2017-2018 Meharry Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@NavyBlueSuit

How does financial aid work once your accepted? I'm aware that Meharry has a school based application in addition to FAFSA but how quickly does Meharry process? If I'm accepted, I'd have limited funds so I'm very concerned about getting a timely refund after classes start.

Members don't see this ad.

@NavyBlueSuit

How does financial aid work once your accepted? I'm aware that Meharry has a school based application in addition to FAFSA but how quickly does Meharry process? If I'm accepted, I'd have limited funds so I'm very concerned about getting a timely refund after classes start.

I was told it normally takes 2 weeks from the start of school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are acceptances slowly trickling out? I think I see that there are 2 new members in the Facebook group since yesterday.

Are acceptances slowly trickling out? I think I see that there are 2 new members in the Facebook group since yesterday.

One girl was accepted in May not sure about the other one yet. We were just discussing how little we still know and we are at a month out now. People are starting to move and what not already.

One girl was accepted in May not sure about the other one yet. We were just discussing how little we still know and we are at a month out now. People are starting to move and what not already.

Oh, that makes sense. I don't know why Meharry didn't just notify everyone at once but such is life.

Hi! I'm applying this cycle and was wondering if anyone would be willing to read my secondary? This is one of my top choices :)

Last edited:
What do you guys think the chances are that Meharry may send out MHS invites next week, given the holiday?

How many students does the MHS program typically take?

I wish I knew this too.

Spoke to a Dr. @ Meharry who talked to the director of the program. Apparently all the spots are filled and the chances of of anyone withdrawing from program is slim. I am hoping that this was a confusion between the MD and MHS program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Spoke to a Dr. @ Meharry who talked to the director of the program. Apparently all the spots are filled and the chances of of anyone withdrawing from program is slim. I am hoping that this was a confusion between the MD and MHS program.

Had to be a misunderstanding. I spoke with someone in admissions and they said more MHS decisions would go out in July.

Was this Doctor part of the Graduate School or the Medical School?

Last edited:
Did anyone else hear about Meharry having to let 55 employees go?

Reactions: 1 users
Called today and there are still spots open

Reactions: 3 users
Called today and there are still spots open

Did they give you any idea when they might contact us this month? I know they said July but I'm nowhere near Nashville and kinda need to plan.

Last edited:
Did they give you any idea when they might contact us this month? I know they said July but I'm nowhere near Nashville and kinda need to plan.
Nope lol he said *worst* case scenario it’ll be a week or 2 before school starts ‍♀️

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know of someone completing the MHS program and applying to a school other than Meharry successfully?

I called and was informed that decisions could be as late as the last week of July... so much for planning for the future.

I dont know why this is so drawn out.

Last edited:
I called and was informed that decisions could be as late as the last week of July... so much for planning for the future.

I dont know why this is so drawn out.

Do you think that the committee is still legitimately reviewing applications OR that they've already extended enough MHS acceptances and will call people at the last minute to fill seats if anyone drops? I'm an MHS hopeful too.

Do you think that the committee is still legitimately reviewing applications OR that they've already extended enough MHS acceptances and will call people at the last minute to fill seats if anyone drops? I'm an MHS hopeful too.

I think they're still revieiwing but they're just taking a little longer than we'd like. The Facebook for the program only has like 27 members and I believe they still need about 30 more people. Admittedly, this could all be wrong but I think we're still in the running.

@mscarolina did Meharry first tell you you were being considered in May? I know it's hard to wait for such an important decision but I think our patience will be rewarded.

@mscarolina did Meharry first tell you you were being considered in May? I know it's hard to wait for such an important decision but I think our patience will be rewarded.
Nope! I haven't received an email from them saying anything about MHS. I've just inquired about it a couple times via phone/email.

SN: All I got from Meharry was silence post-interview, except for the few times I called and got through to someone. I didn't even know I was on the waitlist until I got the "your application has been closed" email 2 weeks ago :smack:

Nope! I haven't received an email from them saying anything about MHS. I've just inquired about it a couple times via phone/email.

