2017-2018 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just interviewed at Jonesboro today. Was a super casual interview. Fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed at OW on 9/28, currently 7 weeks since the interview. Still waiting to hear back and hoping for some good news, but can’t help feeling worried since people from later dates got accepted today. Fingers crossed for good news!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who were accepted today (11/17):

Has anyone tried to activate NYITConnect to make deposit to confirm enrollment? I tried to create account using the NYIT ID # on the email that I got today, but says can't match record. anyone else have this issue?

submitted my tuition deposit ($1500) a few days ago b/c i still haven't heard a decision from my top school yet. just got an email about the background check that has like a $120 fee or something like that, and they told me i have 10 days to do it. question is, if i don't hear from my top school in that time, how much does it matter if i haven't done the background check by that time? anyone else in the same boat as me?

submitted my tuition deposit ($1500) a few days ago b/c i still haven't heard a decision from my top school yet. just got an email about the background check that has like a $120 fee or something like that, and they told me i have 10 days to do it. question is, if i don't hear from my top school in that time, how much does it matter if i haven't done the background check by that time? anyone else in the same boat as me?

I submitted my tuition deposit on 11/14, but have not gotten anything about a background check... When did you receive this email? Was this sent to your NYIT email?
I am in a similar boat. The immunizations record situation is a little stressful because I am also waiting to hear back from other schools. But I guess I have to continue with the process because I cannot ensure I'll get in to the other ones.

I submitted my tuition deposit on 11/14, but have not gotten anything about a background check... When did you receive this email? Was this sent to your NYIT email?
I am in a similar boat. The immunizations record situation is a little stressful because I am also waiting to hear back from other schools. But I guess I have to continue with the process because I cannot ensure I'll get in to the other ones.

Yea I mean I get all this money is going into something as valuable as reserving a seat into medical school, but it's really starting to hurt :/ I doubt they would rescind our acceptance though if we're late on our background check and immunizations though right? Or am I assuming wrong? We already spent 1.5k lol.

I got the background check email in my regular email a couple days after submitting my tuition deposit.

Yea I mean I get all this money is going into something as valuable as reserving a seat into medical school, but it's really starting to hurt :/ I doubt they would rescind our acceptance though if we're late on our background check and immunizations though right? Or am I assuming wrong? We already spent 1.5k lol.

I got the background check email in my regular email a couple days after submitting my tuition deposit.
did the background check require a 7 digit student ID?

where do we find that ID?

Hey guys, I've been trying to dig through the threads to find what the interview format was for NYITCOM Jonesboro and what else to expect on interview day?

Thank you so much in advance

Hey guys, I've been trying to dig through the threads to find what the interview format was for NYITCOM Jonesboro and what else to expect on interview day?

It is a 30 minute interview. Some lasted about 15 minutes. My interview was about 20 minutes. It was more of a conversation. I was asked specific stuff from my application. How would I describe what is a do to someone that never heard it before. Everyone was super nice and the interview was not intense.

Interviewed 10/6 at OW and silence... I'm guessing this means I was rejected?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the "NYIT: Secrets to a successful med school application" email. I had my interview earlier this month and this makes me feel like I did something wrong lol

Reactions: 7 users

They asked general questions such as why DO? Tell me about yourself? and a few questions about your application in detail. The interview lasted about 20 minutes and was not to bad. Although I was very nervous- Interview day: 1) They separate you into groups 2) Tour school 3) Interview

I just got the "NYIT: Secrets to a successful med school application" email. I had my interview earlier this month and this makes me feel like I did something wrong lol
Lol I thought they were taking back my II for next week

HaHa i received the same email... I interviewed earlier this month as well

I got that email as well and was accepted so I think it's just a mass blast email haha

Reactions: 1 user
They asked general questions such as why DO? Tell me about yourself? and a few questions about your application in detail. The interview lasted about 20 minutes and was not to bad. Although I was very nervous- Interview day: 1) They separate you into groups 2) Tour school 3) Interview
So it was just one interviewer? 1 on 1?

For the current students at the AState location, how did you go about finding a potential roommate?

Congrats to those that got accepted!
I was complete 9/10, still no II yet. Anyone have similar stats to me that got an II/and accepted?
OOS (chicago), cGPA 3.2, sGPA 2.95, MCAT 508
tons of clinical exp. and extra curricular leadership.
You haven't received a secondary application? I would contact admissions if that's the case. As for being accepted, my grades were a few points above yours 3.4 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA with a 501 MCAT (25 old) with 5 years of clinical experience and no extracurriculars. I was waitlisted and accepted 2 weeks before the beginning of the school year. Don't give up.

You haven't received a secondary application? I would contact admissions if that's the case. As for being accepted, my grades were a few points above yours 3.4 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA with a 501 MCAT (25 old) with 5 years of clinical experience and no extracurriculars. I was waitlisted and accepted 2 weeks before the beginning of the school year. Don't give up.

II= Interview Invite

Accepted on 10/16 to Old Westbury! (interviewed 9/27) GPA 3.73, MCAT 505.

I'm curious if any other accepted students have applied to the case-based track (and if you did, have you received a response)?

