2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought they mentioned a small amount of merit aid remaining for those who don’t qualify. But greatly reduced and mostly all need based now. On the mayo finaid institutional form there was a box to check if you were only interesting in grants/scholarship? Curious if that was need based scholarship they were referring to?

Idk I just know that I will pay 100% if I have to lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If someone ends up getting taken off the waitlist, are they considered for need based aid the same way?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

lol WL at both... last time i felt this undesirable was senior prom of high school

Reactions: 2 users
Just placed on the “highly ranked” waitlist...hmmmm
Haha jk WL

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
yep rejected on WL at MN though. good luck to all those waiting to hear back! i'll look out for your acceptances

lol there's a reason why Mayo didn't choose you. And yes I did unfollow the thread, was tired of getting notifications. There's nothing wrong with asking a quick question but I guess that question sparked a little jealous tantrum again. Pathetic.
are other accepted students like this too?

Reactions: 3 users
Waitlisted. Never thought I’d be happy to be waitlisted at a school.. let alone both campuses of the school ahaha

Thankful to be waitlisted as well! <3

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody know how much movement there was off the waitlist last year? I know it was the first year so the situation might be a little different this year, but I'm just curious as to how hopeful I should really be.
Also, heard last year that they had to contact people previously rejected to offer admission - any possibility they're just building a much bigger waitlist this year to avoid this?

About 10-15 people were taken off last year; or at least that's what they said during interview day. They told me they waitlist around 150 applicants but that was a couple of months ago so things may have changed. So...the chances of someone being taken off are about 10% if we are being very optimistic.

About 10-15 people were taken off last year; or at least that's what they said during interview day. They told me they waitlist around 150 applicants but that was a couple of months ago so things may have changed. So...the chances of someone being taken off are about 10% if we are being very optimistic.

That’s what I remember as well... but I was thinking without big full and half ride merit aid there could be much more movement this year... just being optimistic:)

I definitely am not. I'm hoping tension is just running high and we'll mesh with each other on SLW
if this thread already causes this much 'tension' and nastiness, GL to the class in the next 4 years

Does anybody know how much movement there was off the waitlist last year? I know it was the first year so the situation might be a little different this year, but I'm just curious as to how hopeful I should really be.
Also, heard last year that they had to contact people previously rejected to offer admission - any possibility they're just building a much bigger waitlist this year to avoid this?
I vaguely remember hearing 30-40 at some point, but I can't remember where. I did ask Susan a few weeks ago and she wouldn't give an estimate since they have no way of knowing.

I vaguely remember hearing 30-40 at some point, but I can't remember where. I did ask Susan a few weeks ago and she wouldn't give an estimate since they have no way of knowing.

I remember that too...I thought she mentioned that there was 50% movement? Maybe that for MN campus

That’s the number for MN!

Waitlisted as well! Actually I heard they accepted less than 10 people from waitlist last year! They accept over 50 so less movement than MN.

Does anyone know if they provide feedback to waitlisted/rejected students?

I think it's best we don't get hopeful anymore! We don't even know how many people were waitlisted and it's impossible to predict the movement this year. Im going to start focusing my attention to other schools. I enjoyed this thread a lot but it's time to move on. Good luck to everyone on the WL and big congratulations to everyone who was accepted. I would've loved to get the opportunity to go to Mayo but that's just life. Not everything always works out the way we want it to.

Reactions: 6 users
Waitlisted for 2+2. But going to withdraw. good luck everyone!

On the bright side, we can all turn off our ringers and walk further than 5 feet from our phones now. It's the little things :p

Posted on MN thread but got the R here. Got personalized highly ranked. It’s been a pleasure y’all!

If someone ends up getting taken off the waitlist, are they considered for need based aid the same way?

Bumping this question...

In addition, if you’re taken off the waitlist after or near April 30, do you even know your aid package before you have to dump your current acceptance to take the spot at Mayo???

Last year there wasn't a lot of WL movement here at the AZ campus (I think it was around 15).

Just to clarify, they never had to pull anyone off of the post-interview not selected list to fill the class. Our class is filled mostly with students who were directly accepted and a few pulled off the waitlist. You might be confusing something that happened at the very beginning of the cycle, where the new admissions dean wanted to get rid of a computer screen that used to exist. He wanted to give each applicant a shot and felt that the computer screen unfairly removed qualified applicants from the process before any human eyes saw their apps. There were a few students screened out by that computer screen who's applications were opened up again early in the cycle (like September) and were put back into the pile of applicants and evaluated like everyone else. To those of us who it happened to, we love to joke about being rejected, unrejected, interviewed, waitlisted, and accepted -- so I could see how you could have mixed that up. You can imagine what kind of a roller coaster it was for us! Ha

Congrats to all those who were accepted. To those on the waitlist, I remember being very bummed out when I received that same email. I started to make other plans and began to look forward to different opportunities. The call from my interviewee offering me an acceptance in May came as an absolute shock and it was much easier (and fun) that way than if I would've spent my hours waiting by the phone. In fact, I think I almost dismissed my acceptance call as another one of those dang spam calls that always seem to come from cities and states where you interviewed -- ha!

