2017-2018 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At this point are we to expect a phone call or an email if we are accepted off the waitlist?

I called earlier this week and was told e-mail.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone get an acceptance today? People here have been reporting acceptances pretty much every Friday, but haven't seen any yet today.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point are we to expect a phone call or an email if we are accepted off the waitlist?

So for me I got a call asking if I was still interested in a spot, I said yes, and I was was told if I was chosen I’d receive an email. The day I was accepted I got a call and while I was talking to them I got the email. I’d definitely say as we get closer to orientation you’re probably more likely to get a call since it becomes a time crunch.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just as an update. I emailed the IT department and they confirmed that we will be getting the iPad 5th gen, which will not be compatible with the Apple Pencil. :confused: Oh well, Atleast now we know!
are there any styluses or keyboards that are compatible with this ipad model?

are there any styluses or keyboards that are compatible with this ipad model?
Lots of keyboards, but the stylus options are limited to the kind that mimics your finger instead of being like an Apple Pencil.

I just withdrew my acceptance! I hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist!! Good luckk!

Reactions: 5 users
Withdrew my acceptance today at OW! All the best to those who are still waiting!

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew my acceptance today at OW! All the best to those who are still waiting!

Just want to thank you and the others who post here to let us know of acceptance withdrawls. Gives those of us on the waitlist a little glimmer of hope for the weeks ahead.

Reactions: 6 users
Received an email asking if I was still interested in remaining on the WL for OW, Will be withdrawing as I have a firm acceptance with another program (#1 choice). Best of luck to all still waiting.

Reactions: 2 users
Received an email asking if I was still interested in remaining on the WL for OW, Will be withdrawing as I have a firm acceptance with another program (#1 choice). Best of luck to all still waiting.

Congrats on getting into your number one choice! When did you receive the email from NYIT?

Congrats on getting into your number one choice! When did you receive the email from NYIT?
I think it was early last week....and that was the second email I received in the past few weeks

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else receive 2 emails?????? I only got 1.

Reactions: 5 users
A question for current students: did you use the otoscope/ophthalmoscope, Sphygmomanometer, tuning fork and taylor reflex hammer? I received an email to purchase it, but I don't want to waste money on something that I won't use lol I'd rather borrow it if I will use it once.

A question for current students: did you use the otoscope/ophthalmoscope, Sphygmomanometer, tuning fork and taylor reflex hammer? I received an email to purchase it, but I don't want to waste money on something that I won't use lol I'd rather borrow it if I will use it once.

To add to this question, which sphygmomanometer do you recommend that may be cheaper than the one the school recommends?

Reactions: 1 users

The tuning fork actually came up more often than the others (lol). But the ICC where we do what amounts to our our clinical evaluations has the BP cuff and O/O scope on the wall. Typically a reflex hammer was made available as well. Here in JB I don’t think they were critical of us for not having one per say, but they could TECHNICALLY consider you unprepared for DPR lab if you don’t have your equipment.

But to answer your questions:
BP cuff only came up for vitals in one of the first labs. It’s on the wall in ICC.
O/O came up effectively twice, but we only used it to practice the ophthalmic exam once and the ear/nose exam twice. Never are assessed on the fundoscopic exam because that would be abuse for the simulated patients who would have 23877 of those done during ICC assessments. I used a pen light for the neuro components as they related to pupil assessments. I did like having my own O/O for ICC though because I didn’t have to use the one on the wall - personal choice though.
Tuning forks come up in several different neuro components, assessing hearing and vibratory sensation. I feel we had several assessments where we used them and they weren’t provided for us. I think these can be relatively cheap though, but you will need both to effectively complete these different exams.
Reflex hammer was the same. I think this was generally provided though in ICC.

You COULD borrow them for DPR and practice. Idk about specific cheaper models though. The BP cuff is by far the most expendable item. O/O is next, but still probably nice to have. I’d buy the tuning forks and reflex hammer. And the rosenbaum chart. Those next passed around like candy because people forget them but still.

Other students correct me if my assessment is wrong.

The tuning fork actually came up more often than the others (lol). But the ICC where we do what amounts to our our clinical evaluations has the BP cuff and O/O scope on the wall. Typically a reflex hammer was made available as well. Here in JB I don’t think they were critical of us for not having one per say, but they could TECHNICALLY consider you unprepared for DPR lab if you don’t have your equipment.

