2017-2018 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how recent our TB skin tests have to be to be accepted? If I did my two-step TB tests a couple of years back but completed an additional TB test within the last 12 months is that acceptable? I cannot find the TB and Immunizations form for Castlebranch.
I had some TB tests from a couple years back as well. When I called to ask about this, they said that for the 2 step skin tests, we need one within the past 12 months and another within the past 90 days. Anything older than 12 months doesn't work and won't count for anything. For those who did not get a TB test in the 12 month range, they said you can have two tests done in the 90 day range as long as they're a week apart.

Members don't see this ad.

I had some TB tests from a couple years back as well. When I called to ask about this, they said that for the 2 step skin tests, we need one within the past 12 months and another within the past 90 days. Anything older than 12 months doesn't work and won't count for anything. For those who did not get a TB test in the 12 month range, they said you can have two tests done in the 90 day range as long as they're a week apart.
These instructions are stated on the health forms Ms. Alexis sent us. TB test, Hep B, ect..

Reactions: 1 user
Just a reminder to check your MCW email about submitting your info for the orientation book. It's due June 22nd

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there social events at the beginning of the year to get to know people?
During orientation there will be nightly events planned by older students e.g. Brewers game (baseball), bonfire, trivia-- I can't remember all the things they told me haha

Reactions: 1 users
Sound boring.....
What were you expecting? This is orientation for medical school. Not rush week for a fraternity. You can go off on your own downtown to do whatever it is that you may find entertaining with people outside of planned activities.

What were you expecting? This is orientation for medical school. Not rush week for a fraternity. You can go off on your own downtown to do whatever it is that you may find entertaining with people outside of planned activities.
hahaha you sound too serious.. I can care less if there are activities or not

Who else is excited for this new journey? I can wait to meet you all.

Reactions: 7 users
Do you guys think sending another interest letter will do much at this point? I've already sent an update and an initial interest letter. MCW is definitely my top choice and I would definitely go if I was pulled off the waitlist, but I'm not sure if sending another interest letter will seem too desperate. I don't really have any more update worthy information since my last interest letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
In an e-mail Alexis mentioned that we would have our schedules the week of June 4th. I checked OASIS but there wasn't any info available. Is there somewhere else I should be checking, or is the info not there yet? (I guess it doesn't really matter and I don't need it, but I am excited and curious what our schedule will be!)

In an e-mail Alexis mentioned that we would have our schedules the week of June 4th. I checked OASIS but there wasn't any info available. Is there somewhere else I should be checking, or is the info not there yet? (I guess it doesn't really matter and I don't need it, but I am excited and curious what our schedule will be!)
She said we will have our courses registered for us by June 4th. Go to MCW connect, then student, then choose registration. You will find all the courses are already registered for you.

She said we will have our courses registered for us by June 4th. Go to MCW connect, then student, then choose registration. You will find all the courses are already registered for you.
Yeah. The email said the classes would be registered for us on the week of June 4th. You should be registered but last I checked they still don’t have times or room numbers posted for each course so there’s no actual schedule to look at to plan your days.

Are all 4 essays mandatory for all campuses? or do we just answer one of them if we only apply to one campus?

You won't need your reflex hammer OR tuning fork until second semester. So if you're worried about cost you can wait on those. You WILL need your stethoscope for first semester.

You absolutely do not need to buy an otoscope OR an ophthalmoscope. Every exam room already has one.

@FlyMissMD93

Reactions: 1 users
Are all 4 essays mandatory for all campuses? or do we just answer one of them if we only apply to one campus?
I only had one essay to write for MCW-Milwaukee. I believe the other essays are for the regional campuses, unless something has changed lol

Yeah. The email said the classes would be registered for us on the week of June 4th. You should be registered but last I checked they still don’t have times or room numbers posted for each course so there’s no actual schedule to look at to plan your days.
To plan your days: this was my M1 schedule

Monday: anatomy lecture/lab 1-5 pm
Tuesday: class 8-12 &1-3/4 clinical medicine class
Wednesday: anatomy lecture/lab 1-5 pm
Thursday: lecture 8-12
Friday: lecture 8-12

So essentially, if you attend every lecture, you get Monday/Wednesday morning off, and Thursday/friday afternoon off, which really opens up time for study. If you skip lecture and stream from home (what 90% of the class does by the end of the semester, myself included), you then only have to be on campus THREE days of the week!