To everyone feeling like I did when you got an email instead of a call this week, just wanted to share an experience I had during orientation week while talking to one of the adcom members. He told me that it's an absolutely painstaking process to fill a class. Interviewers are constantly fighting to squeeze those they interviewed into a small class of 50, and the committee together is trying to find a class diverse in experience, talent, and personality. Correspondence telling you you were highly ranked meant they noted that you have done great things and they expect you to do great things -- and that doesn't change even if it didn't shake out this year.

Hit me up or any of my classmates on here if you have any questions. Looking forward to meeting many of you at second look, and hopefully we'll see you in classes next year!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Bumping this question...
In addition, if you’re taken off the waitlist after or near April 30, do you even know your aid package before you have to dump your current acceptance to take the spot at Mayo???

You're definitely still considered for need based aid even if you're pulled off the waitlist. My interviewer knew what I was going to be offered the moment she called to offer me a spot off the WL, but I'm not sure if that's always the case -- even she said that it wasn't official official until I got the email from the financial aid department. That being said, within the next day or two I received the email from the financial aid with a generous package. My interviewer was very understanding that finances were an important part of the equation, and she and the financial aid department did all they could to get me the info I needed so I could make an educated decision.

WL after a "very highly ranked" email and multiple email correspondences and LOI

Haha I didn't even apply to AZ but I am on the edge of my seat bc of this convo.

I didn’t even apply to Mayo Arizona and I have been following this conversation after it was highlighted by a friend who was accepted. So much bitterness despite the fact that most people who got denied here probably have an acceptance to a perfectly decent school. A real struggle is waiting months for an acceptance to any school that looks less and less likely as time progresses. Be happy you got in somewhere and prepare to be the best no matter where you go.

Rejected here but accepted in MN...I hope I’ll be meeting some of you!

Waitlisted Friday afternoon... Hoping to make it into that elusive 10% who get accepted off the WL!

Rejected today. Did not receive a likely letter. Waiting on two more schools to reply, but Mayo AZ was my favorite. All the best to everyone!

You're definitely still considered for need based aid even if you're pulled off the waitlist. My interviewer knew what I was going to be offered the moment she called to offer me a spot off the WL, but I'm not sure if that's always the case -- even she said that it wasn't official official until I got the email from the financial aid department. That being said, within the next day or two I received the email from the financial aid with a generous package. My interviewer was very understanding that finances were an important part of the equation, and she and the financial aid department did all they could to get me the info I needed so I could make an educated decision.

Thank you so much, this is very helpful to know!!

It seems that everyone receiving a "highly ranked" email was appointed or or placed on the waitlist/alternate list, right? The only post-interview rejections were given to applicants that were not highly ranked?
They say that their alternate list is unranked, so they cannot indicate a waitlisted applicant's chances of eventually receiving an appointment. I don't see how that could possibly be true, because they will have to decide (without a committee meeting) who's coming off the list in May.

It seems that everyone receiving a "highly ranked" email was appointed or or placed on the waitlist/alternate list, right? The only post-interview rejections were given to applicants that were not highly ranked?
They say that their alternate list is unranked, so they cannot indicate a waitlisted applicant's chances of eventually receiving an appointment. I don't see how that could possibly be true, because they will have to decide (without a committee meeting) who's coming off the list in May.
Unfortunately no, I got highly ranked emails from both Mayos but ended up with an R. There were also a few others who received the highly ranked emails and got rejected.

I didn’t even apply to Mayo Arizona and I have been following this conversation after it was highlighted by a friend who was accepted. So much bitterness despite the fact that most people who got denied here probably have an acceptance to a perfectly decent school. A real struggle is waiting months for an acceptance to any school that looks less and less likely as time progresses. Be happy you got in somewhere and prepare to be the best no matter where you go.
Just saying, you shouldn't be making assumptions about people who were sad after the highly ranked emails and didnt get in. For me, this was my only school I got an interview at.

Withdrew. Hope my appointment goes to someone very deserving

Reactions: 7 users
Can any current students chime in about the mandatory lecture attendance and the dress code here?

Like if you’re sick, sleep in, etc. do they at least record the lectures so you can review them later?

And as far as the dress code, how strict is it? I enjoyed going to class in a t shirt and sweats in undergrad...

1) You are expected to go to school, but yes the lectures are recorded for later viewing. Illness/doctors appointments and other reasonable absence requests are accommodated, and frankly it's not like they do a roll call at the beginning of class or anything (though with our small class and professors who really do take a personal interest, they may notice).

2) If there is a patient in (or a patient-actor), we wear suits. If it's just a regular class, the dress code is not strict. I usually wear jeans and a t shirt, sweatshirt, or thermal. I probably wouldn't show up in sweatpants. People wear shorts (I think that technically is not allowed but alas...).