Interviewed here 10/10, still haven't heard anything besides the troll emails mentioned above. I guess I wasn't in the batch last week

I had my interview on 11/17. It went really well, and it was great to see the awesome faculty and students. Looking forward to hearing from them! Does anyone know the post-interview stats?
I interviewed the same day. I haven't heard anything yet. Fingers crossed

Last edited:
So I am just completing my secondary application (feel like I am super late in the cycle) but it asks me to choose a campus. Just wondering if I put down I don't mind either campus, would both campuses consider my application and get invited for interview to both? Will picking either increase my chances? Also, seems like everyone is liking Jonesboro campus but does anyone has anything good to say about Old Westbury? Any reason to pick Old Westbury over Jonesboro? I am thinking maybe more research centres at Old Westbury. Sorry for all the questions. Thank you!

Last edited:
So I am just completing my secondary application (feel like I am super late in the cycle) but it asks me to choose a campus. Just wondering if I put down I don't mind either campus, would both campuses consider my application and get invited for interview to both? Will picking either increase my chances? Also, seems like everyone is liking Jonesboro campus but does anyone has anything good to say about Old Westbury? Any reason to pick Old Westbury over Jonesboro? I am thinking maybe more research centres at Old Westbury. Sorry for all the questions. Thank you!

I don't think picking a specific campus automatically puts you in a better position of getting an II. I think it most depends on your reason as to why you chose that specific campus (like you said - you were impressed by the research centers at Old Westbury). Some people talk about location (being close to your native place/family, proximity to the city and how it will mold you in to a great physician, etc).

I heard Jonesboro is looking for students who are interested in practicing in that area since their mission is to improve the healthcare of that region. This was one of the many reasons as to why they opened the school down there.

I'm an OMSI at Jonesboro and if any of y'all have any questions feel free to PM

I don't think picking a specific campus automatically puts you in a better position of getting an II. I think it most depends on your reason as to why you chose that specific campus (like you said - you were impressed by the research centers at Old Westbury). Some people talk about location (being close to your native place/family, proximity to the city and how it will mold you in to a great physician, etc).

I heard Jonesboro is looking for students who are interested in practicing in that area since their mission is to improve the healthcare of that region. This was one of the many reasons as to why they opened the school down there.

I was just thinking maybe if I pick either I will be considered for both campus instead of just picking Old Westbury. Yeah, fair enough. I wonder if you pick either would they decide for you what campus you suits best. At the end of the day, both campuses are great and have their own advantages.

Sorry man, wouldn't hold your breath for next week. I haven't heard back yet and I interviewed 10/25. Maybe 2 weeks though?
agreed, some October decisions are still waiting, if anything I would bank on right before Christmas

Did anyone else interview at Jonesboro 11/3 and not hear anything back yet? I know some people heard back in like a week and half after the interview. I know I'm being really impatient; I just really liked this school!

I interviewed on 11/17 at Jonesboro, and my interviewer said before Christmas.

Is there an accepted students group on facebook or something yet ?

If anyone is on the fence about applying to Jonesboro campus I recommend you to do so! I had my interview yesterday and I was blown away by the resources they have in their college and the amenities they share with A state. It sounds like the administration has been working their butt off on getting all their hospitals for rotations within a hour from Jonesboro. I feel that most schools would have just sent the students to the NY sites because of only opening a couple years ago. After hearing this and from what the med students told me, it seems the administration is really putting the students first which makes me feel comfortable because I know some schools just treat it as a way to make money. The curriculum is the exact same from the one in Old Westbury and so the success there will be translated at Jonesboro. Jonesboro is a typical southern college town so there is plenty stuff to do and eat, but it definitely not urban if that is your style. They also have many certifications you will graduate with, one being telemedicine (first school in the country to do so). I just wanted to share this with all the creepers on SDN who just read posts because most of the time that me haha, and kinda clarify some of these rumors of the school. So I recommend you guys to apply there. Just don't steal my (not offered to me yet) seat. hahhaha

I faintly recall them saying Dec 5. at the latest for the 10/10 interview date. I could be crazy though. That would be a full 8 weeks of waiting.

Just called admissions to ask about October interview decisions...they said they can't give an exact timeline unfortunately. Also asked about sending update letters; we can send them to comadm@ nyit.edu.

When you asked them about updates, did you ask about non-academic updates?

When you asked them about updates, did you ask about non-academic updates?
No, usually when you send an update letter it doesn’t matter whether it’s academic or non-academic, as long as it’s a major change. For example, a huge jump in your GPA vs a publication (non-academic)

Hoping for some good post-interview news this week, it’s week 7...

Reactions: 2 users
has anyone got accepted to this school? my friend interviewed a month and a half ago and so did my brother.. curious as to see how long it takes this school to make decisions

has anyone got accepted to this school? my friend interviewed a month and a half ago and so did my brother.. curious as to see how long it takes this school to make decisions

Idk, they are really fishhooking themselves by waiting this long to respond.

I was accepted on October 27th in Old Westbury. Interview was September 5th

I’ll be withdrawing my acceptance to this school. Hope it goes to one of ya’ll!

I’ll be withdrawing my acceptance to this school. Hope it goes to one of ya’ll!
I'll gladly take it lol! Interviewed Dec 1, hoping to hear some great news before Christmas break (fingers crossed)!