2017-2018 Long School of Medicine - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Love getting all these emails about on-campus events even though we haven't officially started yet. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi potential future classmates! So here's my situation, I am OOS and interviewed at many of the schools in Texas including UTSW, Baylor, UT Hoston, Dell and SA. I've been very fortunate to have been accepted at UT Houston and SA. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards SA since I had a great interview day experience there. For those of you who chose or ranked SA over Houston what were your reasons?

It's a little nerve wracking knowing so little about Texas and making this decision, I know I can't really go wrong with either, they're both amazing schools but I just wanted to get the opinions of some other people, thanks so much in advance!

Hi potential future classmates! So here's my situation, I am OOS and interviewed at many of the schools in Texas including UTSW, Baylor, UT Hoston, Dell and SA. I've been very fortunate to have been accepted at UT Houston and SA. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards SA since I had a great interview day experience there. For those of you who chose or ranked SA over Houston what were your reasons?

It's a little nerve wracking knowing so little about Texas and making this decision, I know I can't really go wrong with either, they're both amazing schools but I just wanted to get the opinions of some other people, thanks so much in advance!

Both are amazing schools. Go where your heart is telling you to go. You can't go wrong with either schools.

Members don't see this ad :)

I had a similar dilemma. Obviously, I ended up choosing Long. I put a lot of thought into it and did second look/tours in the same week in January (I prematched both).
I found that Long says they put their students first, and they mean it. At the end of my second look, where I toured the campus with a student with a similar background to me, Dr. Kellaway sat down for a 1-on-1 for 30 min and answered anything I wanted to know. You can also tell with their overall demeanor how much they care about their students. I didn’t find this attitude at McGovern.
Additionally, while STEP 1 scores is 99% personal effort, McGovern said that their most recent cohort had some trouble in a diagnostic exam and the school had to allot more time for studying than expected. This wasn’t comforting for me haha.
Also, Long has incredible clinical training. They really focus on making sure you are doing above average in their clinical skills in the curriculum.
Finally, Long had the x-factor for me. I felt like I fit in with the students and it felt like home. The administration seems supportive and caring. The students seemed so driven and excited about being in med school at SA.
The biggest draw for McGovern is that you’re in the TMC (Note: South TMC in SA is amazing as well) and you WILL have better research opportunities in Houston. Research isn’t the biggest priority for me, so that didn’t weigh in as the biggest factor. I know I’ll still get good experience in SA, but if you want to work around some of the most advanced research in Texas (the world?), Houston is a must.
All in all, go with what makes you happy. They’re both great and you could make a strong argument in the other direction if you chose McGovern. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users

Also this video can give you some really great stress relief as you try to make a decision! It talks about why there’s no true “right” answer in hard choices.

I had a similar dilemma. Obviously, I ended up choosing Long. I put a lot of thought into it and did second look/tours in the same week in January (I prematched both).
I found that Long says they put their students first, and they mean it. At the end of my second look, where I toured the campus with a student with a similar background to me, Dr. Kellaway sat down for a 1-on-1 for 30 min and answered anything I wanted to know. You can also tell with their overall demeanor how much they care about their students. I didn’t find this attitude at McGovern.
Additionally, while STEP 1 scores is 99% personal effort, McGovern said that their most recent cohort had some trouble in a diagnostic exam and the school had to allot more time for studying than expected. This wasn’t comforting for me haha.
Also, Long has incredible clinical training. They really focus on making sure you are doing above average in their clinical skills in the curriculum.
Finally, Long had the x-factor for me. I felt like I fit in with the students and it felt like home. The administration seems supportive and caring. The students seemed so driven and excited about being in med school at SA.
The biggest draw for McGovern is that you’re in the TMC (Note: South TMC in SA is amazing as well) and you WILL have better research opportunities in Houston. Research isn’t the biggest priority for me, so that didn’t weigh in as the biggest factor. I know I’ll still get good experience in SA, but if you want to work around some of the most advanced research in Texas (the world?), Houston is a must.
All in all, go with what makes you happy. They’re both great and you could make a strong argument in the other direction if you chose McGovern. Good luck!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and advice! I had alot of those same impressions about Long and also felt that it has that x-factor for me where I can't really describe why but I just feel like it would be a good place for me and my family. After watching the TED talk that feeling made alot more sense, that video really changed my perspective and helped relieve so much stress! Once again thank you so much and I hope to see you at Long!

