2017-2018 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed 2/21, Waitlisted 3/20, Accepted ??? Congrats to everyone accepted so far. To anyone waitlisted, stay strong!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!!! Stats, OW or JB?
lol wait sorry if that was misleading..the "???" after the accepted was supposed to mean "who knows if and when." But to answer your question, I was waitlisted at OW. 3.37cGPA 3.20sGPA 508 MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
lol wait sorry if that was misleading..the "???" after the accepted was supposed to mean "who knows if and when." But to answer your question, I was waitlisted at OW. 3.37cGPA 3.20sGPA 508 MCAT.
Congrats!!! Did you send update letters and stuff?

Declined my acceptance offer in favor of a school closer to home. Best of luck to everybody on the WL!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know how long it took to get there background check in? Does that apply to the 2 week window that they gave us as far as immunizations alike

Anyone know how long it took to get there background check in? Does that apply to the 2 week window that they gave us as far as immunizations alike
I did my background check within the two weeks, but just sent in my immunization form yesterday (i got accepted several months ago), so it seems like they're ok as long as you got your deposit in.

Any wait-list movement or word on any projected movement?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After looking back at last year's forum, it appears that June was when a majority of the movement happened. Also, in early July a lot of people were given a call and asked if they wished to remain on the wait list in order to weed it down further. Hope that helps. I'm right there with all of you!

All my JB people, squad up! I’m tryna meet y’all. DM me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was accepted off the waitlist in early June. Most people I know who got off the waitlist were in late May to early June, so in a week or two there should be a large amount of movement.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what is the due date for the tuition payment for the waitlist-> accepted people?

ACCEPTED OFF THE WAITLIST TODAY!!

Interviewed all the way back in October and first acceptance!!! Feels like a literal dream

Reactions: 6 users
ACCEPTED AT A-STATE!!! Been waiting for so long. I got into ATSU and LECOM-SH do I need to make up my mind. It’s really NYIT vs LECOM, any thoughts out there on pros and cons?

Come to A State and be a legend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accepted to JB yesterday!! Interviewed on Jan. 5th.
This is it, y'all!!! Everyone stay encouraged and determined!!

ACCEPTED AT A-STATE!!! Been waiting for so long. I got into ATSU and LECOM-SH do I need to make up my mind. It’s really NYIT vs LECOM, any thoughts out there on pros and cons?
Well, in another thread, you said you ended up picking LECOM over SOMA because tuition and location were huge factors and the tuition at NYIT is more than SOMA so...

What have you guys done for the equipment needed for the fall? My dad has a spare stethoscope that he doesnt use anymore and some of the other stuff that should work for me. I was wondering on how picky they are with their equipment, would love to avoid spending 700$ if i didnt have to.
Get your own stethoscope, everything else you'll just borrow off of your friends who actually bought all the equipment (that they'll probably never use after the singular lab you use it).

Reactions: 2 users
What have you guys done for the equipment needed for the fall? My dad has a spare stethoscope that he doesnt use anymore and some of the other stuff that should work for me. I was wondering on how picky they are with their equipment, would love to avoid spending 700$ if i didnt have to.
Just email to be sure, I had some things that were not specific to their list and they approved it pretty easily

what would you recommend in terms of the best laptop for nyitcom?

windows ? mac?

can any current students please comment?

what would you recommend in terms of the best laptop for nyitcom?

windows ? mac?

can any current students please comment?

I am a Jonesboro student, so what I say may or may not apply to OW.
Mac can associate better with technology on campus, such as the Apple TVs. I’m sure the instant compatibility with given iPads will be nice as well. There is that distinct advantage over windows.

That said, we have a healthy mix of both here and nobody seems upset about anything. Most everyone in my group and that I know of down here may primarily use the iPads and a Notability app for note-taking and organization.

I was a laptop note-taker in undergrad, and a desktop heavy worker (more in depth organization and storage, paper writing, etc.). But I pretty much only use my desktop for reworking pharmacology notes (creating note-sheets) and watching videos (related and unrelated to lectures). Otherwise I am 98% iPad now. Not sure if that helps, but might be worth considering.

