2017-2018 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If any of you acceptees at Jonesboro have any questions on curriculum or living or anything at all feel free to PM me. I don't bite!
How big is your class and do you know a lot of people who got off the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think we're beating a dead horse here. Be patient! I spoke with one of the admissions officer and told me there is NO ranking system and that we can get an email/phone call anytime between now and the day before classes start. It is literally random regardless of when you interviewed, stats, etc. It would be nice if we all got in this cycle, but we should start preparing for a potential gap year to better prepare ourselves next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I find it next to impossible to believe something can be completely unranked. You think they pick names out of a hat?

Reactions: 5 users
Legend has it that the admissions committee meets at the stroke of midnight every full moon, dressed in black hoods amongst candle light. They throw chicken bones upon an altar devoted to gods long since forgotten, whose names cannot be said with the tongues of men. The bones shall fall and the wizened soothsayers, older than time itself, shall read the bones; "...and lo, we take two souls from the waitlist this eve..."

Yeah I was wondering this also before I was waitlisted back in January(AR). So I contacted them and they were fine with it. I sent a LOI back in january. I got accepted at LECOM and Pending open seat at ATSU. So really hope I find out from here or other schools before I got apartment shopping for LECOM in a couple of weeks.

Just do all you can. If you think it may help you then write that letter! Worst thing that can happen is they say “we aren’t receptive to letters of interest” and you’re in the same boat you are in right now. If you are really passionate about attending then I would let them know

Yeah I was wondering this also before I was waitlisted back in January(AR). So I contacted them and they were fine with it. I sent a LOI back in january. I got accepted at LECOM and Pending open seat at ATSU. So really hope I find out from here or other schools before I got apartment shopping for LECOM in a couple of weeks.
If you were accepted to atsu would you still go to Lecom? Just curious on your decision and why. Thanks!

If you were accepted to atsu would you still go to Lecom? Just curious on your decision and why. Thanks!
I really dont know why I would choose ATSU over LECOM. LECOM is way cheaper, almost half the price and also closer to home. however, ATSU just seemed like a better program in a good location. It seems like the complete opposite compared to LECOM. ATSU in AZ is just a cooler place than LECOM-SH (Greensburg PA). Plus ATSU seemed more relaxed and happy than LECOM when i interviewed. However my parents and girlfriend absolutely hate the idea of me moving across the country(From VA). But I feel that ATSU would be a stronger program than LECOM. I really still dont know. But if I can get the loans for ATSU and hear back reasonably fast then I might, but times running out soon. So seems like I might have to stick with LECOM.
I feel the same way. The primary reason why I would go to LECOM is the tuition but I loved my experience at SOMA much more; they really do a great job selling their program on interview day. I like their use of community health centers to reach underserved populations and just feel their mission is more aligned with mine. I also think I would be more productive to watch lectures at 2x speed and only go to class if I have questions rather than it being mandatory. I know LECOM has that independant pathway but the students in that pathway say they never go to lecture because the professor often talks about material they're not tested on and I don't know how I feel about that.

I feel the same way. The primary reason why I would go to LECOM is the tuition but I loved my experience at SOMA much more; they really do a great job selling their program on interview day. I like their use of community health centers to reach underserved populations and just feel their mission is more aligned with mine. I also think I would be more productive to watch lectures at 2x speed and only go to class if I have questions rather than it being mandatory. I know LECOM has that independant pathway but the students in that pathway say they never go to lecture because the professor often talks about material they're not tested on and I don't know how I feel about that.

I really dont know why I would choose ATSU over LECOM. LECOM is way cheaper, almost half the price and also closer to home. however, ATSU just seemed like a better program in a good location. It seems like the complete opposite compared to LECOM. ATSU in AZ is just a cooler place than LECOM-SH (Greensburg PA). Plus ATSU seemed more relaxed and happy than LECOM when i interviewed. However my parents and girlfriend absolutely hate the idea of me moving across the country(From VA). But I feel that ATSU would be a stronger program than LECOM. I really still dont know. But if I can get the loans for ATSU and hear back reasonably fast then I might, but times running out soon. So seems like I might have to stick with LECOM.

So I didn’t interview at SOMA, but did interview at ATSU- KCOM and also was happy with their program. I was also accepted to TouroNY and was really happy with their program as well! The issue for me is that I live close to TouroNY, but idk if I should commit to a new school (Touro-Middletown just had its first match) because of location or If I should go to a more well established school that is in the middle of Missouri. Lol

Interviewed 3/16 waitlisted 3/28 accepted 4/16 !!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 2/16, WL 3/2, accepted today 4/16 to Old Westbury as well. LM 66 (3.4 GPA, 512 MCAT). Currently in a post-grad gap year, sent an LOI 3/6. Doing part-time research in my gap year, did not send an update to the adcom as I don't have any pubs from that yet.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted today!
I as well interviewed on March 16 and was waitlisted 3/28 and got in today!
Mcat 506 and science gpa 3.88 and wrote lots of letters and called the admissions office often!
Good luck to everyone!

