2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected after highly-ranked e-mail. Disappointed but lucky to have other options. Congrats to those accepted!

Also want to say that following this thread was hands-down my favorite part of the application process. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
It would really suck to have interviewed at both campuses and nOt even get waitlisted :/
That’s me! R from both campuses. Highly ranked generic and personal. Stings a bit since my interviewer told me “You can expect good news in early February.” I wish the best of luck to those on the WL and to those accepted, a big congrats! This has been my favorite thread...ever!

Reactions: 2 users
Also waitlisted. Would have appreciated the opportunity to attend, but I can’t choose a school without attending Second Look given my other options. I hope anyone on the waitlist who has their heart set on Mayo hears good news. Maybe I’ll have the chance to come to Mayo for residency or fellowship.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That’s me! R from both campuses. Highly ranked generic and personal. Stings a bit since my interviewer told me “You can expect good news in early February.” I wish the best of luck to those on the WL and to those accepted, a big congrats! This has been my favorite thread...ever!
I'm so sorry :sorry:. I hope you have other options! Best of luck

+ 1 WL for MN campus. Highly ranked email, letter of interest. good luck to everyone!

Waitlisted. Received generic highly ranked email and sent a letter of interest. Good luck, friends!

Reactions: 1 user

So messed up. Email them asking what in the world the thought process was

I'm so sorry that's rough

I’m extremely sorry to hear this.

If it makes you feel better, cruel humor would be that he meant you won’t have to bother worrying over getting in from waitlist through May.

73E68C96-EAF3-40EF-A2E7-D7A0AC2A934C.jpeg

Me to mayo right now lol. Also literally (not the millennial one) just took this of my dog! I’ll update you all if i hear good news. Good luck all!

Reactions: 9 users
Waitlisted for 2+2, received generic highly ranked email.

I'm sorry for those who got the R and received the highly ranked stuff.. that's so strange. I wish you the best of luck

Last edited:
Waitlisted as well. Received highly ranked and sent letter of interest.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Remember the days when we were all stoked to have passed Mayos secondary “screen” lol

Rejected, received the generic highly ranked email.

So let me get this straight, they accepted 46, waitlisted about 150 and interviewed about 400. That means that half of all the interviewees were accepted or waitlisted. So why the heck would they send me a "highly ranked" email if I wasn't even in the top 50% of interviewees. That is anything but highly ranked in my opinion. I really hope they put some more thought and consideration into their communications with applicants and interviewees from here on out.

Good luck to those waitlisted, I hope you make it in. For me honestly, I'm kind of relieved its all over and left with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth for Mayo. Glad I have some really great option to fall back on.

Rejected despite receiving the highly ranked email and sending a letter of interest shortly after my interview. Can't help but to feel that Mayo toyed with my expectations and deceived me into believing that the highly ranked email meant something.

Waitlisted - Received generic highly ranked email and did not send a letter of intent/interest. Might reconsider sending in a letter later on depending on how the year goes.

Also waitlisted after receiving personal & generic "highly ranked" emails. Will likely decline, so it looks like this is the end of the long Mayo road for me.
Congrats to everyone who got in, and I'm rooting for those of you who are on the waitlist!:)

Waitlisted! I actually thought it would be an R...have absolute zero communication with Mayo since interview (no highly ranked email, did not send LOI or update)

Last edited:
I didn't even interview here but reading this thread had been a rollercoaster fun ride with y'all. Congrats to those who got in. Good luck to y'all in the wait list. To any Mayo admin reading this thread, do better

In this case I really would contact your interviewer for feedback as this is unusual.

Any info on when to expect financial aid packets? The shift to only need based as opposed to merit has me nervous.

Any info on when to expect financial aid packets? The shift to only need based as opposed to merit has me nervous.

Have you filled out the Mayo financial aid paper? It is on their website or you can contact their finaid and they can email it to you. They sent it to me yesterday because I had already been in contact with them. If you want me to send you it just pm me.

Hey. So I called the financial aid office yesterday and they very kindly informed me that they are trying to have financial aid available by March, which would be awesome.

If you're on the WL, is it possible to still get finiancial aid through Mayo if you're accepted later?

If you're on the WL, is it possible to still get finiancial aid through Mayo if you're accepted later?

Yes, one person commented on AZ that is a current student pulled from the waitlist and they got their fin aid info the same day they got the call.

Before I consider sitting down to write a letter of intent, can a current student be 100% straight up with me about living in Rochester?

It seemed... quiet... and cold... how id imagine a lunar settlement almost

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know if getting waitlisted affects your prospects with other schools? Like is there a limit to how many schools you can be waitlisted in after the May 1st deadline?

Have you filled out the Mayo financial aid paper? It is on their website or you can contact their finaid and they can email it to you. They sent it to me yesterday because I had already been in contact with them. If you want me to send you it just pm me.
I forgot about the additional aid page online. Thanks for the reminder! I'll pm you if I can't get it from the website.

This is embarrassing...but I have switched to a new laptop and can no longer find my portal link. Any chance some amazingly kind soul could PM me the link?

Can we fill out the Mayo aid page if we’re on the waitlist? Sorry I’m getting a little confused.

Did anyone else notice Mayo requires an alcohol screen during orientation? What does that mean, you can't be at 0.08g% or you can't drink within 90 hours of orientation? The first one I completely understand, the second I have questions about...

I'm curious about this too! What are they testing for?

Before I consider sitting down to write a letter of intent, can a current student be 100% straight up with me about living in Rochester?

It seemed... quiet... and cold... how id imagine a lunar settlement almost

The winters are definitely super cold but the fall, spring and summer are all really nice. There are a ton of people in my class from states where they never experience winter and they're all doing fine. I'm used to winter so was not a huge adjustment for me. That said we have selective weeks in December, January and February and I've gone to warmer places for many of those weeks, so I kind of cheat and missed out on the coldest weeks of the year. If you really hate the cold I would just do your selectives in AZ or FL then and 3rd and 4th year you can also request rotations at those campuses during winter.

If you go to second look the student panels will talk more about life in Rochester but I'd check the blog too because there's posts on that topic - Meet Mayo Med
IMO it's not a bad place to live at all and the city is growing a lot because of the destination medical center (Destination Medical Center – A Global Destination for Health & Wellness for more on that). We are also close enough to the twin cities and a lot of us will go there on the weekend if we want a break from Roch

Waitlisted for 2+2, but actually pleasantly surprised by this, considering I didn't get any of the "highly ranked" emails.

n1if0ipa57h01.jpg

One last one before I sign off until waitlist decisions.

Waitlisted at the Minnesota campus last Friday as well! Also was looking through last year's Mayo SDN and it looks like they sent out another round of "highly ranked" waitlist emails later in the spring... Don't know if I can handle another cycle of those shenanigans.