2017-2018 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how to formally withdraw all acceptances/WLs? I have decided on MCW, but I know we can only hold one acceptance after April 30th? Can someone please explain this whole thing to me haha

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know how to formally withdraw all acceptances/WLs? I have decided on MCW, but I know we can only hold one acceptance after April 30th? Can someone please explain this whole thing to me haha
Usually you just email all of the programs. Email can just say 'withdraw my application, this is my name and aamc ic' or you can give reasons why, if you care to share. Schools with portals will update it on there. Put withdrawal in the email subject to make sure the program opens it sooner rather than later, but if they ignore your email until May 1st, I dont think you would get in big trouble :)

Usually you just email all of the programs. Email can just say 'withdraw my application, this is my name and aamc ic' or you can give reasons why, if you care to share. Schools with portals will update it on there. Put withdrawal in the email subject to make sure the program opens it sooner rather than later, but if they ignore your email until May 1st, I dont think you would get in big trouble :)

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you guys get access to the "names and faces book" (basically a pdf with your whole class and information about each person), I would download it to your phone and keep it handy. You'll meet tons of classmates during orientation and remembering all the names can be difficult!

Reactions: 6 users
Happy 125th anniversary of Medical College of Wisconsin!

"The official founding of our institution occurred on May 20, 1893, with the establishment of the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons. The following year, the Milwaukee Medical College opened. In 1913, Marquette University acquired both of those entities and merged them into the Marquette University School of Medicine. After 64 years of partnership with and generous stewardship from Marquette University, we became a private freestanding medical school in 1967, and were renamed the Medical College of Wisconsin in 1970. Thus, we celebrate May as our Founders’ Month."

Reactions: 3 users
I know this question is thrown around a lot, but is everyone else also still waiting on their Financial aid package? Has anyone received theirs?

Reactions: 1 user
I know this question is thrown around a lot, but is everyone else also still waiting on their Financial aid package? Has anyone received theirs?

Current students just got them 3 days ago so maybe you'll get yours soon.

When I called last week, they told me it would be about a week and a half...so hopefully we'll get them Wednesday-ish next week?

I'm currently on the waitlist and received an e-mail asking if I was still interested in MCW. Does anyone know if this has any significance or if they're just trying to weed down the waitlist?

I'm currently on the waitlist and received an e-mail asking if I was still interested in MCW. Does anyone know if this has any significance or if they're just trying to weed down the waitlist?
I think it’s just a form email. I had a similar one for the Green Bay campus right before they were gonna have some waitlist movement. I believe it’s just to weed it down to make sure they aren’t considering people who are no longer interested.

Does anyone know when is the white coat ceremony? Neither it is mentioned online nor on my acceptance letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you get that email? I got the email asking to send my credit report a week or two ago but nothing recently. I assume they know I’m interested since I stated it in my response with the credit report.

When did you get that email? I got the email asking to send my credit report a week or two ago but nothing recently. I assume they know I’m interested since I stated it in my response with the credit report.

I got the e-mail about two weeks ago. It said that they were going through their waitlist and were wondering if I was still interested in attending there. I also got the credit report e-mail, but I think it was last week if I'm remembering correctly.

I got the e-mail about two weeks ago. It said that they were going through their waitlist and were wondering if I was still interested in attending there. I also got the credit report e-mail, but I think it was last week if I'm remembering correctly.
I see, thanks!

I didn’t get that email, so maybe it does mean something

Reactions: 1 users
One more questions (sorry) did you update at all?

Did everyone else receive the laptop enrollment email this morning? To current students, do most students go for this option? Having a device with everything set up sounds pretty convenient

Did everyone else receive the laptop enrollment email this morning? To current students, do most students go for this option? Having a device with everything set up sounds pretty convenient
Also curious about this. I have a relatively new laptop and was wondering if I really need to shell out the money for a new one or if it is realistic to use your own

Totally fine to use your own as long as it meets the requirements because they do check. As far as having things set up, there really isn't all that much you have to do other than install a couple programs IIRC.

I have no clue how many students go through the school to get a new laptop. Use it if you need an upgrade and want to use the discount and are okay with the options they have. Otherwise, you can do whatever you want.

Are there any current students on here that were accepted off the WL? We just received an email that a "small number of students" would be accepted in the coming weeks. Wondering if that means there won't be much movement or if that is just what they say. Thanks.