Mcat 506 and science gpa 3.88 and wrote lots of letters and called the admissions office often!
Good luck to everyone!

congrats, I know you have been waiting on this. Hopefully we will be classmates next year

Congrats to those accepted! Waitlist seems to be moving earlier than previous cycles. Hopefully there will be more movement!

Good luck to everyone!
Just saw your post....awesome news! I know you were on several waitlists. Congratulations!!!

Good luck to everyone!
Old Westbury or Jonesboro?

I was waitlisted on 3/2.. hoping to hear back soon as the OW is my top choice

Congrats everyone who got accepted! So, it sounds like this movement is for OW only? Did anyone waitlisted at JB get an acceptance?

does anyone out there know whether touro harlem or nyitcom is ranked higher?

which school gets better residencies?

anyone deciding or already decided between the 2 have any insight into what influenced their decision?

does anyone out there know whether touro harlem or nyitcom is ranked higher?

which school gets better residencies?

anyone deciding or already decided between the 2 have any insight into what influenced their decision?

NYITCOM is significantly older and probably more established as a result; Touro has the benefit of being IN NYC not just nearby although the Harlem campus is in an interesting location so if that matters to you take it for what it's worth. Touro also has a stated goal of trying to practice in under-served communities such as Harlem, so if that's not your thing NYITCOM is probably the better option.

NYITCOM is significantly older and probably more established as a result; Touro has the benefit of being IN NYC not just nearby although the Harlem campus is in an interesting location so if that matters to you take it for what it's worth. Touro also has a stated goal of trying to practice in under-served communities such as Harlem, so if that's not your thing NYITCOM is probably the better option.

To kinda add to this, TouroCOM-NYC says that they have a goal of trying to practice in under-served communities, but none of their rotations are in Harlem or even in the inner city (other than Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center, in BK). Source https://tourocom.touro.edu/academics/do-program/clinical/rotation-site-map/

One of the reasons why I chose NYIT-COM vs TouroCOM is because their rotation sites are in places where I want to end up doing my residency. NYIT-COM has sites in BK, queens, and the Bronx. Source Clinical Education Institutions | College of Osteopathic Medicine | NYIT

Also, if it matters, we've had close to 100% placement rates for residency (another thing I'd look at when comparing schools): Outcomes Data | College of Osteopathic Medicine | NYIT

Question. If you send an update to the admissions office - for example a LOI - does the admissions committe get notified?

Question. If you send an update to the admissions office - for example a LOI - does the admissions committe get notified?

They actually say not to send in letters of intent or updates.
Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 11.16.21 AM.png

Hey guys. Current second year at NYIT-COM. I would like to share some of my experiences.

CONS:
I'll keep this part short. The admin can be difficult to work with. Living around Glen Cove is expensive. Tuition is expensive. Fortunately I live in Brooklyn, so I can commute to school without paying 800-1200 a month for just rent.

PROS:
I love the friends I've made at school. NYIT-COM has the EPP program where physicians from abroad, who couldn't get a residency in the US, can become physicians in the US. They have been an amazing resource. The school tries to place one of these EPP students in each lab group. The EPP in my anatomy group was the best. Till this day (as I wither away studying for boards), he still sits down to explain concepts to me. They were physicians and needed to pass STEP 1 to get into our school, so they definitely know a lot and are more than happy to share their knowledge with you.

As for rotations, NYIT-COM gives you the option to rotate at one hospital for your third year or travel to a different hospitals for each rotation. The nice thing is if you really interested in one hospital, it's a really good idea to go there for your third year and establish yourself. You would have to apply to those hospitals/sites if you're interested. In my case, I really want to see a lot of cases and work with a diverse community, so I was accepted into the regional rotation at Jamaica Hospital. My friend, who is interested in PM&R, got accepted to NUMC. Their PM&R residency director gives lectures at our school so it's great for him to get to know her in a classroom setting and now at the hospital.

Last thing I want to mention are the summer opportunities. I'm not sure if it's a big thing in Touro-COM, but volunteering abroad is an option. The school does have its own programs which students have to pay for. BUT if you create your own project/reach out to organizations on your own, the school offers fellowships for that. I volunteered at a clinic in Cambodia. Everything was paid for by the fellowship. If you're into research, lots of people to work with on campus and not all of the projects are medically related. Another one of my friend worked with an anatomy professor and she studied whale cochlea for her project. She presented at 2 conferences and won 1st place at one of them.

The most important things for residency are your board scores, your letters of rec, and your CV. I think the environment at the school, the people you work with, and the opportunities presented there will do you good.

Last edited:
Hey guys. Current second year at NYIT-COM. I would like to share some of my experiences.

CONS:
I'll keep this part short. The admin can be difficult to work with. Living around Glen Cove is expensive. Tuition is expensive. Fortunately I live in Brooklyn, so I can commute to school without paying 800-1200 a month for just rent.

