2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received the secondary a few weeks ago. Still working on it and just got my final LOR. I'm planning to upload a CV but does anyone know if they expect us to upload and research papers, etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any opportunities for medical students to teach or mentor the undeserved? I can't find anything online. The service opportunities they show are very broad and nonspecific

Yes, a bunch. I am involved with Pre-Med Insight which is a med student run mentorship program

Is anyone else noticing it's taking a while for Mayo to "receive" the letters of recommendation once forwarded from AMCAS? I submitted my secondary and letters on Monday but the Mayo portal still says they haven't received them yet.

Is anyone else noticing it's taking a while for Mayo to "receive" the letters of recommendation once forwarded from AMCAS? I submitted my secondary and letters on Monday but the Mayo portal still says they haven't received them yet.
I updated my AMCAS application regarding LOR Wednesday and today I saw they have updated my portal

Reactions: 1 user
Mine took quite a few days to go through.

Does this school screen applicants? I was complete July 9th, but still haven't received a secondary...

I was just told in the AZ thread (posted on wrong thread lol) that they send secondaries to everyone with MCAT above 75th percentile. Not sure how accurate that is though.
I just took my MCAT! My score will only be available in one month :cryi:

The 500 word diversity essay is killing me. I have ~325 but there is only so much I can talk about being a veteran. Besides that I am a straight white male. How close do you think I need to come to the 500 words to be looked at for an II?

Members don't see this ad :)
The 500 word diversity essay is killing me. I have ~325 but there is only so much I can talk about being a veteran. Besides that I am a straight white male. How close do you think I need to come to the 500 words to be looked at for an II?

I think 325 is fine. There is no need to force more words if they won't be as effective.

I think 325 is fine. There is no need to force more words if they won't be as effective.

!!!!! EVERYONE PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS. Do not force an essay to be longer. In fact, a shorter more focused essay will be far more powerful than one that is 500 words that is filled with fluff. Number one rule: if a sentence doesn't have a purpose, remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users

For anyone wondering.. After submitting my request for AMCAS to send the letters to Mayo on 7/31 they added them and made my account ready to review on 8/2 at 2am. ONLY I NEVER got the confirmation email. If I look under the communication tab it says they emailed me but I never received it. So my advice is for everyone to continuously check that tab if they feel they should've heard something by then. I've received all other emails from Mayo except that final confirmation one.

Reactions: 3 users
For anyone wondering.. After submitting my request for AMCAS to send the letters to Mayo on 7/31 they added them and made my account ready to review on 8/2 at 2am. ONLY I NEVER got the confirmation email. If I look under the communication tab it says they emailed me but I never received it. So my advice is for everyone to continuously check that tab if they feel they should've heard something by then. I've received all other emails from Mayo except that final confirmation one.

I never got that confirmation email, either, and I have confirmed that they have my letters now. Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Just submitted my secondary. Ready for review.

Any speculation on the timeline for this school this year?

wait did they give any interviews yet

Not that I've seen or heard of. I think their website said II started in August. Actual interviews start in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@revrick is right. The website says, "Interview invitations are emailed August through November. Interviews are conducted from early September through mid-December. Offers of acceptance (appointments) will be made from the group of applicants selected for interviews. Initial offers of acceptance will typically be made through the end of January."

A poster on another thread indicated they have received a rejection from Mayo MN. It has begun...

Reactions: 1 users
A poster on another thread indicated they have received a rejection from Mayo MN. It has begun...

Can you link the thread? Or confirm if that person received a secondary or not? They may have just not passed the initial screen

Just got my "Thank you for your donation" email.

Good luck guys!

Edit: This was Pre-secondary. Primary verified at the end of June. I figured not getting a secondary was a rejection, but since I actually got a formal email today, I just thought you guys would want to know that decisions are being made/announced.
Rejected pre-secondary? I thought that wasn't a thing this year and that everyone got a secondary.

Just got my "Thank you for your donation" email.

Good luck guys!

Edit: This was Pre-secondary. Primary verified at the end of June. I figured not getting a secondary was a rejection, but since I actually got a formal email today, I just thought you guys would want to know that decisions are being made/announced.

I'm sorry you didn't get in. Thank you for sharing anyway.. I wish you the best on your application cycle this year and on your future ventures!

Rejected pre-secondary this morning - Mayo was a stretch for me, but I decided to shoot my shot.

I wish everyone all the best this cycle!

II by email just now! OOS, LizzyM 78

Instructed to pick a date on the portal, but there are no dates yet to pick from

Reactions: 15 users
II today too! OOS, LizzyM ~81, complete Jul 18th; best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone else never receive a complete email? My portal says complete but never received any confirmation email