2017-2018 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When were you complete if you don't mind me asking? And are your stats on the low, average or high end?

I'm new here and panicked and this posted three times and I'm not sure how to delete, I'm sorry!

Members don't see this ad.

When were you complete if you don't mind me asking? And are your stats on the low, average or high end?

So my situation is kind of unique (I don't know if this has happened to anyone else). I called them this morning because they had all my information in the "application status" page as of 09/1 except for my letter of rec, so I had wanted to see if maybe they hadn't received it or something (ah, anxiety). I spoke to Barry Ousley, who told me they are just really behind manually entering in everyone's information to be considered "complete," but they do have all my materials and they would like to send me an invitation to interview. He then entered the rest of my information into the system HIMSELF so I would be "complete" and I received the invitation to self-schedule my interview a few minutes after our phone call. So technically I was complete as of 09/21 (today) and received my invitation the same day. So sorry, I'm not a typical case.

My stats I would say are on the lower end for science GPA and MCAT: 3.86 cumulative, 3.28 science, 501 MCAT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Gotcha thanks for that detailed explanation. lol I had spoken to Barry Ousley last friday and he said I was complete. Said I should be hearing back by the middle of this week. But since its thursday already I am kinda going crazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha thanks for that detailed explanation. lol I had spoken to Barry Ousley last friday and he said I was complete. Said I should be hearing back by the middle of this week. But since its thursday already I am kinda going crazy.

They're probably just really behind. If you want when I get the official email I can screenshot and give you the info :)

You don't happen to know if they're interview style is panel or MMI do you?

They're probably just really behind. If you want when I get the official email I can screenshot and give you the info :)

You don't happen to know if they're interview style is panel or MMI do you?
I Assume its panel since if you go back in the thread, you can see people talking about how they had two individual interviewers who asked them questions. You might wanna read through the whole thread cause you get a better idea of what to expect. :)

I'll message you about the screenshot.

I Assume its panel since if you go back in the thread, you can see people talking about how they had two individual interviewers who asked them questions. You might wanna read through the whole thread cause you get a better idea of what to expect. :)

I'll message you about the screenshot.

That's what I was thinking too when I had skimmed; but I'll keep looking through it in more detail, thanks!

Where do I see the application status? When I go into the candidate portal, I don't see anywhere I could check that status.

Nevermind I found it

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I just got interview invite this morning! I have yet to schedule. Was wondering how much time I should give myself to adequately prepare (if I should try to take the soonest interview date or not; ideally I would like to give myself a week in advance to prepare travel arrangements). Any tips on how to prepare for interview questions? Also, anyone know if the actual interviews were panel or MMI style? Thanks!

Sooner the better. The interviews are not panel, they are one on one with 1 MD/DO and 1 PhD.

Sooner the better. The interviews are not panel, they are one on one with 1 MD/DO and 1 PhD.

Thanks! Once I get the official interview invite email tomorrow morning (according to Barry) I can schedule; but I'm hoping for next weekend as I need time to make travel arrangements.

Anyone who submitted after 8/6 and got II? I am still waiting... Sigh..

Anyone who submitted after 8/6 and got II? I am still waiting... Sigh..
Not to make you feel bad or anything, but I do not think they are processing it by submission date. I submitted my primary on 8/1, got secondary on 8/17, Complete on 8/22 (presumably), and got II on 9/15. I had to call them for them to officially mark me complete and then I got II the second day...

Once you log in, click on "ASIST" (might be in the center of the page or on the right-hand column that opens up when you place your mouse on the lines next to your name)--> "General Info" tab on the top --> "Applicant Status"

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you log in, click on "ASIST" (might be in the center of the page or on the right-hand column that opens up when you place your mouse on the lines next to your name)--> "General Info" tab on the top --> "Applicant Status"
Thanks, found it

Can any current OMS4 students tell me which prospective residencies the majority of students are most likely to apply to? Are there any specialties like OB/GYN, surgery, or emergency med?

For those who got the interview invite recently (during this week), what are the next interview date availabilities? Can you get an interview spot the week after you get an II?

Do all of you have the option to pay your deposit? I interviewed last week and under acceptance in the portal it gives me the option to pay the deposit but I have not yet heard on a decision from them. DOes anyone else have that option as well who hasn't been accepted?