There will be some waitlist movement. I got in off the waitlist in late May. I know of people who got accepted in June and July so it could happen any time, but there will definitely be at least a little bit of waitlist movement pretty soon.

There will be some waitlist movement. I got in off the waitlist in late May. I know of people who got accepted in June and July so it could happen any time, but there will definitely be at least a little bit of waitlist movement pretty soon.
Ok, thank you! Just didn’t know if the “Small number” meant there’d be less than normal. But I’m probably just anxious, lol.

If we choose to participate in the student laptop program, is there a way we can take out more loans to cover the cost of the laptop? I vaguely remember hearing something about that.

So for this waitlist email, when Alexis says a “small” number, what do you think that means? 3? 15?

If we choose to participate in the student laptop program, is there a way we can take out more loans to cover the cost of the laptop? I vaguely remember hearing something about that.

Just called and apparently financial aid handles the laptop costs unless of course you want to pay out of pocket, then you can just write a check.

Reactions: 2 users
So for this waitlist email, when Alexis says a “small” number, what do you think that means? 3? 15?
I'm assuming it means that a "small" amount will be accepted within coming weeks, but that more will be accepted throughout the summer? Maybe.

Is my understanding correct that the main benefit of the laptop program is the temporary replacement should ours need repair? It sounds to me like if your laptop were to die right before you had to take a test on it, the program would be a real lifesaver. Or could you get some sort of replacement in that situation anyways?

They have loaner laptops for every exam in case yours fails, regardless of whether or not you participated in the laptop program. But with the laptop program, I think you can get the temporary replacement so you have something to use for studying.

You get a couple different cloud storage options (Box, OneDrive) with MCW, so you really should be keeping all your stuff on there in case of a computer problem anyway. So then if you don't participate in the laptop program you can easily find something else to use while you get your laptop fixed.

To be honest, if you look them up for what they come with, they are a little over priced (I cannot speak to the apple products, but the PCs are), especially if you can get the word package elsewhere e.g. a family member gets it free from work or a sibling gets it discounted from school. Best Buy gives students $150 off most computers which is a pretty good deal. I see the true benefit of MCW's computer program being able to get a loaner. However, if you have an old laptop, then you already have your own loaner. I plan to buy the new Lenovo yoga because I have had the previous versions and loved it. Most importantly to me, it has the feature where you can write on it. Idk about you, but I'm not interested in printing 300 powerpoint slides a day, but I definitely like being able to write on them. Other medical students I have talked to strongly suggest using this feature with OneNote. I have a 3 year old laptop that I will keep as a backup.

I got the MacBook Pro and it's awesome! My previous laptop was 5 years old so it was nice to get a new one with the discount.

If your laptop is newer and meets the ram/memory recommendations then I wouldn't bother getting a new one

I used loans to pay for the laptop. They just add it in your M1 budget

Also, for incoming students, do not at all feel compelled to pre-study with the kickstart stuff. I didn't do it, I don't know anyone who did it, and it's definitely not at all necessary!

ENJOY YOUR SUMMER lol

you'll have plenty of time to study when school starts

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! Question for current students - is there any equipment that we're given during orientation that we don't need to buy from the MCW bookstore (like a penlight for example)? Are we given a dissecting kit or should we buy one? Thanks so much!

Also, for incoming students, do not at all feel compelled to pre-study with the kickstart stuff. I didn't do it, I don't know anyone who did it, and it's definitely not at all necessary!

ENJOY YOUR SUMMER lol

you'll have plenty of time to study when school starts
Is this something MCW sends us? But good to know it isn't necessary!:)

Hi! Question for current students - is there any equipment that we're given during orientation that we don't need to buy from the MCW bookstore (like a penlight for example)? Are we given a dissecting kit or should we buy one? Thanks so much!

You'll probably only get a penlight. For anatomy, all you'll need to buy is scalpel blades but you can wait to work that out with your lab group.

Do they typically accept IS students off the WL first?

Do they typically accept IS students off the WL first?
Based on past threads, no. They fill spots as they open. If an OOS student withdraws, they pull from the OOS waitlist. If an IS student withdraws, they pull the IS waitlist. So there’s no real pattern to it. Just depends on who declines their acceptance.

Great, thanks! Looks like there was movement the week of the 14th according to last years thread. Fingers crossed!!