2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdraw my acceptance to attend in-state MD program. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
There are many "loud and proud" DOs who now think that since GME is merging, the COMLEX will be accepted by all residencies. While technically this is true, it doesn't mean that these PDs will give a crap about the COMLEX. The whole point of the merger is to make MDs and DOs appear more even, and the way for us to accomplish this is to take the same exam as our counterparts, not insist that our exam is better.

I agree with the overall point of this, but the point of the merger wasn’t to make DO and MD more even. At all. It is a backhanded approach to limit the number of FMGs getting into residencies.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
So, here’s my take on the USMLE/Comlex thing, from a 2nd year. Everyone has an opinion. Our current deans opinion is that not getting a competitive score on the USMLE can be damaging. . No . Since he was also a big part of the merger, he has a rose-colored outlook on a magic switch being triggered in 20 which eliminates bias because a piece of paper says so.

While he may not be a fan, he will not/can not stop you from taking it. Plan on taking it. The curriculum lends itself to being ready for both exams. The reality of this is that you will be 2022 before you deal with it. There will be a couple years of anecdotal “evidence” before you have to deal with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our current deans opinion is that not getting a competitive score on the USMLE can be damaging
This is exactly what my friends from NSU report being told too. "Don't take the USMLE, because if your COMLEX is good but your USMLE is meh, no bueno"

This is exactly what my friends from NSU report being told too. "Don't take the USMLE, because if your COMLEX is good but your USMLE is meh, no bueno"
That's what I've been hearing too. But the things is, if you can't do well in USMLE, you really don't "deserve" an ACGME residency spot since others outscored you. For those, simply taking COMLEX makes sense. Those who have been aiming to take USMLE are probably those who are doing better at school and have bigger plans. I thought they were the people who are being mostly impacted by the merge and discussed by us from the threads above...

Does anyone have information on the new(?) research track KCU will be offering? Is it very limited/competitive to get? When is it?

Does anyone have information on the new(?) research track KCU will be offering? Is it very limited/competitive to get? When is it?
I have tried recently to inquire about special tracks and they just referred me to the website and said they are always changing how they structure them. Most likely there will be a gpa requirement of around 3.5ish. There are many opportunities with other institutions to do research. KCU is not a research institution.

I'm from Canada and just entered my SIN and selected a random state but put my actual Canadian address in it. It worked and I emailed them about how I had to choose a state and they said that because it processed it'll work anyway.

Anyone know how internationals are supposed to fill out the background check? They want a SSN or some form that non citizens living in US have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the exact model iPad that we will be getting? I'm going to keep an eye out for accessories

Anyone know how full the class is? One school I regret not applying to.

Hi all, just realized I scheduled my interview on president's day (2/19/2018). Does anyone know if the school is closed that day or do schools in Missouri not observe president's day?
Wanted to see if anyone knew before I threw down the $$ for the plane tickets. Also, does anyone know what the acceptance rate is post interview?

Hi all, just realized I scheduled my interview on president's day (2/19/2018). Does anyone know if the school is closed that day or do schools in Missouri not observe president's day?
Wanted to see if anyone knew before I threw down the $$ for the plane tickets. Also, does anyone know what the acceptance rate is post interview?
I mean they schedule their interview dates, so if it was an available date then there will be an interview.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

I mean they schedule their interview dates, so if it was an available date then there will be an interview.
I guess that's true, just paranoid that they mass selected a bunch of days which may include a holiday or two on accident. Thanks for your reassurance

Acceptance rate post interview is 65 to 70ish percent

How is the snow in KC? I want to rent a car for my interview there but I have limited experience driving in snow. Is it better to just Uber around the city?

How is the snow in KC? I want to rent a car for my interview there but I have limited experience driving in snow. Is it better to just Uber around the city?
You'll be fine with any standard car. I rented a crappy Nissan Versa and drove it in the mountains in Colorado while it was snowing......any car can handle KC's snow

Anyone who was accepted on the 15th get the packet in the mail yet?

Has anyone received a packet in the mail at all I don't think they send one. I was accepted in November and put my deposit down early December and haven't received anything. I was under the impression everything we need to fill out or need to know is online so no need for a packet.

All I've gotten in the mail so far is a copy of the acceptance letter. There's a link in a later email to forms/deposit info/etc

All I've gotten in the mail so far is a copy of the acceptance letter. There's a link in a later email to forms/deposit info/etc

Same, I have been working off the website which I think is their "packet".