I recommend streaming from home because it basically gives you a huge weekend to study :) and it's nice only having to get dressed and go to school 3/5 weekdays.

Reactions: 3 users
To plan your days: this was my M1 schedule

Monday: anatomy lecture/lab 1-5 pm
Tuesday: class 8-12 &1-3/4 clinical medicine class
Wednesday: anatomy lecture/lab 1-5 pm
Thursday: lecture 8-12
Friday: lecture 8-12

So essentially, if you attend every lecture, you get Monday/Wednesday morning off, and Thursday/friday afternoon off, which really opens up time for study. If you skip lecture and stream from home (what 90% of the class does by the end of the semester, myself included), you then only have to be on campus THREE days of the week!

I recommend streaming from home because it basically gives you a huge weekend to study :) and it's nice only having to get dressed and go to school 3/5 weekdays.

In terms of tests and quizzes, how frequent are they during first year? Thanks!

Do you remember which one it is?
This was the one I did for MCW Milwaukee: Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community and how MCW will uniquely prepare you for your future goals. 3000 characters

Do you remember which one it is?
It's gonna be whatever one is pretty open ended about telling them how you will contribute to the MCW learning community. The other three essays are tailored to community medicine and underserved/rural areas because those are for the regional campuses and that's a large part of their mission.

In terms of tests and quizzes, how frequent are they during first year? Thanks!
We had exams every 6 weeks in the first semester, and every 4 weeks in the second semester. Plenty of time to study!

Lol first semester. First 2 weeks after exams you feel like you can go out every night. Haha

Reactions: 2 users
You won't need your reflex hammer OR tuning fork until second semester. So if you're worried about cost you can wait on those. You WILL need your stethoscope for first semester.

You absolutely do not need to buy an otoscope OR an ophthalmoscope. Every exam room already has one.

@FlyMissMD93
Should we buy the package that includes everything? We can order it online and pick it up during the orientation?

Should we buy the package that includes everything? We can order it online and pick it up during the orientation?
I have no idea what’s included in the package because I didn’t get it. If it’s cheaper to get the package then go ahead, I’m just saying not to stress out if you don’t have your reflex hammer on day 1 haha

Is anyone having trouble ordering a white coat? Every time I try to log in to check out, it says the site is under maintenance.

OMG! Just got off the waitlist!!!! I'm going to be a doctor!!!! :banana:

Reactions: 6 users
When I looked up buying the stethoscope separately (and it was on a major sale), the cost of shipping it to my place ended up only saving a few bucks. So I ended up buying the package

Accepted off the WL! So happy :) can’t wait to meet everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
When should we buy First Aid?

@Healer@1994 @Above&Beyond @ANY other current student

If I could start over again I would get Costanzo physiology for first semester. Personally I got first aid second semester because it was more useful for those classes. I would hold out and get the 2019 edition in the winter considering you will use that the first half of second year anyways. But Costanzo is a must have.

what did you all put for specialty when you signed up for the VA training course?

Hi everyone! Can't believe how quickly school is approaching! As expected, my Hep B ab was sadly negative. Received the 1st booster dose and am scheduled to have titer drawn again in 4-6 weeks. Luckily, MCW gave me an extension. Was hoping to get my physical done in the meantime, but both NP's I dealt w/ won't do my physical until the antibody comes back positive (which could be a while). Anyone else dealing with this?

