2017-2018 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey would it be too late to apply? My LizzyM is 68.5, LGBT
You're behind the game but I'd say it's still worth a shot, especially if you're interested in the regional campuses and think you're a good fit for their mission!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it pointless to apply to the regional campuses if you're out of state? I get the impression that the regional sites are for people from (or with strong ties to) Wisconsin who want to stay in Wisconsin to practice. If you only apply to Milwaukee, you only have to fill out one essay.

Is it pointless to apply to the regional campuses if you're out of state? I get the impression that the regional sites are for people from (or with strong ties to) Wisconsin who want to stay in Wisconsin to practice. If you only apply to Milwaukee, you only have to fill out one essay.

I'm OOS, even rejected from UW Madison for not having close enough ties. I have on interview on Tuesday at the central campus! There is hope! Worth noting that I am from a rural area, <2500, and I went to undergrad in WI.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're behind the game but I'd say it's still worth a shot, especially if you're interested in the regional campuses and think you're a good fit for their mission!

Speaking of applying for the regional campuses, is there any requirement that you practice in WI for such and such amount of time in order to be accepted? The mission of the central campus specifically just sounds really focused.

Yep we have lots of student organizations and interest groups! I doubt the groups are as diverse as those on a larger campus, but we still have things like a student health and wellness organization, student lead government, specialty interest groups and even intramurals. As far as community involvement, there are TONS of opportunities and places looking for help. Homeless shelters, a drug abuse rehab center, a shelter for abused women, hospitals, there's a mentorship program which targets at-risk kids, etc. One of the requirements to graduate actually is to plan and complete a longitudinal community service project that you work on throughout your 3 years, so you'll kind of build your own opportunity that way too. Unfortunately there aren't any student lead free clinic on either regional campus that I'm aware of, but like I said, there are a lot of other opportunities. Hope that helps!

That sounds rad. I haven't interviewed yet, so I'm sure I'll get tons of information there, but I was worrying that in a smaller area there would be less opportunities for those sorts of community activities. Happy to hear there are plenty, and that it's actually emphasized.

Reactions: 1 user
Speaking of applying for the regional campuses, is there any requirement that you practice in WI for such and such amount of time in order to be accepted? The mission of the central campus specifically just sounds really focused.
Nope, no requirement! I think the hope is that you'll stay in rural Wisconsin after you graduate. They definitely are looking for people who express interest in practicing rural medicine (particularly primary care), especially in Wisconsin, but you don't have to commit to anything by choosing to go to a regional campus.

Last edited:
If you think you'd be a good fit and fit the mission of the regional campuses, then it's definitely worth a shot! There are students who don't have any ties to Wisconsin at the regional campuses.

Felt pretty "iffy" about my interview experience. One of my interviewers was very stern and had a follow-up question for everything. Not very confident walking out of there... hoping I can still pull this off.

Felt pretty "iffy" about my interview experience. One of my interviewers was very stern and had a follow-up question for everything. Not very confident walking out of there... hoping I can still pull this off.

Very similar experience, don't worry about it. You'll be fine!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an email that I am in the hold pile. Has anyone else received this?

I am sure it will work out. When do you find out?

Interview hold today too :( Sadness

Is this a different email than the one saying your file has been initially reviewed and "your application has moved forward in the process to the group of applicants who will potentially be invited to interview for admission" ?

If we did not receive a "hold" email does that mean we should expect a rejection?

I didn't get a hold email and still got an interview. You're probably fine!

Ugh, I hope that's true and not just a silent rejection. I've been complete since 7/4, but I would love an opportunity to interview for this school! It seems really awesome.

How do you check your status to this school? When I log on to the app there is nothing that shows the status of my app...

Under the supplementals item tab, what does it say for your LORs?

How do you check your status to this school? When I log on to the app there is nothing that shows the status of my app...

I had the same issue so I emailed them today and asked them about the status of my application. I was very impressed of how quickly they responded!

So nervous to hear back in two weeks especially since my interview was only okay

It starts at 11ish in the alumni center (make sure you don't go on the balcony lol) it's pretty chill and interviews are different for everyone, for me it was a laid back conversation about my app and just med school life in general, you have a student interview and a phd or md interview, I think we had lunch with m1s and m2s and tours from m1s. I personally didn't do the host program but I would've if I were to do it again. I stayed in Brookfield but try to find a hotel if you must in Wauwatosa.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Do you know if there is a student host program at the central regional campus? Just wondering before I book a second night at my airbnb. Thank you in advance!

Has anyone received an interview after the "The Admissions Committee has completed its initial review of your application, and your application has moved forward in the process to the group of applicants who will potentially be invited to interview for admission." email?

Has anyone received an interview after the "The Admissions Committee has completed its initial review of your application, and your application has moved forward in the process to the group of applicants who will potentially be invited to interview for admission." email?

just received that email too... anyone know what this means?

just received that email too... anyone know what this means?
haha it means exactly what it says. You haven't been rejected and they are still considering whether to invite you to interview or not.

FYI if you're interviewing in green bay to look at the Packers schedule when picking your interview date.. Hotel prices skyrocket and fill fast for game days

Reactions: 2 users
haha it means exactly what it says. You haven't been rejected and they are still considering whether to invite you to interview or not.
I was more curious as to if everyone moves to this sub-committee or if some get interviews immediately... Based on the wording, I am not sure

What if we haven't received this email at all? Is that worse? LOL

Reactions: 5 users
What if we haven't received this email at all? Is that worse? LOL

I literally called their office today to try and find that out, but they didn't pick up, and then I chickened out writing an email.

Reactions: 2 users
I literally called their office today to try and find that out, but they didn't pick up, and then I chickened out writing an email.
Call again and let us know! (I'm afraid to call/email too hahah)

Call again and let us know! (I'm afraid to call/email too hahah)

I'm just afraid of sounding like the neurotic psycho who gets too much information from the internet. Because that's not true at all :dead:

We'll see how I feel about it tomorrow. I'm thinking it's kind of nature's way of intervening. I probably won't do anything crazy until after 10/16.

Anyone know what milwaukee is like? I'm from LA xD
Milwaukee is pretty dangerous overall. I don't like it very much. The area near the campus doesn't have much also. However, the burbs around campus aren't tooooo bad. The nightlife is pretty sweet downtown tho... just have to be careful. People, of course, will have different opinions about it so ask others as well.

Milwaukee is pretty dangerous overall. I don't like it very much. The area near the campus doesn't have much also. However, the burbs around campus aren't tooooo bad. The nightlife is pretty sweet downtown tho... just have to be careful. People, of course, will have different opinions about it so ask others as well.

Are there other parts of Wisconsin you'd like living/ practicing in?