2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did anyone else catch this from US news? mayo is ranked as a top 10 med school although the official rankings come out in a week

https://www.usnews.com/education/be...aduate-schools-preview-top-10-medical-schools

10 spots at least in improvement, holy ****

Members don't see this ad.

It's about time, it isn't a secret that most PD's see Mayo as Top10 if not Top5 USNews finally catching up.

Reactions: 1 users
This year's methodology was revised to include the schools' memes/matriculant ratio on SDN

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
US News to Mayo: "You've been highly ranked"

Reactions: 18 users
did anyone else catch this from US news? mayo is ranked as a top 10 med school although the official rankings come out in a week

https://www.usnews.com/education/be...aduate-schools-preview-top-10-medical-schools
I actually predicted this would happen (boasts). My theory was that due to the addition of FL and ARZ into the school of medicine, they’d be reporting a larger amount of research aid than they previously did allowing them to jump up a good deal. Harvard reports research funds from all their hospitals and that’s how they have an over 800 million NIH aid report.

Note: I could be way off but I theorized this would happen a couple months ago. A bigger shock to me was Columbia dropping out of the top 10.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually predicted this would happen (boasts). My theory was that due to the addition of FL and ARZ into the school of medicine, they’d be reporting a larger amount of research aid than they previously did allowing them to jump up a good deal. Harvard reports research funds from all their hospitals and that’s how they have an over 800 million NIH aid report.

Note: I could be way off but I theorized this would happen a couple months ago. A bigger shock to me was Columbia dropping out of the top 10.

I'm calling Mayo is 7-8.

I'm calling Mayo is 7-8.
Hmmmmm i’d Say 8-9. Mayo is great but they’re competing with some serious players that have been in the top 10 for ages.

Wash U, Duke, Harvard, Stanford, JHU, UPenn, UCSF

Ucla, NYU, Mayo are the wild cards.

As someone on the WL, kinda hope the high ranking doesn’t **** me over

I think Mayo will beat NYU, Stanford, and maybe UCLA.
Hmmmmm i’d Say 8-9. Mayo is great but they’re competing with some serious players that have been in the top 10 for ages.

Wash U, Duke, Harvard, Stanford, JHU, UPenn, UCSF

Ucla, NYU, Mayo are the wild cards.

As someone on the WL, kinda hope the high ranking doesn’t **** me over

Members don't see this ad :)
Im happy for you guys! Glad you're pleased with your financial aid awards. :) Im still disappointed; maybe the sdn hype about Mayo set my expectations too high. :confused: I feel especially sad because Im very interested in primary care and all my family and my SO live far away and I wanted to visit them regularly in med school. These dreams all get more difficult with a high debt burden.
I am still grateful to be accepted of course but just a bit disappointed too. If any other accepted students want to commiserate/support each other, feel free to DM!

Is your parent’s income abnormally high this year? I’m pretty sure it’s based on your most recent data.

I dont think so. My parents both work but there are no doctors, lawyers, engineers or other high-payed professionals in my family. And we have multiple kids in college and me entering medical school so I think we are quite needy! Ahhh.
I guess, relatively, others are more needy. I have gotten multiple DMs from others who feel similarly. I guess that many of us are too poor to afford med school but just shy of getting more financial aid from medical schools. I was just optimistic that Mayo might be exceptionally different, I guess.

I mean, define wealth tho. Like I come from a lower-middle class background so 50-60k/yr

I'm just curious if Mayo is only giving the need-based to the really needy people or if it's going out to anyone making 90k and less etc.

Hi everyone, new to SDN here - I was accepted to Mayo in Feb and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how they are going about finding housing in Rochester? I forgot to ask on my interview day what the popular housing options for students here were. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, new to SDN here - I was accepted to Mayo in Feb and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how they are going about finding housing in Rochester? I forgot to ask on my interview weekend what the popular housing options for students here were. Thanks!
Hey! I think we're all planning to browse around during Second Look weekend. Feel free to join us! I'm sure many will want roommates/housemates :)

I mean, define wealth tho. Like I come from a lower-middle class background so 50-60k/yr

I'm just curious if Mayo is only giving the need-based to the really needy people or if it's going out to anyone making 90k and less etc.

It doesn't just include family income tho it also factors in assets

If Fl and AZ are included in research aid doesn’t that mean for US news rankings, Mayo will be ranked as “Mayo” across all campuses rather than “Mayo (MN)”

I have a question about the dress code! Is Mayo business professional or business casual? For example, do dresses have to be made from the same fabric as the blazer? Are 3/4 sleeve blazers acceptable, etc?

What up everyone. Just here to Paul Revere it up a little bit. Mayo is rank #6, tied with the University of Pennsylvania.

