2017-2018 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,

I will be attending NYITCOM-AR this fall. I will also be bringing my SO with me. He has looked at the job market in Jonesboro and it seems kind of rough. As a compromise, I was thinking of living in Memphis and commuting to Jonesboro. However, I wanted to know about the weekly schedule before doing that. How many days a week do you have to be on campus? I know from my undergrad and grad experiences I am not a person who attends class and I like to learn at my own pace (via video). But I know there are also many labs/seminars throughout the week. What is mandatory to come to for the first year? For second year? I would appreciate your insight.

During my first semester of OMSI, I had lab 3 days a week. Anatomy twice a week (3 hours each). OMM and DPR once a week (4 hours in total). You usually have 3 lectures 4 days a week. You have to attend lab. You can have 2 unexcused absences but I attended everything to make sure I leave a good impression. You never know who you'll ask a rec from. After the first semester we started having CBL (case base learning) lab instead of Anatomy, which is nice because it means lab twice a week.

Second year I have lab two days a week. OMM + CBL on one day and DPR lab. The nice thing is instead of having DPR lab every single week, sometimes we have it once or twice a month. Instead they schedule us for standardized patient encounters.

Hope this helps!

It is worth noting that they have changed their way of doing things between the current OMS IIs and my class of OMS Is in regards to Foundations lab schedules. As Aki the Mew mentions, his class only had lab 3 days a week during the first semester of OMS I year, deemed “Foundations” for us. Our class had lab 4 days a week, with two days of anatomy (for me, M/W) from 1-430ish (coupled typically with a radiology session from 12-1 on W), DPR once a week (T from 2-4 for me), and OMM once a week (R from 1-3 for me). As Aki the Mew also stated, labs are required attendance.

So far for our second semester, deemed “Principles and Practices of Osteopathic Medicine I”, we have lab 4 days a week again - though I believe this was a recent change because initially it was only 2 days. I do not know the reason for this change, only that it occurred.

We begin the semester with neuroanatomy lab in tow, so I have that twice a week (M/W form 12-1). In addition to this DPR remains once a week (T 12-2) and OMM stays as well (R 1-3). Initially our neuroanatomy lab would go with the other labs, resulting in only 2 days of lab a week. That said, neuroanatomy lab only goes for the first block of this semester, so 2 days of lab a week will become the norm. It is also worth noting that we have scheduled virtual clinic sessions more regularly this semester, which would mean no DPR lab that week and our mandatory attendance at a specific time for the virtual clinic session.

Otherwise lecture is not mandatory. At least here in Arkansas we have several mandatory-attendance seminars based around various topics dispersed throughout the weeks. Topics vary from health law to global health and more. These have been more enjoyable than I would have originally guessed.

Your big takeaway is that they have been trying to find the perfect way to schedule our work, so it could very well be the case that your class has a different schedule completely.

As for the general idea of commuting from Memphis....well individuals will have their opinions. Many people study well from home, and many of my classmates are doing well with that plan. First semester saw me at Wilson Hall for lecture at 8 am, with labs in the afternoon with my break going across the sidewalk for lunch, then studying independently at Wilson before dinner, eating dinner with my friends here, then group study until 8 or 11 pm depending on the stage in-block (towards our comps or before Midcomps). Preparation for anatomy practicals can mean long hours here as well outside of all of that, which must be considered. With that in mind I live on-campus and that has been the best fit for me. I work with several students who have full families here that elect to study on campus to stay focused and relish the idea of living closer for that reason. Too much of this is subjective to give you any really great advice - and your personal situation is one that varies from mine so I would not be able to fully understand the toll of either case - but I would venture to guess that everyone would probably give you blanket advice that such a daily commute is not ideal. Might be worth considering that I was an independent studier before coming here and it worked great for me. I even maintained this and did well to start. However, you’ll find, as I have, that you have many intelligent and quality classmates. I have to admit that being able to bounce theory off of them has proven to be invaluable for me thus far.

Again, I want to state that this is purely my opinion - and I am not representative of everyone or qualified to speak to everyone’s individual circumstances.

Also do the peer mentoring program! Love being able to have a second-year student to throw questions at and get advice from.

