2017-2018 Loyola University - Chicago (Stritch)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all! M1 here. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Glad to see I'm not the only M1 lurking here instead of studying for MCBG :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
II this evening! Have heard glowing reviews about this Interview day, can’t wait! Complete early July.

Reactions: 6 users
congrats!!

I've heard that IIs aren't necessarily given on a first-come, first-serve basis. Some people get theirs quicker or slower than others, and I know Stritch really does look at applications holistically. A good rule of thumb is to wait until November before you start worrying :)

but i'm on the same boat as you though (complete 8/4), so I'd love to hear input from others as well!

M3 here! II's are definitely not first-come, first-serve basis. They will keep re-reviewing applicants and comparing applications to the pool as more applications/secondaries are submitted. I definitely wouldn't worry until around November/December. At that time, I would recommend sending an update if you can to show them that you are still interested and add anything more recent to your application. Loyola loves to feel the love, so if you're interested in the school, don't be shy about it! If past cycles are any indication, Loyola is usually backed up when it comes to reviewing applications (they get a lot of them!!), so take the "SDN interview timeline" with a grain of salt! I personally didn't recieve an interview until very late in the cycle, but the turnaround from interview to acceptance was ~1-2 weeks. Trust in the process and you all will end up where you're meant to be!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! How long have you guys been "under review" before receiving an interview invitation?! Thanks :)

Is there a difference between statuses??
I keep seeing "under review" on here but mine says "currently undergoing a review by our committee." Is there even a difference?

Is there a difference between statuses??
I keep seeing "under review" on here but mine says "currently undergoing a review by our committee." Is there even a difference?
It's the same thing.

Does this school do silent rejections? Has anyone got rejected yet? I'm wondering because I was complete very early and have not heard anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely fell in love with this school. The facilities are amazing, the faculty and students are great too. The interviews feel like genuine conversations and you really get to know the school on a deeper level. They treat you as an equal in the admissions process and you can see that through how they have students so involved in the admission process. Curriculum is awesome too since you get eased in the first year to allow you to explore so many different opportunities for service. Top pick! Come October, if things go well, I will come here! Lizzy M 74-78

Reactions: 10 users
Does this school do silent rejections? Has anyone got rejected yet? I'm wondering because I was complete very early and have not heard anything.
I'm not sure about the silence rejections (though I hope someone knows?). That being said, a lot of schools don't review things super in order. It seems standard that they invite people with either higher scores/people they're more interested in earlier, and keep the other people in review for periodic re-evaluation, which is probably the case with Loyola too. I know a great, new doc from here who interviewed in February and accepted in March. He said he submitted fairly early too. Mind you this was obviously a few years back, but is still pretty commonplace, that's why the interview season lasts so long! I get the impatience though. I submitted early too and still nada. Just gotta be patient unfortunately :/

Does anyone have a hold status like this in their portal?

"Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Your file will be held for further review later in the cycle. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February. If you wish to update your file, please do so within your portal. Thank you for your interest in Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."

"Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Your file will be held for further review later in the cycle. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February. If you wish to update your file, please do so within your portal. Thank you for your interest in Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."
Mine still says it is under review...

Mine still says under review as well..

Members don't see this ad :)

Submitted secondary on 7/25, mine still says I'm under review.

I've recently begun shadowing an MD, which I have been doing for about 2 weeks now. Should I submit an update? If so, what should I include? Just tell them how much I love the program? lol I am struggling here

I've recently begun shadowing an MD, which I have been doing for about 2 weeks now. Should I submit an update? If so, what should I include? Just tell them how much I love the program? lol I am struggling here

If shadowing is the reason you want to provide an update, I'm inclined to say it's not worthwhile. Others may feel differently, but I've always felt that updates should be for more substantial experiences, grades, etc.

If you don't have any shadowing already then I would update. Some schools would reject you flat out with 0 shadowing or some other clinical experience like scribing.

If you don't have any shadowing already then I would update. Some schools would reject you flat out with 0 shadowing or some other clinical experience like scribing.

What if you have a **** ton of scribing hours but like only 20 shadowing hours?

Anyone know if Stritch gives out merit scholarships? Their website doesn't give out any specifics...

