2017-2018 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the post interview acceptance rate? I'm assuming it's decently high because they interview around 360 OOS applicants and their matriculant OOS is around 189? so I'm assuming they accept at least 250/360 of the OOS applicants?

Where did you get these stats from?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that attended the interview, any chance we could get some information on how the tours are? Based on previous comments and the MSAR, it appears they have been two 1:1 interviews, one with a med student and another with a MD or PhD? How was interview day in general? Would appreciate any help and insight!

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted to the central campus today!! So excited!!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here. I just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts are on submitting a secondary this late in the cycle. Is it too late? Stats: 3.8 gpa, 505 MCAT, Traditional applicant, Non-URM, Canadian.

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here. I just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts are on submitting a secondary this late in the cycle. Is it too late? Stats: 3.8 gpa, 505 MCAT, Traditional applicant, Non-URM, Canadian.

This late in the game, I think your MCAT is going to be too low, and being Canadian unfortunately is not going to help. You might be okay to try for DO schools?

Obviously it's hard to have a handle on the scope of your application, but the odds are stacked against you with a below average MCAT and a late secondary. If it were me I'd sit this one out, bump up that MCAT, and apply in July of next year if you don't receive an acceptance this cycle.

That said, there is no doubt people in your situation get into medical school. If the rest of your application is spectacular, maybe it's worth a shot. If not, I would personally hold off. (I am a reapplicant who previously had a below average MCAT, submitted later in the cycle, had a strong app otherwise, and was not accepted.)

Interviewing at central this week made me love the campus that much more :bigtears::bigtears::bigtears: They have a fast turn around though. Should hear back next week :xf:

The social was very casual and informative. It is run by students and it is essentially a chance for you to get to pick the brains of current students. It is not evaluated in any way. It is honestly a time where you should be evaluating the school.

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

The pre-interview social is very casual. I wore a polo shirt and pants and the current students were in T-shirts and other casual gear. You are definitely not evaluated at the social. It's just a chance to ask questions and get a feel of the school. Would highly recommend.
Is it worth it to go? I RSVP'ed on the phone, but not sure if I want to go anymore since it's so late in the evening. I don't want to be tired on interview day and have my mentality thrown off. But then again I think it would be nice to go and meet current students. How many other interviewees were at your socials?

Is it worth it to go? I RSVP'ed on the phone, but not sure if I want to go anymore since it's so late in the evening. I don't want to be tired on interview day and have my mentality thrown off. But then again I think it would be nice to go and meet current students. How many other interviewees were at your socials?

I really enjoyed my experience at the social. There were a lot of students there, even a few M3s and M4s, who you won't necessarily see a lot during the actual interview day so it was nice to see how their experiences were in the clinical years. I also thought it was nice to meet some of the other applicants as well. It didn't end too late (they make sure to end it on time) and it was very low-stress, so worth it in my opinion. But of course, I see the merits to decompressing by yourself the night before...just depends on what you want to do!

Members don't see this ad :)
looking at the MSAR, seems like the post acceptance interview rate is really high. wonder if they're just looking for fit when making a final decision.

IS Applicant to main campus only. Received the small pool email on 9/16, but haven't heard anything since then. Does anyone know how roughly many interviews they grant at the main campus per week?

Anybody from mid August heard anything? It took me a little over 2 weeks to get them their secondary. Didnt know if this was a major factor or not.

Anyone remember about how many weeks after the interview you would get your decision? I remember they said something about it after my interview but can't remember the # of weeks

Can any good soul who has interviewed here share their interview experience with me? I would really really appreciate it! Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear back.

Can any good soul who has interviewed here share their interview experience with me? I would really really appreciate it! Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear back.

I was so pleasantly surprised by the day! Everyone was SO friendly (and that's coming from someone from the midwest!), and there was no pretentious "we're so great" vibe that you get from some schools. My interviewers were both really nice, one student and one physician about ~30 minutes each, and asked questions that didn't make me feel like I was put on the spot- they just want to know your passions. Also the late start was fab/ the lunch was A+. Overall the day was really fun and not at all stressful, and I appreciated that they managed to give us a lot of good information, a tour, and a chance to interact with students at lunch and at the social the night before, without making the actual interview day aggressively long and intense.

