2017-2018 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’d say it would affect it depending on how much your gpa ends up changing. That’s just my thinking. I don’t know their official stance.
May depend on the classes you are taking; if it's a pre-req/recommended course make sure you meet any requirements they may have.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got THE call. Accepted! Feels so unreal

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
accepted, interviewed 9/18 :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone, how long did it take after submitting your secondary to get an interview?

Hello everyone, how long did it take after submitting your secondary to get an interview?
For me it took about 4 or 5 days, but on the day I received it I had spoken to them about my portal showing incomplete. Not sure if my call had them go out of their way and pull out my app before they would've otherwise

Last edited:
For me it took about 4 or 5 days, but on the day I received it I had spoken to them about my portal showing incomplete. Not sure if my call had them go out of there way and pull out my app before they would've otherwise

I had the same problem. When I spoke with Barry Ousley he said I was already in line for an interview invite, my call just expediated the process.

Hey guys! Does anyone know when the next interview date is?

Hey guys! Does anyone know when the next interview date is?
The last time I checked, it was 9, 10 and 13th of November. But spots usually open randomly earlier

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how long it took to hear back with a decision? 2 weeks is my best guess but I am not sure
For me it took almost 2 weeks. I interviewed 9/22 and heard back on Thursday October 5th.

Hello, I am interested in LUCOM. I love the idea of attending a Christian medical school. I have a heavy research background, does anyone know if there is a good amount of research happening at LUCOM?

Hello, I am interested in LUCOM. I love the idea of attending a Christian medical school. I have a heavy research background, does anyone know if there is a good amount of research happening at LUCOM?
From what they said in our interview it looks like right now they don't really have research opportunities. They made it very clear that they have faculty who do research but no researchers who teach. So they really arent big on research at all.

From what they said in our interview it looks like right now they don't really have research opportunities. They made it very clear that they have faculty who do research but no researchers who teach. So they really arent big on research at all.
In the interview they specifically stated that if you are interested in research and are looking for a heavy research school then LUCOM may not be the best fit for you if that is what you are particularly interested in

I’m working in the research labs currently. Send me a PM if you’d like to and we can chat about research

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the interview they specifically stated that if you are interested in research and are looking for a heavy research school then LUCOM may not be the best fit for you if that is what you are particularly interested in
Just wanna mention, during my interview, they said If you are someone who sees research as one of your main goals in medical school, then LUCOM will not accept you even if you have great stats (even mentioned an example of another student in that situation whom they rejected) . They said since it’s a relatively new school, their research department isn’t very developed. They prefer individuals that are hoping for a mission focused school. They do have a few research projects going on but they prefer not to accept students who are super into research since there are plenty of other schools to meet that need better than LUCOM and the student will likely not enjoy their time at LUCOM.
Good luck!

Lol I am praying I hear Dr. Patton and/or Dr. Bell's voice today. Also, out of curiosity how do you know did you call?
No I interviewed on October 2nd and they told us they would be meeting today.

Are Dr. Patton and Dr. Bell the interviewers? I am having my interview on Thursday... so nervous
If anybody can give me tip or anything, I will really appreciate it!

Are Dr. Patton and Dr. Bell the interviewers? I am having my interview on Thursday... so nervous
Dr. Patton is the Associate Dean of Admissions, and Dr. Bell is the Dean of LUCOM. I'd read up on the school, they used to have bios for the interviewers, but I'm not finding it anymore. For any interview, conduct yourself professionally, and know about the current health problems in America (ex: diabetes, hypertension, Affordable Care Act). Those can be topics at any school you interview at. Take your opinion on these topics and compare it to the vision and mission statement of the school, if you feel like they align with the schools values and mission then you really shouldn't have to worry. Remember, LUCOM is a Christian school, so although you don't have to be Christian they do want to ensure that you fit in here and that your character and values matches their vision and mission for their students. Any obvious signs against the mission/vision is a red flag for your admissions. I know that sounds like a lot, but it was the least stressful interview I had. They really showed they cared and took the effort to get to know me.

You should get an agenda with your interviewers name 2 weeks prior to your scheduled interview date.

You should get an agenda with your interviewers name 2 weeks prior to your scheduled interview date.

I haven't had any detailed information about my interview. The email only said that I will be meeting two faculty members. Where did you get the info?

I haven't had any detailed information about my interview. The email only said that I will be meeting two faculty members. Where did you get the info?
It was on an attachment that was on your email. You should call them and let them know you never received that agenda. PM me if you wanna know more.

I’m working in the research labs currently. Send me a PM if you’d like to, and we can chat about research

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alright, thanks for the responses! And the truth is I don't know if I want to hang up the research gloves. I have gone back in forth in my head. That's useful info to know; I'm getting a first author publication would it be unwise to update them about that. Sounds dumb to say that haha, but if they discourage research, but I'm really interested in LUCOM. I attended Oral Roberts for Undergrad. Truth is I'm still waiting for a response if I get an II. I applied a little late in early September, but they sent me an email saying we would notify you in 21 days. I'm assuming that's standard.

And for sure ill shoot you a PM!

Anyone know how selective they are with their secondaries? I received mine today after having my app verified a few days ago. I've read every page on this thread and it's getting me excited to work on my secondary for this school and send it in. I think I fit the mission fairly well, and so I want to write secondaries that convey my strong interest.

