2017-2018 Meharry Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why do you wish to attend Meharry Medical College, School of Medicine?

Please describe a personal situation of failure, significant challenge or a major obstacle that you have overcome. Include a description of your coping skills and lessons you learned about yourself from that situation.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how they screen? What their cut offs are? etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Also wondering this, also, if I'm a URM, but not necessarily AA, do I even have a chance? I believe my volunteer experiences have demonstrated a strong desire to serve underrepresented populations and fits the mission of Meharry, which is why I applied.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also wondering this, also, if I'm a URM, but not necessarily AA, do I even have a chance? I believe my volunteer experiences have demonstrated a strong desire to serve underrepresented populations and fits the mission of Meharry, which is why I applied.
You and me both.

I feel like if we demonstrated a drive to assist the underserved we'll be given equal consideration given the mission of the school.

Reactions: 1 user
You and me both.

I feel like if we demonstrated a drive to assist the underserved we'll be given equal consideration given the mission of the school.

lmao i feel like we have the exact same school list I've seen you on like every school thread I've applied to and i love it. Good luck!
But like seriously this school would be kinda cool to go to

lmao i feel like we have the exact same school list I've seen you on like every school thread I've applied to and i love it. Good luck!
But like seriously this school would be kinda cool to go to
I was noticing the same thing too :highfive:

I hope we'll cross paths on the interview trail! And yes! This would be a great school to attend given the emphasis on practicing internal/family medicine and serving the underserved!

Same.

Hello, everyone, hope to meet you all..

What's the typical GPA and DAT scores that get into Meharry?

Members don't see this ad :)
Exciting to start on allopathic secondaries!

^^^^^^^^Secondary received!!! 1st one of Allopathic cycle as well!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I also received the secondary and I'm super excited!

Submitted!

I'm not sure if anyone has experience with the FAP but I was granted a waiver and when I submitted I didn't have to indicate my waiver status and I just submitted. Is that how it typically works?

Submitted! Did anyone see where we are supposed to pay the fee?

I'm having the same fee issue. I submitted (no waiver) but was never asked to pay anywhere.

I emailed them. Will keep you all updated as to how it goes.

I received the secondary as well, but I'm having trouble finding the actual essay because I keep getting the message "information access denied" every time I try to go on the "Supplemental Application for Medical School Admission" link.

Can someone please post the essay prompt and the word limit for it?

my #1 choice! hoping to get some love soon but I can't trip because I don't even have an MCAT yet lol...

if you don't mind, people with secondaries post stats?

Received a secondary on June 29th

I thought they automatically send out secondaries?

Submitted! Did anyone see where we are supposed to pay the fee?
The website states that College Net will assess the $65, but I was able to submit the secondary with no fee. Not sure what is going on here.

LizzyM: 62.80
uGPA: 3.3
gGPA: 3.9
MCAT: 30
non-trad, work XP, multiple publications

What is the secondary prompts please?

my #1 choice! hoping to get some love soon but I can't trip because I don't even have an MCAT yet lol...

uGPA: 3.1
gGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 519
Also non-trad, 3+ years of EMT volunteer experience, 2 years of scribing

international applicant
graduated ug 2017 April.
3.8, 507
above average ECs

Received a secondary however, when I try to submit, it tells me that I have to pay however I am a FAP recipient. I saw on the website that they have to receive a copy of the FAP receipt so I emailed them but no response since I sent an email on Friday.

Received a secondary however, when I try to submit, it tells me that I have to pay however I am a FAP recipient. I saw on the website that they have to receive a copy of the FAP receipt so I emailed them but no response since I sent an email on Friday.
Let me submit, granted it was the night of, and I'm a FAP recipient. I wonder if they'll send an email out addressing the inconsistencies.

Let me know if they update you on this bc I'm also a FAP recipient and will be submitting my secondary next week

Hey guys,
new to SDN
I was just trying to check my status - it says to click "view my checklist" but it seems as though that button does not exist, is anyone else having a similar issue??

Also!
My stats are
cGPA: 3.86
sGPA: 3.99
MCAT: 504

I'm not AA but I am an URM
Think I got a shot here?!

Would someone mind posting the secondary prompts for this school? Thank you!

anyone know if there is a word limit or character count limit for the prompts? thanks!

Since there isn't a word limit, how many words/characters does everyone deem appropriate? Or what should the minimum be?

Since there isn't a word limit, how many words/characters does everyone deem appropriate? Or what should the minimum be?

Im not sure, maybe a page though, more than that would be a higher character count than what most other schools offer.

any current students have any wise words? very interested in hearing some perspective! (also if anyone has a link to previous threads with someone good talking about the school, that will do too haha)

@cj1143 the rising M1s and currents usually pop up a bit later in the cycle. it's still pretty early. most of the people applying this cycle haven't even submitted yet. a lot of people submit like august. check this out...it's a few years back but can still paint the picture

upload_2017-7-7_12-33-53.png

when do they start sending out interviews?

Does anyone know how strict they are about the 3 letters of recommendation? On MSAR it says a minimum and maximum of 3, but on their website it just says a minimum of 3. I just wanted to know if I am missing something on their site, or I should just listen to MSAR?

M

Last edited:

Some good advice I got from a friend who went through this process last year was to not exceed 500 words. Get your point across as concisely as possible.

Let me know if they update you on this bc I'm also a FAP recipient and will be submitting my secondary next week
I was able to submit my secondary today. I'm not sure when they updated my portal but when I logged in today, it had told me that my supplementary had been updated. You may want to forward them a copy of your fee waiver ahead of time.

15 students took the time in this post to claim that they received or submitted the secondaries, not a single one shared it. I thought this was suppose to be a space to share secondary prompts?

15 students took the time in this post to claim that they received or submitted the secondaries, not a single one shared it. I thought this was suppose to be a space to share secondary prompts?
Sorry about that. Did not realize that no one posted.

Please describe a personal situation of failure, significant challenge or a major obstacle that you have overcome. Include a description of your coping skills and lessons you learned about yourself from that situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about that. Did not realize that no one posted.

Hey thanks man. Both the why do you wish and describe a personal situation of failure are secondary prompts for this school? Can you tell us whats the word max?