SN: All I got from Meharry was silence post-interview, except for the few times I called and got through to someone. I didn't even know I was on the waitlist until I got the "your application has been closed" email 2 weeks ago :smack:

I'm sorry to break this to you but MHS is by invite only and you cannot apply for it directly. If Meharry did not send you an email for consideration, I don't know if you can get in.

I'm sorry, I just thought you should be aware.

I'm sorry to break this to you but MHS is by invite only and you cannot apply for it directly. If Meharry did not send you an email for consideration, I don't know if you can get in.

I'm sorry, I just thought you should be aware.
I know, I was just thinking that Meharry might consider me for MHS since I didn’t get in off the waitlist.

Who else has a gut feeling we will hear something this upcoming week?

I'm probably not going to take a seat, even if offered, but good luck to all those waiting! I just cannot justify the price-tag even though this is an extraordinary program.

I'm probably not going to take a seat, even if offered, but good luck to all those waiting! I just cannot justify the price-tag even though this is an extraordinary program.

What are the numbers looking like for you?

What are the numbers looking like for you?

About 50-60,000. My local school is significantly less and I could keep my job(which pays fairly well). If I didn't already have student loans, I'd probably go but part of being an adult is realizing when you shouldn't do something.

It still hurts a little but such is life.

Last edited:
@NavyBlueSuit and anyone who might know, are there scholarships available to MHS students? I really want to attend(if invited) but borrowing so much money seems less than prudent.

Last edited:
Anyone hear anything lately? How is everybody's Summer treating them?

I think I'm going to go fishing to kill some time.

Anyone hear anything lately? How is everybody's Summer treating them?

I think I'm going to go fishing to kill some time.
Lol I hope you come to Meharry just so I have a fishing buddy . We still havent heard from financial aid. From what I remember there arent scholarships for the mhs program. I feel like the guaranteed acceptance(per meeting the requirements) is worth the cost for me, but I understand where you are coming from as well. Really hoping to get some aid myself in the upcoming years

Lol I hope you come to Meharry just so I have a fishing buddy . We still havent heard from financial aid. From what I remember there arent scholarships for the mhs program. I feel like the guaranteed acceptance(per meeting the requirements) is worth the cost for me, but I understand where you are coming from as well. Really hoping to get some aid myself in the upcoming years

I hope I'll be joining ya but it seems like Meharry is taking their time in selecting canidates; I guess they're trying to find people who fit the program. Hopefully all of us will hear something soon so we'll know what to do.

Has anyone called recently? It's like 3 weeks until orientation and so many of us are still without information.

Has anyone called recently? It's like 3 weeks until orientation and so many of us are still without information.

I called on Wednesday and was told we will be informed of decisions in "1.5 weeks to 2 weeks".

I called on Wednesday and was told we will be informed of decisions in "1.5 weeks to 2 weeks".

So, essentially like the week before orientation. I love my HBCUs but we've got to do better with organization. Are we really expected to move to Nashville in a week? I'll gladly go if accepted but more time would be nice.

Oh well.

Edit: I see that a couple more people got in recently. Is it possible that Meharry meant that they will continue making decisions for another 1.5-2 weeks?

Last edited:
So, essentially like the week before orientation. I love my HBCUs but we've got to do better with organization. Are we really expected to move to Nashville in a week? I'll gladly go if accepted but more time would be nice.

Oh well.

Edit: I see that a couple more people got in recently. Is it possible that Meharry meant that they will continue making decisions for another 1.5-2 weeks?

How do you know more people have been accepted? And I was thinking the same thing lol but that was literally her exact wording so it could be. I guess it’s really just a matter of how we interpret it?

I called earlier this week and was told that they were doing rolling admissions and that it is taking longer than expected to send out invites

How do you know more people have been accepted? And I was thinking the same thing lol but that was literally her exact wording so it could be. I guess it’s really just a matter of how we interpret it?

I've been looking on Twitter and Facebook - I know it's sad but I have essentially nothing going on right now.

I called earlier this week and was told that they were doing rolling admissions and that it is taking longer than expected to send out invites

I called last week and was told the same thing. I think if we all just remain patient, we'll hear good news!

I spoke with admissions today. She told me that they will be sending decisions at the end of the week.

Hopefully they will stick to that.