General Admissions & OTCAS 2017-2018 MOT Texas applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nbot

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Just wanted to get the thread started for 2017-2018 admissions cycle for Texas applicants. Or in other words class of 2020! I applied to TTU, TWU, ACU, and UTMB. Have an interview with TTU on the 13th. The application deadline for the other programs got pushed back to October 15, so won't know about those for a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I’m applying to TWU, UTMB, UTHSCSA, ACU, and St. Augustine in Austin. This is my first time applying, so I’m super nervous and excited!

Hi,
I submitted my applications to TWU, UTEP, TTU & UTMB. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I have applied to TTU, TWU, UTSA, UTMB, UTEP, NSU(in FL), and TSU(in TN). I will be sure to update on here if I hear back from any where. Good luck to ALL!!!

Hello,
Just wanted to get the thread started for 2017-2018 admissions cycle for Texas applicants. Or in other words class of 2020! I applied to TTU, TWU, ACU, and UTMB. Have an interview with TTU on the 13th. The application deadline for the other programs got pushed back to October 15, so won't know about those for a bit.

I applied to Tech's MOT program a couple weeks ago! When did you submit your application? Good luck on your interview!

I applied to Tech's MOT program a couple weeks ago! When did you submit your application? Good luck on your interview!
I submitted mine in august but OTCAS was having issues with my transcripts so I don't think it actually got submitted until mid September. They take about a week to do an "initial review" of an application before even sending it to the admissions department for OT. After they submitted mine i heard back for an interview like 3 days later.

I have applied to TTU, TWU, UTMB, UTEP, ACU, OU and TSU (in TN)! was verified late September. Anyone willing to share their stats? Good luck everyone!

I have applied to TWU, UTMB, UTHSCSA, Tech, UTEP and St Augustine Austin, and this is my second time applying so fingers crossed this will be my year.
So far I have an interview scheduled with Texas Tech on 10/13. Good luck y'all!

I have applied to TTU, TWU, UTMB, UTEP, ACU, OU and TSU (in TN)! was verified late September. Anyone willing to share their stats? Good luck everyone!

I am willing to share my stats!!

Major: Kinesiology Wellness Management
PreReq GPA: 3.6-3.7 (depending on the school)
Overall GPA: 3.5
Last 60 hours: 3.7
GRE scores: Quant 150, Verbal 145, essay 3.5
Observation Hours: Around 500. I am currently working at an out-patient clinic as a therapy tech and have other observation hours from a skilled nursing facility, pediatric clinic, rehab hospital, and driving rehab center.
LOR's: From an OT I currently work with, a PT I work with, a principal I worked for 2 years under, and two other OT's.

This is my THIRD time applying. This time, I am applying to multiple schools rather than just one or two and am employed in the field as a therapy technician. I really hope that does the trick, because I am so ready to get accepted and graduate with the class of 2020!!!!

Last edited:
I have applied to TWU, UTMB, UTHSCSA, Tech, UTEP and St Augustine Austin, and this is my second time applying so fingers crossed this will be my year.

Good luck to you as well!!! If you don't mind sharing, what are some of your stats (GPA, LOR's, observation hours) and when did you submit your application to Tech?

Observation Hours: A little over 500 in an out-patient setting working as a therapy tech, skilled nursing facility, pediatric clinic, rehab hospital, and driving rehab center.
LOR's: From an OT I currently work with, a PT I work with, a principal I worked for 2 years under, and two other OT's.

This is my THIRD time applying. This time, I am applying to multiple schools rather than just one or two and am employed in the field as a therapy technician. I really hope that does the trick, because I am so ready to get accepted and graduate with the class of 2020!!!!
Wow your stats look very good!
GPA: 3.8
Pre-req gpa: Around a 3.87-3.9 I'm not sure the exact calculation
My gre scores were blah didn't study so I just did average.
Observation hours: I have 200 hours in 4 different settings
LOR's: I have four letters, two from OTs I shadowed, one from a professor, and one from my boss.
This is my first time applying. But with stats like yours I'm sure you will get in.

Sure!

