2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just submitted the secondary. I will start incessantly checking my email/portal for further communication beginning at 0800 hours tomorrow morning.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Just submitted the secondary. I will start incessantly checking my email/portal for further communication beginning at 0800 hours tomorrow morning.
Do they have a quick turnaround?

Reactions: 1 user
Any hotel and travel recommendations? I would like to travel to and from the airport, hotel, and campus as easily as possible.
I booked the Comfort Inn & Suites Kansas City Downtown on 770 Admiral Blvd. It's a mile away from the school and I'll probably end up ubering there in the AM. I'm taking a shuttle to/from the airport to the hotel with SuperShuttle ($18).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I booked the Comfort Inn & Suites Kansas City Downtown on 770 Admiral Blvd. It's a mile away from the school and I'll probably end up ubering there in the AM. I'm taking a shuttle to/from the airport to the hotel with SuperShuttle ($18).

Thanks! I was looking at Comfort Inn. The other recommended ones looked too fancy and expensive.

This.. starting to think an II here isnt all that special..

KCU is already a large class at 270 students. When you add a Joplin campus with 162 students, there are considerably more interviews to hand out.

Couple this with factors like:
(1) 1st year without AACOMAS grade replacement
(2) Drop in total DO applications from the previous year
(3) Early in the application cycle

Don't expect a lot of rejections, and take your II as you being a priority candidate for the school.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey an II is an II, and it can make the difference between matriculating next year and having to apply again.
All we need is one acceptance letter, after all.

KCU is already a large class at 270 students. When you add a Joplin campus with 162 students, there are considerably more interviews to hand out.

Couple this with factors like:
(1) 1st year without AACOMAS grade replacement
(2) Drop in total DO applications from the previous year
(3) Early in the application cycle

Don't expect a lot of rejections, and take your II as you being a priority candidate for the school.

I pray your right. Just got completed early this week. Im worried something went terribly wrong in my secondary lol

(2) why/how do you know that there is a drop in DO apps from last year?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I pray your right. Just got completed early this week. Im worried something went terribly wrong in my secondary lol

(2) why/how do you know that there is a drop in DO apps from last year?

I just remember Goro saying something of the sort on a thread earlier this year. I'll see if I can find data to back it up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Found some data (which actually disproves me!).

I guess it more or less had a plateau over the last 2 years. Probably a lot of confounding factors like new schools opening betwen 2014 and 2015, etc. I'm not sure how to interpret the applicant numbers.

Applicant # 2014: 17,944
Applicant # 2015: 20,447
Applicant # 2016: 20,720

when did you submit secondary and received complete?

Primary verified 7/3
Secondary received 7/28
Secondary submitted 8/6
Complete email 8/7
II 8/16

OOS
oGPA 3.56
sGPA 3.34
MCAT 505

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
II! Submitted secondary:8/9 II:8/10 OOS 3.32/3.40/508 Strong clinical experience Reapplication No campus preference

Do you know how it works if you don't put a campus preference? Do you get to decide once you are given admission? Does it matter which site you interview at?

Do you know how it works if you don't put a campus preference? Do you get to decide once you are given admission? Does it matter which site you interview at?

I called a while back and was told that no matter where you interview, if you have no campus preference, they consider you for both campuses. As for if you get to decide, I was under the impression that they pick the campus, but I could be mistaken.

I called a while back and was told that no matter where you interview, if you have no campus preference, they consider you for both campuses. As for if you get to decide, I was under the impression that they pick the campus, but I could be mistaken.

This is what admissions told me as well.

I originally checked off either campus on my application, however I have changed my mind and would prefer one over the other. Should I call about changing my preference, mention it at my interview, or how should I go about making that known?

It is most def possible to get an interview if one is below one of the areas of academics so as long as you are fine in othher areas. This happened with me.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I originally checked off either campus on my application, however I have changed my mind and would prefer one over the other. Should I call about changing my preference, mention it at my interview, or how should I go about making that known?

Call amd ask them to change it it should be fine.

Found some data (which actually disproves me!).

I guess it more or less had a plateau over the last 2 years. Probably a lot of confounding factors like new schools opening betwen 2014 and 2015, etc. I'm not sure how to interpret the applicant numbers.

