2017-2018 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the rejection, so long folks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they went up for primary/int med though right? Their 72 research is closer to their 80 tank in the past.

What do you mean 80 in the past?
In the past MCW seemed to consistently fall within the 50s on the rankings. Dunno what happened this year..

Where are you all getting that they dropped? I thought their rank was not even published before?
Their ranking for last year wasnt published. However, they were usually in the 50s before. I wonder why is that!!!??

Where are you all getting that they dropped? I thought their rank was not even published before?

Last year it wasn't published, but if you look at older SDN threads from years prior, it seemed to consistently rank in the 50s (ie 54 in 2014/2015)

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't worry about the ranking. They have a Medical Student Summer Research Program here that a large number of students participate in. If you want to do research you can find it here.

Is the rank really that serious to you guys? I loved this school and am looking forward to attending.
Yup
I wouldn't worry about the ranking. They have a Medical Student Summer Research Program here that a large number of students participate in. If you want to do research you can find it here.

Is admin talking about the ranking? Something must have occurred to slip 20 pts

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 2 users

Residency Program Director rankings seem to rank MCW better like how it has historically been in the past years phew

Last edited:
Their ranking for last year wasnt published. However, they were usually in the 50s before. I wonder why is that!!!??

I think at some point they were like around 80 for primary care or research but I could be confusing them with someone else.

Y'all need to chill about rankings. How factors are weighted are completely arbitrary:

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/medical-schools-methodology

I'd argue that how residency directors view schools are one of the most important factors but here it's only 0.15 which is weighed equally to how some dean at another medical school views mcw

Where do you see this? Flipping a bit with th
I think at some point they were like around 80 for primary care or research but I could be confusing them with someone else.
That must have been a really long time ago. They have been in the 50’s in recent years. A pretty sweet spot.

Where do you see this? Flipping a bit with th

That must have been a really long time ago. They have been in the 50’s in recent years. A pretty sweet spot.
MCW is still viewed favorably by PDs. Similar to Einstein, Jefferson, Wake, and UMiami

U Maryland 3.3
UC Davis 3.3
Einstein 3.3
U Miami 3.3
Wake Forest 3.3
GW 3.3
Vermont 3.3
MCW 3.3

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For those accepted, what was in the packet that MCW sent you after acceptance? I remember them mentioning something like 2 weeks

Yup

Is admin talking about the ranking? Something must have occurred to slip 20 pts
Nope but then again no one is really asking because none of us really thinks that it matters that much.

any current medical students care to share their experience of second look and what to expect?

FYI to GB/Central Waitlist people: They called their 'top waitlist candidates' before sending out that email today. My guess is that if you got the call, you've got a pretty good chance of getting in off the waitlist in the next week or so as the email said.

Did anybody else on the GB/Central waitlist receive a phonecall?

Just got a phone call from Alexis at admissions. Was accepted into the GB campus! Was on the waitlist since october. Currently waiting for an email confirmation to prove I didnt imagine this!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got a phone call from Alexis at admissions. Was accepted into the GB campus! Was on the waitlist since october. Currently waiting for an email confirmation to prove I didnt imagine this!
Congratulations!

MCW is still viewed favorably by PDs. Similar to Einstein, Jefferson, Wake, and UMiami

Here from reddit:

U Maryland 3.3
UC Davis 3.3
Einstein 3.3
U Miami 3.3
Wake Forest 3.3
GW 3.3
Vermont 3.3
MCW 3.3

Super helpful! Thanks!

Any waitlist movement for the Milwaukee campus?

Any waitlist movement for the Milwaukee campus?
Doubt there’s gonna be movement until after Traffic Day with Milwaukee. Green Bay/Central is only moving because they have small 25 student classes so they’re pretty aware of where they stand with available spots.

Current MCW M1 here, best advice:
1. Join the facebook page, there's some information there and there will be a ton more soon. (if you have questions that's your new go to instead of SDN, current students usually don't check here)
2. Estimate as best you can for forms (if you're not going to be working, which most people don't, just put $0 for income) you can always update the financial aid office when you have more information but you can miss essential deadlines if you wait to submit your paperwork until you have all the facts.
Do you know if there is a separate page for the GB campus? Or is it the same page?

When does financial aid packages come out for students attending MCW Milwaukee?

I am trying to put together a fb page specifically for accepted green bay student! If anyone wants me to add them please send me a message!!

Do you know if there is a separate page for the GB campus? Or is it the same page?
It's combined with the milwaukee page but I am trying to put one together for Green Bay specifically. Message me!

Does anyone know what scholarship offers typically look like?

Anyone else feeling very frustrated that the Facebook page for the class of 2022 has essentially turned into a giant Craigslist ad? I have used these pages at other schools to get to know people and ask relevant questions. None have had older students try and sell items or sublease their apartments.

Anyone else feeling very frustrated that the Facebook page for the class of 2022 has essentially turned into a giant Craigslist ad? I have used these pages at other schools to get to know people and ask relevant questions. None have had older students try and sell items or sublease their apartments.

Yeah, out of all the schools I'm part of on Facebook, MCW is definitely not great as far as advertisements go. However, the absolute worst is Tulane.

Another page was recently created for buying and selling, but they are usually trying to suggest places for incoming M1s to live. You can use it for asking questions. No one seems to have had any questions though as of lately.

i know some second looks do mixers/happy hour, does MCW have any unofficial thing going on?

i know some second looks do mixers/happy hour, does MCW have any unofficial thing going on?

Not sure but I talked to a few people going and we are planning on going out for some drinks Thursday night, after the social. Send me a PM if your interested.

Reactions: 3 users
anyone's finan aid package come through yet on the MCW connect portal?

I haven't received my financial aid package either but I was offered a scholarship recently.

Last edited: