2017-2018 Loyola University - Chicago (Stritch)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does Loyola send a complete email or even a fee payment confirmation email?? I finalized my secondary in early August, but I have not receive any emails from them.

Members don't see this ad.

Does Loyola send a complete email or even a fee payment confirmation email?? I finalized my secondary in early August, but I have not receive any emails from them.
You can check your application status through the portal that you submitted the secondary with

M1 here. Religion is present as it is a Jesuit institution, but its not like anyone force-feeds it to you. For those who practice other religions, like myself, Ministry is very accepting and even supports other events for other faiths (i.e. Shabbat dinners, Eid dinner). Are there crosses everywhere? Yes. Do they hold mass sometimes. Yes. But I think the Jesuit value of serving others is more present and intertwined within the curriculum than religion. For instance, there is Chaplain shadowing during M1 year that is more about watching them console palliative care patients than spread religious beliefs. There are many celebrations for different saints, but the majority of students participate by solely eating the free food. Ministry also has coffee, tea, and candy that we grab between classes.

To summarize the word vomit paragraph above: religion is present at Loyola but if you are not interested in participating, there are no consequences. There are many benefits because it is another support system available to students.

If you have any more specific questions, let me know.
Thanks for the info. I am not overly religious, but appreciate the Jesuit values. I would love to be accepted here.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Weird...but then again this isn't the first school that had some portal glitches. Has anybody been rejected yet?
The worst portal glitch I've had so far was a school outright accepting me (portal status "acceptance" change and "Congratulations on your acceptance" email) and then changing it back to "in review" status :(

Reactions: 12 users
Wonder where they are with interviews......

Weird...but then again this isn't the first school that had some portal glitches. Has anybody been rejected yet?
They don't reject until the then end of the cycle - at least according to last year's thread.
they don't reject people until the spring (starting in March) - at least that's what the thread from last year showed.

Is it kinda late to do this? I really like chicago but slightly concerned about the religious presence because I heard it is more prevalent than other schools with religious affiliation (like georgetown, NYMC, Einstein....not as abs a Loma Linda tho). Anybody have any input?

Hey! Current upper classman here. I am not religious at all but I haven't felt the presence is too heavy here. Ministry is a good resource, but to be honest I never interact with it. I'm an out LGBT student and it has never been an issue-- Loyola has actually gone really far in making the school LGBT positive. Our M1 class has a huge LGBT presence (Like 15-20 people?? Huge for a class of 160!) and they pay for us to go to conferences, etc on LGBT health-- they even want to bring a LGBT conference to Stritch soon!

Tl;dr: Its there if you want it, but it's also easy to completely ignore. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hey! Current upper classman here. I am not religious at all but I haven't felt the presence is too heavy here. There are moments I roll my eyes at (one lecture on catholic bioethics that just became a discussion of abortion, chaplain shadowing)-- but 99% of the time you can just ignore it. I think what annoys me most is that Loyola, as a whole medical system, cannot prescribe birth control for birth control. It can be for dysmennorhea, acne, endometriosis, etc, but not BC. Similarly they won't tie tubes or do IVF. However if you want to do OB, it's easy enough to do any away and see these things.

Ministry is a good resource, but to be honest I avoid it and it's fine. I'm an out LGBT student and it has never been an issue-- Loyola has actually gone really far in making the school LGBT positive. Our M1 class has a huge LGBT presence (Like 20 people! Huge for a class of 160!) and they pay for us to go to conferences, etc on LGBT health-- they even want to bring a LGBT conference to Stritch soon!

Yeah being LGBT I was kinda weary of the religious schools but apparently most of them are pretty accepting so thats not much of a problem anymore. Its not like I can hide it cuz its all over my primary app in my PS and my activities so

Reactions: 1 users
Just interviewed here today! I fell in love with the atmosphere. It seems like the faculty and staff genuinely care about their students and want them to succeed. I also got the sense the students actually work together here and are really friendly/accepting! Overall, I'm very impressed.

Reactions: 6 users
Just interviewed here today! I fell in love with the atmosphere. It seems like the faculty and staff genuinely care about their students and want them to succeed. I also got the sense the students actually work together here and are really friendly/accepting! Overall, I'm very impressed.
How were the interviews? Did you feel like they were very laid back and conversational in nature or were they more structured and traditional?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am totally stuck on the secondary for "becoming a person for others" I feel like everything sounds cliche.

Did you guys use many or just one example from your life to describe it? Any guidance would be awesome

How were the interviews? Did you feel like they were very laid back and conversational in nature or were they more structured and traditional?

Not OP, but it was a combination of both! They're definitely not out to get you, but they had prepared more questions compared to other interviews I've had. I've seen people say that they really thoroughly look through your application. The physician who interviewed me definitely seemed to have taken a look through, but it's not like he committed it to memory. But both of the interviews were very pleasant!

I am totally stuck on the secondary for "becoming a person for others" I feel like everything sounds cliche.

Did you guys use many or just one example from your life to describe it? Any guidance would be awesome
I used four different examples for that essay, life experiences plus volunteer stuff

What is the interview format for Loyola?

I felt interview day was very laid back and conversational. One M1 told me his interview basically consisted of them talking about going to the gym. While mine wasn't quite that laid back, it was still very comfortable.

