2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well damn, I was complete 8/3 and didn't get the email you guys got....hope a rejection isn't imminent.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted secondary and marked complete 7/15 but have heard nothing since...don't know what to make of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted secondary and marked complete 7/15 but have heard nothing since...don't know what to make of it.
Most likely you haven't been reviewed yet. Mayo sends out rejections so you're still in the game.

Reactions: 1 users
so I was complete on the first day and haven't heard anything yet - anybody else?

Hmm so they don't review apps in the order they receive them?
Most medical school admissions committees stratify and organize their applications in a specific way—and we have no way of knowing how it's done. I would assume that because of the somewhat unique nature of Mayo, they also stratify, and don't simply review the applications in the order in which they were received.

Hmm so they don't review apps in the order they receive them?
Maybe, maybe not. No one truly knows. But the consensus on the review process in general seems to be that high stat, URM, or otherwise unique apps get priority. Of course, this may or may not apply to Mayo. Anyways the main point is that no one knows and since Mayo does rolling rejections, assume you still have a shot until you get rejected.

Eeek. I was complete 8/2 and nothing. Now I'm terrified of checking my email out of fear of rejection. I know my science GPA isn't great but I love Mayo so much. **sigh**

Was also put on hold and completed 8/1, anyone have any ideas how many applicants they generally have on hold?

Y'all are making me paranoid. It looks like they are going through high stats applicants first given the people I've seen who are getting interviews and holds. I don't think they've even taken a look at my application.

(I don't know whether to cheer for my 3.43 GPA or just get depressed that I'll get a rejection that much later in the game).

Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all are making me paranoid. It looks like they are going through high stats applicants first given the people I've seen who are getting interviews and holds. I don't think they've even taken a look at my application.

DBC03, I agree with you. I just went through the thread and it seems everyone had a LM>75 that's seen notice I'm at 69-70.. So that could be why. I also did 2 + 2 track .. which I think you did as well!

(I don't know whether to cheer for my 3.43 GPA or just get depressed that I'll get a rejection that much later in the game).

It's not just high stat. From looking through the thread and those that have heard back..it looks ultra high stats/ ethnicity/ some other secret Mayo juice. Lol. There was that dude complete on 8/13 that got an II

complete 7/14 and silence

edit: LizzyM 75 so maybe it's correct that lower lizzym has not been looked at yet?

Reactions: 3 users
It's not just high stat. From looking through the thread and those that have heard back..it looks ultra high stats/ ethnicity/ some other secret Mayo juice. Lol. There was that dude complete on 8/13 that got an II

Agreed - there's definitely a mix of stats and other things. Good luck to you in this process - looks like you're killing it. Hoping you get taken off hold!

Haha no love for my veteran status I guess.

complete 7/14 and silence

edit: LizzyM 75 so maybe it's correct that lower lizzym has not been looked at yet?
Maybe. I'm at a LizzyM of ~80, but haven't heard anything yet.

If there's one school I'm legitimately neurotic about, it's Mayo. They are my number one choice by far, and I am eagerly waiting for something—though I'll accept silence for now:oops:

edit: this movement is killing me lol. I feel like we're live tweeting right now.

Primary verified 8/21, received pre-screen rejection 8/22. LizzyM 76 (3.90/520). :( No Mayo love for me.

Edit: Might have been processed faster b/c of disadvantaged status.

Edit Edit: On the other hand, wishing all the good luck in the world to everyone else!!! :)

Last edited:
Received an E-mail today saying I have been placed on hold. LizzyM ~76

EDIT: Lol JK, wrong Mayo thread. Still have my fingers crossed for this one.

Last edited:
Rejected, Lizzy M 77 :( I'm okay with it as long as it's not indication of a red flag on my app... Good luck to the rest of you though!

Rejected, Lizzy M 77 :( I'm okay with it as long as it's not indication of a red flag on my app... Good luck to the rest of you though!

I'm sorry to hear that! Do you mind me asking when you were complete?

damn, every email I get now makes my heart skip :eek::eek:

Complete 7/19 annnnnnnnnd..... dead silence.

Am I the only one who is feeling like there is no hope?

Complete 7/19 annnnnnnnnd..... dead silence.

Am I the only one who is feeling like there is no hope?
Don't worry our fate will be determined tomorrow ;). Muhaha complete 7/17

Don't worry our fate will be determined tomorrow ;). Muhaha complete 7/17

Don't you dare speak with that ominous tone, Beachboy.

Positive vibes ONLY.

What makes this worse is that I haven't heard back from ANY of my 16 schools.

Do you mind sharing your stats? I was rejected pre-secondary today with 3.58 and 521. Thank you

That is really really really weird. I have like the crappiest stats but I still got the secondary.
If I were you I would email to ask the admissions.
I know it sounds like it will make you come off as entitled or something, but this is a chance to shoot for Mayo.
I emailed Mayo AZ when I did not receive a secondary because everyone here was posting that the cutoff was with simple MCAT (75 percentile).
I took the risk and they were nice enough to let me know that you have to add the AZ campus to your primary.
Maybe there was some mistake in your case as well and it might be fixed with a simple email, who knows?
It really seems unlikely they will screen a 3.58/521 (like who does this? It's only late August).

Last edited:
Do you mind sharing your stats? I was rejected pre-secondary today with 3.58 and 521. Thank you

Honestly I agree with @Iris3 .. Other than one other person from today, no one else has shared that they were rejected prior to the secondary with an MCAT above a 508.. The only thing I could see is that they're more heavily screening secondary requests now that we're about 6 weeks into the cycle.. If Mayo's not a top school for you then I guess live and let live. But if you're concerned I would email Mayo.. They're a respectable healthcare system and I'm sure they will be considerate in their answer

Thanks a lot for the advice, I feel very scared that there's a red flag in my app that I'm not aware of.

If it's the case that they're just screening more holistically now and actually really felt that I wasn't a good fit, then that would be a shame, cuz I love Mayo, but I would be ok with it and grateful that they let me know now before paying the secondary.

I'm hoping that it's just a mistake, so I emailed them and just asked what feedback they might have and what my areas for improvement are. Thanks again

Agreed - there's definitely a mix of stats and other things. Good luck to you in this process - looks like you're killing it. Hoping you get taken off hold!

you too. Seen you on the threads Im on