2017-2018 Medical University of South Carolina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received and submitted on 07/06/2017

Does going to an SC state school for four years satisfy a close ties request? I hope so.

So if we have zero ties to South Carolina, I assume it makes no sense to submit this secondary?

I think it is very hard to get in OOS with no ties unless you have a stellar application. I could be wrong and I'll defer to anyone with more experience on this.

Reactions: 1 user
So if we have zero ties to South Carolina, I assume it makes no sense to submit this secondary?
Dr. Hazen-Martin came to my school and basically told people that OOS consideration only goes to those with close SC ties. I.e you've lived here or have a family member that does. So yeah, probably doesn't make any sense.
Does going to an SC state school for four years satisfy a close ties request? I hope so.
We were told that going to an SC undergrad counts as close ties in their eyes.

Furthermore, if you go to either Furman or Clemson, they give a .5 gpa boost to your application.

That's good news!! I go to USC though so no extra boost for me :[[

For this school, do you have to additionally send a transcript to them? Like AMCAS won't work?

That's good news!! I go to USC though so no extra boost for me :[[
There is a USC boost! its just not as large as Clemson's or Furman's. I wish I remembered it, but I do not go there so I did not pay attention to the other schools. I want to say like + .25 or something? This was from a powerpoint they do not publish sadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
does MUSC screen for secondaries? at one point on their website it says they will send an invite to the secondary but at another part they say just return to this page to complete once you have submitted to AMCAS...

Doctor of Medicine Application
MD_MD Supplementals

Can anyone verify if this is the same as what is being emailed out?

For the number of semester hours for our college, I assume that means the number we plan to have when we graduate?

Also, on the recommendation letter section, it says my program doesn't require letters of rec. But in their email it says to send them through AMCAS. Does everyone's app say their program doesn't require LOR?

Has anyone else who is IS submitted their demographic form and received an email that it was printed, but it still has not been marked as received in the "Application Progress" portal? I would email them about it, but they specifically state not to email them regarding the verification or receipt of application materials.

Are the prompts the same as last year? If not, can someone post them please?

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Just to make sure, do we need to send our MCAT score directly to MUSC?

what if we started living in SC 1 year ago? does this count as IS?

worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research (1 first author pub, 1 middle author pub incoming, working in clinical research lab for a year, 8 months of writing highlights for hepatology journal)? hoping my MCAT/research can offset my gpa. Wish i knew the OOS average MCAT/gpa. Also, I'm from NC, grandparents live in SC and I visit them often, does this count as ties? And are all OOS viewed the same or would being from NC help than, say, someone applying from Iowa?

Those that have received interview invitations- any idea on what days of the week interviews are offered? I've read they do interviews from September-March, but haven't been able to find the days.

Those that have received interview invitations- any idea on what days of the week interviews are offered? I've read they do interviews from September-March, but haven't been able to find the days.
MUSC does not begin inviting people to interview until the end of August, per the previous 5 years of sdn school specific threads. Maybe they have invited one or two EDP, but I don't know because I applied regular decision.

Furthermore, if you go to either Furman or Clemson, they give a .5 gpa boost to your application.
Other SC schools receive a 0.25 GPA boost. They use a formula for ranking applicants and admit mostly in descending order. I'm unsure if the 0.50 or 0.25 GPA can take you over a 4.00.

Other SC schools receive a 0.25 GPA boost. They use a formula for ranking applicants and admit mostly in descending order. I'm unsure if the 0.50 or 0.25 GPA can take you over a 4.00.
I distinctly remember they do go over 4.0. Thought it was weird.

I distinctly remember they do go over 4.0. Thought it was weird.

That's not weird at all. It would be unfair to not apply the standard evenly. If that were not the case then anyone from a SC school with a higher GPA would be equivalent to someone with a 3.75/3.5. Not that this GPA is bad, but there is a distinct difference between an applicant with a 3.9+ than a 3.75/3.5 when it comes to longitudinal academic achievement.

That's not weird at all. It would be unfair to not apply the standard evenly. If that were not the case then anyone from a SC school with a higher GPA would be equivalent to someone with a 3.75/3.5. Not that this GPA is bad, but there is a distinct difference between an applicant with a 3.9+ than a 3.75/3.5 when it comes to longitudinal academic achievement.
This is the boat that I'm in. I have a 4.00 from a SC school that receives the 0.25 boost. I would have been easier for the last few years if I allowed myself to get a B in every fourth class that I attempted, knowing that in MUSC's eyes, I would have a 4.00 anyway, but I put the effort in to maintain a 4.0, which will now be a 4.25 in their algorithm. The schools that get a 0.50 boost typically have
Early Acceptance Programs with competing medical schools in SC (source, source).