Ultimately either probably works. A lot will come down to your comfort. Windows laptops are generally cheaper, but Macs have that extra bit of compatibility. You may be fine with what you already have, even if that is nothing, because of the iPads. You may come down and try the iPads and if that doesn’t work for you, purchase something during tax-free weekend. It SHOULDN’T be far enough into first block to hurt.

I am a Jonesboro student, so what I say may or may not apply to OW.
Mac can associate better with technology on campus, such as the Apple TVs. I’m sure the instant compatibility with given iPads will be nice as well. There is that distinct advantage over windows.

That said, we have a healthy mix of both here and nobody seems upset about anything. Most everyone in my group and that I know of down here may primarily use the iPads and a Notability app for note-taking and organization.

I was a laptop note-taker in undergrad, and a desktop heavy worker (more in depth organization and storage, paper writing, etc.). But I pretty much only use my desktop for reworking pharmacology notes (creating note-sheets) and watching videos (related and unrelated to lectures). Otherwise I am 98% iPad now. Not sure if that helps, but might be worth considering.

Ultimately either probably works. A lot will come down to your comfort. Windows laptops are generally cheaper, but Macs have that extra bit of compatibility. You may be fine with what you already have, even if that is nothing, because of the iPads. You may come down and try the iPads and if that doesn’t work for you, purchase something during tax-free weekend. It SHOULDN’T be far enough into first block to hurt.
thanks so much!

do they give you the ipads to keep?

can you take them home

thanks so much!

do they give you the ipads to keep?

can you take them home

The iPads are ‘essentially yours’ while you are in school, but they do not technically become yours until you graduate. Between beginning school and graduation or leaving the school you carry it like one of your own. Take it home, download some games, whatever. It is “monitored” by NYIT and used for examination purposes. If you damage it during school you HAVE to get it replaced because it is not yours to dictate the fate of. After you graduate you can do whatever. If you leave the school by means other than graduation you have to turn it in.

Longer answer than needed, but hope that drives home the point.

It is “yours” until you leave the school. Upon graduation consider it a present from the school. Upon leaving under other circumstances you have to turn it in.

The iPads are ‘essentially yours’ while you are in school, but they do not technically become yours until you graduate. Between beginning school and graduation or leaving the school you carry it like one of your own. Take it home, download some games, whatever. It is “monitored” by NYIT and used for examination purposes. If you damage it during school you HAVE to get it replaced because it is not yours to dictate the fate of. After you graduate you can do whatever. If you leave the school by means other than graduation you have to turn it in.

Longer answer than needed, but hope that drives home the point.

It is “yours” until you leave the school. Upon graduation consider it a present from the school. Upon leaving under other circumstances you have to turn it in.
thanks so much

does ow also get ipads?

OW does get iPads because we take examinations on them. This is standard practice at a ton of medical schools nowadays. Cannot standardize between the two campuses without at least this much technology even and provided between them.

I know they said they’ll give us the iPad 128gb. It does anyone know if they are the pros or the newest generation iPad that support Apple Pencil?

I’m one of the apple experts at my notorious blue electronics store. So I just wanna know so I can get the discounted accessories for it while I can before I leave.

They are not the Pro models, and I am unsure if our order would have been processed after the update allowing Apple Pencil use (though that would be great because I love my Apple Pencil). Still, there are many compatible stylus options with fairly reduced latency. None are quite as smooth as the Apple Pencil (proprietary equipment ftw) but still excellent.

I do know that there have been numerous discussions about the cost/benefit analysis for upgrading future classes to the Pro models. In truth I do not see there being much cost (which would be covered by like $100-300 extra in tuition or something fairly negligible like that), but administration still has to sign off. This will certainly not be relevant for your class as I am sure we have probably placed our order with Apple already.

For what it might be worth, I purchased an iPad Pro myself and utilize both iPads frequently. If I am up at campus I stream a lecture or Pathoma video on one while taking notes on the Pro with my Apple Pencil. When at home I stream the videos on my desktop and take notes on my Pro. I like having both, especially since the Pro is truly mine so I can really do with it as I please. But this is not what one would call “cost-efficient.” I got an unspeakably great deal and took advantage of it.