Regardless of all of that, congratulations! To all who have come so far as to apply to medical school, you have clearly accomplished something great. For those who have been accepted, I remember that liberating feeling. Cherish that, because the work begins now! I do believe it is a privilege to have this work to do! For those that are awaiting results and may even have to try again - keep going! There’s a reason you’re drawn to this path and your hard work will pay off.

Looking forward to having you all on campus in August!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Gah! Didn't see these.

I currently live in Queens, so its a 40 mins drive. I am wondering if it's worth moving closer?

I commuted from Brooklyn my first year and had to wake up at 5:30am to get to school (city traffic). There are plenty of people who are still doing that, so I don't see the need to move closer. If you find that you need to move closer in the middle of the year, there will definitely be apartments available. (With their price for rents...no wonder.) Remember that lectures are recorded and you only need to show up for labs! :p

With board studying second year, I decided to take out more loans and move out. But again, that was my personal choice because I do a lot of group studying in school. There are plenty of people who still commute from other boroughs because they can't study effectively like that...or they want to stay with their families. (Significant other, free meals, someone does your laundry :p) My OMM lab partner is in DPC and comes from Astoria. He's doing just fine.

old wetbury is really expensive. I recommend looking at housing either in Hicksville (15 min drive) or towards the city.

If you're still looking around, I recommend Glen Cove too. Many NYCOM students end up there.

Gah! Didn't see these.

I commuted from Brooklyn my first year and had to wake up at 5:30am to get to school (city traffic). There are plenty of people who are still doing that, so I don't see the need to move closer. If you find that you need to move closer in the middle of the year, there will definitely be apartments available. (With their price for rents...no wonder.) Remember that lectures are recorded and you only need to show up for labs! :p

With board studying second year, I decided to take out more loans and move out. But again, that was my personal choice because I do a lot of group studying in school. There are plenty of people who still commute from other boroughs because they can't study effectively like that...or they want to stay with their families. (Significant other, free meals, someone does your laundry :p) My OMM lab partner is in DPC and comes from Astoria. He's doing just fine.

If you're still looking around, I recommend Glen Cove too. Many NYCOM students end up there.

Lol thanks, I live in Long Island though. I just know of a few places since my friends live there.

Members don't see this ad :)
any current students want to give their input on why they like this school? pros and cons i guess? (preferably for the OW campus)

Reactions: 1 users
What's good guys! Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted thus far! Just a quick question, my interview is tomorrow, was confused on whether or not this interview was closed or open file in terms of them having access to my full application or not. Thanks!

What's good guys! Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted thus far! Just a quick question, my interview is tomorrow, was confused on whether or not this interview was closed or open file in terms of them having access to my full application or not. Thanks!
I think they just have your secondary. At least that's what I noticed by the interview at Jonesboro.

I should share: Last week I was told a round of letters would be coming out this week or the next. This was at the AR campus, not sure if it will coincide to OW!

Hey all! Wishing everyone luck on their interviews and outcomes. I’m headed to Jonesboro in the fall and was wondering if anyone knows about a Facebook page/ a potential second look?

I should share: Last week I was told a round of letters would be coming out this week or the next. This was at the AR campus, not sure if it will coincide to OW!

I hope so! I've been waiting for 2 months now!

Hey all! Wishing everyone luck on their interviews and outcomes. I’m headed to Jonesboro in the fall and was wondering if anyone knows about a Facebook page/a potential second look?

I believe SGA here might be responsible for setting up the Facebook page, but can’t say for sure. I don’t remember when ours was up and running, but someone was kind enough to drop a link in the thread when it was. If I can find out anything about that I’ll be sure to let you all know.

As for a second look, we should be having an Admitted Students Day coming this spring that admitted students will be invited to, although if you are in the area I’m sure a phone call could set something up while you’re here. The Admitted Students Day will obviously be more formal and offer an introduction into “a day in the life”, but fair warning it won’t clue you in on working around anatomy in Foundations! That’ll come much too soon, don’t worry ;)

Class of 2021 just held our Ambassadors Interest Meeting today where we discussed a few of these things (though only as they apply to us) so I would be looking for more information on this before too long.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty sure the interview was somewhat open as my interviewer referenced my personal statement to remind her of who I was, so I'm not sure if they also have access to scores and ECs but im pretty certain that that they have accesss to the PS (this was for OW)

Did anyone else have an interviewer who rated them? My interviewer wrote a score for each response! The questions had nothing to do with my PS or other application info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else have an interviewer who rated them? My interviewer wrote a score for each response! The questions had nothing to do with my PS or other application info.
at OW yeah, they had a form with each question and a score box next to it

Can anyone comment on sending update letters? I read on the website that they do not accept them, but it looks like a few applicants on here have? Would this be frowned upon?