Hmm...does anyone know when is the next time they will give out the acceptance calls? This is nerve wracking...

Do all of you have the option to pay your deposit? I interviewed last week and under acceptance in the portal it gives me the option to pay the deposit but I have not yet heard on a decision from them. DOes anyone else have that option as well who hasn't been accepted?
I think they will call you first before upgrade the portal. The deposit part is always like that from beginning...

Hmm...does anyone know when is the next time they will give out the acceptance calls? This is nerve wracking...
I think they meet on Wednesdays, so they would probably call you that night or Thursday night. I got my call on a Wed night.

I think they meet on Wednesdays, so they would probably call you that night or Thursday night. I got my call on a Wed night.
Did you receive the call the Wednesday right after your interview or did it take a few weeks?

I think the dean said they have meetings every 2 weeks or 3 weeks.
Did you receive the call the Wednesday right after your interview or did it take a few weeks?

I interviewed on a Thursday the day after they met, so they didn't meet again for 2 weeks. Then I got the call the day they met. So you may get lucky and only wait a week, but I had to wait 2.

Well, interviewed last Thursday on September 21. Thought I had a great interview and really felt like I belonged here at LUCOM, but just received my rejection email. I'll post any feedback I get as far as what kept me from getting accepted so if I made any mistakes or anything, future interviewees can avoid those!

Well, interviewed last Thursday on September 21. Thought I had a great interview and really felt like I belonged here at LUCOM, but just received my rejection email. I'll post any feedback I get as far as what kept me from getting accepted so if I made any mistakes or anything, future interviewees can avoid those!

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck with the rest of the cycle.

Did they say what the reason was for not gettin accepted?

Did they say what the reason was for not gettin accepted?
No I haven't heard back as of yet. I asked for some feedback so we will see what they say. As soon as I hear back from them I'll post on here

Interviewed here yesterday. I really liked it a lot! Everyone was really nice and the interview was super low stress. I've come to realized that med school interviews (at least the ones I have interviewed at so far), have not been stressful at all and very conversational. So general rule of thumb is 2 weeks to hear back I am guessing?

No I haven't heard back as of yet. I asked for some feedback so we will see what they say. As soon as I hear back from them I'll post on here
I'm in the same boat, rejected after a great interview and day, and had the same feelings as you... so I was just curious.

I'm in the same boat, rejected after a great interview and day, and had the same feelings as you... so I was just curious.
When was your interview date? I interviewed the 22nd and haven't heard anything yet. I wonder if they haven't gotten to my group yet.

the admissions tab on mylu account just disappeared. I called the office yesterday to check on the status and now its gone. is it a sign lolol

the admissions tab on mylu account just disappeared. I called the office yesterday to check on the status and now its gone. is it a sign lolol
My status went from provisional to inactive application....I have no idea what it means

My status went from provisional to inactive application....I have no idea what it means

That happened to me too. I had to have Mr. Barry Ousley change it for me. He told me they were having some computer glitch.

Although, he fixed it, It reverted back to the inactive status at 12am the next day. I ended up having it corrected 3 times and each time it reverted back. Anyway, the 4th time, he said he fixed it and said he would contact IT to see if something could be done to fix it. Lol I ended up getting my interview invite before the end of that day and so my status changed to pending interview. After that status change I haven’t had any problem with the inactive application status.

But if I were you, i would call them and let them know that it’s inactive. I was scared that when it said inactive, my application would fall through the cracks and not get reviewed. Because mine kept on getting inactive, my interview invite didn’t come for almost 2 weeks and I ended up getting stuck behind a bunch of people that submitted after me.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Rejected: officially by email. Good luck guys!

That happened to me too. I had to have Mr. Barry Ousley change it for me. He told me they were having some computer glitch.

Although, he fixed it, It reverted back to the inactive status at 12am the next day. I ended up having it corrected 3 times and each time it reverted back. Anyway, the 4th time, he said he fixed it and said he would contact IT to see if something could be done to fix it. Lol I ended up getting my interview invite before the end of that day and so my status changed to pending interview. After that status change I haven’t had any problem with the inactive application status.

But if I were you, i would call them and let them know that it’s inactive. I was scared that when it said inactive, my application would fall through the cracks and not get reviewed. Because mine kept on getting inactive, my interview invite didn’t come for almost 2 weeks and I ended up getting stuck behind a bunch of people that submitted after me.