Yeah I actually was going to buy an iPad of my own before I found out that we get them from the school. I currently have a MacBook 12" and plan on using the money that I budgeted for the iPad on building a mid-grade PC. This is one thing I really liked about NYIT, they are really keen on using technology. Integration of an iPad with their ecosystem (Apple TV's ETC.) will be wonderful in group settings and collaborative spaces.

Throughout undergrad I had a small notebook (moleskin) that I used to take all my notes in which was really useful. I never was a fan of using the 3rd party stylus that are available for the iPad and iPhones, I tried that for a little bit and was not a fan of the lag and lack of application support and OS integration. I tried out the apple pencil and am a definite fan, but still unsure on if I will truly use it. Looking at screens and not having a physical object to write on can give me a headache (surprising for how much I love technology, especially since I'm a apple [sheep] fanboy). I would assume that buying the newest generation iPads are in the best interest of NYIT because they cost the nearly the same and Apple is REALLY pushing those iPads for school use. That is the whole reason they released the new iPad. Unless NYIT is getting a decent deal on the older 4th gen iPads, I would assume they got the newest 5th gen iPads. I might hit up the IT department and ask them about it.

I get very excited about technology and education, its a huge part of Apples backend marketing. Its how they make tremendous money but also how they are able to get great technology in the hands of people who can use them in amazing ways from coding for kids to learning about medicine, like us. Its so funny how Microsoft markets these tools and ideas but they kinda kick off but aren't integrated into curriculums as well. Such as Microsofts VR, its been cool in concept but I haven't heard of it really being brought to the classroom as a universal tool. For example, the newest commercials about the surface line (at least the ads catered by them for someone like me) is about that girl who is a med student and talks about how the surface is really useful to her. However, I have yet to see a single school exclusively partner with Microsoft and use their surface line for their needs. Even their cheapest surface around 499 price range cant compete with a simple iPad that starts at 329.

Im going off on a tangent, sorry. Ill stop there haha :hijacked:

You get the 5th gen iPad. It’s pretty nifty.

I will say that at a couple of hospitals and clinics back home seemed to be big into using the Microsoft Surface tablet. Ends up being a mix of user preference and affordability.

I think they’re more common at the practice level, whereas iPads seem bigger on the educational level. Again, just my experience. I’m sure interfacing is a big part of it. Mostly Windows computers in the hospitals, so Surface tablets work well. iPads from an educational standpoint are awesome, especially when coupled with things like Apple TVs.

Is there a chance at any more significant waitlist movement at this point? Seems last year a lot was in late May and June, but I’ve heard that this year a lot of schools have been more careful with yield protection. I don’t know if I should give up hope at this point.

Is there a chance at any more significant waitlist movement at this point? Seems last year a lot was in late May and June, but I’ve heard that this year a lot of schools have been more careful with yield protection. I don’t know if I should give up hope at this point.
Never give up hope! I’m hopeful everyday...we’ll make it!

Where did you hear that?

Just called the office of admissions. The guy that picks up is actually as informative as he can be. Idk if this was shared already but he said that the waitlist is unranked but definitely not random (obviously). They basically do a revaluation all the applications on the waitlist when a spot opens up. Waitlist movement is obviously difficult to predict but there "most likely" will be movement, even as late as the first week of August when orientation occurs and people decide medical school isn't for them. Stay hopeful guys!

Reactions: 4 users
anyone hear of waitlist movement ?

....patiently waiting...

Hey everyone! Did anyone else get an e-mail asking if you want to remain on the waiting list?

Reactions: 6 users
does anyone know approximately how many people are on the waitlist?

anyone hear of waitlist movement ?

....patiently waiting...
Well the email they sent today asking if we wish to remain on the waitlist specifically states they "continue to experience movement on [their] wait list for the 2018 entering class starting on August 1, 2018."

Last year's thread saw additional waitlist movement just a few days after this "update your waitlist status" email was sent out. I hope we'll be seeing some more movement here soon!

Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone reply to the e-mail if you wanted to remain on the waitlist? I know they said not to, but just checking to see if anyone did.

Any current students willing to sell their Welch Allyn oto-ophthalmoscope Diagnostic set? Message me please