2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted at the Minnesota campus last Friday as well! Also was looking through last year's Mayo SDN and it looks like they sent out another round of "highly ranked" waitlist emails later in the spring... Don't know if I can handle another cycle of those shenanigans.
I have trust issues now tho.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Have all the email decisions gone out yet? I figured it's an R but I've only heard back from the MN/FL 2+2 decision and nothing from AZ or AZ/FL 2+2.. (also if the 2+2 decisions are separate from the individual MN and AZ campus decisions since we get considered for both?)

Just kinda want it in writing so I know it's finalized

Members don't see this ad :)
Have all the email decisions gone out yet? I figured it's an R but I've only heard back from the MN/FL 2+2 decision and nothing from AZ or AZ/FL 2+2.. (also if the 2+2 decisions are separate from the individual MN and AZ campus decisions since we get considered for both?)

Just kinda want it in writing so I know it's finalized
Did anyone else get waitlisted for both the MN/FL 2+2 and the AZ/FL 2+2?

Yeah just got waitlisted for AZ/FL 2+2, and received the MN/FL 2+2 waitlist last week. No word from the 4 year programs

most likely a bleak waitlist outlook for this school right?

Oh nice! I assumed Mayo had a very high yield, but this is reassuring.

It surprised me at first too, but then I realized the people that get into Mayo have lots of other top choices too, so that's why the yield is kind of low. Good luck!

Its yield is actually quite high - remarkable, considering its location (see chart below), but unlike most schools which initially over-enroll and hope for attrition, Mayo basically initially accepts just enough to fill its class and then replaces them as they accept other appointments.
p9ftyTf.png

Reactions: 1 user
Its yield is actually quite high - remarkable, considering its location (see chart below), but unlike most schools which initially over-enroll and hope for attrition, Mayo basically initially accepts just enough to fill its class and then replaces them as they accept other appointments.
p9ftyTf.png
Yes, I was about to add this fact as well!

I know I'm a tad late, but for all those who were wondering about the organic chem lab requirement, Mayo emailed me back:
Thank you for your interest in Mayo Clinic School of Medicine. We have verification from _______(my undergrad) that organic chemistry lab CHEM XXX covers a full year of lab. We will accept this as fulfillment of our year requirement.

So if your school has an organic chem lab that is 1 semester but 2 credits, Mayo will accept it.

I know I'm a tad late, but for all those who were wondering about the organic chem lab requirement, Mayo emailed me back:
Thank you for your interest in Mayo Clinic School of Medicine. We have verification from _______(my undergrad) that organic chemistry lab CHEM XXX covers a full year of lab. We will accept this as fulfillment of our year requirement.

So if your school has an organic chem lab that is 1 semester but 2 credits, Mayo will accept it.

With your thumbnail picture, I am confident you will have great success next year.

Members don't see this ad :)

Edit: I wish you good luck in being one of the 46 chosen ones Mayo deems worthy to accept this upcoming cycle!

I never thought to ask this, I know attendance is mandatory but are lectures also recorded?

I never thought to ask this, I know attendance is mandatory but are lectures also recorded?

Lectures are NOT recorded (at least this year as an M1 in MN). Plan to attend class every day. That is one negative aspect about the school that I struggled with when making a decision last year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Lectures are NOT recorded (at least this year as an M1 in MN). Plan to attend class every day. That is one negative aspect about the school that I struggled with when making a decision last year.
So, what kind of positive aspects overcame that negative? (Asking for a friend who is not a morning person)

So, what kind of positive aspects overcame that negative? (Asking for a friend who is not a morning person)
Selectives are heaven-sent. Honestly one of the best ideas in medical education. The resources available to students here are endless. The faculty are so respectful and there really is a spirit of camaraderie between students. The general feeling here is that you'll be able to specialize in whatever you want and get ample support from faculty and plenty of resources. I know hindsight is 20/20 but there are few places where I see myself being happier.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Required attendance doesn't bother me at all. I just like the option to glisten to lectures while studying. I Wil just record them myself.

Any chance anybody heard about finaid this week?

we may start seeing movement now that people can make informed decisions as to which medical school they will attend based upon the aid they get. good luck to you all!

Don’t mean to cause panic but I just got my aid email!

Pfff you're late to the party I already posted. Dibs on first!
Curse you and your quick fingers. I’ve assembled an army that will ensure you will never beat me again

Attachments

• BDCF3C93-686A-4448-98C9-74296C686145.jpeg
    BDCF3C93-686A-4448-98C9-74296C686145.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 60
Honestly, I am over the moon with my aid it was very generous. I am sorry youre disappointed. The last paragraph does say to reach out if you are unhappy, you totally should Mayo is too great to not choose because they (potentially) made a mistake.

Is anyone else really disappointed by their financial aid? :(
I was really surprised that my need-based aid was so low given my FAFSA EFC was literally $0. How can their average student indebtedness be so low?
I also thought their offer was also crazy, crazy good. Maybe worth a call to chat with a financial aid person about your situation, since they do mention that as an option like @MarineMDHopeful said.

Is anyone else really disappointed by their financial aid? :(
I was really surprised that my need-based aid was so low given my FAFSA EFC was literally $0. How can their average student indebtedness be so low?
Same here. My EFC was zero as well. Last year’s thread made it sound like that usually qualified for full tuition. I’m guessing this year they flattened out the aid to include more students. The good thing is that’s it’s guarenteed for four years, unlike what I’ve seen in past years.

So nervous guys! They wouldnt rescind my acceptance for asking for more aid, right?? Uggh

No! They understand that we all have budgets and sometimes we have better offers at less desirable schools. Thats why they put that paragraph in there...you are FINE.

If you received financial aid, please share the # and/or %. Correlated EFC would also be helpful, as people provided in last year’s thread.

Was need based given out today? Or just merit?

Was need based given out today? Or just merit?

I don’t think there’s a distinction between the two at mayo. The email basically says, “based on your FAFSA, you’ve been awarded the following merit-based scholarship “ ... I’m a little confused

I don’t think there’s a distinction between the two at mayo. The email basically says, “based on your FAFSA, you’ve been awarded the following merit-based scholarship “ ... I’m a little confused
Mine said they considered my FAFSA "and/or" qualifications and then calls my award merit-based aid. Could be some people get a mix so they just have a generic email.

Mine said they considered my FAFSA "and/or" qualifications and then calls my award merit-based aid. Could be some people get a mix so they just have a generic email.

Yeah mine says academic qualifications and FAFSA but says need based.

I am grateful for their offer, which is very very generous, but quite honestly don't see how the average graduate indebtedness can be what is advertised.

I am grateful for their offer, which is very very generous, but quite honestly don't see how the average graduate indebtedness can be what is advertised.

n=1 but I am on track to meet or be under their average indebtedness. Reach out, worst they can say is no.