What if you have a **** ton of scribing hours but like only 20 shadowing hours?

I think you're fine. I have 2000 scribing hours and 32 shadowing. I think adcoms are smart enough to not reject you off that alone.

Just got my II today! The options they gave me were Sept. 19th, 28th and Oct. 3rd. Not a lot of time in advance!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got my II today! The options they gave me were Sept. 19th, 28th and Oct. 3rd. Not a lot of time in advance!

+1. How about I seriously considered hopping a plane from across the country and showing up there in the morning? "Well, you said I could come on 9/19, so here I am!"

Haha! That would be pretty impressive. I'm actually in the area for another interview so maybe I should hop between the two cartoon style.

Complete 7/18. URM and Lizzy M 63. Any thoughts on why it has taken so long to hear back?

Has anyone interviewed here already? Does anyone know the nature of the interviews? Like how in-detail they go into your ECs and if they ask questions about current events in healthcare?

Also, has anyone used their student host program yet? I emailed them the day I received my II, but I have not heard back yet?

Complete 7/18. URM and Lizzy M 63. Any thoughts on why it has taken so long to hear back?
it seems loyola waits til the end of the application cycle to reject people. Could mean they are still at least that's what last year's thread seemed to indicate.
I'm not sure about the silence rejections (though I hope someone knows?). That being said, a lot of schools don't review things super in order. It seems standard that they invite people with either higher scores/people they're more interested in earlier, and keep the other people in review for periodic re-evaluation, which is probably the case with Loyola too. I know a great, new doc from here who interviewed in February and accepted in March. He said he submitted fairly early too. Mind you this was obviously a few years back, but is still pretty commonplace, that's why the interview season lasts so long! I get the impatience though. I submitted early too and still nada. Just gotta be patient unfortunately :/
last year's thread
Probably because they have thousands of applicants.
Reading through last year's threads, it seemed like if you didn't get an interview, you eventual had to wait until the end of the application cycle to hear from them in the form of a rejection email.

it seems loyola waits til the end of the application cycle to reject people. Could mean they are still at least that's what last year's thread seemed to indicate.

last year's thread

Reading through last year's threads, it seemed like if you didn't get an interview, you eventual had to wait until the end of the application cycle to hear from them in the form of a rejection email.

Last year's Loyola 2016-2017 SDN thread showed applicants (including applicants who were complete in July) who were rejected pre-II received their Loyola rejection email starting the first week of March. So they don't do silent rejections per se, but they leave you hanging with the "Your application is still under review" status for ~ 7 months before rejecting you--- I really wish all med schools would just reject applicants straight up if they were no longer a serious consideration or at least send them a "hold" email if they were borderline applicants who would still be considered for a future II.

Reactions: 3 users
Last year's Loyola 2016-2017 SDN thread showed applicants (including applicants who were complete in July) who were rejected pre-II received their Loyola rejection email starting the first week of March. So they don't do silent rejections per se, but they leave you hanging with the "Your application is still under review" status for ~ 7 months before rejecting you--- I really wish all med schools would just reject applicants straight up if they were no longer a serious consideration or at least send them a "hold" email if they were borderline applicants who would still be considered for a future II.
C'mon, you know this would be too tasking for the adcoms...

Has anyone interviewed here already? Does anyone know the nature of the interviews? Like how in-detail they go into your ECs and if they ask questions about current events in healthcare?

I have interviewed here, and I will say that you should know your application very well. From what I experienced, this school takes a good amount of interest in you as a person and wants to learn who you are on a deeper level than your application shows when they interview you. That being said, you should know your application very well for all of your interviews. There is no reason not to.

As far as specifics of what questions were asked, I don't believe we can say. Be prepared to speak intelligently on anything, but keep in mind that this schools (or my interviews) style seems to be more conversational.

Edit: if you are asked something you cannot answer or have not given much thought, explain that. I don't think asking for clarification or saying you don't have the answer to something is necessarily bad. But do make sure you know your application.

I have interviewed here, and I will say that you should know your application very well. From what I experienced, this school takes a good amount of interest in you as a person and wants to learn who you are on a deeper level than your application shows when they interview you. That being said, you should know your application very well for all of your interviews. There is no reason not to.