Reactions: 1 users
I finally got my official acceptance letter in the mail today! A technicality given than they have already sent everything over email, but hooray anyway! Getting closer guys

any current students or incoming students know how important the welcome weekend is? i have to fly in so debating it! is it worth it will i miss a lot?

any current students or incoming students know how important the welcome weekend is? i have to fly in so debating it! is it worth it will i miss a lot?
It's not that important- it can be a useful networking opportunity if you're looking for roommates, but it's by no means necessary. I think less than half my class went

It's not that important- it can be a useful networking opportunity if you're looking for roommates, but it's by no means necessary. I think less than half my class went
Are guests welcome?

Hi everyone! Does anyone know what percent of the class came off the wait list last year?

Hey - just wanted to plug an update in here: a friend of mine came off the waitlist about 2 weeks ago (Mid-March)! He didn't previously hold any other TX acceptances, but had ranked Long first.

Just to provide more proof of WL movement!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey - just wanted to plug an update in here: a friend of mine came off the waitlist about 2 weeks ago (Mid-March)! He didn't previously hold any other TX acceptances, but had ranked Long first.

Just to provide more proof of WL movement!

That just means there are less spots left for the rest of us. :dead:

Also I will be giving this acceptance away when I have to, so that will hopefully free another spot up for those on the waitlist! I just am not giving it up yet due to unnecessary amounts of paranoia lol

I’ll hold your hand while you do it. You got this ;)

Also I will be giving this acceptance away when I have to, so that will hopefully free another spot up for those on the waitlist! I just am not giving it up yet due to unnecessary amounts of paranoia lol

As in you’ll wait till June 1? If you were to do that, anyone whose on the waitlist, but who also holds an acceptance elsewhere, will no longer be able to fill your spot (at least, I believe that’s how it works). I mean, you’d be doing a solid to those of us who may not hold any acceptances at the time (in that, we’ll still be eligible for acceptance off the waitlist until orientation). But you’d also be doing some others a potential disservice.

All of this is to say - please don’t hold a spot if you don’t truly need to! Congrats on your acceptance elsewhere - now please allow someone else the joy of receiving an acceptance at the school(s) you no longer plan on attending.

As in you’ll wait till June 1? If you were to do that, anyone whose on the waitlist, but who also holds an acceptance elsewhere, will no longer be able to fill your spot (at least, I believe that’s how it works). I mean, you’d be doing a solid to those of us who may not hold any acceptances at the time (in that, we’ll still be eligible for acceptance off the waitlist until orientation). But you’d also be doing some others a potential disservice.

All of this is to say - please don’t hold a spot if you don’t truly need to! Congrats on your acceptance elsewhere - now please allow someone else the joy of receiving an acceptance at the school(s) you no longer plan on attending.

They can only hold onto more than one acceptance until April 30th

I'll be withdrawing my acceptance on Sunday, no worries.

They can only hold onto more than one acceptance until April 30th

I still wonder about the timing of acceptance turnover with only a month to let the acceptances trickle through the TMDSAS schools. I'm glad they're withdrawing this week instead of that deadline!

Quick question for any current students who may be keeping an eye on this thread. I pre-matched in November and thought everything was good to go, then found out in March that I had a course deficiency due to taking only a one hour lab lower-division lab instead of a two hour. It centered around me changing schools where one did the lab in two semesters and the other did it in one. School two waived my requirement to take it and let me do upper-divisions and graduate without it. I have filled out the paperwork for the course deficiency petition, but from what I understand it won't be evaluated until May. Needless to say I'm freaking out a little bit because there is no way I can take this course before classes start in July as all of the summer courses I have found end in August. I'm afraid if they don't accept the petition and waive this missing hour I will be out of luck and will not matriculate. Not to mention that everything is already in motion for my family to relocate there, including buying/selling houses, leaving/starting jobs, etc. Any anecdotal stories of how other students have had this play out??? I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for some good news here.