Major: psychology
Overall GPA: 3.78
Pre-req: 3.3-3.6, depending on school
Gre: 149 quant, 157 verbal, 4.5 AWA
Observation: a little over 200 in pediatric, SNF, and hand clinic
Extras: captain of my college dance team, consecutive member of deans list, graduated Summa cum Laude, member of psi chi and alpha chi honor societies, TA for child development course
LOR’s: 2 from professors, 1 OT from pediatric clinic, and 1 from dance coach

This is my first time applying, I’m hoping for the best!!

Thanks everyone. Here is mine. First time applicant.
Major: Public Health
Overall GPA: 3.67
Last 60 GPA: 3.78
Pre-req: 3.3-3.6, depending on school
GRE- No great- I do not test well! Q141 V147 4
Observation: 40 VA Hospital (in and out patient), 80 pediatric (out patient), 40 Vanderbilt hospital (NICU, pediatric and special needs/CP camp)
Extras: Started a non-profit helping orphans in Guatemala and mission trips to Guatemala serving orphans and special needs children every year since I was 10 (80 plus hours per year), Chancellor's list, honor society, sorority, OT club, multiple college scholarships, Girl Scout Gold award, worked as a nanny the last 3 years while going to school full time
LOR: 1 Teacher, 1 OT and 1 from my employer I nanny for
Praying like crazy my GRE does not stop me from getting in!!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow your stats look very good!
GPA: 3.8
Pre-req gpa: Around a 3.87-3.9 I'm not sure the exact calculation
My gre scores were blah didn't study so I just did average.
Observation hours: I have 200 hours in 4 different settings
LOR's: I have four letters, two from OTs I shadowed, one from a professor, and one from my boss.
This is my first time applying. But with stats like yours I'm sure you will get in.

You have impressive stats yourself, especially for your first time applying! Thank you for sharing.
& Thank you so much for the confidence booster. This whole application process has been a long, life-changing journey for me. With every rejection, I felt devastated. I had to build up the courage and strength to continue to seek opportunities that were in line with my OT grad school goals. I am finally at a point where I feel 100% prepared and couldn't imagine starting an OT program without the experience I have now. I know whichever program I am accepted in will be well worth the hard work I have put into this process. :)

Good luck to everyone! For TWU, did anyone see on the OTCAS website that they ask to attach a personal statement however they didn't have any instructions on what they wanted to know so I just did what I thought they wanted. Also the statement of interest only allows few words!

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone! For TWU, did anyone see on the OTCAS website that they ask to attach a personal statement and also a statement of interest? When you guys applied did you have any trouble with these? I made two separate essays, did anyone else?
I wrote the statement of interest in the box provided, and mine was pretty short since they only allowed 750 characters. I attached my personal statement essay under "documents" in OTCAS. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user

How did your interview go yesterday?! Did you like Tech's campus and faculty?! I hope it went well for you! :)

How did your interview go yesterday?! Did you like Tech's campus and faculty?! I hope it went well for you!

How did your interview go yesterday?! Did you like Tech's campus and faculty?! I hope it went well for you!

It was great! Tech has a very relaxed interview and the campus/faculty are outstanding and hard to beat. Thank you, good luck to you in your application process!!

It was great! Tech has a very relaxed interview and the campus/faculty are outstanding and hard to beat. Thank you, good luck to you in your application process!!

Yay! Congrats! That is awesome. Did you write an essay at your interview?

Hello,

So from what I've gathered, does TTech interview on rolling basis? I just submitted my application and the deadline is 11/15.
I've also applied to UTMB,UTHSC, UTEP, and TTHSC

Also if anyone knows: Do you have to be "verified" by the application due date or just have the application submitted?

-Thanks in advance!

I've applied to UTMB, TWU (Houston), USA (Austin), and Midwestern (AZ).

I submitted my applications Oct 11th (much later than planned...) and am still waiting to get verified. Anyone know how backed up they are right now? I'm super worried that it's going to hurt my chances of acceptance for the schools with the Oct 15th deadline...

Last edited:
So from what I've gathered, does TTech interview on rolling basis? I just submitted my application and the deadline is 11/15.

Also if anyone knows: Do you have to be "verified" by the application due date or just have the application submitted?

