2017-2018 Loyola University - Chicago (Stritch)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for backing up your opinions broseph. Im mirin those match lists right now, and no hard feelings yeah?

Not at all man! I appreciate the reply. I hope that the people we eventually have as classmates talk in this manner (start and end debates respectfully)

Members don't see this ad.

***awkward silence after drama***

...sooo...i guess no acceptances nor CC today? Lol

Reactions: 15 users
***awkward silence after drama***

...sooo...i guess no acceptances nor CC today? Lol

lol....I could've written the same post... awkward.. and nothing for me yet! 2/27 II.....still waitingggg =(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
thank you to those who responded to my original question! from the past, i've definitely seen how well Stritch matches and heard how they also make sure the students enjoy their experience along the way. i was just hoping to see if i can compare the recent list to previous years, and I figured it was a bit early to have the official list but I just wanted to check.

wishing the best to those waiting to hear back this week!

Anyone know when fin aid comes out and how generous scholarships are?

Reactions: 3 users
anyone know what the dress code for second look and the diversity dinner is?

anyone know what the dress code for second look and the diversity dinner is?
A student on the facebook page said the dress code for second look is business casual. I'm not sure about the diversity dinner, but I would assume the same.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed 2/27. Wanted to know my fate this week even if it was CC (which would be a killer) bc their second day look is next Friday :/

Wondering when the rest of 2/27 interviews will hear

Interviewed 2/27. Wanted to know my fate this week even if it was CC (which would be a killer) bc their second day look is next Friday :/

Wondering when the rest of 2/27 interviews will hear
Sent a second update letter to mr. nabers for the second time. He responded to my first email w/ an update but not this one. Wondering if committee didn’t meet this week since no one heard.

Sent a second update letter to mr. nabers for the second time. He responded to my first email w/ an update but not this one. Wondering if committee didn’t meet this week since no one heard.

Idk i called 2 Friday’s ago and talked to Nabers. He said the committee will be meeting on 3/26 so not sure. Weird that they didn’t give calls last week since this week is their second look

Members don't see this ad :)
Same, and I interviewed a bit before you. Still waiting to hear and now very nervous

FYI: I called the admissions office last week to ask if a new update to my application (which I uploaded into the portal last week) would be reviewed or not (in other words, will my app--which has been on "continued consideration" since Feb--be reviewed again?). They returned my call this morning and informed me that ALL applicants who are currently under "continued consideration" will be reviewed again in April.

FYI: I called the admissions office last week to ask if a new update to my application (which I uploaded into the portal last week) would be reviewed or not (in other words, will my app--which has been on "continued consideration" since Feb--be reviewed again?). They returned my call this morning and informed me that ALL applicants who are currently under "continued consideration" will be reviewed again in April.
Can’t wait for another 2 weeks of anxiety :banana:

Does anyone know of they met this week? Or did the person who made the call ask dates?

Does anyone know of they met this week? Or did the person who made the call ask dates?

I did not ask about dates. I believe a previous poster said that they were told that the committee meets next Monday (9th). The person whom I spoke with on the phone today seemed to imply that there will still be multiple meetings because she did not know exactly when my app in particular will be reviewed.

I looked at the loyola sdn thread from last year. on the week of 4/9 - 4/13 a few people posted they got accepted, So I think we'll get some calls soon!

Reactions: 2 users
I called today to inquire about financial aid. Sounds like all the packages are done, but they're waiting on IT to assign login info. Everything should be released at some point this week.

I called today to inquire about financial aid. Sounds like all the packages are done, but they're waiting on IT to assign login info. Everything should be released at some point this week.

You're a wizard! Just got the log in info.

Does anyone see any awards outside of loans in their portal? Just wondering if they've put those together yet.

Does anyone see any awards outside of loans in their portal? Just wondering if they've put those together yet.
I got the login info too and set up my account. I only got loans...

I really wish I could go back and re-read the update I submitted because I have this small ridiculous fear that I accidentally uploaded some obscure dinner recipe document instead of my update, despite checking it 5 times before submitting.

Reactions: 5 users

I got a grant, but I applied disadvantaged, etc. and got a pretty meager amount. I was reeeaaally hoping grants would cover more, or at least that loans would be subsidized...

I got a grant, but I applied disadvantaged, etc. and got a pretty meager amount. I was reeeaaally hoping grants would cover more, or at least that loans would be subsidized...

Nice on the grant!

Unfortunate that it wasn't more :/. FYI - there's no subsidized loans for grad school.

Apparently loans for grad/professional schools are all unsubsidized

Anyone get any scholarships to go here? I found a nice little 5K one :).

I received a scholarship. No grants though... I don't know how I could be any poorer....

