2017-2018 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think there’s any hope for antecedent interviewees? I interviewed 1/17 and got positive feedback by my interviewer immediately after. I was surprised I was given any feedback at all, and am obviously glad it was positive but am I set up for a waitlist or is an acceptance even possible right now? Of note I was complete relatively early in the cycle maybe I was on an unofficial “interview waitlist” so I’m confused why they would take me off that just to put me on admissions wait list, especially at this point in the cycle after being complete for so long. Not to say I’m not appreciative of the opportunity and chance though.

I think they are still accepting people. The class is not full on the facebook page yet. But if you received positive feedback right away after your interview I think that is a good sign. My interviewer told me right off the bat that he thought I was a great applicant and would be accepted (got accepted). So stay positive.

Members don't see this ad.

I think they are still accepting people. The class is not full on the facebook page yet. But if you received positive feedback right away after your interview I think that is a good sign. My interviewer told me right off the bat that he thought I was a great applicant and would be accepted (got accepted). So stay positive.
When did you interview and what campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
Recently accepted into the old westbury campus. Noticed that tuition is due April 16th, why so early? All the other schools I have seen, it is due in June or July.

Does anyone know if the 'acceptance reply form' has the same deadline as the $1500 deposit? From my understanding, the deposit reserves the seat and the form would officially accept it, so can i wait a bit to send the form?

Does anyone know if the 'acceptance reply form' has the same deadline as the $1500 deposit? From my understanding, the deposit reserves the seat and the form would officially accept it, so can i wait a bit to send the form?
A deposit without an acceptance reply letter may be taken as a donation to the school... and I won't blame them.

Reactions: 1 user
The deposit is non-refundable as well, so if you're planning on paying it you might as well accept the offer

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think there’s any hope for antecedent interviewees? I interviewed 1/17 and got positive feedback by my interviewer immediately after. I was surprised I was given any feedback at all, and am obviously glad it was positive but am I set up for a waitlist or is an acceptance even possible right now? Of note I was complete relatively early in the cycle maybe I was on an unofficial “interview waitlist” so I’m confused why they would take me off that just to put me on admissions wait list, especially at this point in the cycle after being complete for so long. Not to say I’m not appreciative of the opportunity and chance though.
I got positive feedback from my interviewer during and after my interview, and was accepted. He told me that he thought I would be a great OB/GYN and that they would be lucky to have me. He also filled my bag with candy as I was walking out. Best interviewer ever! I would take it as a good sign.

I had a very similar experience as you! On top of that the Dean came off as really rude and narcissistic haha he told us how much money he was making as a physiatrist (PMNR Doc). I’m like great dude.. I just want to interview.

:( Sorry he seemed that way. Dr. Gilliar isn't my favorite person on campus, but I've heard that he does stand up for the students. During my first year, we had a lot of repeat lectures on like 3 diseases and we voiced that to the admin. Usually things like that get shut down by them. However he was quite adamant that they focus on all topics evenly. I believe several students approach him personally about it. Probably didn't want us walking out of MSK system knowing like 3 diseases, especially if we're a DO school.

If you have any questions on lecture-based, please let me know!

The deposit is non-refundable as well, so if you're planning on paying it you might as well accept the offer
Thanks for responding! i know it's non-refundable but im wondering if sending that letter would be binding. i'm still waiting to hear back from a few other schools

Shouldn't be binding. It would make no sense if they forced you to decide this early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just gave up my seat, I hope it goes to someone who will use it to the fullest!
I really like the school, just can't justify the price with the red flags I encountered/balance it with other acceptances that have more to offer for much less.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Just gave up my seat, I hope it goes to someone who will use it to the fullest!
I really like the school, just can't justify the price with the red flags I encountered/balance it with other acceptances that have more to offer for much less.

Good luck everyone!
Sorry* but what are those red flags that you have encountered ?

Sorry* but what are those red flags that you have encountered ?

I wish I could edit that post, it sounds like I’m putting the school down when that wasn’t my intent. I think overall it seems like a solid choice that I would be happy to attend. I just feel more comfortable elsewhere.

Red flags for me have been:

Price - without the AR campus scholarship the school costs more than Harvard.

Uncertainty - there is a component of uncertainty to all of these new branch campuses. All the data comes from a different branch. This branch has a mission of producing PCPs, so that does not necessarily create a push for boards excellence/push students to take step.