Any current students who have ever had this status know if there is still a chance to get into this school? My status changed to this after 2 months.

"Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Your file will be held for further review later in the cycle. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February. If you wish to update your file, please do so within your portal. Thank you for your interest in Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."

This school is my first choice. Do you think there are any updates I should make to my application that might help me? Or should I just consider this a rejection?

Last edited:
I've had this for a month now:
Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine

Is this a rejection?

Reactions: 2 users
Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine

Is this a rejection?
I sure hope not, because I have had the same message for 2 months.

Is this a rejection?
Have it since July 17th

Is this a rejection?
Have it since July 17th
Had this status for 2 1/2 months before receiving this update:
"Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Your file will be held for further review later in the cycle. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February. If you wish to update your file, please do so within your portal. Thank you for your interest in Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."
So, don't take it as a decline unless you hear it from the adcom directly.

Is this a rejection?
I've had this for around 2 months. One month waiting to hear back from a school is ALWAYS too early to assume a rejection. I imagine everyone eventually progresses to a review complete status though, and then hears back.
Me too! I imagine everyone eventually gets to a file review complete stage?

Had this status for 2 1/2 months before receiving this update:
So, don't take it as a decline unless you hear it from the adcom directly.

Mine just switched to this yesterday too. I was complete on 08/10/2017.

Mine hasn't changed from the "Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine." since I submitted in July...

II!
Question for any current students or anyone who has interviewed... are there any hotels in the immediate vicinity of Stritch and the medical center?

I am looking at the hotels they recommend, and they are all in Oak Brook, which looks to be a 25-30 minute ride during rush hour.

Any other recommendations?

Mine hasn't changed from the "Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine." since I submitted in July...
+1

II!
Question for any current students or anyone who has interviewed... are there any hotels in the immediate vicinity of Stritch and the medical center?

I am looking at the hotels they recommend, and they are all in Oak Brook, which looks to be a 25-30 minute ride during rush hour.

congrats!!! you received it today? what dates are available? thanks

II!

I did their student housing program and she offered to give me a ride there and back. She lived about 20 min away during morning rush hour. Saved me money and stress!

II!

I personally stayed at Hampton Inn Westchester. It's super close to school (maybe 10 minutes?), breakfast was included, and the rooms were comfy. I was coming from another interview so I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and then again for second look. I would definitely recommend it! I don't believe it was too pricey either.

I personally stayed at Hampton Inn Westchester. It's super close to school (maybe 10 minutes?), breakfast was included, and the rooms were comfy. I was coming from another interview so I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and then again for second look. I would definitely recommend it! I don't believe it was too pricey either.

Perfect, thank you! Just booked!

II! OOS, Submitted secondary in late July. They only gave two interview dates in October.

Reactions: 4 users
I got an email. Not sure if the portal changed before the email was sent or not though.
Good to know! I know some schools only communicate via portal, so I'm glad this is one school I can stop checking neurotically. Congratulations on your interview!

II this morning! Only 2 dates in October available. Hoping I can get that moved and that it won't negatively affect me!

Good to know! I know some schools only communicate via portal, so I'm glad this is one school I can stop checking neurotically. Congratulations on your interview!

Not to feed your neuroticism, but my Loyola interview appeared in my portal, and I never got an email about it :).

I think the way it works with these systems is if you see the status change on the portal, then the system automatically trashes the email, even if there was one queued up to be sent to you.

Not to feed your neuroticism, but my Loyola interview appeared in my portal, and I never got an email about it :).

I think the way it works with these systems is if you see the status change on the portal, then the system automatically trashes the email, even if there was one queued up to be sent to you.

were you checking your portals everyday? I never check it and now you're making me want to lol

were you checking your portals everyday? I never check it and now you're making me want to lol

Don't check every day. At most check once a week. You'll get an email if you get an update. Checking every day will just drive you nuts

II for their MD-PhD program. Completed 9/13. LizzyM 73.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey! Current upper classman here. I am not religious at all but I haven't felt the presence is too heavy here. There are moments I roll my eyes at (one lecture on catholic bioethics that just became a discussion of abortion, chaplain shadowing)-- but 99% of the time you can just ignore it. I think what annoys me most is that Loyola, as a whole medical system, cannot prescribe birth control for birth control. It can be for dysmennorhea, acne, endometriosis, etc, but not BC. Similarly they won't tie tubes or do IVF. However if you want to do OB, it's easy enough to do any away and see these things.

Ministry is a good resource, but to be honest I avoid it and it's fine. I'm an out LGBT student and it has never been an issue-- Loyola has actually gone really far in making the school LGBT positive. Our M1 class has a huge LGBT presence (Like 20 people! Huge for a class of 160!) and they pay for us to go to conferences, etc on LGBT health-- they even want to bring a LGBT conference to Stritch soon!

I wanted to ask about being an LGBT at any of these Jesuit/religious schools and how the overall attitude is toward it. It's just a little worrying what you said about birth control because of many positive benefits as well as tying tubes, but the IVF bugs me the most because some family members are work in IVF clinics and it interests me. Do you know of some of these standards are obvious in their research programs and the topics faculty work on?