Last edited:
Damn I was with @MarineMDHopeful and thought mayo would beat Stanford. I just hope there’s still decent WL movement here I’ve sent a lot of love their way hopefully they feel the same come April-may

NYU being above Stanford, UCSF, and Penn seems a bit ridiculous...
The important point to note is RDAS - which is the residency directors assessment survey. Tells you more about how each school is really viewed in the field

The important point to note is RDAS - which is the residency directors assessment survey. Tells you more about how each school is really viewed in the field
Mayo's RDAS is 4.1 (same as Pitt, Baylor, Chicago, Emory), on the lower end for top 20 research schools.

Mayo's RDAS is 4.1 (same as Pitt, Baylor, Chicago, Emory), on the lower end for top 20 research schools.
Those are all impressive schools nonetheless. I also have to mention that the weight of the survey was reduced this year from 0.2 to 0.15 which likely contributed among others to Mayo's rise

Oh yeah I totally agree. Wish they would publish those publicly instead
Some people also just look through the data and combine the RDAS + peer rankings which gives a good assessment also... tbh, top tier is a very wide field.
Screenshot_20180319-220220.jpg

Has anyone on the 2+2 waitlist also been offered a spot on the regular waitlist? Only got the email from 2+2, but kind of desperately hoping it applies to Rochester as well. Probably not though, yeah?

Has anyone on the 2+2 waitlist also been offered a spot on the regular waitlist? Only got the email from 2+2, but kind of desperately hoping it applies to Rochester as well. Probably not though, yeah?
Not sure how the apps worked this year, but if the 2+2 was listed as a separate program altogether and if you interviewed specifically for that program, you will not be considered as a candidate for the regular program.

During my app year there wasn't a specific 2+2 program application, and the program was just listed as an "opt-in" if we decided we wanted to do it during med school (for example, if I decided next year I wanted to do the 2 years in Florida, I could)

At our interviews, we were informed that our 2+2 interviews were also interviews for the regular program. However, nobody from the 2+2 interviews has reported any feedback from any other program. Just a bit unclear on how things actually played this year.

At our interviews, we were informed that our 2+2 interviews were also interviews for the regular program. However, nobody from the 2+2 interviews has reported any feedback from any other program. Just a bit unclear on how things actually played this year.
Ohhhh I gotcha! Maybe its still an opt in then and they just had a separate interview to see how much interest they actually had? Just speculating here of course though, but maybe it isn't a binding contract if you signed up for the 2+2. So if you're accepted into the 2+2 you're accepted into the regular program as well by default. Just my thoughts, I have no idea of the actual facts though unfortunately, really sorry!

Ohhhh I gotcha! Maybe its still an opt in then and they just had a separate interview to see how much interest they actually had? Just speculating here of course though, but maybe it isn't a binding contract if you signed up for the 2+2. So if you're accepted into the 2+2 you're accepted into the regular program as well by default. Just my thoughts, I have no idea of the actual facts though unfortunately, really sorry!

No worries! Thanks for your thoughts!

^^^ I applied for all programs, with 2+2 being the "first choice." I called MN admissions and they said that if you are waitlisted at 2+2 you are still in consideration (I assume that means waitlisted) for the other programs as well.

^^^ I applied for all programs, with 2+2 being the "first choice." I called MN admissions and they said that if you are waitlisted at 2+2 you are still in consideration (I assume that means waitlisted) for the other programs as well.

Aaaaaaaah!!!
You are now my favorite anonymous person on the internet.
You're like an anonymous superhero.
Anony-Mighty Mouse.

Do you think puns revoke my consideration?

(Seriously though, you just made my month. Thanks!)

Though we should note that there is a MN/FL wait-list and an AZ/FL wait-list. If we're not explicitly on both, we're likely only being considered for the stated campuses.

Credit to @DubbiDoctor for finding and sharing on the PreMed forum the Step 1s reported in the latest USNWR rankings:
upload_2018-3-26_7-13-56.png

If anyone gets a highly positioned email on waitlist this year, can you please pm me so I can know if they’re going out this year or not

If anyone gets a highly positioned email on waitlist this year, can you please pm me so I can know if they’re going out this year or not

Mayo's waitlist isn't ranked. As I understand it, the waitlist is used to maintain class composition. We'll get a call if a student similar to us drops out.

Mayo's waitlist isn't ranked. As I understand it, the waitlist is used to maintain class composition. We'll get a call if a student similar to us drops out.

I've heard the same as well! I was looking on last year's thread, though, and I saw some applicants said that they received an email in mid April asking whether they were still interested in attending Mayo Clinic.

If anyone that’s aggressively mediocre is willing to withdraw, I’ll be very appreciative

Reactions: 6 users
If anyone that’s aggressively mediocre is willing to withdraw, I’ll be very appreciative

Lmao as the lowest MCAT score accepted (I'm assuming) I will decline your request. I am gonna be the world's okayest Mayo student.

Reactions: 2 users
Lmao as the lowest MCAT score accepted (I'm assuming) I will decline your request. I am gonna be the world's okayest Mayo student.
Lol then I guess I’ll just have to be the okayest student elsewhere