As far as specifics of what questions were asked, I don't believe we can say. Be prepared to speak intelligently on anything, but keep in mind that this schools (or my interviews) style seems to be more conversational.

Edit: if you are asked something you cannot answer or have not given much thought, explain that. I don't think asking for clarification or saying you don't have the answer to something is necessarily bad. But do make sure you know your application.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm interviewing tomorrow. I actually haven't had any school really dive into my application yet, so this should be exciting lol.

Is it kinda late to do this? I really like chicago but slightly concerned about the religious presence because I heard it is more prevalent than other schools with religious affiliation (like georgetown, NYMC, Einstein....not as abs a Loma Linda tho). Anybody have any input?

Is it kinda late to do this? I really like chicago but slightly concerned about the religious presence because I heard it is more prevalent than other schools with religious affiliation (like georgetown, NYMC, Einstein....not as abs a Loma Linda tho). Anybody have any input?

I am an applicant, so a current student would be able to comment on this more solidly.

When I asked about this during my interview day, I was told that religious perspectives come up in class as a way of informing students on the issues. I also got the feeling from students that the campus Ministry is a great support resource, even for those who are not religious.

I am an applicant, so a current student would be able to comment on this more solidly.

When I asked about this during my interview day, I was told that religious perspectives come up in class as a way of informing students on the issues. I also got the feeling from students that the campus Ministry is a great support resource, even for those who are not religious.

When did your interview day end? I'm trying to book a flight (as cheap as possible) but I'm not sure how early/late we'll be in Maywood on interview day.

When did your interview day end? I'm trying to book a flight (as cheap as possible) but I'm not sure how early/late we'll be in Maywood on interview day.

If I remember correctly, I was done by 3:30. Book a later flight though because the traffic to the airport, and the security lines, can be slow. There are nearby hotels that provide free shuttles to and from the airport, and will also provide shuttles to and from the school of medicine. I recommend booking with one of them if you aren't using the host program. Message me if you want my help with finding one.

If I remember correctly, I was done by 3:30. Book a later flight though because the traffic to the airport, and the security lines, can be slow. There are nearby hotels that provide free shuttles to and from the airport, and will also provide shuttles to and from the school of medicine. I recommend booking with one of them if you aren't using the host program. Message me if you want my help with finding one.

Thank you! I'll probably end up just booking a later flight and staying with a friend but that's all good information to know.

M1 here. Religion is present as it is a Jesuit institution, but its not like anyone force-feeds it to you. For those who practice other religions, like myself, Ministry is very accepting and even supports other events for other faiths (i.e. Shabbat dinners, Eid dinner). Are there crosses everywhere? Yes. Do they hold mass sometimes. Yes. But I think the Jesuit value of serving others is more present and intertwined within the curriculum than religion. For instance, there is Chaplain shadowing during M1 year that is more about watching them console palliative care patients than spread religious beliefs. There are many celebrations for different saints, but the majority of students participate by solely eating the free food. Ministry also has coffee, tea, and candy that we grab between classes.

To summarize the word vomit paragraph above: religion is present at Loyola but if you are not interested in participating, there are no consequences. There are many benefits because it is another support system available to students.

If you have any more specific questions, let me know.

Reactions: 4 users
M1 here. Religion is present as it is a Jesuit institution, but its not like anyone force-feeds it to you. For those who practice other religions, like myself, Ministry is very accepting and even supports other events for other faiths (i.e. Shabbat dinners, Eid dinner). Are there crosses everywhere? Yes. Do they hold mass sometimes. Yes. But I think the Jesuit value of serving others is more present and intertwined within the curriculum than religion. For instance, there is Chaplain shadowing during M1 year that is more about watching them console palliative care patients than spread religious beliefs. There are many celebrations for different saints, but the majority of students participate by solely eating the free food. Ministry also has coffee, tea, and candy that we grab between classes.

To summarize the word vomit paragraph above: religion is present at Loyola but if you are not interested in participating, there are no consequences. There are many benefits because it is another support system available to students.

If you have any more specific questions, let me know.
Thats kinda what I figured. I actually like the Jesuit value of helping others, but am not really a religious person and didnt want to feel like values were being pushed upon me. I might give them a try now. Thanks.