2017-2018 Michigan State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are the pros and cons attending MSU?
Pros:
Med School

Cons:
Expensive relative to not attending med school

This is a very vague question, friend. What do you want specifically?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys have any suggestions for hotels nearby for the night before interview? Thanks!! (East Lansing Campus)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys have any suggestions for hotels nearby for the night before interview? Thanks!! (East Lansing Campus)
I stayed at the Residence Inn. Really nice accommodations and it's about a one minute car ride to the Radiology building so that eased my anxiety about traffic making me late!

Reactions: 1 user
I stayed at the Residence Inn. Really nice accommodations and it's about a one minute car ride to the Radiology building so that eased my anxiety about traffic making me late!
Yeah I'd like to stay there but it is slightly too expensive compared to Candlewood (where people said there are cockroaches and bed bugs?!)

Yeah I'd like to stay there but it is slightly too expensive compared to Candlewood (where people said there are cockroaches and bed bugs?!)
Understandable. I was able to redeem some reward points for my stay there so that helped. As for the Candlewood I am unfamiliar but that sounds horrible! Yikes!

when is the next review by the admission committee for interviewed applicants?

Scroll to the bottom and you'll see a list of call dates. Lately, Dr. Mauer has been calling the day, and before the date listed on the site. My guess is that they meet the day before he just calls directly afterwards. I literally have no idea though haha

Thanks for the quick response! Appreciate your help.

Anyone here scheduled for Feb interviews??

I really appreciate the letter Dr. Maurer just sent accepted applicants regarding Nassar's abuses and the culture at MSU. Just what I wanted to hear at a time when so much is crashing down at MSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Officially accepted! Good luck to everyone interviewing!

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome! Did you get waitlisted previously or did they take this long to get to you after the interview. October is quite a long time...
Oh I was given a conditional offer of acceptance back in November and just got a formal acceptance after my criminal background came back clear

Anyone hear back today? I interviewed on 1/15 and still waiting to hear back!

Interviewed 1/26 and i'm anxiously waiting! This has been one hell of a year and I pray this ends well for all of us! Wishing everyone a good luck. We all deserve to be doctors!

Interviewed 1/26 and i'm anxiously waiting! This has been one hell of a year and I pray this ends well for all of us! Wishing everyone a good luck. We all deserve to be doctors!
SAME! I am hoping we hear either this week or next week! the next day isn't until March. That wait would be horrendous :dead:

Anyone hear back today? I interviewed on 1/15 and still waiting to hear back!

I interviewed on December 4th and haven't heard back yet (though I know some people from my date did), so don't hold your breath too much! It may take some time :)

Just kidding, just accepted by Dr. Mauer!!! Interviewed 12/4 :) :) :)

Reactions: 4 users
Got a call last night from Dr. Mauer! :)

Referred to ABLE just now, 1/15 interview

Referred to ABLE Interviewed 1/26

Referred to ABLE just now, 1/15 interview

Did you guys get an email saying this or just portal change? Also, do you mind PMing your stats? (IF you are comfortable, of course!)

Edit: I think ABLE is a great program! It guarantees a spot in next years class, conditionally. And it is FREEEE!

Referred to ABLE as well. Interviewed 1/15.
Does anyone know how many applicants are referred to this program vs. how many are accepted?

Referred to ABLE, interviewed on 1/15. Does anyone know how big the ABLE class is? Sort of bummed out that we have to wait until June to know if we get into the program but still a positive, 1 step closer to become a doctor!

Last edited:
Did you guys get an email saying this or just portal change? Also, do you mind PMing your stats? (IF you are comfortable, of course!)

Edit: I think ABLE is a great program! It guarantees a spot in next years class, conditionally. And it is FREEEE!
Hol up, free? Damn.

(Got an e-mail)

Hol up, free? Damn.

(Got an e-mail)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Dr. Mauer said it's free and I think you get a stipend? (Don't quote me, haha). I really think it is a great opportunity. I am a neuroscience student here at MSU, and some people from ABLE were in my class, so they take pretty cool classes, too!