Hi everyone! Can't believe how quickly school is approaching! As expected, my Hep B ab was sadly negative. Received the 1st booster dose and am scheduled to have titer drawn again in 4-6 weeks. Luckily, MCW gave me an extension. Was hoping to get my physical done in the meantime, but both NP's I dealt w/ won't do my physical until the antibody comes back positive (which could be a while). Anyone else dealing with this?
Is this physical in regards to the Health and Communicable Disease Record form? I didn't need any lab test results to get a doctor to sign mine. Given I went to my rheumatologist to have him sign it and I have a positive titer that he ran back in March, but I've also only seen this doctor once in my life and he didn't review my lab test results before signing it. He only looked at my responses to the questions. Did the NP's give a reason why they need the positive test result back before doing the physical? Is it possible you can go to your PCP?

Is this physical in regards to the Health and Communicable Disease Record form? I didn't need any lab test results to get a doctor to sign mine. Given I went to my rheumatologist to have him sign it and I have a positive titer that he ran back in March, but I've also only seen this doctor once in my life and he didn't review my lab test results before signing it. He only looked at my responses to the questions. Did the NP's give a reason why they need the positive test result back before doing the physical? Is it possible you can go to your PCP?
Yes, the Health and Communicable Disease Record form! Unfortunately I'm in between PCPs at the moment, so had to go to a Walgreens clinic. I believe the form only requires the provider to sign off stating that the patient is free of communicable disease. Despite having all my other immunizations, TB tests, and negative Hep B antigen, they insisted that they could not sign off until the antibody was positive (with no other reason given). I found it strange! Am moving to Tosa in a couple weeks, so I'm hoping that I can have better luck at the Fast Care clinic that MCW recommended! Fingers crossed.. I'm done with Walgreens T_T

Has anyone who was recently accepted off the WL received any info about the vaccines or the class schedule or anything at all? Or am I not looking in the right places for these things? I assumed we’d get an email about all of this info shortly after the acceptance, but I haven’t received anything yet. All I have received was the email regarding the MCW email and orientation book info- which I have successfully signed up for & added to my iPhone mail account.

Has anyone who was recently accepted off the WL received any info about the vaccines or the class schedule or anything at all? Or am I not looking in the right places for these things? I assumed we’d get an email about all of this info shortly after the acceptance, but I haven’t received anything yet. All I have received was the email regarding the MCW email and orientation book info- which I have successfully signed up for & added to my iPhone mail account.
I wasn't recently accepted but your class schedule should be on Oasis. Though they do need to give you access to it so they may not have done that yet, but that's where you'll find it. If you have your MCW email, you should be able to sign up on Castlebranch using that email and following the directions below in order to submit your immunization documentation. All other forms were sent in emails from Alexis. If someone else recently accepted can comment on whether or not they've received those emails, please weigh in. Otherwise I would call admissions. They're very helpful. Worse case scenario, I can forward you the emails from Alexis.

1.) Go to Employment Screening, Background Checks and Drug Testing Services - Welcome to Castle Branch

2.) Click "place order" (upper right hand side).

3.) Type in package code "MZ14"

4.) Fill in your personal information :)

Don't forget use your MCW email address!

I wasn't recently accepted but your class schedule should be on Oasis. Though they do need to give you access to it so they may not have done that yet, but that's where you'll find it. If you have your MCW email, you should be able to sign up on Castlebranch using that email and following the directions below in order to submit your immunization documentation. All other forms were sent in emails from Alexis. If someone else recently accepted can comment on whether or not they've received those emails, please weigh in. Otherwise I would call admissions. They're very helpful. Worse case scenario, I can forward you the emails from Alexis.
Thanks so much! I haven’t received any of the pre-matriculation form emails, but my acceptance was only made final last Friday. I’ll see what I can do with the info you gave me!

This might be a stupid question... but did anyone else not get a flu shot this year? I didn't, so I can't submit that on CastleBranch and now flu season is over. Anyone else in the same boat?