PROS:
I love the friends I've made at school. NYIT-COM has the EPP program where physicians from abroad, who couldn't get a residency in the US, can become physicians in the US. They have been an amazing resource. The school tries to place one of these EPP students in each lab group. The EPP in my anatomy group was the best. Till this day (as I wither away studying for boards), he still sits down to explain concepts to me. They were physicians and needed to pass STEP 1 to get into our school, so they definitely know a lot and are more than happy to share their knowledge with you.

As for rotations, NYIT-COM gives you the option to rotate at one hospital for your third year or travel to a different hospitals for each rotation. The nice thing is if you really interested in one hospital, it's a really good idea to go there for your third year and establish yourself. You would have to apply to those hospitals/sites if you're interested. In my case, I really want to see a lot of cases and work with a diverse community, so I was accepted into the regional rotation at Jamaica Hospital. My friend, who is interested in PM&R, got accepted to NUMC. Their PM&R residency director gives lectures at our school so it's great for him to get to know her in a classroom setting and now at the hospital.

Last thing I want to mention are the summer opportunities. I'm not sure if it's a big thing in Touro-COM, but volunteering abroad is an option. The school does have its own programs which students have to pay for. BUT if you create your own project/reach out to organizations on your own, the school offers fellowships for that. I volunteered at a clinic in Cambodia. Everything was paid for by the fellowship. If you're into research, lots of people to work with on campus and not all of the projects are medically related. Another one of my friend worked with an anatomy professor and she studied whale cochlea for her project. She presented at 2 conferences and won 1st place at one of them.

The most important things for residency are your board scores, your letters of rec, and your CV. I think the environment at the school, the people you work with, and the opportunities presented there will do you good.

Would you recommend commuting over staying close by and paying extra for rent? I am debating between staying in Queens (35-45mins drive) or Hicksville (10- 15mins drive) and pay possibly $600 extra.

Would you recommend commuting over staying close by and paying extra for rent? I am debating between staying in Queens (35-45mins drive) or Hicksville (10- 15mins drive) and pay possibly $600 extra.

I recommend commuting if you don't plan to be on campus everyday. Lectures are not mandatory, so you're required to be on campus 2-3 days of the week for labs. During exam weeks, you come in one day for a practical and one day for the written exam. In the middle of the year, I ended up staying with my aunt during the weekdays (she lives in Little Neck) because I was on campus 5-6 days of the week for clubs, lectures, and study groups. Our student organizations wrapped up events for the year, so now I'm moving back to Brooklyn and commuting. If you plan to be extremely involved on campus and attend all the lectures, you should consider moving closer.

Then again one of my friends is in the DPC route (has to be on campus Monday through Friday) commutes from Forest Hills. So it is doable but if you're not on campus everyday/don't attend lectures, I don't think you should pay rent for a place closer if you only go to school 2-3 days a week.

There will always be rooms available if you change your mind. My friend was kicked out his apartment recently, but he had a list of places he could move into. So I definitely recommend commuting first before you sign that lease.

I recommend commuting if you don't plan to be on campus everyday. Lectures are not mandatory, so you're required to be on campus 2-3 days of the week for labs. During exam weeks, you come in one day for a practical and one day for the written exam. In the middle of the year, I ended up staying with my aunt during the weekdays (she lives in Little Neck) because I was on campus 5-6 days of the week for clubs, lectures, and study groups. Our student organizations wrapped up events for the year, so now I'm moving back to Brooklyn and commuting. If you plan to be extremely involved on campus and attend all the lectures, you should consider moving closer.

Then again one of my friends is in the DPC route (has to be on campus Monday through Friday) commutes from Forest Hills. So it is doable but if you're not on campus everyday/don't attend lectures, I don't think you should pay rent for a place closer if you only go to school 2-3 days a week.

There will always be rooms available if you change your mind. My friend was kicked out his apartment recently, but he had a list of places he could move into. So I definitely recommend commuting first before you sign that lease.

If you were to go back, would you still choose lecture based over DPC? Do you think your friend in the DPC prefers it over lecture based?

If you were to go back, would you still choose lecture based over DPC? Do you think your friend in the DPC prefers it over lecture based?

I would still pick lecture based because of the flexibility. Say something comes up (a doctor's appointment, wedding, you getting sick). It's much easier to catch up because you have material to refer to. We also have case-base learning lab where we basically do the same thing as DPC (expect once a week).

DPC on the other hand is researching information and then discussing it with your class. Some people learn better discussing and looking up things. My friend probably prefers that style of learning and he likes the close relationship he has with his class, so he would probably choose DPC again.

I would still pick lecture based because of the flexibility. Say something comes up (a doctor's appointment, wedding, you getting sick). It's much easier to catch up because you have material to refer to. We also have case-base learning lab where we basically do the same thing as DPC (expect once a week).

DPC on the other hand is researching information and then discussing it with your class. Some people learn better discussing and looking up things. My friend probably prefers that style of learning and he likes the close relationship he has with his class, so he would probably choose DPC again.

Cool thanks! I'm guessing its not the case that one group of students performs much better than the other?

Accepted via email just now! Interviewed 12/1 WL 1/20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6 users
Also got accepted yesterday via email at Arkansas!