Quick question for any current students who may be keeping an eye on this thread. I pre-matched in November and thought everything was good to go, then found out in March that I had a course deficiency due to taking only a one hour lab lower-division lab instead of a two hour. It centered around me changing schools where one did the lab in two semesters and the other did it in one. School two waived my requirement to take it and let me do upper-divisions and graduate without it. I have filled out the paperwork for the course deficiency petition, but from what I understand it won't be evaluated until May. Needless to say I'm freaking out a little bit because there is no way I can take this course before classes start in July as all of the summer courses I have found end in August. I'm afraid if they don't accept the petition and waive this missing hour I will be out of luck and will not matriculate. Not to mention that everything is already in motion for my family to relocate there, including buying/selling houses, leaving/starting jobs, etc. Any anecdotal stories of how other students have had this play out??? I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for some good news here.

I have a friend who found himself in a similar situation in March as well. Our undergrad does “mini-mesters” for the intro bio courses (2, half-semester 2-hr courses as opposed to a full-semester 4-hr course), and the school he pre-matched to was interpreting each minimester as 1 hr lab + 1hr lecture (whereas, in reality, it’s essentially .5 lab/1.5 lecture). The result was a deficiency in bio lecture hours.

He has since resolved the issue, and this was largely accomplished by not only filling out a petition, but by also facilitating a direct line of communication between our undergrad registrar and the med school’s registrar. That communication between the two schools allowed them to figure out the discrepancy pretty quickly, and now he’s in the clear.

I hope this helps + offers some encouragement! Best wishes to you, I’m sure it’ll work out.

He has since resolved the issue, and this was largely accomplished by not only filling out a petition, but by also facilitating a direct line of communication between our undergrad registrar and the med school’s registrar. That communication between the two schools allowed them to figure out the discrepancy pretty quickly, and now he’s in the clear.

I graduated quite a few years ago, but I think I will try to reach out to my school to see if they can do anything in regards to an official statement for the original waiver. I thought there may be some kind of documentation on my transcript, but unfortunately there was not. I'm really hoping they do a "holistic" review of all of my course work and life-experiences and decide to waive it - I just don't know how by the book they are.

Thanks for the idea!

I graduated quite a few years ago, but I think I will try to reach out to my school to see if they can do anything in regards to an official statement for the original waiver. I thought there may be some kind of documentation on my transcript, but unfortunately there was not. I'm really hoping they do a "holistic" review of all of my course work and life-experiences and decide to waive it - I just don't know how by the book they are.

Thanks for the idea!
Not identical to your situation, but a classmate had a transcript from a prior study abroad that was never sent over- even after months and months. They let him matriculate and enroll "conditionally" for the first semester and didn't bother him about it. They're pretty flexible

Not identical to your situation, but a classmate had a transcript from a prior study abroad that was never sent over- even after months and months. They let him matriculate and enroll "conditionally" for the first semester and didn't bother him about it. They're pretty flexible
That's reassuring. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

Does anyone have the residency match list from this year?

I am withdrawing my acceptance from here! Hopefully someone waiting will get it.

Reactions: 11 users
Yesterday was the last of the waitlist movement for those holding an acceptance, right? Anyone receive an acceptance here?

Yesterday was the last of the waitlist movement for those holding an acceptance, right? Anyone receive an acceptance here?

No, that day is June 1st. Still have a month to go.

Looking for chill roommates for M1. Will be in city during summer. PM if interested

That's so interesting there hasn't been any sdn waitlist movement here since March. Hope they're whipping up a huge batch to release soon

For real!! What’s going on here?

It is a little odd. I believe their welcome weekend is this weekend, so I would’ve thought they’d look to fill as many spots as possible before then. It’s possible that all these spots are going to non-SDN folk. Or, they might be waiting till after welcome weekend. Who knows?

FWIW, I think Long SOM usually sees a good deal of waitlist movement *throughout* May. I know a couple people in the current M1 class who heard back towards the end of the month. And for those of us not currently holding an acceptance, there’s hope right up to the buzzer ... :rofl:

Hey everyone. I was recently accepted to Baylor College of Medicine. Anyone care to weigh in on what I should do?

Hey everyone. I was recently accepted to Baylor College of Medicine. Anyone care to weigh in on what I should do?

