General Admissions & OTCAS 2017-2018 MOT Texas applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone going to Tech?
Me!!! We have a Facebook page if you want to join it! Just look up TTUHSC MOT Class of 2020 :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here got an email from Texas Woman's University that we have to register for classes on Tuesday 3/27? I am not sure what to do because they have another email sent previously that says we have to wait to register on July or August? I hope you can shed some light on my confusion. Thank you so much!

Is there anyone who has recently declined Texas Tech? I'm still on the waitlist and just trying to figure out if I have any chance of getting in!

Deciding between acu and St. Augustine! Anyone has any ideas or insights?

Hey, I also got accepted to St. Augustine. I don't have any insights from current students. But can only tell you my personal questions to take into account as I also am deciding. (I don't have any info on ACU)

St. Augustine: Mainly online curriculum and whether or not that is compatible to the type of student you are, higher tuition, higher living cost (Austin area), smaller campus, seems to be more availability for work study, close knitted cohorts, the current pending OTD status (if it applies to you).

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I also got accepted to St. Augustine. I don't have any insights from current students. But can only tell you my personal questions to take into account as I also am deciding. (I don't have any info on ACU)

St. Augustine: Mainly online curriculum and whether or not that is compatible to the type of student you are, higher tuition, higher living cost (Austin area), smaller campus, seems to be more availability for work study, close knitted cohorts, the current pending OTD status (if it applies to you).

I wish there was more info on ACU, I have called them and they’ve been very helpful but it’s still hard to decide!

Has anyone that has been accepted into University of St. Augustine for Fall 2018 received further instructions on what to do? Such as the deposit information and etc?

I am a current MOT student at St. Augustine (Austin) and would be willing to answer any questions you have. I started in January and so far have loved it. As with any program, there are going to be aspects you don't like or you disagree with. With USA, keep in mind the set up (online/hybrid) is very different from most other programs. This works for me, but may not be ideal for all.

Yes! I declined my offer for UTEP two days ago. Good luck! I hope you take my place.

Do you mind sharing what helped you make the decision to attend Tech versus UTEP? I am currently planning on attending UTEP but I just received my acceptance from Tech today so I'm just trying to weigh out my options..

Do you mind sharing what helped you make the decision to attend Tech versus UTEP? I am currently planning on attending UTEP but I just received my acceptance from Tech today so I'm just trying to weigh out my options..
Congrats on both of your acceptances! There are many reasons why I am choosing Tech over UTEP. First of all, I had a great experience at my interview. I felt comfortable with the professors and current students. Secondly, Tech's MOT program is ranked higher than UTEP's and it is 3 to 4k cheaper. In addition, I like the hands-on approach and the whole cadaver experience that Tech offers as part of their program. Lastly, location played a big factor too. Lubbock is 2.5 hours closer to my hometown and isn't bordering Mexico. Not that it's a bad thing, but I understand it would have been a lot different.

Good luck with whatever decision you choose.

I am a current MOT student at St. Augustine (Austin) and would be willing to answer any questions you have. I started in January and so far have loved it. As with any program, there are going to be aspects you don't like or you disagree with. With USA, keep in mind the set up (online/hybrid) is very different from most other programs. This works for me, but may not be ideal for all.

Could you tell me a little bit more about the online/hybrid learning? I feel like I would like and dislike parts of it. I’m a very visual and hands on person but i would like the freedom of being able to do my learning from home. Would you say because the classes are hybrid that students could potentially have a part time job? Also how is your experience with financial aid if you don’t mind sharing, I know they are one of the most expensive programs in TX, so it’s a little scary to think about that too.
Ps sorry it’s a lot of questions, but I appreciate it so much! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on both of your acceptances! There are many reasons why I am choosing Tech over UTEP. First of all, I had a great experience at my interview. I felt comfortable with the professors and current students. Secondly, Tech's MOT program is ranked higher than UTEP's and it is 3 to 4k cheaper. In addition, I like the hands-on approach and the whole cadaver experience that Tech offers as part of their program. Lastly, location played a big factor too. Lubbock is 2.5 hours closer to my hometown and isn't bordering Mexico. Not that it's a bad thing, but I understand it would have been a lot different.

