2017-2018 Loyola University - Chicago (Stritch)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmm looks like they are sending II every 2 weeks- Hoping to hear soon :/

Members don't see this ad.

I personally stayed at Hampton Inn Westchester. It's super close to school (maybe 10 minutes?), breakfast was included, and the rooms were comfy. I was coming from another interview so I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and then again for second look. I would definitely recommend it! I don't believe it was too pricey either.

It also has a shuttle to the school... or at least it did last year :)

They still do a shuttle to the school - I used it earlier this week. Super convenient!

Did anyone get the expedited review email (I think its a URM thing)? and if so, was your application reviewed quickly? Or nah

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get the expedited review email (I think its a URM thing)? and if so, was your application reviewed quickly? Or nah

I do not think it is a URM thing since you just need to submit your app within 4 weeks to receive it as well and no.

I do not think it is a URM thing since you just need to submit your app within 4 weeks to receive it as well and no.

Oh, ok! So are you saying you submitted it within four weeks and they still took a while to respond?

Wait you received a confirmation email after submitting? I submitted within 2 weeks and did not receive any email from Loyola, but the portal says my "file is currently undergoing a review by our committee". What's the expedited review email?

Wait you received a confirmation email after submitting? I submitted within 2 weeks and did not receive any email from Loyola, but the portal says my "file is currently undergoing a review by our committee". What's the expedited review email?

+1, I submitted hella early in July after receiving mine too :confused: can I be expedited pls

Apparently they are expecting close to 15,000 applications this year. So "expedited" for this school might just mean "we do our best to look at your application before Christmas."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
I got the expedited review email back in July (it is a URM thing) and I'm still "under review" and have been for almost 3 months so I'm starting to doubt it if actually meant anything

Reactions: 1 users
I got the expedited review email back in July (it is a URM thing) and I'm still "under review" and have been for almost 3 months so I'm starting to doubt it if actually meant anything
I'm in the same boat. I think it means our app was reviewed, but they decided to not give us an interview. I think this school does silent rejections so it meants we will probably get rejected eventually with everyone else or are in some kind of pool to be re-evaluated later.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same boat. I think it means our app was reviewed, but they decided to not give us an interview. I think this school does silent rejections so it meants we will probably get rejected eventually with everyone else or are in some kind of pool to be re-evaluated later.

I know a current student who had this status from July to February and she got an interview in Feb. You never know with this process. I guess if you don't have the hold status you're still being considered.

Just curious- what is the logic/reasoning behind why you think that it means they decided not to give us an interview if the status is "under review." I have the same thing, completed 8/18.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious- what is the logic/reasoning behind why you think that it means they decided not to give us an interview if the status is "under review." I have the same thing, completed 8/18.

Sure thing. Well if our applications were indeed "expedited" like they said and moved to the very front, they should have viewed our applications at the very next available meeting. Now, unless they're lying about us being expedited, our applications have been viewed by the committee. Because they were viewed and we were not given interviews, that is my logic. Idk what else could realistically be the case (again of course if they are telling the truth, which I think they are).

I think if you get reviewed you are either given a II or the hold status at this point. They told us in September they have already had over 12000 applications so there are a lot of applications to be looked at. There are probably more applicants than just you who got their application "expedited" so I think you guys just need to be patient (which I know is the hardest thing to do). Just keep on waiting and hopefully you will get an interview! (I've submitted 29 applications in early July & have only heard back from 7 schools so I totally understand the pain. The application process is painful and long.)

For updates were you submitting through the secondary app or emailing them? Also how are you formatting them, like a letter?

For updates were you submitting through the secondary app or emailing them? Also how are you formatting them, like a letter?
There's an update tab on the secondary portal to submit your file through. And I believe that the way you address it depends on the update itself (i.e. Research abstract, volunteer update, employment, etc.)

I wanted to ask about being an LGBT at any of these Jesuit/religious schools and how the overall attitude is toward it. It's just a little worrying what you said about birth control because of many positive benefits as well as tying tubes, but the IVF bugs me the most because some family members are work in IVF clinics and it interests me. Do you know of some of these standards are obvious in their research programs and the topics faculty work on?

What do you mean by standards being obvious in their research/topics? We still have lectures on birth control, etc as it's on Step 1, but I don't know much about research. I agree with the positive benefits but at the end of the day it simply is what it is. I will say nothing here would prevent you from being an IVF expert in the future if that is your goal-- you might just have to do an away at a hospital with a program in it during 4th year.

Does anyone actually have a "hold" status? I submitted the first day and still have "under review"? Also does anyone know how they feel about reapplicants? I interviewed here early last year and got waitlisted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone actually have a "hold" status? I submitted the first day and still have "under review"? Also does anyone know how they feel about reapplicants? I interviewed here early last year and got waitlisted.
I have a hold status and I submitted the first day

what does the hold look like?
"Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Your file will be held for further review later in the cycle. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February. If you wish to update your file, please do so within your portal. Thank you for your interest in Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."

Has anyone complete around late August have any updates past the typical "under review" i.e. hold?

I just realized, having submitted a month ago, they wanted a 2 paragraph maximum for the secondary questions. Definitely sucks - I really put a lot of effort into my answers and thought I would be a good fit there.

When were the last batch of IIs sent out? Any coming soon?

I just realized, having submitted a month ago, they wanted a 2 paragraph maximum for the secondary questions. Definitely sucks - I really put a lot of effort into my answers and thought I would be a good fit there.
Don't worry. My responses were not in two paragraphs and I recieved a II weeks ago.

Reactions: 4 users

Echoing what riley29 said, there have been SDNers that called Stritch to make sure 2+ paragraphs are alright and from what I read, they were okay with it.

OK, that's good. The 2-paragraph thing didn't seem to make much sense given the generous word limit.

For those who have interviewed, have there been a lot of out of staters and few Illinois residents? Hoping for some IS II love soon.

If I haven't gotten an II yet, how soon should I send an update? I was complete at 8/4 and have volunteered since then, but I'm still in the process of getting a gap year job. Should I wait til November to update so I have more to say?

If I haven't gotten an II yet, how soon should I send an update? I was complete at 8/4 and have volunteered since then, but I'm still in the process of getting a gap year job. Should I wait til November to update so I have more to say?
Because we don't know how often the committee reviews applications, it may be to your advantage to send updates as you engage in various activities.

II earlier today! Complete mid-July. Late October dates available.

Reactions: 5 users
For the people who have interviewed here so far, how long did it take before you heard about your decision?

For those who have interviewed, have there been a lot of out of staters and few Illinois residents? Hoping for some IS II love soon.

It was mostly OOS. I was kind of surprised about that!

For the people who have interviewed here so far, how long did it take before you heard about your decision?

Nobody has heard back. First decisions (of acceptance) can be released starting on Sunday per AMCAS regulations.

Ah interesting, mid-July applicants getting some responses now :D Congrats all! Crosssssing my fingers!!!!!!

Ah interesting, mid-July applicants getting some responses now :D Congrats all! Crosssssing my fingers!!!!!!
I'm early august, so hopefully there's some news soon

Do you guys know how soon after oct 15 we will hear back if we interviewed On the September 12th week?
The admission staff told us that they will call accepted applicants on the 16th. (I interviewed on the 26th).

I feel like when I interviewed, there were a lot of OOS students also interviewing, but almost all of the current students that I met were from the Chicagoland area! So I don't know what that means…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still waiting on some love from Loyola.... Secondary complete 7/10 :(

Reactions: 5 users