Planning on giving Dr. Lipscomb a call today as soon as I get off of work, to get as many details as I can. I know a current M1 who was part of the ABLE program as well, so I'm going to get all the insight I can.

I know it's not an acceptance, but honestly I'd love for this to work out!

Alternate list. 1/15 interview.
Planning on giving Dr. Lipscomb a call today as soon as I get off of work, to get as many details as I can. I know a current M1 who was part of the ABLE program as well, so I'm going to get all the insight I can.

I know it's not an acceptance, but honestly I'd love for this to work out!
If you could please post any information that your M1 friend or Dr. Lipscomb tells you, please make a post on here afterwards! I'd appreciate it. Im really curious as to how many applicants are referred vs accepted. I saw an earlier post that stated that 100 people are referred and only 10 are accepted and I think thats a huge group for a commit to look at and decline at the end of the day.

If you could please post any information that your M1 friend or Dr. Lipscomb tells you, please make a post on here afterwards! I'd appreciate it. Im really curious as to how many applicants are referred vs accepted. I saw an earlier post that stated that 100 people are referred and only 10 are accepted and I think thats a huge group for a commit to look at and decline at the end of the day.
I don't believe that they would recommend that many people for 10 spots. The number of students admitted to ABLE each year varies.

Hey all! Current ABLE student here. Just wanted to answer a few of the questions asked above. Tuition is paid for except for like a couple hundred dollars and they provide all of your books for you. You do not receive a stipend during the school year. During the summer, however, you are required to attend a 4-week program and they house you in Owen Hall on campus and you do get a weekly stipend for food during that time. I was a nontraditional applicant last year with an average MCAT and sub-par GPA so ABLE really was a saving grace for me. I really do feel like it's given me a great foundation to start M1 in the fall. If anyone any other questions, feel free to ask me!

Oh, also in my cohort there are 14 of us. I'm not sure how many were referred to the ABLE selection committee.

Hey all! Current ABLE student here. Just wanted to answer a few of the questions asked above. Tuition is paid for except for like a couple hundred dollars and they provide all of your books for you. You do not receive a stipend during the school year. During the summer, however, you are required to attend a 4-week program and they house you in Owen Hall on campus and you do get a weekly stipend for food during that time. I was a nontraditional applicant last year with an average MCAT and sub-par GPA so ABLE really was a saving grace for me. I really do feel like it's given me a great foundation to start M1 in the fall. If anyone any other questions, feel free to ask me!

Thank you for the information! What're we looking at in terms of the 'further application'? (Updates, essays?)

Also, when did you hear that you were accepted into the program was it in June or did you hear back earlier?

Does anyone know how many people are placed on the alternate list and if it is common to be accepted off of alternate list?

Hi, sorry to be bombarding you with questions, but I have a couple more.

What does the timeline of the program look like? For example, when were you notified that you were accepted, when did the program start, and when does the program end?
Additionally, did you have to submit more materials for the program such as a letter of interest or is there another interview for the program?

Thank you so much. All of the information you have provided already is very much appreciated:)

The application for ABLE consists of 4 600-word or less essays. There is no additional interview. They do make you wait until June 1st to find out. I was initially waitlisted for the program but found out like 2 weeks after that I got in. Fortunately I hadn't submitted my AMCAS for this cycle yet. Like I said previously, you are required to attend a 4-week Summer Institute on campus that they provide housing for and a weekly stipend for food. Then you are off until the start of the normal fall semester. Throughout the program, you take upper-level undergraduate courses in physio, neuro, biochem, and anatomy. These are accompanied with ABLE-specific courses including anatomy lab working with prosected cadavers. The program is complete after the end of the spring semester and you move on to matriculate into CHM assuming you maintain a 3.2 GPA during the ABLE year.

Does anyone know if MSU CHM sends formal acceptance letters in the mail? I never received anything and was accepted back in November...

Does anyone know if MSU CHM sends formal acceptance letters in the mail? I never received anything and was accepted back in November...
Not super helpful, but I was admitted at the same time and haven't gotten a thing.