Proximity to ARCOM - Although it is hours away, ARCOM is in a better spot for a medical school, full-stop. Clinical rotations are what you worry about with these branch campuses, and while I feel NYITCOM-AR will do just fine, I don’t like the idea of picking the second best. The delta region is still underserved, but for *training* purposes I don’t want to see so much pigeonholing.

Interview - My interviewee didn’t instill confidence. I don’t want to throw anyone under the bus, but let’s just say that I can divine why I needed a second interview. During that second interview, I talked with the campus dean. This person was awesome, but 100% gave the feeling that the campus was in a flux. They spoke of listening to student feedback and changing curriculum, which is great, but the feeling I got was that the campus has not hit a stride yet. That sort of wishy-washy “change period” is something I am FAR too familiar with, and it breeds stress. If I’m wasting time arguing about the fairness of assignment XYZ instead of learning new material or starting a research project, I’m losing. I don’t see it as a HUGE issue, but if you’re going to charge a premium price for a product, I expect a premium product. If I’m having to help make curriculum changes on the fly, that’s an extra JOB, not a premium experience.

Location - It’s in an underserved location, and I love that and the mission. However, you have to take into account that this is a poor area of the US. There’s a long drive to the nearest big airport, and it isn’t close to any family for me whatsoever. If granny Ethel breaks a hip, I’m way out. If granny Ethel breaks a hip and I’m at UMKC, I hop on one of the hundreds of flights per day that the KC airport has. Again, this is not something that you don’t know about when you interview here, but it factors in the decision for sure.

Tell Health focus - This is something I vehemently dislike. Telehealth was a boondoggle that most organizations have already abandoned. You’re gonna’ tell me that a community can afford a $30,000 telehealth machine AND an RN to work it, but they can’t afford a contract P.A. to do primary care, or a visiting doctor service or similar? This technology flies in the face of what the school was built to achieve (providing physician contact for rural communities in the Delta region). If the access to care can be remedied with telehealth, why is the school there?! Either one works or the other does, they don’t both make sense. (As an aside, I work for a huge company that completely disbanded its telehealth programs because they burn cash and don’t help patients, so I’m very biased.)

I will say that I love the campus being affiliated with A-state (research and campus facilities!), and all of the student and faculty I met were super nice! I would be proud to attend this medical school, but since I have been accepted somewhere that is a better fit for me, I withdrew my acceptance so that someone who will be a better fit can come in and rock it!

I think is surreal to be able to *pick* a medical school, and I think it’s just so neat to have the opportunity to pick from a selection of choices that each lead to becoming a doctor! They say there’s no such thing as a *bad* Medical school.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for responding! i know it's non-refundable but im wondering if sending that letter would be binding. i'm still waiting to hear back from a few other schools
Did you find out if the deposit and the acceptance form are due at the same time?

Has anyone who interviewed on January 4th heard back yet? During the interview day they mentioned we should be hearing back by the end of January.

Has anyone who interviewed on January 4th heard back yet? During the interview day they mentioned we should be hearing back by the end of January.[/Q

I interviewed the same day. Still haven't heard anything back just yet.

Has anyone who interviewed on January 4th heard back yet? During the interview day they mentioned we should be hearing back by the end of January.
it took 3 months for me!

Does anyone know if they're still sending out II's for OW campus?

Complete 12/11. Invited for interview on 12/18. Interviewed 1/24, had a great time. Accepted 2/1- Still waiting/on hold at some schools but very excited about this. No idea why it didn’t take longer

Complete 12/11. Invited for interview on 12/18. Interviewed 1/24, had a great time. Accepted 2/1- Still waiting/on hold at some schools but very excited about this. No idea why it didn’t take longer
You are definitely the exception

OW or A-State?

Complete early November, interviewed 12/19 and accepted yesterday morning to OW. Really looking forward to this school, really high on my list

Anyone know what the waitlist movement is like here and when they finally start to take people off the waitlist?

Anyone know what the waitlist movement is like here and when they finally start to take people off the waitlist?

Looking at last year’s forum, they seem to have a good deal of movement and accept people off the waitlist from around April all the way to July

Anyone have any idea how long after an interview you get a decision?

Congrats!! Same interview day...Do you remember who your interviewer was?

Has anyone from the January 10th interview heard anything back yet? If you have already interviewed, how long does it usually take to hear something?