Applicant # 2014: 17,944
Applicant # 2015: 20,447
Applicant # 2016: 20,720

New campus and changes in admin was mainly why it tapered off.

Primary verified 7/3
Secondary received 7/28
Secondary submitted 8/6
Complete email 8/7
II 8/16

OOS
oGPA 3.56
sGPA 3.34
MCAT 505
This is very fast turnaround. I saw some where on thread it says takes 2 weeks to show complete.

Just got the secondary... IN MY PROMOTIONS FOLDER FROM 4 DAYS AGO ARE YOU KIDDING ME
Secondary received yesterday, secondary submitted today, application complete today, II.... tbd

New campus and changes in admin was mainly why it tapered off.

This is national AACOMAS data (all DO schools), not just KCU. Just interesting to see!

Call amd ask them to change it it should be fine.

What about if you put a campus preference and you're open to both locations now? Is that something you think is advisable?

Anyone have submitted August 6th and still no complete email? Also any one know what complete means full review of application or just checking all doc received.?

Anyone have submitted August 6th and still no complete email? Also any one know what complete means full review of application or just checking all doc received.?

First you'll get..
" Your application has been submitted. Please allow our admissions staff time to process your application and other materials. We will send out further communication within 5-7 business days, although every effort is made to process as soon as possible. We thank you for your patience. "

Then...
" Your application to KCU-COM is now complete and is in the review stage. Please give our office up to 6 weeks to review your application, although every effort is made to review as quickly as possible. "

Then...

II!!

II! Submitted secondary:8/9 II:8/10 OOS 3.32/3.40/508 Strong clinical experience Reapplication No campus preference
Hey, since you chose "no preference for campus", what did you write in the space in the primary where it asks for an explanation for preference? Also, did you fill anything in the additional info space on the primary?

For those that stated no preference for campus in the primary, what did ya'll write in the space on the primary where it asks for an explanation for preference?

Hey, since you chose "no preference for campus", what did you write in the space in the primary where it asks for an explanation for preference? Also, did you fill anything in the additional info space on the primary?

I said that KC was closer to home ( Iowa) which is nice and Joplin is brand new and therefore state of the art so I could see succeeding in either place.

In the additional space I put something explaining how my poor collegiate start actually wound up making me a stronger student and person, basically.

II 9/19 8am at Joplin cause there weren't any available for KC. But flights going anywhere near Joplin are ridiculously expensive so flying in/out of MCI + driving :arghh:

anyone else on the same day?

stats: OOS, 3.48/3.49, 514 ORM

For those that stated no preference for campus in the primary, what did ya'll write in the space on the primary where it asks for an explanation for preference?
I don't think I wrote anything? I think this was more for peope with a preference. If I said anything, it was extremely vague like "I feel each campus will give me an equal opportunity for success" or something.

Just FYI, you cant change campus preference! Talked to admissions.

Reactions: 1 users
So reading over the scholarships and see that a few are given out simply according to GPA and MCAT. Would this possibly deter the school away from accepting some applicants with excellent GPA and MCAT? Maybe I don't understand how scholarships work but isn't every "strong stat" applicant acceptance $5-10K that the school is losing basically?

As an applicant with a 3.85+ gpa and 508+ MCAT, will I possibly be competing more against the higher stat applicants than the whole applicant field since that's the cutoff for one of their scholarhips, and they're kind of decidicing who to give $10k scholarship to?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
So reading over the scholarships and see that a few are given out simply according to GPA and MCAT. Would this possibly deter the school away from accepting some applicants with excellent GPA and MCAT? Maybe I don't understand how scholarships work but isn't every "strong stat" applicant acceptance $5-10K that the school is losing basically?

As an applicant with a 3.85+ gpa and 508+ MCAT, will I possibly be competing more against the higher stat applicants than the whole applicant field since that's the cutoff for one of their scholarhips, and they're kind of decidicing who to give $10k scholarship to?

At the same time, it buffs their average GPA/ MCAT, bringing in more people. I think people like you make them money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the same time, it buffs their average GPA/ MCAT, bringing in more people. I think people like you make them money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But also deters applicants with lower stats to apply perhaps?

If I don't see interview slots underneath the Kansas City Campus, does that mean all the interview slots and timings are full? Or is that just a glitch?

I see options for Joplin campus open but my Kansas City.