Good luck with whatever decision you choose.

Thank you so much! Tech is closer to me as well.. and I did really love the interview experience. Hard to make that comparison without knowing much about UTEPs program. All very good reasons that I do agree with myself.
I have decided to make moves on Tech and will be declining my spot at UTEP in case anyone is waiting to hear back!

Very excited about this decision! Thanks again!

Thank you so much! Tech is closer to me as well.. and I did really love the interview experience. Hard to make that comparison without knowing much about UTEPs program. All very good reasons that I do agree with myself.
I have decided to make moves on Tech and will be declining my spot at UTEP in case anyone is waiting to hear back!

Very excited about this decision! Thanks again!
Yay! That's awesome. Check out our FB page. TTUHSC mot class of 2020 :)

See you in May!

Hello All! Has anyone come across a Twu Dallas MOT class of 2020 facebook page?

Hi all!

This is kind of an off-topic question. So I am planning on applying for this year's (2018) cycle to essentially most of the Texas OT programs. In regards to interview scheduling, how flexible are the admissions teams? I am planning on going out of town from Jan12th -Jan 18th. Will it look bad if I were to try to reschedule an interview (in the circumstance that I receive one) due to the fact that I will be out of town?

Thanks!

Hi all!

This is kind of an off-topic question. So I am planning on applying for this year's (2018) cycle to essentially most of the Texas OT programs. In regards to interview scheduling, how flexible are the admissions teams? I am planning on going out of town from Jan12th -Jan 18th. Will it look bad if I were to try to reschedule an interview (in the circumstance that I receive one) due to the fact that I will be out of town?

Thanks!
Hi! Straight up answer, yes...in my opinion, it would look bad if you asked to reschedule an interview. However, that shouldn’t stop you. If your reason is good enough, and they feel like it’s something beyond your control, then you would be in luck. Bear in mind that people come from other states for these interviews too...I went from Ohio to Dallas, so asking to reschedule because you’ll be out of town might not be a good look. However, I think most schools would tell you in the interview invite that you do not have the option to reschedule. Some others may offer multiple dates and you can pick which suits you best. I would advise that you make yourself available on the date they schedule you, though. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! Straight up answer, yes...in my opinion, it would look bad if you asked to reschedule an interview. However, that shouldn’t stop you. If your reason is good enough, and they feel like it’s something beyond your control, then you would be in luck. Bear in mind that people come from other states for these interviews too...I went from Ohio to Dallas, so asking to reschedule because you’ll be out of town might not be a good look. However, I think most schools would tell you in the interview invite that you do not have the option to reschedule. Some others may offer multiple dates and you can pick which suits you best. I would advise that you make yourself available on the date they schedule you, though. Good luck!
100% agree with this!

Thank you for your response! What was the time frame in which you were notified of your interview invitation? Is it based on time of application or is there a set date for application responses to come out? I am planning on applying as soon as the applications open, in mid-July!

Last edited:
Hello All! Has anyone come across a Twu Dallas MOT class of 2020 facebook page?
I have not yet but have been trying to find one! keep me updated if you find one!

I was just accepted off the alternate list at Tech, but I declined it. So be on the lookout and answer calls from Lubbock bc someone else will be called soon!

I found out a few days ago that I was accepted off the waitlist for Tech, however I got accepted to TWU Denton as well a few months ago and will be going there instead. Best of luck to everyone!

I’m super excited about applying to OT school, but my only issue is that I can’t relocate which sucks! The schools I’m looking at are TWU (Houston), UTMB, and St. Augustine (Austin). I was wondering will anyone who got accepted into the listed OT schools share their stats?

Hello! Just wondering if there is a facebook group for the ACU Master of OT program fall of 2018?

I’m super excited about applying to OT school, but my only issue is that I can’t relocate which sucks! The schools I’m looking at are TWU (Houston), UTMB, and St. Augustine (Austin). I was wondering will anyone who got accepted into the listed OT schools share their stats?
Sure...
I got accepted to TWU (Houston). Class '20
GPA: cummulative 3.66
Prereq GPA: 3.7-3.8 depends on school
Volunteer hours: 120 in 4 different settings outpatient and inpatient

Anyone declining staying on the waitlist for TWU?

How many OT programs is a good amount to apply to ?
I think that really depends on your stats and how well you are with interviews. I applied to 6 schools, interviewed at 3 (one didn’t require an interview), turned down an interview offer bc I got into a better school already, and have been accepted to 3. I’m on the waitlist for TWU still. I mean, the more you apply to the better chances you have at getting in somewhere. The only downside to applying to more places is the amount of money you spend on applications. If that isn’t a factor for you, then I say apply to as many as you can. If you don’t mind taking a chance of getting in and waiting a year to apply again then I guess it’s not a huge deal on how many you apply to. That wasn’t an option for myself. It all just really depends on you!

I’m super excited about applying to OT school, but my only issue is that I can’t relocate which sucks! The schools I’m looking at are TWU (Houston), UTMB, and St. Augustine (Austin). I was wondering will anyone who got accepted into the listed OT schools share their stats?[/QUOTE
Hello!
I'll be attending TWU Denton Class of 2020.
Cumulative GPA: 3.68
Pre Req GPA: 4.0
Volunteer hours: Around 150 at a therapeutic riding center as well as a hospital.
Shadowing hours: 90 in both pediatric and inpatient and outpatient settings.

Good luck to you during your application process!

How many OT programs is a good amount to apply to ?
Hi. So when I spoke with an OT advisor during my undergrad she told me that I needed to at least apply to 5 and that only applying to 1 or 2 was a bad idea. Well, I didn't have pre reqs for some of the schools in Texas and really had my heart set on either Tech or TWU so I ended up only applying to those 2 schools and got accepted to both programs. So, in my opinion it's all about what you think is best for you!

Hi. So when I spoke with an OT advisor during my undergrad she told me that I needed to at least apply to 5 and that only applying to 1 or 2 was a bad idea. Well, I didn't have pre reqs for some of the schools in Texas and really had my heart set on either Tech or TWU so I ended up only applying to those 2 schools and got accepted to both programs. So, in my opinion it's all about what you think is best for you!

Hello! I'm applying to three schools as well (TWU, UTHSCSA, and UTMB) I'm interested to know about the average for the GRE score or if it was weighed heavily within the application process and if their was an interview process how did that go?

I applied for the last 2017-2018 cycle and got interviews for Tech, UTHSCSA, and St. Aug and I was waitlisted.
Would anyone mind sharing their stats and any tips in terms of what they think made themselves more competitive? Or any tips that they think certain universities are looking for?

I am taking my GRE again to increase my score and will be applying this 2018-2019 round. I just wanted to be sure I didn't overlook anything!

Thanks in advance :)

Just got an offer from UTMB today and had to decline it. I wish everyone luck!

Just got off the waitlist for TWU Dallas this morning. I’m going to decline it. So good luck to those still waiting to hear from them!

Hello! I'm applying to three schools as well (TWU, UTHSCSA, and UTMB) I'm interested to know about the average for the GRE score or if it was weighed heavily within the application process and if their was an interview process how did that go?
Hello, so I do not remember my exact scores for the GRE but I definitley didn't score as high as I would have hoped considering the amount of time I spent studying for the test. I ended up getting into both TWU and Tech however so I don't think it was weighed as heavily as some of the other factors such as your pre req GPA, shadowing hours, etc. But, I would still study and do your best on the GRE because it will only make your application stand out more. Hope I helped!

Hi, I initially got waitlisted to all 3 places I applied to (TWU Houston, UTMB and ACU). However eventually I got accepted into all 3. I am going to go to TWU in the fall. I got a 154 in both of the sections in the GRE as well as a 4 on the writing portion. I had about 150 total hours of observation in two separate settings (50 at an outpatient hospital clinic and 100 at a pediatric clinic). I think they do not worry too much about the GRE as long as you score in a decent range. The interview process at TWU was...interesting. It was similar to speed dating, (we also had a small essay and a group interview to see how we interacted with others) and I do think that held a lot of weight as far as their process. UTMB I feel went a lot more smoothly. It was an individual interview with faculty, a group interview, and you got to talk a lot with the current students. I honestly feel that the interview process didn’t mean as much at UTMB, and that they were a little more focused on stats and how well you did in school because they are an accelerated program. Hope that helps!