-Thanks in advance!
From what I understand, it all depends on the school. I called both TWU and UTMB asking the same thing. I was told that as long as the application was submitted by the deadline then you would still be considered. I'm just worried that they'll start making decisions before getting verified myself.. I would definitely call the individual schools and ask though.

-Thanks in advance!
Tech is on a rolling basis. I was offered an interview the end of September last year and received an acceptance before the application deadline. And TWU, it has to be submitted. Things will be verified later. I just checked my email I sent last year to them. I'm in my first semester at TWU.

I called both OTCAS and TWU and as long as the application is submitted before the deadline without being verified, it's okay. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Reactions: 2 users
I had my interview with TTU this past friday and it was great! I loved all the faculty, the building, and the students I got to meet. The interview is very relaxed, they want you to do well. And yes they're on a rolling admission process!

Yay! Congrats! That is awesome. Did you write an essay at your interview?
Tech is a very laxed interview no essay. A group activity where they grade your thoughts and stuff but it is very relaxed. Don't stress it.

Hi guys. First time applicant and only applying to most of TX MOT programs.
I applied to TWU, Texas Tech, UTMB, UT San Antonio and UT El Paso. I completed all my applications for both OTCAS and the school websites within August 2017.

My stats:
Undergrad: Montclair State University
Bachelors degree: Exercise Science
GPA: 3.67
Pre-req GPA: 3.7-3.8
GRE: 1st V 145 Q 146 W 4
2nd V 148 Q 144 W 4 (below average :( but hopefully my other requirements are enough to get in)
Volunteer: 120 hours in different kinds of settings. Neuro, Pediatrics, Geriatrics, Outpatient and Inpatient.
Research: Obesity research in exercise science 1year, Biology bacteriophage research 2 years.
Internship: Cardiac Rehab exercise physiologist intern at a hospital 1year.
Certification: BLS, certificate of recognition from Sigma Xi Scientific Research
Extra: bio club, exercise science club, global medical brigades, special olympics NJ

So far, I only had a follow-up email from Texas Tech for an interview which will be on Dec. 8.
Do you guys know when TWU start emailing applicants for interviews?

Thank you for sharing your stats! I have applied to all of those schools as well. I read some of last year's thread and according to applicants last year we should hear something back in December.... Soo. Far. Awayyyy. :-( Did tech give you options for the interview date?

Tech is a very laxed interview no essay. A group activity where they grade your thoughts and stuff but it is very relaxed. Don't stress it.

Thank you for letting me know! Was it a group or individualized interview?

Thank you for sharing your stats! I have applied to all of those schools as well. I read some of last year's thread and according to applicants last year we should hear something back in December.... Soo. Far. Awayyyy. :-( Did tech give you options for the interview date?

Thanks for that insight. And yes Texas Tech did give me options for the interview. The first email that I got from them was an interview for nov. 10, but I couldn't reply sooner, so there were no more spots left. They then sent me another email with other date options, and I got confirmed for Dec. 8.

For those who applied to UTMB, what kind of course did you all match as the neurological basis for human behavior??????

For those who applied to UTMB, what kind of course did you all match as the neurological basis for human behavior??????
I'm currently finishing up a course called Biological Foundations in Psychology from University of Phoenix. It's only a five week online course, but ridiculously expensive...

Thanks for that insight. And yes Texas Tech did give me options for the interview. The first email that I got from them was an interview for nov. 10, but I couldn't reply sooner, so there were no more spots left. They then sent me another email with other date options, and I got confirmed for Dec. 8.
Thank you for sharing your stats! If you don’t mind me asking how soon did TTech contact you after you submitted you application?

Observation Hours: Around 500. I am currently working at an out-patient clinic as a therapy tech and have other observation hours from a skilled nursing facility, pediatric clinic, rehab hospital, and driving rehab center.

I'm so glad I'm not alone! This is also my third year applying. I've widened my search this year - applying to more out of state schools including TWU. I'm really really hoping for positive news this year, because this process has really tested my sanity!! Best of luck to you.