Hope this helps!

Our IT guys are good and we don't usually have too many glitches. SO this is not the norm, just fyi lol.

Good luck.

I know...super hurt.
Rejection email sent out on Sat after I sent them email asking for the status.
Wow, they are working on Saturday.

Hope this helps!
Than

Hope this helps!
Thanks! Can you pm me the number you called? It's been over 2weeks since I sent in my secondary.

Hope this helps!

I attended a recent interview at LUCOM a few weeks back, and I’d like to give my thoughts. Hopefully this helps others in choosing the right school for them!

Atmosphere: The staff and students here were very friendly. I was welcomed by everyone I met, and there was a general positive vibe and southern charm present throughout the day. The students we met looked and seemed generally happy. The town itself has a natural, southern mountain vibe to it which I enjoy a lot. This is a Christian school, and they are not ashamed of that. However, I will say it’s not as overbearing as SDN may make it out to be, at least from my perspective as an interviewee. They had a few conversations with us about their Christian values, but they were upfront about how they were inclusive to all people from all backgrounds as long as they share the service mentality of being a caring physician. We had a Muslim woman in our group, and at least from my perspective, she was welcomed just the same as anyone else. The faculty told us many, many times about how serious they are about serving the less-fortunate and underprivileged. They were upfront and urged us not to come here if that doesn’t appeal to them. I was cool with the honesty of that. The general vibe at this school was welcoming, southern, and happy.

Atmosphere: 8/10

Students: Very friendly, happy, and welcoming group of student doctors. They all seemed intelligent, well-spoken, and I got along well with them. Honestly didn’t have a whole lot of interaction with them. We were toured around by 2 women students who were awesome and helpful. I also got to talk to a few students outside after the interview. They all said LUCOM has a very collaborative environment, not cutthroat, etc. I even went and checked out the gym on campus, and the few conversations I had there were really encouraging and positive. Good peoples. No complaints.

Students: 10/10

Facilities: Just like any new medical school, it has pretty sweet facilities! The lecture halls are great, good seating, nice lecture-capture recording system. The teaching facilities all have expensive looking cameras, tv’s, and computers. The library is actually a decent-sized library with plenty of study rooms and spaces. The study rooms actually have walls which serve as the whiteboard. It’s pretty sweet! The OMT lab was nice, pretty standard. The anatomy lab is beautiful! Great ventilation system, beautiful view, and actual cadavers. The school itself has everything I’d want at my school personally.

Facilities: 9/10

Location: The school is in Lynchburg, VA which is a nice college town. I didn’t get to do too much exploring (Uber + AirBNB = freedom at a price), but in my limited travels, I really like the town. It’s got everything one would need as far as shops and restaurants go. Definitely doesn’t feel rural. The town aside, the scenery is BEAUTIFUL. I mean wow, it’s impressive. Gorgeous mountains in the distance, the weather was a crisp 60ish degrees, and the school is on top of a big hill or small mountain that you can see from different areas throughout town. It’s really nice. The view out of the back of the school is breathtaking.

Interview: So by now you’re probably thinking, man… this review sounds TOO positive. Well, my interview was pretty strange. One of my two interviewers was professional, conversational, and a pleasure to interact with. They asked completely legitimate questions for a medical school interview, and pushed me to explain some of my application’s downfalls. Totally legit. HOWEVER, my other interviewer was pretty weird. The other applicants who had this individual felt exactly the same as me and were relieved to discover that we both found them super uncomfortable. Here are some highlights from our conversation:

• Took a few minutes throughout of just looking at my application for what seemed like the first time and had to ask me for my GPA and MCAT score

• Spent a solid 15 minutes asking me about my Christian faith (which I mentioned in maybe one sentence in my secondary).

• Asked me difficult theological questions about why God sent Jesus to die on the cross for our sins, if I believe God is all-knowing, etc.
  • Painted a scenario in which I am an OBGYN, my sister was raped, and she comes to me asking what to do with her pregnancy. What do I recommend? That transitions into asking why I answered the way I did? I was asked when do I believe life begins.
I hope they were just trying to see how I thought through the difficult scenario, but it was a bit much. I’m really trying to convince myself that this interviewer was intentionally trying to make me uncomfortable to see how I handled myself, but I’m not sure. I’ve been on other interviews already and this was far different than any other conversation I’ve had with admission staff.