Can anyone comment on sending update letters? I read on the website that they do not accept them, but it looks like a few applicants on here have? Would this be frowned upon?
I've sent an update letter with success. They emailed me back and said it was placed in my file

I sent one about a month ago. I emailed them first and asked if they accepted update letters and they had no problem with them being sent and added to your file. Just email letters to the general admissions email and you should be all set!

Hey y'all, for those of you set to interview or still waiting, I just had mine yesterday. Was very laid back and relaxed, really wanted to get to know you. Asked a few broad questions about Osteopathic med and then kinda branched off from their based on your responses. Good luck!

Did anyone make a Facebook page for the OW campus class of 2022??

Fingers crossed and good luck to every one tomorrow. I heard acceptances go out tomorrow... put in a good prayer

Reactions: 6 users
For what it may be worth, campus was opened later today in response to inclement weather here in Jonesboro. This may have or may not have an effect on timeline. Not sure if there would be a correlation, but just in case there is at least a reason is understood.

Well....guess we'll have to wait yet another week

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else from November 17th interview still waiting? I think maybe my interview didn't go so well. IM OVERTHINKING!!!

Anyone else from November 17th interview still waiting? I think maybe my interview didn't go so well. IM OVERTHINKING!!!
I interviewed 11/3 and still haven’t heard anything back. That probably doesn’t make you feel any better but you are not alone.

10/10 here.... still..... waiting.......
Helps having an acceptance elsewhere though. Was rejected here and ARCOM in the same week but was accepted to KCU. Now just waiting for UAMS.

But as an aside this place has been absurdly long waiting for decisions

Helps having an acceptance elsewhere though. Was rejected here and ARCOM in the same week but was accepted to KCU. Now just waiting for UAMS.

Did they send the rejection via email or snail mail?

How did u do in the interview?

I thought I did well, I only think I flubbed the what was a good accomplishment in your life recently, I brought up something too personal
I hope naming something too personal didnt hurt your chances. I think they want personal. I was asked name a struggle I overcame and my answer was really personal. I was also asked if I shadowed a DO and I havent. I hope that doesn't hurt my chances. I love NYIT

Can anyone comment on why NYITCOM might be a better DO school than RowanSOM or PCOM?

Can anyone comment on why NYITCOM might be a better DO school than RowanSOM or PCOM?
I would say its difficult to say which school is "better", all schools mentioned have good match rates to good programs, board scores are good, current students have good things to say, etc. I chose NYIT mainly because of location as its only a 30 minute drive compared to moving somewhere new and having to take more loans for rent, groceries, gas, etc. So if you're trying to decide between the 3 I would take into account personal desires for career and location.

I hope naming something too personal didnt hurt your chances. I think they want personal. I was asked name a struggle I overcame and my answer was really personal. I was also asked if I shadowed a DO and I havent. I hope that doesn't hurt my chances. I love NYIT

I interviewed at OW and even though they said to describe an academic struggle, I talked about a personal struggle and made the point why i felt that my personal struggle was more important to me as a developing professional. It worked for me; i got my acceptance in December.

I thought I did well, I only think I flubbed the what was a good accomplishment in your life recently, I brought up something too personal

I brought up something HIGHLY personal at my interview. And i got in. You’re fine

I called them recently that they just said no decision has been made so I don't think so. Just call them they will tell you.
When I emailed them with an update about 2 weeks ago, they said my file is still under review and they would be in touch...

Question: Does NYITCOM (both places) video record their lectures and archive them somewhere on their portal so we can access them whenever and wherever (like if we're sick and can't go to lecture one day or we want to review something said in lecture)?

Let's hope this is the week we get accepted, fingers crossed!

Reactions: 2 users