2017-2018 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today for AR campus!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
II today for Old Westbury. Interview date 3/16, according to them that's the last day of interviews Are we interviewing for waitlist at this point??

II today for Old Westbury. Interview date 3/16, according to them that's the last day of interviews Are we interviewing for waitlist at this point??
So in the interest of giving you realistic expectations, that was just about my interview date last year. I was waitlisted about a month later and accepted off of the waitlist in early June. I don't know of anybody who was accepted straight in from an interview as late as mine, but know a good amount of people who were waitlisted and then accepted later on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who interviewed on 12/31 still waiting for a decision?

Waitlisted. Interviewed 2/13

I was expecting a rejection the way my interview went (asked straight off a form, didn’t ask if I had any questions, thought I was nervously when I was fine) so it’s better than nothing

Interviewed 2/9 WL 3/1, my interview was super weird so I wasn't sure what to expect. Pleasantly surprised!

Interviewed 1/31...waitlisted. It feels like they waitlisted everybody.

I feel that everything from now on will be a waitlist. Im sure that will equate to a HUGE waitlist movement starting late April/early May according to last years thread. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Like is there any specific order to which people on the waitlisted are accepted or are the students randomly chosen?

Does anyone know of a single person that has been rejected? It seems like they waitlist EVERYYYYBODY

Does anyone know of a single person that has been rejected? It seems like they waitlist EVERYYYYBODY

Actually a buddy of mine interviewed before me and he got rejected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interviewed 2/16, waitlisted today :(.This is my top choice too, does anyone know the % of waitlisters who get accepted based on previous cycles?

Has anyone from Feb interview did not get the result today???

also gotta remember SDN only encompasses a portion of the applicant pool, a decent amount of people probably got rejected or just have had their decision deferred post-II until their silent rejection comes through at the end of the cycle

also gotta remember SDN only encompasses a portion of the applicant pool, a decent amount of people probably got rejected or just have had their decision deferred post-II until their silent rejection comes through at the end of the cycle
What is the diffrence between a post II deferred and a waitlist?

Do you get a confirmation email after you tell them you want to stay on the wait list?

Hey guys I finished my supplementary essays very very late but my stats are well above the the average acceptance, is it still too late for any hope of an interview? What do you guys think? And is it true spots have already filled up? For all you guys that have been recently waitlisted how were your stats compared to the 3.6 504 mcat average.

Hey guys I finished my supplementary essays very very late but my stats are well above the the average acceptance, is it still too late for any hope of an interview? What do you guys think? And is it true spots have already filled up? For all you guys that have been recently waitlisted how were your stats compared to the 3.6 504 mcat average.
Given that most people here are getting waitlisted they are likely full at this time but there is likely to be waitlist movement. As for interview chances they will be low since it’s the end of cycle, but some are still going out

Congratulations to all who got in so far!
We cannot wait to meet all of you! And those who are still waiting or are on the waitlist- don't lose hope yet! I know more than a handful of people who got in from the wait list (and those are just people who've told me- could be more!)

There is a facebook page for those who have been accepted into the Jonesboro campus so you all can connect with the current first and second years and each other. I'm not sure if there is one for Old Westbury.

If anyone has questions about living arrangements for the fall or have any questions about the curriculum etc feel free to DM me!

Reactions: 6 users
Is the waitlist movement random? Would sending a letter of intent help?

Is the waitlist movement random? Would sending a letter of intent help?
It's one of the great unknowns, how my fair university decides to pluck people from the waitlist. I personally sent in a letter of intent and was accepted, but n=1 and thus who knows.

Is JB getting a second look anytime soon? I'd really like to come back/ get families opinions

The school rarely, if ever, sends out rejections. Usually waitlists instead. A friend of mine was waitlisted and got accepted two days before classes started, it can happen! Don't lose out hope lol.

Also, some cool changes are coming for ya'll. They're completely re-vamping the curriculum to make it almost completely case-based/active discussions, and less lecture-based.
And for clinical rotations: Medicine and Surgery will now be 8 weeks long, instead of 10, leaving more room for electives during the 3rd year.
There is also talk to start 3rd year earlier in March/April like many MD schools have started to do, vs. the typical August start date, to leave more space for electives and flex/interview time in fourth year.
More rotations on Long Island as well, which is great for those who want to stay local
Catholic Health Services, NYIT form osteopathic pact - Innovate Long Island

every school has certain things that make them unique.

are there any current students or students who were accepted that can please post what makes nyitcom unique?

like for example, if they ask on the interview - why nyitcom? - what are some things that are important to the school that would be worth highlighting in an interview?

also, does anyone have any other interview advice?

what sort of questions do they ask?

is there anything i should know or be aware of before going in?

Thanks in advance!

The school rarely, if ever, sends out rejections. Usually waitlists instead. A friend of mine was waitlisted and got accepted two days before classes started, it can happen! Don't lose out hope lol.

Also, some cool changes are coming for ya'll. They're completely re-vamping the curriculum to make it almost completely case-based/active discussions, and less lecture-based.
And for clinical rotations: Medicine and Surgery will now be 8 weeks long, instead of 10, leaving more room for electives during the 3rd year.
There is also talk to start 3rd year earlier in March/April like many MD schools have started to do, vs. the typical August start date, to leave more space for electives and flex/interview time in fourth year.
More rotations on Long Island as well, which is great for those who want to stay local
Catholic Health Services, NYIT form osteopathic pact - Innovate Long Island

So the lecture based pathway is getting less lecture based? will this be implemented for next year?

also, does anyone have any other interview advice?

what sort of questions do they ask?

is there anything i should know or be aware of before going in?

Thanks in advance!
my whole interview was literally 10 minutes. just look over the interview feedback. good luck!

what questions did they ask you?

Hi Jim. I interviewed in January and was accepted. My interviewer was very laid back, he even said something like-

Interviews are so strange. I am not interested in your mcat score or grades since they must be good enough to have landed you an interview. Let’s just get to know each other-

He asked where I grew up and that sprouted an interesting conversation about living on Long Island. He even shared the story of his pathway to medical school. He did ask if I shadowed a DO (I did not, but the doc I shadowed works closely with a DO neurosurgeon). He also asked me, as we were walking back at the end of the interview, “what is the thing you are most proud of in life.” He mentioned that this is a loaded question and that my answer would be taken with a grain of salt.

Whatever happens or whoever interviews you, just be yourself. It was not a high pressure situation and I think they just want to see if you’re a great match for the school.

Withdrawing from waitlist (placed on it in January) - best wishes to all!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Jim. I interviewed in January and was accepted. My interviewer was very laid back, he even said something like-

Interviews are so strange. I am not interested in your mcat score or grades since they must be good enough to have landed you an interview. Let’s just get to know each other-

He asked where I grew up and that sprouted an interesting conversation about living on Long Island. He even shared the story of his pathway to medical school. He did ask if I shadowed a DO (I did not, but the doc I shadowed works closely with a DO neurosurgeon). He also asked me, as we were walking back at the end of the interview, “what is the thing you are most proud of in life.” He mentioned that this is a loaded question and that my answer would be taken with a grain of salt.

Whatever happens or whoever interviews you, just be yourself. It was not a high pressure situation and I think they just want to see if you’re a great match for the school.
Thanks!