I was so pleasantly surprised by the day! Everyone was SO friendly (and that's coming from someone from the midwest!), and there was no pretentious "we're so great" vibe that you get from some schools. My interviewers were both really nice, one student and one physician about ~30 minutes each, and asked questions that didn't make me feel like I was put on the spot- they just want to know your passions. Also the late start was fab/ the lunch was A+. Overall the day was really fun and not at all stressful, and I appreciated that they managed to give us a lot of good information, a tour, and a chance to interact with students at lunch and at the social the night before, without making the actual interview day aggressively long and intense.
Thank you so much for the insight! I've heard nothing but great things about the school. Hopefully the $500 flight will be worth it!

For those who've sent updates, was it before or after an interview? I would like to update about a new job I started last month. Not sure the best way to do so. I have not interviewed.

anyone who interviewed 9/28 or 9/29 know if we should hear back monday or tuesday this week on a decision?

Got my II last week, any tips or advice for interview prep?

Reactions: 1 users
anyone who interviewed 9/28 or 9/29 know if we should hear back monday or tuesday this week on a decision?

I could be wrong but didn't these go out around Oct. 16? There were a couple of acceptances posted here.

Anyone lacking any contact with this school. Submitted my secondary in early July and nothing. No small pool email or anything

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone lacking any contact with this school. Submitted my secondary in early July and nothing. No small pool email or anything
I was complete early July and only just got the small pool email last week. I wouldn’t worry too much about it (I say as I refresh my email 24/7 waiting to hear back from all the other schools)

Reactions: 1 users
What is this "small pool email" thing?.....sorry if someone has already explained it and I missed it.
I think it is this . . .

Thank you for your continued interest in MCW Medical School!

The Admissions Committee has completed its initial review of your application, and your application has moved forward in the process to the group of applicants who will potentially be invited to interview for admission. That group is still significantly larger than our interview schedule can accommodate. Candidates are selected from this group throughout the cycle to receive an interview invitation on the basis of strength of credentials and completion date of application.

If you are selected for an interview invitation, you will receive communication via email. Additional review of your application or updates you provide will occur only if you are interviewed.

Thank you for your interest, and please contact the Admissions Office with any questions.

Yep literally 2-3 hours before the invite

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know if they will flat out reject you pre-II or do they string you along in silence until the end?

I’ve heard they do rejections. I feel like these are the possibilities:

Small pool email and interview
Small pool email and nothing till the end and rejection
Flat out rejection without the small pool.

Who knows though?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think it is this . . .

Thank you for your continued interest in MCW Medical School!

The Admissions Committee has completed its initial review of your application, and your application has moved forward in the process to the group of applicants who will potentially be invited to interview for admission. That group is still significantly larger than our interview schedule can accommodate. Candidates are selected from this group throughout the cycle to receive an interview invitation on the basis of strength of credentials and completion date of application.

If you are selected for an interview invitation, you will receive communication via email. Additional review of your application or updates you provide will occur only if you are interviewed.

Thank you for your interest, and please contact the Admissions Office with any questions.
Awesome that helps! Thanks!

straight up rejected post-interview from central

For those who interviewed; did the day end at 5? Or earlier? I booked my flight kinda early (6:30) and now I'm freaking out that I won't be able to make it.

For those who interviewed; did the day end at 5? Or earlier? I booked my flight kinda early (6:30) and now I'm freaking out that I won't be able to make it.
Our day ended at 4:30 and I think that's what they try to aim for.

Sorry to bother you, but at about what time of the day did they contact you? Today's the first day acceptances can roll out for my interview date so I'm trying to judge when to start stressing. Thanks!

It was later in the day (I want to say around 3 CST?). Fingers crossed for you!

Reactions: 2 users
any updates from my fellow small pool people?

Was placed on the waitlist... not that surprised since the interview day could have gone better. Still upsetting though because MCW is in my top 3. Hopefully I'll have enough updates to make them change their mind.

Was placed on the waitlist... not that surprised since the interview day could have gone better. Still upsetting though because MCW is in my top 3. Hopefully I'll have enough updates to make them change their mind.
I'm sorry to hear that :( can I ask when you interviewed?

Why do you think your interview could have gone better? PM me if you prefer to answer this privately!

For those of you who were invited to interview here within the last two weeks, when were you complete and when did you submit your secondary to MCW? Thanks!

any updates from my fellow small pool people?

Complete August 28 and Small pooled on September 29, which was weird because I was small pooled relatively quickly compared to people who were complete in July and still haven't heard back.

No news since being small pooled but I'm assuming my app wasn't exceptional enough to receive an immediate interview like some of the other people in here.