I received a scholarship. No grants though... I don't know how I could be any poorer....
Correction: I got the SSOM Scholar Award, so not a grant. Maybe grants will come out later? because I'm broke as a joke...

Anyone hear today? Uncertainty is killing me slowly day by day

when people called did you guys call nabers directly? I've call him a few times but he hasn't answered

when people called did you guys call nabers directly? I've call him a few times but he hasn't answered

i don't know. I called the general admissions office two weeks ago on a Friday and he happened to pick up.

Anyone know the rate of acceptance for those on the waitlist?

Correction on my part: 2018 match list has been trouble to find. But its the same with many schools as its so recent. However, I emailed a couple students I met on interview day and they said match list is posted on their main floor atrium. I'm hoping to get pictures soon and will post here once acquired.

The easily accessible match lists I was referring to were from previous years (2017,2016,etc.) which I had no trouble finding. I actually copied both of them to text files and attempted to upload them last night to save everyone the trouble of looking but my post is still waiting on moderator approval. Once that is approved I assume you'll see the post instantly.

Having spoken to a few of my friends that are in medical school, the match list can provide good information *if used properly*. Given the variety of interests year to year, looking at one particular match list for one year is misleading since there may have just been more (or less) people interested in a specialty one year compared to another. Looking across multiple years gives you a better idea of the reach the school has (obviously still highly dependent on personal performance). Also prestige of programs can be way different for residencies than medical school (ie. Rush is an average medical school but is a top ortho residency) so you have to keep that in mind when looking at the list

Please don't kill the messenger--I don't have any opinions to add to the conversation that took place on the previous page. I'm just attaching photos of the lists that were posted in the atrium from this year's match day. I didn't personally take the pictures, but they were posted on the class Facebook page. I've cropped out the left side of each list as they contain the name of indiviudal students and I'm not sure if they want that information available to the public. Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, but it should give you all the information you want! Enjoy!

Attachments

• Match 2018.pdf
    454.5 KB · Views: 245
Reactions: 7 users
Please don't kill the messenger--I don't have any opinions to add to the conversation that took place on the previous page. I'm just attaching photos of the lists that were posted in the atrium from this year's match day. I didn't personally take the pictures, but they were posted on the class Facebook page. I've cropped out the left side of each list as they contain the name of indiviudal students and I'm not sure if they want that information available to the public. Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, but it should give you all the information you want! Enjoy!

So some of those specialties have "transitional year" listed alongside the placement. What exactly is a transitional year?

So some of those specialties have "transitional year" listed alongside the placement. What exactly is a transitional year?

A transitional year is a one-year program that some specialties (anesthesiology, dermatology, others I can't think of off the top of my head) require prior to starting residency. So for someone in Anesthesia, you spend your intern year/first year in either Internal Medicine or Surgery, and then move into your official Anesthesia residency. Since the program isn't necessarily connected to your residency, you have to match for residency AND a transitional placement. They can be at the same hospital/program, but don't have to be.

A transitional year is a one-year program that some specialties (anesthesiology, dermatology, others I can't think of off the top of my head) require prior to starting residency. So for someone in Anesthesia, you spend your intern year/first year in either Internal Medicine or Surgery, and then move into your official Anesthesia residency. Since the program isn't necessarily connected to your residency, you have to match for residency AND a transitional placement. They can be at the same hospital/program, but don't have to be.

Oh oh okay. Thank you for the explanation! Is that the same as a preliminary program for surgery?

Anyone else still waiting to hear back from early/mid-Feb interviews? I haven’t heard back at all.
Loyola is still my top choice so this wait is killin’ me

Reactions: 1 users
Same. Does loyola call from a specific number or a private number? Or is it just random

2/27 and still waiting. I don’t think they’ll call today. I was told they were gonna meet 3/26 but no one heard last week. I don’t think committee would’ve met this week bc second look is today and they also handled fin aid for other acceptancees

How was second look guys?!!? Any gems you'd like to share?

284 accepted students. I met a lot of students who are on the fence, still deciding between Loyola and their state schools and/or schools that offered them $$$$$. There could be decent WL movement- there's still hope for those waiting, don't give up!

Reactions: 6 users

AMAZING day. So well-run, and the swag bag was awesome. All the family vibes I felt on interview day were still apparent on second look day. It was just seamless.

For comparison, I went to another second look day on Saturday. I don't know if it's just because Loyola was first, but this other one was not even comparable. We didn't even get name tags...

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know how many students they typically accept? I know most schools accept 2-3x the amount for the entering class, so 284 seems a bit low for an incoming class size of 160

284 accepted students. I met a lot of students who are on the fence, still deciding between Loyola and their state schools and/or schools that offered them $$$$$. There could be decent WL movement- there's still hope for those waiting, don't give up!

I’m withdrawing this week - hope one of you awesome folks gets my spot!

Reactions: 5 users