I'm so glad I'm not alone! This is also my third year applying. I've widened my search this year - applying to more out of state schools including TWU. I'm really really hoping for positive news this year, because this process has really tested my sanity!! Best of luck to you.

Thank you SO much! I'm glad to know I am not the only one on this forum who has applied 3+ times. This whole process has definitely tested my sanity/strength/faith as well, but I just know the best is yet to come! It will be for you, too! How many schools have you applied to this year so far?

Thank you for sharing your stats! If you don’t mind me asking how soon did TTech contact you after you submitted you application?
I submitted my TTech application on Aug 20 for OTCAS and the Merlin website. Then, I got contacted on 10/10.

So I finally got verified today! I can see my overall GPA, but I can't find where it states the calculated prereq GPA. Where am I suppose to see this? Or are we suppose to calculate that part ourselves?

Last edited:
Well... after stalking these threads for almost 2 years now, I can finally include my own stats! I just got verified today so I am crazy excited as well as a nervous wreck. I did 6 years in the military, so I unfortunately have minimal medical experience and couldn't get as involved in the academic life (research, study abroad, etc.) as a lot of people here. Regardless, I've given it my best and would really love some feedback so shoot me your thoughts/opinions. Thanks!!

University: Arizona State University
Major:
Psychology
Overall GPA:
Last 60 GPA: 4.0
Pre-Req GPA:
3.8-3.9
GRE:
152 V, 152 Q, Writing 4

Employment/Extra-Curric:
-
Navy: 6 years military service before returning to school.
-Horses Help Internship: Teaches adaptive horseback riding skills to individuals with various physical, cognitive, and behavioral disabilities.

Observation: (101hrs)
-
40hrs Inpatient Rehab Hospital
-3hrs elementary school
-15hrs high school
-20hrs equine therapy
-23hrs specialty outpatient clinic (driving rehab)

Volunteer: (221hrs)
-
Hurricane Harvey Shelter Volunteer (9hrs)
-ASU Disability Resource note taker (45hrs)
-Horses Help Volunteer (32hrs)
-Horses Help Internship (135hrs)

LOR: 2 OTs, 1 Internship Supervisor, 1 Professor (AP1), 1 Military Supervisor

Awards:
College- Deans List 2016 & 2017, Dr. Pepper Scholarship 2016
Military- Junior Sailor of the Year, Junior Sailor of the Quarter, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (x2), Distinguished Honor Grad (x3)

Applied: Texas Women’s University (Houston), University of Texas Medical Branch (Galveston), University of St. Augustine (Austin), Midwestern University (AZ).
*Might still apply to Northern Arizona University.

Acceptances:
Rejections:
Interviews:

Reactions: 2 users
Well... after stalking these threads for almost 2 years now, I can finally include my own stats! I just got verified today so I am crazy excited as well as a nervous wreck. I did 6 years in the military, so I unfortunately have minimal medical experience and couldn't get as involved in the academic life (research, study abroad, etc.) as a lot of people here. Regardless, I've given it my best and would really love some feedback so shoot me your thoughts/opinions. Thanks!!

University: Arizona State University
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.73
Last 60 GPA: 4.0
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8-3.9
GRE: 152 V, 152 Q, Writing 4

Employment/Extra-Curric:
-
Navy: 6 years military service before returning to school.
-Horses Help Internship: Teaches adaptive horseback riding skills to individuals with various physical, cognitive, and behavioral disabilities.

Observation: (101hrs)
-
40hrs Inpatient Rehab Hospital
-3hrs elementary school
-15hrs high school
-20hrs equine therapy
-23hrs specialty outpatient clinic (driving rehab)

Volunteer: (221hrs)
-
Hurricane Harvey Shelter Volunteer (9hrs)
-ASU Disability Resource note taker (45hrs)
-Horses Help Volunteer (32hrs)
-Horses Help Internship (135hrs)

LOR: 2 OTs, 1 Internship Supervisor, 1 Professor (AP1), 1 Military Supervisor

Awards:
College- Deans List 2016 & 2017, Dr. Pepper Scholarship 2016
Military- Junior Sailor of the Year, Junior Sailor of the Quarter, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (x2), Distinguished Honor Grad (x3)

Applied: Texas Women’s University (Houston), University of Texas Medical Branch (Galveston), University of St. Augustine (Austin), Midwestern University (AZ).
*Might still apply to Northern Arizona University.