Go to Baylor xD

No but seriously, if you are thinking about it at this point, chances are you want to go and I would suggest going where your heart lies.

Go to Baylor xD

No but seriously, if you are thinking about it at this point, chances are you want to go and I would suggest going where your heart lies.
Of course I’m thinking about it, it’s an awesome school. But I have grown to love Long bc of all the time I have been able to spend getting to know it. I haven’t had the same amount of interaction with BCM but I did enjoy it there and it’s obviously a great school.

Of course I’m thinking about it, it’s an awesome school. But I have grown to love Long bc of all the time I have been able to spend getting to know it. I haven’t had the same amount of interaction with BCM but I did enjoy it there and it’s obviously a great school.
Let’s just say there an obvious reason your name isn’t BaylorCOMguy

But for real, both great schools. Baylor might give you more opportunities if you’re looking to go into academic medicine, but there’s no wrong choice here

Let’s just say there an obvious reason your name isn’t BaylorCOMguy

But for real, both great schools. Baylor might give you more opportunities if you’re looking to go into academic medicine, but there’s no wrong choice here
Haha true! But to be fair, I created an account after match day, and wasn’t expecting to hear back from Baylor. Thought this was a done deal and it evidently was not.

Haha true! But to be fair, I created an account after match day, and wasn’t expecting to hear back from Baylor. Thought this was a done deal and it evidently was not.
Hey Longsomguy, I'm in the same situation right now but with Southwestern. I went the to welcome weekend at Long and absolutely loved it. I doubt any other school has faculty and administrators that are that genuinely invested in their students. I'm going to do a second look next week at Southwestern before I choose but I definitely understand how hard of a decision it is since Long is a truly special school. What undergrad are you coming from if you dont mind me asking?

Hey Longsomguy, I'm in the same situation right now but with Southwestern. I went the to welcome weekend at Long and absolutely loved it. I doubt any other school has faculty and administrators that are that genuinely invested in their students. I'm going to do a second look next week at Southwestern before I choose but I definitely understand how hard of a decision it is since Long is a truly special school. What undergrad are you coming from if you dont mind me asking?

Exactly. Long’s commitment and care is definitely unmatched in my opinion. But there are so many factors to consider when comparing other schools.
I go to Texas A&M

If I may chime in, I am neither on the waitlist nor have an acceptance at UTSW, Baylor or Long SOM, but I believe that you have to chose the medical school that fits well for you. I can assure you either school has great support for their students (according to communication with each corresponding faculty). All will provide great patient experience. Baylor has Ben Taub, Southwestern has Parkland, and Long has the regional health center in San Antonio (as well as other places) I would say that Baylor and UTSW may provide more research, but I'm sure you can find good research opportunities. Also, Baylor and UTSW carry more "prestige" in terms of rankings, but hey long is still an MD school so opportunities are what you make it. Whatever happens, just make sure you chose one where you vibe in. You are going to be there for 4 years, and congratulations on both of your acceptances!

If I may chime in, I am neither on the waitlist nor have an acceptance at UTSW, Baylor or Long SOM, but I believe that you have to chose the medical school that fits well for you. I can assure you either school has great support for their students (according to communication with each corresponding faculty). All will provide great patient experience. Baylor has Ben Taub, Southwestern has Parkland, and Long has the regional health center in San Antonio (as well as other places) I would say that Baylor and UTSW may provide more research, but I'm sure you can find good research opportunities. Also, Baylor and UTSW carry more "prestige" in terms of rankings, but hey long is still an MD school so opportunities are what you make it. Whatever happens, just make sure you chose one where you vibe in. You are going to be there for 4 years, and congratulations on both of your acceptances!

In addition to this^ I wanted to say that I didn't get interview at any of the three, so I people may know more than I, and I may be wrong. Regardless, good luck!

Quick question: I’m an Out of State applicant currently on the waitlist fir the Long SOM. Does anyone know if there has been any OOS movement on the waitlist yet? I’m getting a bit antsy. Thanks!

IS accepted off the waitlist today! Can't believe it y'all this was my first choice! :soexcited:

Reactions: 4 users
They already have 240ish members on Facebook for class 2022. How much room is there left for the rest of us, especially OOS? >.<

IS waitlist offer today, but I will be declining. Good luck everyone!