I did have a question about what I saw. It says book lists are available in the summer but family is asking now if there are any books they can purchase for me. Would any current students have any comments on this?

Same, I have been working off the website which I think is their "packet".

I did have a question about what I saw. It says book lists are available in the summer but family is asking now if there are any books they can purchase for me. Would any current students have any comments on this?

I remember during my interview the student ambassadors said that they rarely buy physical books because everything are online. I mean I could be wrong, or maybe it was from a different interview, but that's what I remember. Maybe a first year can provide more info on that?

Has anyone received a packet in the mail at all I don't think they send one. I was accepted in November and put my deposit down early December and haven't received anything. I was under the impression everything we need to fill out or need to know is online so no need for a packet.
Okay thanks! I wasn't sure because in the acceptance email they sent, it said to expect more info within 5-7 days and I wasn't sure if that meant by mail or not.

I remember during my interview the student ambassadors said that they rarely buy physical books because everything are online. I mean I could be wrong, or maybe it was from a different interview, but that's what I remember. Maybe a first year can provide more info on that?

Yeah, we were told not to buy books because everything is online.

Last edited:
Okay thanks! I wasn't sure because in the acceptance email they sent, it said to expect more info within 5-7 days and I wasn't sure if that meant by mail or not.

Yeah, we were told not to buy books because everything is online.
One of ours said he likes the physical ones. I'm the same way with some

One of ours said he likes the physical ones. I'm the same way with some

See I am that way too for some subjects and I was told by some of the doctors I work for that some still come in handy and they occasionally will reference some of their old books.

See I am that way too for some subjects and I was told by some of the doctors I work for that some still come in handy and they occasionally will reference some of their old books.
I really prefer books I can hold and write on versus online materials. I bet they will give us a list and we can buy them as the fall gets closer!

Anyone (current students maybe) know if there are specific requirements for the health insurance we need to have? Or will any insurance do?

@AlteredScale sorry for another tag haha

Anyone (current students maybe) know if there are specific requirements for the health insurance we need to have? Or will any insurance do?

@AlteredScale sorry for another tag haha

It needs to cover occupational health type incidents from what I remember. Idk if that means full or not but I know many who end up doing cataclysmic coverage as a means to get by because insurance in MO is so bad in terms of options and availability. The school recently adjusted loans out to provide for a 100 dollar "stipend" of sorts for the insurance to help with the costs.

don't they only have the ipad pro or ipad mini? or do they still have standard versions?

I thought I read somewhere that KCU curves grades. Is that true? If so, how do they determine the curve?

I thought I read somewhere that KCU curves grades. Is that true? If so, how do they determine the curve?

They basically curve the overall class average to an 85. Just final grades though not tests individually.

Hi there. I was accepted to the KC campus back in October, but am in the uncomfortable spot of waiting to hear from my top choice MD school (post-interview). I am all but positive that I won't hear from this MD school until March (they accept ~80% of their class then).
Is there anyone else who has been accepted to KC campus in a similar position? I would obviously like to start roommate and apartment hunting, but I won't be able to officially commit to an apartment lease until after I've heard from some schools in March. I was hoping to find some people in similar situation as prospective roommates and/or just to go through this process with. Feel free to PM me if you're in a similar situation.
Also, for those roommate hunting I am a 24 y/o M.

Hi there. I was accepted to the KC campus back in October, but am in the uncomfortable spot of waiting to hear from my top choice MD school (post-interview). I am all but positive that I won't hear from this MD school until March (they accept ~80% of their class then).
Is there anyone else who has been accepted to KC campus in a similar position? I would obviously like to start roommate and apartment hunting, but I won't be able to officially commit to an apartment lease until after I've heard from some schools in March. I was hoping to find some people in similar situation as prospective roommates and/or just to go through this process with. Feel free to PM me if you're in a similar situation.
Also, for those roommate hunting I am a 24 y/o M.

Same age, same situation. any clue if century towers is packed or still available?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Personally, I'm going to be staying away from CT

Hi there, I was thinking of staying at CT as its so close to the school , but wanted to know why so many people wanna stay away from it. Is it because the area is shady ? or anything else? I wanted to stay here as I dont plan on bringing a car with me to KC.

Reactions: 2 users