Anyone know how selective they are with their secondaries? I received mine today after having my app verified a few days ago. I've read every page on this thread and it's getting me excited to work on my secondary for this school and send it in. I think I fit the mission fairly well, and so I want to write secondaries that convey my strong interest.
They get over 3,000 primaries. Only about 60 percent of people that apply get a secondary. If you think you fit their mission, you should definitely submit it. They interview about 500 people from which 50% get accepted right away, 25% get waitlisted, and 25% get rejected. 90% of the waitlist got accepted last year. So if you end up interviewing, you have about 75% chance of getting accepted. They have 162 seats for next year. Who knows, you might end up getting an interview and eventually get acccepted.

Wondering if anyone who interviewed 9/28 got a call yet. It has been about two weeks, but I think they said it can take 2-3 weeks?
I interviewed 9/21 and still haven't heard back yet, but others have. Their response times seem to be highly variable.

+3 today or yesterday morning . Can I have a few tips about the interview process // format? Is it a 2 on 1 or 1on 1? Tradition or MMI? And what are the pros or cons of attending the school?

They get over 3,000 primaries. Only about 60 percent of people that apply get a secondary. If you think you fit their mission, you should definitely submit it. They interview about 500 people from which 50% get accepted right away, 25% get waitlisted, and 25% get rejected. 90% of the waitlist got accepted last year. So if you end up interviewing, you have about 75% chance of getting accepted. They have 162 seats for next year. Who knows, you might end up getting an interview and eventually get acccepted.
Thanks so much for putting everything into perspective! I'll definitely put the work in with this secondary and I see that their turn around time after submitting the secondary is pretty fast. I'm excited at the whole prospect of everything.

+3 today or yesterday morning . Can I have a few tips about the interview process // format? Is it a 2 on 1 or 1on 1? Tradition or MMI? And what are the pros or cons of attending the school?
Its 2 1 on 1 interviews in a traditional style, but they're very informal amd welcoming. It felt more like a conversation with an old friend than an interview. Most people tend to have one interview that's somewhat more traditional, and one that's more of a conversation.
Pros and cons change for everyone, especially for a values and faith based school like liberty, so that's more something you need to think of yourself and speak with them about, although the latest comlex pass rates put it on par with most DO schools. Id say the biggest pro (or con) seems to be the culture of the school, and the importance they place on service. Other people who have attended LUCOM could give a better answer past that than I can though.

Another question, i know on the website it says that we should be done with the interview by 3 pm? Is that true? Like is it possible to be done earlier??? I am asking because i have a flight schedule at 2:35 pm and cant push it back.

Thanks

Another question, i know on the website it says that we should be done with the interview by 3 pm? Is that true? Like is it possible to be done earlier??? I am asking because i have a flight schedule at 2:35 pm and cant push it back.

Thanks

I left exactly at 3 if I remember correctly.

Thanks
My interview day was also done at exactly 3pm

Thanks
No I don’t think it’s possible to leave earlier than 3pm. Although actual interviews are done by 12pm, they expect you to stay for lunch and the presentations they have after. We ended by 2:55pm. I don’t think it looks good if you leave earlier but you should still call and ask if you really must leave earlier.

No I don’t think it’s possible to leave earlier than 3pm. Although actual interviews are done by 12pm, they expect you to stay for lunch and the presentations they have after. We ended by 2:55pm. I don’t think it looks good if you leave earlier but you should still call and ask if you really must leave earlier.

It's ok i will just stay for another day, probably going to work 80 hours the following week.

Is there anyone here that was wait listed? Does anyone know when they would start moving it? I spoke with Dr. Patton and he said their ranking for the wait list was:
1) How long you've been waiting (I interviewed in August).
2) How well you did in your interviews (Both interviewers voted to accept me during the committee meeting).
3) If you stay in contact during the year and are still interested in their school.

Is there anyone here that was wait listed? Does anyone know when they would start moving it? I spoke with Dr. Patton and he said their ranking for the wait list was:
1) How long you've been waiting (I interviewed in August).
2) How well you did in your interviews (Both interviewers voted to accept me during the committee meeting).
3) If you stay in contact during the year and are still interested in their school.
That is interesting, since both interviewers voted to accept you I wonder why you were WL did Dr. Patton say? Outstanding pre-reqs? Lower than avg sGPA? I dont think they put that much emphasis on MCAT

That is interesting, since both interviewers voted to accept you I wonder why you were WL did Dr. Patton say? Outstanding pre-reqs? Lower than avg sGPA? I dont think they put that much emphasis on MCAT
I asked Dr. Patton and he said it was strictly MCAT, I scored a 496. sGPA: 3.58. Overall GPA: 3.70. Strong LORs. 2,000+ hours of clinical experience.

I asked Dr. Patton and he said it was strictly MCAT, I scored a 496. sGPA: 3.58. Overall GPA: 3.70. Strong LORs. 2,000+ hours of clinical experience.
Oh wow did he say that the cutoff for being competitive was a 497? thats what i heard. Doesnt mean you wouldnt get in but i remember them saying they LIKE 497+

Oh wow did he say that the cutoff for being competitive was a 497? thats what i heard. Doesnt mean you wouldnt get in but i remember them saying they LIKE 497+
I don’t think they’d waitlist me if they didn’t want me. Then I would’ve been rejected or not asked to be interviewed.

I don’t think they’d waitlist me if they didn’t want me. Then I would’ve been rejected or not asked to be interviewed.

How come you never retook the MCAT again? Did you already take it 3 times? Cause if you got a slightly better score you could get accepted at many medical schools. I ended up taking the MCAT 3 times so I totally understand how annoying it is. But its worth it in the end when you finally get a score that is above 50th percentile.

Last edited: