2017-2018 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Been complete since 10/31, still waiting to hear back.

Members don't see this ad.

There isn’t a “push,” and nobody here is by any means attempting to coerce you into going into primary care. Not only would that be unethical but it would be illogical. Primary care is in dire need, yes, but I’d ask you what good is a doctor going to bring patients who despises the field they work in? Who felt forced into it instead of it being a desire of theirs?

At worst, they may try to highlight the positive aspects of primary care (there are many aspects, known and unknown, mind you). But if you are worried about even that at all then they are in no way forcing anything onto us students. If anything they are providing a ton of opportunities for us to explore other specialties - moreso than primary care in my opinion. I am pretty sure I have three specialty interest groups meeting this week with board-certified speakers.

As was said before, YOU dictate what field you go into (even with boards, which YOU dictate a lot of how well you prepare and perform). You schedule your in rotations, audition rotations, you file your ERAS and go to your interviews, and you have all the power over the result (at least so far as how hard you work). Too high of a percentage of individuals match into their specialty of choice, and even in their top three ranks, for me to believe that any school is “forcing” a career path onto anyone. I hope that seems reassuring to anyone reading this.

I hope my wording doesn’t come across as confrontational. I just believe there are a lot in the way of misnomers and misunderstanding with mission statements and whatnot. I completely believe in everything this school stands for: preparing qualified, competent, empathetic physicians who are ready and able to help people in need. That is not a limiting statement. Primary care is not necessarily my top choice and I see that in our daily tasks and interactions.

EDIT:
For what it is worth, a school can accomplish a goal of providing excellent primary care physicians for an underserved area without producing 120 in each class. If statistics hold, just by being here they can possibly produce an average of like 100 every 2-3 years for the Delta. They should statistically accomplish their goal as outlined in the mission statements just by existing and graduating students, so there really isn’t a need to “push” students into a field. I do believe that many students overlook primary care as a very viable option for practicing medicine and living a wonderful life outside of the office. Making students aware of all fields of medicine, their perks, and their challenges is (or should be) a primary goal of every medical school.

Thank you this post was very helpful.

Current students, what apartment complexes do most students live in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Who would we address an update letter to? Thanks for the info!
I guess you could just address it to Admissions Committee or "To whom it may concern" with Update Letter as the subject email

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an interview offer for the Jonesboro campus!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed at the Old Westbury campus yesterday and it was very very different (in a bad way) than the other interviews I have been on. For starters, some of the staff seemed very rude and did not want to be there, especially the financial aid lady. The Dean randomly came to give us a talk, but he was a jerk- I guess one can expect that from a Dean. The student ambassadors were amazing, but very unorganized haha.

My interviewer was a DO and I did not feel like it was an interview. Others had roughly a 20-25 minute interview and had a great experience from what they told me. The DO who interviewed me and 3 other people spent about 10-15 minutes on our interview. I was concerned with the length of my interview time, so I decided to keep track on how long people spent with the DO I mentioned.

I am pretty disappointed because I came to the open house last year and everyone was very happy and nice! I do not know what went wrong...maybe it was just a stressful day.

II this morning! Anyone who interviewed can you give me some tips/ tell me how it was? PM if you wanna keep it private, id appreciate it

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed at the Old Westbury campus yesterday and it was very very different (in a bad way) than the other interviews I have been on. For starters, some of the staff seemed very rude and did not want to be there, especially the financial aid lady. The Dean randomly came to give us a talk, but he was a jerk- I guess one can expect that from a Dean. The student ambassadors were amazing, but very unorganized haha.

My interviewer was a DO and I did not feel like it was an interview. Others had roughly a 20-25 minute interview and had a great experience from what they told me. The DO who interviewed me and 3 other people spent about 10-15 minutes on our interview. I was concerned with the length of my interview time, so I decided to keep track on how long people spent with the DO I mentioned.

I am pretty disappointed because I came to the open house last year and everyone was very happy and nice! I do not know what went wrong...maybe it was just a stressful day.

Would you mind sharing what you mean by the dean was a jerk? I found him pretty inspiring at my interview day.

Interviewed 11/3 & just got acceptance email!!! (Jonesboro)

Members don't see this ad :)
This makes me feel better. Complete 9/28 and only got an email saying I was still under review. Now sure if that's a bad or good thing!

I got that email too! It made me excited but then it was just informing me I'm still being considered. Meh.

Would you mind sharing what you mean by the dean was a jerk? I found him pretty inspiring at my interview day.
Our boy Gilliar can swing very rapidly between being a great guy and a bit of a dingus, it takes a few meetings with him to get the full picture of the man.

I am interviewing in Old Westbury tomorrow!! Can anyone please PM me with their interview experience here?! I’d really like to know what questions you were asked, and how the overall vibe was. Nyitcom is my top choice so any help is extremely appreciated!

Hey to everyone who has gotten an II at A State. I just recently got an II myself and I am looking to gain some intel. How was the interview day like? The interview themselves? Any curve ball questions? I heard that the address on the email is not the correct one. Is this true? I am very excited about this offer. This is my only II so far into the application year and I am looking forward to see what NYITCOM at A State is all about! Thanks.

anyone know the ratio of interview to acceptance?

I am interviewing in Old Westbury tomorrow!! Can anyone please PM me with their interview experience here?! I’d really like to know what questions you were asked, and how the overall vibe was. Nyitcom is my top choice so any help is extremely appreciated!

Last edited:
Today... a year ago... acceptances were recieved! WHERE ARE THOSE EMAILS FROM OCTOBER!

Hey to everyone who has gotten an II at A State. I just recently got an II myself and I am looking to gain some intel. How was the interview day like? The interview themselves? Any curve ball questions? I heard that the address on the email is not the correct one. Is this true? I am very excited about this offer. This is my only II so far into the application year and I am looking forward to see what NYITCOM at A State is all about! Thanks.
you going dec 1? if so ill see u there boss!

Interview day was nice. Standard stuff: you get a little explanation about the school, campus tour, OMM demonstration etc. plenty of time to ask questions. You are broken into small groups. Interview was casual, a mixture of conversation and stereotypical interview question eye-rollers. (“Why do you want to be a D.O.?” Et al.)

I was surprised at how many of us there were on one interview day. Very disheartening. I’m curious how many they interview vs. accept.

Any westbury october interviewees hear back yet?

Interviewed early Oct and nothing so far.

I was told by Adcoms 6-8 weeks... Christmas at the latest. Hopefully they arrive soon!

Anyone know if we'll hear first via phone, email, or snail mail?

I was told by Adcoms 6-8 weeks... Christmas at the latest. Hopefully they arrive soon!

Hmm could be either email or snail mail...haven’t heard of anyone being accepted by phone

It's a nice day. They ask typical questions. Nothing curve ball. It was a good day is all I can really say.

Is the 6-8 week standard to hear back for everyone or is that just for A state?

A state gets back faster. 6 to 8 seems to be for OW

You get an email first and then the official letter days later in the mail.

Accepted just now by email to Old Westbury! I interviewed October 4th.

Last edited:
Accepted just now as well! Interview at OW on Oct 3rd!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted, 10/3, most likely matriculating

Reactions: 2 users
ACCEPTED AT OLD WESTBURY CAMPUS!!!! I interviewed on Friday the 13th ;)

Accepted at Old Westbury campus!!! Interviewed on 10/6

Is it too late in the application cycle for me to apply now? LM ~68, 513 MCAT, OOS, ORM

Just got accepted!! Interviewed on Oct 24!!!!!! Mostly gonna go here!!!

Just got accepted!! Interviewed on Oct 24!!!!!! Mostly gonna go here!!!

Awesome! Congratulations!

That gives me hope that I may still get accepted from my 11/3 interview. :)

Accepted old westbury, interviewed 10/3!!!

don't let it get you down , OW sends out an initial surge of acceptances from the prior month and more trickle down in the next couple of weeks
So how long does it usually takes to get an interview invite from secondary date here?

I still haven't heard back from my 10/20 interview in Jonesboro. What do I do? I thought it went well! I know some people say it can take up to 7 weeks. Is there anything I should do?

So how long does it usually takes to get an interview invite from secondary date here?
no clue about jonesboro, but OW got back to me in 3 weeks from my complete date, my secondary was submitted on 7/14 but committee letter took a while and was submitted on 9/8, was complete on 9/11

No news here yet, interviewed at OW in mid-October

I still haven't heard back from my 10/20 interview in Jonesboro. What do I do? I thought it went well! I know some people say it can take up to 7 weeks. Is there anything I should do?
I interviewed in August and didn’t hear back until October. Relax it’s going to be okay

interviewed at OW on 9/22. haven't heard back yet. seeing some people with interviews in October heard back from there today. time to assume it's a no? call them?