioned so I'm not sure) I am very EC-heavy. I am also waiting to hear from a couple MDs (one special connection in particular <3) before making a final decision, but either way I know with my current acceptances (KCU, AZCOM and NSU) I will get a solid medical education no matter what! I'm gonna be a doctor! :soexcited:

Congrats everyone! With much regret will be declining my acceptance here, hope it goes to one of you guys!

We seem like very similar applicants! Low GPA, high MCAT for DO but matriculant average for MD, and in my case (you haven't mentioned so I'm not sure) I am very EC-heavy. I am also waiting to hear from a couple MDs (one special connection in particular <3) before making a final decision, but either way I know with my current acceptances (KCU, AZCOM and NSU) I will get a solid medical education no matter what! I'm gonna be a doctor! :soexcited:

It seems we are! I am also very EC (and research) heavy. Congrats on your current acceptances and I hope an allopathic acceptance comes our way soon :)

Otherwise, I think KCUMB tops of my list of osteopathic acceptances and will push us to achieve excellent board scores.

Accepted today (Kansas City campus). Interviewed 11/30. Currently deciding between CCOM and KCU, but I believe CCOM may be a better fit for me.

Accepted today (Kansas City campus). Interviewed 11/30. Currently deciding between CCOM and KCU, but I believe CCOM may be a better fit for me.

Take it from me, a relatively old man (29) - Debt is your worst enemy in life. I don't believe whatever ccom can offer is worth the cost above and beyond what kcu can. Just my 2 cents

Reactions: 5 users
ACCEPTED!!!!!! OH MY GOD I'M SO HAPPY!!!!

I applied like last month on a whim, and now I'm accepted. This is so surreal. Interviewed 12/5.

I interviewed at Kansas City, but got accepted to Joplin.

Can anyone who's been to both campuses talk about how they compare with one another? I really really liked the KC campus, and I'm kinda worried the Joplin one won't live up to the standard set in my mind from my visit to the KC campus during my interview.

Are there any drawbacks to attending the Joplin campus as compared to the KC campus? Are there any advantages?

And what's the city life like over there in Joplin? I know it's a much smaller town so I'm wondering what everyone thought of it.

In the event that I don't like Joplin as much, is there a chance to be switched over to KC campus? I know this may come off as picky, but I'm just wondering.

ACCEPTED!!!!!! OH MY GOD I'M SO HAPPY!!!!

I applied like last month on a whim, and now I'm accepted. This is so surreal. Interviewed 12/5.

I interviewed at Kansas City, but got accepted to Joplin.

Can anyone who's been to both campuses talk about how they compare with one another? I really really liked the KC campus, and I'm kinda worried the Joplin one won't live up to the standard set in my mind from my visit to the KC campus during my interview.

Are there any drawbacks to attending the Joplin campus as compared to the KC campus? Are there any advantages?

And what's the city life like over there in Joplin? I know it's a much smaller town so I'm wondering what everyone thought of it.

In the event that I don't like Joplin as much, is there a chance to be switched over to KC campus? I know this may come off as picky, but I'm just wondering.
Joplin campus is amazing. I haven't seen the KC one but there is so much they've done to the building with room for improvement.

I know that having Freeman and Mercy so close is a fantastic thing for the school

Accepted and interviewed 11/30. I'm happy to hear this soon after interviewing but a little salty because I dropped a $1000 deposit to another school yesterday and I know I want to go to KCU. Money comes and goes I guess. Looking forward to meeting all of you in July.

accepted to KC campus today, interviewed 11/16

Does anyone know based on years past how long the usual deposit deadline is after acceptance?

Posted this in the Joplin thread, but will repost here:

I was recently accepted to the Joplin campus, but after reading a bit I'm a bit worried. I didn't realize when applying that there are limited rotational sites for Joplin students.

I'm from Florida and a big attraction for me in this school was the fact that I'll have a chance of going back home for 3/4th year rotations since there are rotational sites in Florida. Since many people have been saying the administration is really receptive of student input, do you think they would make an exception and allow me to do my rotations at one of the Florida sites? Or would it be possible to send an email to the school asking if I can possibly attend the KC campus even though I applied for both?

Any insight is appreciate!

Hey y’all,
Does anyone know what model of iPad we will be provided?
Thanks!

Does anyone know when an appropriate time to send a letter of intent would be if I just got waitlisted? I have put a deposit down at another school but KCU is definitely my #1 choice.

yes. I got an e mail with the link a few days after my acceptance e mail. However my status in the join section on facebook keeps saying pending. :confused: messaged two moderators and no reply yet-I wish you better luck trying to join it than I have.

This is really weird and uncharacteristic of them, have you tried canceling the request and requesting again?

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted yesterday! I just finished my application for the waitlist at CT and I'm soooooo excited! :D We're going to be doctors!

So, current students.....around when should we start looking for housing? I already know the general location where I want to live (not CT), but it would be too early to actually start looking for a specific place or sign a lease from now, right?

So, current students.....around when should we start looking for housing? I already know the general location where I want to live (not CT), but it would be too early to actually start looking for a specific place or sign a lease from now, right?

I think it'd be reasonable to start looking now. Leases usually run summer to summer, and landlords want to fill them months before they run up. My SO and I are probably going to head down to KC next month and go around with a realtor.

So I went to KC in March of last year and went around to different apartments that had appointments for me that Michelle Sparks set up. She works closely with the school so look for her in the Facebook group for students and she will point you in the right direction for housing. I signed a lease for June or something so I could get a lower rent. I also didn’t want to live in CT so it was nice.

I have started to look in the power and light district. I am not sure your budget, but I am married and there are some apartments with nice facilities in the area. I have been looking on zillow. I am going out next month to secure a place.

I have started to look in the power and light district. I am not sure your budget, but I am married and there are some apartments with nice facilities in the area. I have been looking on zillow. I am going out next month to secure a place.
I've been looking on Zillow as well! I like the River Market area. I think I'll probably try and head up late February/early March.

I've been looking on Zillow as well! I like the River Market area. I think I'll probably try and head up late February/early March.
So did you finally decide to go to KCU? Or stay in Florida? I remember you were asking for advice about that.

Take it from me, a relatively old man (29) - Debt is your worst enemy in life. I don't believe whatever ccom can offer is worth the cost above and beyond what kcu can. Just my 2 cents

The issue is that I am still waiting to hear back from my top choice MD school (post-interview). I do not want to throw away money on a deposit unnecessarily. I realize that debt is always a concern, however, it is much more manageable on a physician's salary. CCOM is closer to home and has better rotations sites in my opinion. The curriculum does not seem to be as rigorous as KCU as well. KCU is a fantastic school, but I don't think one should always choose a school strictly on cost.