2017-2018 Michigan State University (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys I’m applying for next cycle. OOS with 3.86 GPA and 503 mcat. Will be applying early as I have most of my application ready. Do I have a shot?

Kind of a different question, but how necessary would you say having a car is? Would it help or get in the way?

Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of a different question, but how necessary would you say having a car is? Would it help or get in the way?
Generally would help to have a car. It's possible to get away with not having a car (at least in Lansing there are walkable apartments to Fee Hall and parking can be a chore on campus) but that makes the little things like grocery shopping a bit more difficult -- though I guess there are affordable delivery services now! However, you pretty much need one by third/fourth year for rotations, auditions, interviews, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The only people I know who were moved to Detroit from EL happened after Summer semester and Fall semester was over. I think that grammar on that sentence was super wrong, btw.
Do you know anyone who were moved from Macomb campus to Detroit Campus?

Any fellow Canadians hear back from Tier 1 WL?

negative :(

Hopefully some of the admitted Canadians at MSUCOM have applied to Canadian Medical Schools!! They won't get their admissions decisions until May 7th/8th

Reactions: 1 user
hi guys, congratz on getting in and good luck to everyone on waitlist :)
Just wondering what are cheaper car insurance options in Detroit area. Also I am a Canadian if that changes anything

hi guys, congratz on getting in and good luck to everyone on waitlist :)
Just wondering what are cheaper car insurance options in Detroit area. Also I am a Canadian if that changes anything
Thanks mostly to our no-fault insurance, Michigan is unfortunately the most expensive state in the country to have car insurance. I would just compare several... was with Liberty Mutual, Geico, and Allstate over the course of med school -- they tend to be pretty comparable.

I just got off the T1 WL! Is there a FB group for accepted students?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got in off T2 yesterday! Interviewed 10/27, IS.

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats to everyone getting off the waitlists! If anyone is interested in a 1 bedroom super close to Fee Hall, PM me :)

Does anyone know how to withdraw one's acceptance at MSUCOM? I received an offer from my top choice recently and will be taking it. Thanks in advance and hope that my spot goes to one of you here!

Does anyone know how to withdraw one's acceptance at MSUCOM? I received an offer from my top choice recently and will be taking it. Thanks in advance and hope that my spot goes to one of you here!
I would just email the admissions office.

Also, do we have to redo our driving test? Or will they issue us a new licence/plate
You don't need to re-do the test. They just invalidate your Canadian license and give you a new Michigan one since they are equivalent. I switched over to the Michigan license, but most Canadian students end up keeping their Canadian license and plate though.

Is anyone concerned that the recent controversy involving Dr. Nassar and his horrendous actions will negatively impact/stigmatize MSUCOM graduates to the point of affecting residency opportunities? Would love to hear what you guys think!

Is anyone concerned that the recent controversy involving Dr. Nassar and his horrendous actions will negatively impact/stigmatize MSUCOM graduates to the point of affecting residency opportunities? Would love to hear what you guys think!
Although it was be a scarlet letter for MSU for years to come, I believe that program directors will understand it has nothing to do with medical students that happen to go to school there. If it were to ever come up in an interview (I don't even know if residency interviews ask things like this), I would be honest in explaining how I felt about it at the time but how as a class we honestly really came together. Separate from all the action admin. took, it really feels like our class (which up until this point wasn't super close) kind of rallied because we all have this shared experience we had to endure.

Withdrew my acceptance yesterday. Hope one of the hopeful Canadian gets my seat :)

Could any current Canadian students provide some feedback on the program? In addition, I am still quite concerned about the steep tuition after scholarship (58k/year for Canadians) due to the poor conversion rate from CAD TO USD (currently 1.32, ouch). Are thescholarships provided on the official website

Scholarship Information - College of Osteopathic Medicine - Michigan State University

attainable and how much is usually given?

Thanks all and best of luck to all those on the WL

Could any current Canadian students provide some feedback on the program? In addition, I am still quite concerned about the steep tuition after scholarship (58k/year for Canadians) due to the poor conversion rate from CAD TO USD (currently 1.32, ouch). Are thescholarships provided on the official website

Scholarship Information - College of Osteopathic Medicine - Michigan State University

attainable and how much is usually given?

Thanks all and best of luck to all those on the WL
I'll hopefully let a Canadian answer your questions with a bit more authority, but one thing to consider is that you can get a refund for your fourth year (see part VII, paragraph 2) in the amount of anything over in-state tuition (i.e., you effectively pay in-state tuition for your last year) if you do residency in Michigan. Most of our Canadians do.

Yes, scholarships are attainable and Canadian students usually do well when applying for them. Technically the discount you get on OOS tuition as a Canadian is a scholarship, but other scholarships can range from hundreds to thousands to ? more? I don't know for sure but personally received around $25,000 in scholarships over two years from just one scholarship application cycle.

I'll be withdrawing my offer in favor of a Canadian MD school.

Best of luck to fellow Canadians on the waitlist!

Has anyone been able to find, or happen to know the overall total match percentage this year? I’m having trouble deciphering the data they posted on their page...

Has anyone been able to find, or happen to know the overall total match percentage this year? I’m having trouble deciphering the data they posted on their page...

I believe the placement rate was something like 97% when it was mentioned a few weeks ago at a post-match panel

Match rate is..
238 placed through acgme aoa and mil + 1 AUA + 2 canadian matches= 241
283 eligible grads according to aoa
85% Match rate

now lets check if that original placement number is right
according to this sheet http://www.com.msu.edu/Students/Career_Guidance/Match Data/MatchData.pdf
36 people placed through non aoa/acgme/mil match, so subtract the aua and canadian matches and you get 33 soaps/scrambles? which doesnt exactly line up with the 30 scramble/soaps on the master match list doc, so im probably missing other non aoa/acgme/mil matches but its close enough

so like 268-271 placements out of 283 = 94.69-95.75 placement if i did my math right, but i got these numbers from several different resources released at several different time points so take that for what its worth

Yeah, the data the college put out is not exactly helpful in that you have no idea what combination of matches people took part in, etc. @Scrubs101 did some good number wizardry above, though!

I can give you my most educated guess: as far as match percentage I believe it was ~96% based on the commencement information we were provided and my conversations with some of those people.

Not sure how many people who didn't match have been able to find placement in the interim; tough for me to give an exact number since I do not know the circumstances around everyone who had a "to be determined" as of graduation. My personal feeling is that 96% is lower than it really should be - and has been historically - and that this was a tough year.

Hey everyone - for those who have been accepted, are any of you OOS? Thinking of applying this cycle and would love to hear your story of acceptance / stats. Thank you!

Heard that NOBODY is teaching ANATOMY. You need to study everything yourself. NO professors, NO TA, No Nothing. Study yourself, go and vomit in the exams. GREAt MSUCOM is charging >$8k (summer sem)as tution for this. You are on your own. What's going on? Why anu anybody has to pay tuition for this?

Students are directed in their study of prosected anatomical specimens by way of carefully-constructed laboratory guides and are assisted by experienced anatomy faculty and second-year student laboratory assistants.

Heard that NOBODY is teaching ANATOMY. You need to study everything yourself. NO professors, NO TA, No Nothing. Study yourself, go and vomit in the exams. GREAt MSUCOM is charging >$8k (summer sem)as tution for this. You are on your own. What's going on? Why anu anybody has to pay tuition for this?

That is objectively false.

Do you guys take anatomy by itself in the summer?
We took anatomy and biochem this summer, although not all of biochem is covered in the course. Much of it is covered in other courses.