I applied for the last 2017-2018 cycle and got interviews for Tech, UTHSCSA, and St. Aug and I was waitlisted.
Would anyone mind sharing their stats and any tips in terms of what they think made themselves more competitive? Or any tips that they think certain universities are looking for?

I am taking my GRE again to increase my score and will be applying this 2018-2019 round. I just wanted to be sure I didn't overlook anything!

Thanks in advance :)
I would try and get more hours in observation! I would say to get a more diverse group of settings (because that’s what I was always told), but I only had 2 settings. I would try to get a lot of hours in a setting that you really enjoy, and gear your essay towards that. I think having a lot of hours in one setting would show them that you enjoy that setting a lot, and that you worked well with the OT’s enough that enjoyed teaching you for so long. Those are just a few suggestions. Good luck!
P.S. I’m not sure how many hours you had, but I had 100 in a specific setting, and I feel like they liked to see that. And it also wasn’t my only experience. Also, getting to know your OT that well will probably make the letter they write for you that much better.

I would try and get more hours in observation! I would say to get a more diverse group of settings (because that’s what I was always told), but I only had 2 settings. I would try to get a lot of hours in a setting that you really enjoy, and gear your essay towards that. I think having a lot of hours in one setting would show them that you enjoy that setting a lot, and that you worked well with the OT’s enough that enjoyed teaching you for so long. Those are just a few suggestions. Good luck!
P.S. I’m not sure how many hours you had, but I had 100 in a specific setting, and I feel like they liked to see that. And it also wasn’t my only experience. Also, getting to know your OT that well will probably make the letter they write for you that much better.
Thank you for the advice! I'm currently working with special education in the schools since that's what I'm passionate about. I have 100+ hours in various settings because that's what my undergraduate university stressed, but you have a very good point! I'm hoping that this position will help me but i'm also hoping to volunteer outside of work as well. What schools did you find you applied to that liked a emphasis in one area?

Sure...
I got accepted to TWU (Houston). Class '20
GPA: cummulative 3.66
Prereq GPA: 3.7-3.8 depends on school
Volunteer hours: 120 in 4 different settings outpatient and inpatient
Do you know the average GRE scores for the people that got accepted into TWU? Or could you share yours? Mine are not too high and I am afraid that will cause for a rejection

For those of you that interviewed at any of the TWU campuses, I'm really curious about the TWU interview in January! Can anyone give a general idea of what to expect? I haven't had an interview with a writing portion so I'm just wondering what that would look like? Thanks!

For those of you that interviewed at any of the TWU campuses, I'm really curious about the TWU interview in January! Can anyone give a general idea of what to expect? I haven't had an interview with a writing portion so I'm just wondering what that would look like? Thanks!
I’m also wondering about the writing portion!

Last year they gave us two topics and we chose either and wrote a short paragraph about an experience of that topic. I think the topics were explain a time that you were grateful or you forgave someone. I can't remember exactly, but it was easy.

Reactions: 2 users
Last year they gave us two topics and we chose either and wrote a short paragraph about an experience of that topic. I think the topics were explain a time that you were grateful or you forgave someone. I can't remember exactly, but it was easy.
Thank you!!

just received an invite for TWU today for 1/11 at 11:30.. stressed about traveling there solo! if anyone can recommend their favorite sites for car rentals..if the tour starts at 11:30, I will be able to catch a flight that same night by 8, right?

cool. I got an interview for Texas tech the following week so ill be staying down there for a good length of time. for the TWU interview, after the essay portion, do you discuss your response with the group or do you just answer a prompt and thats it? so nervous for these interviews! do you have any recollection of yours? any crazy patient/scenario questions?

perfect! how exactly do I find that thread? I'm fairly new to using this forum