Interview: 5/10 (One interviewer was 10/10, other was 0/10)

Academics: So I know this school is new, but they really, REALLY avoided talking about their academic success. They focused so much on their mission, values, and what it’s like to be a student here. I appreciate all that, but I first and foremost want to know I will be trained to be a prepared, highly competitive student for residency. Pretty much all they touched on was that they were 87% first time COMLEX pass rate last year, and they won’t have more data until March. The one defense they had was that this was the best score out of the past 11 new DO programs (not 100% sure this is exactly what they said, but pretty sure). Every time I would pry into how well they would prepare me for COMLEX/USMLE, they basically said it’s on me and how well I study (true to an extent, but I’d like to see them be proud of their curriculum and preparation).They didn’t explain their curriculum a whole lot. I know they have OSCE’s, classes, and tests. They told us their SIM lab and OSCE area was really nice, but they were in use by students for testing so we didn’t get to see it. I’m sure they’re fine though.

One faculty told us the attrition rate for the first year, which I don’t think they meant to do. They had 162 students in the first class and now have 129 left. That’s pretty bad AFAIK. They said they took some people they really shouldn’t have, but I’m not sure that explains everything. So that statistic, along with the lack of “bragging” about their academic success and curriculum makes me hesitant about possibly attending here. Their lectures are not mandatory though, so that is pretty dank.

Academics: 6/10

Miscellaneous:

• Lecture is OPTIONAL. Hallelujah, something great about this school that I wish every DO program had. Lecture are apparently uploaded within an hour or so of class. You are only required to attend certain guest lectures, OSCE’s, and labs.

• One faculty member mentioned the Code of Conduct. TL;DR no drugs or alcohol or other lewd behavior. IDK why this even exists, but it does. It’s kinda ridiculous, but if you are on your own time, you’re on your own time. I don’t know if this could get you in trouble if you got “caught” drinking out in town or something. Like I said, it’s kinda ridiculous and makes me uncomfortable.

• Cost of attendance is like 65k-75k a year

• They have tests every 2 weeks on Mondays (kill me)

• 500-600 interview invites per year

• ~150 admitted

• They said although their minimum MCAT is 500, they have taken sub-500 MCAT students before based on outstanding other factors.

• You will be notified within 3-4 weeks after your interview of your final admissions decision

• The assistant Dean said that last year ~90% of the waitlist was eventually admitted into the class. Not sure if he misspoke, but that’s what he said. Pretty encouraging for any waitlisted students.

Overall: I really wanted to like this school enough to consider attending. I did. SDN talks bad about it all the time, and much of it is unwarranted. However, they really didn’t prove much academically. I don’t feel comfortable attending here based on what I saw. Maybe in a few years, we will see match rates and more COMLEX scores, but we don’t have much right now. If this was the only school that accepted me, I’d be like “OK some of it is weird, but it’ll make me a doctor.” and i’d work my butt off. It’s not my first choice, but I think it’s a decent school that needs time to prove itself.

Overall: 7/10

P.S. I was accepted here and notified in <2 weeks of my interview date!

Question answered, nevermind!

Last edited by a moderator:
I emailed Mr. Barry Ousley to fix my inactive status and I also got an II. Haven't scheduled it yet, just wanted to let those of you who are having this issue that you should email or call the admissions office!

I emailed Mr. Barry Ousley to fix my inactive status and I also got an II. Haven't scheduled it yet, just wanted to let those of you who are having this issue that you should email or call the admissions office!
i dont know if my status is inactive. just the whole admissions tab disappeared. is that what you guys are talking about?

i dont know if my status is inactive. just the whole admissions tab disappeared. is that what you guys are talking about?
No, for us it had specifically said "Inactive" on top of the general admissions page.

Holy moly, tons of activity around here since I last checked in. If y'all are concerned with your interviews or any other questions yall have, please shoot me a PM and I'll get back to you with some advice!

Does anybody know if low GPA on your senior year would affect the acceptance already received by the school?

Does anybody know if low GPA on your senior year would affect the acceptance already received by the school?
I’d say it would affect it depending on how much your gpa ends up changing. That’s just my thinking. I don’t know their official stance.