This is the boat that I'm in. I have a 4.00 from a SC school that receives the 0.25 boost. I would have been easier for the last few years if I allowed myself to get a B in every fourth class that I attempted, knowing that in MUSC's eyes, I would have a 4.00 anyway, but I put the effort in to maintain a 4.0, which will now be a 4.25 in their algorithm. The schools that get a 0.50 boost typically have
Early Acceptance Programs with competing medical schools in SC (source, source).
Keep in mind that GPA is only part of the whole. MUSC also takes into account MCAT, your PS, and your ECs. So, someone with a "4.25" can easily outshine someone with a "4.5." Also, if you look at the MSAR data, all three schools matriculate ~50% of all SC applicants. I'd assume, based on extrapolation, the three schools accept 1.3-1.5 times the number of matriculate to fill their class. We are in a very lucky state, and I'd imagine that most SC applicants have an okay chance of getting accepted (or that's what I tell myself to help me sleep at night haha).

does this school pre-screen before sending secondaries?
I was verified like a week ago and haven't received anything

does this school pre-screen before sending secondaries?
I was verified like a week ago and haven't received anything
1. Are you IS? They do pre-screen, but the IS pre-screen is really light. However, the OOS pre-screen requires a pretty good MCAT and very close ties to SC.
2. MUSC did take ~1 week to send out secondaries to those of us whose AMCAS was transmitted in the first batch. MUSC, like every other school, has to download the secondary. So, although you have been verified, it is up to MUSC to go in and download the batch of apps in the queue. I'd give it another two weeks max. If you have not heard anything, you can always call or email then. But remember, as @Goro says, "patience is a virtue, instant gratification is not."

1. Yup I'm IS
2. Yeah I should be more patient

I wish I was like Goro

I'm OOS and would like to end up practicing medicine in South Carolina. I have a 516 mcat and 4.0 gpa but no strong ties to the state other than vacationing there every year. Is it worth the money to submit the secondary?

I'm OOS and would like to end up practicing medicine in South Carolina. I have a 516 mcat and 4.0 gpa but no strong ties to the state other than vacationing there every year. Is it worth the money to submit the secondary?
My recommendation would be to call and ask. That or peruse through the threads from previous years and make a determination based on previous applicants' expereinces.

Dr. Hazen-Martin came to my school and basically told people that OOS consideration only goes to those with close SC ties. I.e you've lived here or have a family member that does. So yeah, probably doesn't make any sense.

We were told that going to an SC undergrad counts as close ties in their eyes.

+1
I just graduated from Furman and this is what I was told by our premed committee. Not sure why though. Furman is known for its rigor. Could be a reason

+1
I just graduated from Furman and this is what I was told by our premed committee. Not sure why though. Furman is known for its rigor. Could be a reason
That's pretty much right. They assign some sort of perceived value to the rigor of the individual schools. Furman is definitely the top liberal arts college in the state, so it makes sense.

Just called the admissions office because I didn't receive a secondary in 2 weeks. They said it was strange that I didn't receive it. If any of you didn't receive a secondary yet I recommend calling them, they said they are having some technical difficulties.

Just a heads up :)

Last edited:
Has anyone else who is IS submitted their demographic form and received an email that it was printed, but it still has not been marked as received in the "Application Progress" portal? I would email them about it, but they specifically state not to email them regarding the verification or receipt of application materials.
Checked the portal this morning and saw they marked the demographic/verification form as received. Nice to see an update, hopefully II's are next =)

Does MUSC require official transcripts from each institution as part of the secondary application? I was reading over the "READ THIS FIRST" document and wondered if that was just in general (post-acceptance stuff) or for everyone.

Friend applied early decision and has an interview set for September 5th. I applied regular admissions, and have not heard back.

Friend applied early decision and has an interview set for September 5th. I applied regular admissions, and have not heard back.
Look at last year's thread. They didn't start offering interviews to regular decision until mid September. No need to freak out yet.

Since this cycle is one week later than last cycle, I say 9/22 is the first day for interview offers for regular decision. If I'm right you all owe me chick fil a.

Reactions: 2 users
Seems like 9/22 isn't going to the be first day of interview offers!

II today, IS 3.95/515

Reactions: 1 users
the first week in july (I think the 6th or the 7th)

round 2 of 2 for ED interviewees will take place this week. It was delayed due to the hurricane. ED decisions to be sent out september 27th/28th. I received this through a friend.