Acceptances:
Rejections:
Interviews:

I think your stats look FANTASTIC! It seems to me like you will be invited to interviews. & With that military experience you should try to apply to UT Health in SA. I know one of the faculty members has military experience too, which may give you an advantage!

I think your stats look FANTASTIC! It seems to me like you will be invited to interviews. & With that military experience you should try to apply to UT Health in SA. I know one of the faculty members has military experience too, which may give you an advantage!
Thank you so much! I'm really hoping that the experience will at least make me more well-rounded since I don't have the medical background. I considered UTSA, but I think there was a prereq that they required that I didn't have and now they are closed up in OTCAS.

By the way, has anyone received the supplemental application from UTMB yet? I thought about calling to inquire about it, but I was worried that I might be jumping the gun a little.

I am a current student at UTMB and I also had to apply three years. Although it is discouraging, DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!!

This is my first time applying! I've submitted applications for UTMB and Texas Tech so far, and also plan to apply to OU, LSU, and CSU.

Has anyone heard back from UTMB about interviews yet? Or does anyone know about when we're supposed to start hearing back from them?
Also, if a school doesn't offer you an interview, will they email and let you know you're rejected? I got an email that Tech did a preliminary review of my application about a week ago, but I haven't heard back since. Good luck to everyone!!

My stats:
Undergrad: UT Austin
Bachelors degree: Human Development and Family Sciences
GPA: 4.0
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: V 169 Q 163 W 5.5
Volunteer: ~360
-- 270 neuro inpatient
-- 80 pediatrics
-- 10 hand therapy
Certification: BLS, CPI
LORs: 1 from OT, 1 from professor, & 1 from employer

Thank you so much! I'm really hoping that the experience will at least make me more well-rounded since I don't have the medical background. I considered UTSA, but I think there was a prereq that they required that I didn't have and now they are closed up in OTCAS.

By the way, has anyone received the supplemental application from UTMB yet? I thought about calling to inquire about it, but I was worried that I might be jumping the gun a little.

I got my supplemental application from OTCAS about a week after I submitted my OTCAS (first week of October). I bet it gets a little backed up after the official deadline though, since a ton of people are applying at one time. It may not be a bad idea to call though!

This is my first time applying! I've submitted applications for UTMB and Texas Tech so far, and also plan to apply to OU, LSU, and CSU.

Has anyone heard back from UTMB about interviews yet? Or does anyone know about when we're supposed to start hearing back from them?
Also, if a school doesn't offer you an interview, will they email and let you know you're rejected? I got an email that Tech did a preliminary review of my application about a week ago, but I haven't heard back since. Good luck to everyone!!

My stats:
Undergrad: UT Austin
Bachelors degree: Human Development and Family Sciences
GPA: 4.0
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: V 169 Q 163 W 5.5
Volunteer: ~360
-- 270 neuro inpatient
-- 80 pediatrics
-- 10 hand therapy
Certification: BLS, CPI
LORs: 1 from OT, 1 from professor, & 1 from employer
I got an email from UTMB today confirming my prerequisites and letting me know that we should hear something by December 3rd. We will either get an email saying we have been denied, or an interview invitation!

I got an email from UTMB today confirming my prerequisites and letting me know that we should hear something by December 3rd. We will either get an email saying we have been denied, or an interview invitation!

Thanks so much! When did you submit your application for UTMB? I submitted my supplemental app early October, but haven't gotten anything from them since.

Thanks so much! When did you submit your application for UTMB? I submitted my supplemental app early October, but haven't gotten anything from them since.
I submitted mine mid-August, so that might be why you haven’t gotten yours yet!

So OTCAS calculates the overall GPA. Does anyone know how the schools see the GPA's they require like the last 60 and the pre-reqs? I didn't see it on the application, or maybe I missed it in the PDF?

Has anyone else heard back from TTU? I applied in mid September and got an email 10/11 that they received everything and is under review. I haven't heard anything since then.