But to answer your questions:
BP cuff only came up for vitals in one of the first labs. It’s on the wall in ICC.
O/O came up effectively twice, but we only used it to practice the ophthalmic exam once and the ear/nose exam twice. Never are assessed on the fundoscopic exam because that would be abuse for the simulated patients who would have 23877 of those done during ICC assessments. I used a pen light for the neuro components as they related to pupil assessments. I did like having my own O/O for ICC though because I didn’t have to use the one on the wall - personal choice though.
Tuning forks come up in several different neuro components, assessing hearing and vibratory sensation. I feel we had several assessments where we used them and they weren’t provided for us. I think these can be relatively cheap though, but you will need both to effectively complete these different exams.
Reflex hammer was the same. I think this was generally provided though in ICC.

You COULD borrow them for DPR and practice. Idk about specific cheaper models though. The BP cuff is by far the most expendable item. O/O is next, but still probably nice to have. I’d buy the tuning forks and reflex hammer. And the rosenbaum chart. Those next passed around like candy because people forget them but still.

Other students correct me if my assessment is wrong.

This stuff sounds expensive. Do they really expect us to buy this before we get our FA?

So from what I understand, the most important/useful thing on the list is the stethoscope. So I bought the one that they recommended, got it for 150 on ebay brand new. the rest of the stuff i bought really cheap off of ebay and not the ones they recommended but stuff that'll get the job done and I will have to get it approved but doubt it would matter in the long run. ill include the links for everything. In the end i spent about 200$ on everything. If I need to buy something else or it isn't approved that would only be about 40$ down the drain. Ill take the risk for things we apparently wont be using that much anyways.I don't understand why they just didn't include the equipment in our tuition. Just like with the 'free' iPad, we have to pay a technology fee which is around 329/349 and happens to be the exact price of an iPad.

1: Littmann Cardiology IV Stethoscope
2: Generic Tuning Forks: 512 and 128
3: Generic O/O Scope
4: Generic BP Cuff
5: Generic Hammer

So I can’t really say for sure why my school write’s the bill like they do, but I could venture a guess as to why the equipment is not included in the tuition. In my class we have several folks who were nurses before coming here. Many of them already have some of the equipment that we are required to have. By charging those people for the equipment in the tuition we would either be providing a spare on their dime (not really fair) or just charging them for it and not giving it to them (also not fair). While it is inconvenient that they require the equipment to be bought ahead of time, it is because we will use some of it as early as week 1 - well in advance of how long it would take to get a lot of the equipment if you wait to order it until you are here. Unfortunately federal aid is not dispersed until NYIT actually bills them, which cannot be before you arrive here, so the money issue is an example of an unfortunate reality of government process - a day late and a dollar short.

The iPad I have no real answer for.

I appreciate (and I am sure your colleagues do as well) you linking to some equipment. I do not believe people had a lot of trouble getting equipment approved as long as it serves its functional purpose. I do agree that it is well worth buying a nice stethoscope if anything, we use it and it looks good. Just this past week I was using mine while shadowing in the hospital in every patient room I entered (props to my physician for letting me do stuff).

This stuff sounds expensive. Do they really expect us to buy this before we get our FA?

Yes, unfortunately they do. You could wait until your FA dispersement, but as I mentioned above it can cause serious delays that could result in diminished grades in labs due to being marked “unprepared”.

If you have a PayPal you could do financing from online purchases for 6 months (or whatever the deal is) and pay it off with the dispersement when you get it. Or with a credit card you COULD buy it before the deadline (or somewhere between ~June 16 and ~July 16 by credit card statement dates), it would hit your statement and be on your billing cycle for ~July 16 - ~August 16. This is a gamble on when the FA return officially becomes yours. IF you get it before your payment due date (~August 16) then you could pay off that part of your bill and not owe any interest. But again, this is a gamble.

I’m just trying to pitch ideas. Sorry if they are not the most helpful.
Disclaimer: I do not know your credit card company’s method of doing business but that latter option is an example of something I could have done.

Last edited:
Can anyone elaborate on what the first and 2nd year schedule looks like? (Not DPC students)

Can anyone elaborate on what the first and 2nd year schedule looks like? (Not DPC students)

Adding to the post above, does anyone know when the schedule is officially released? At the accepted student day, I think someone mentioned early June?? Just want confirmation if thats true/happening anytime soon.

Adding to the post above, does anyone know when the schedule is officially released? At the accepted student day, I think someone mentioned early June?? Just want confirmation if thats true/happening anytime soon.

I will reply to this one since it encompasses the previous within it.

For starters, there are meetings happening right now to lock in faculty assignments for fall lectures. Once that is complete a comprehensive schedule can be published. I would hope to see it over the next month. By the time we in JB have our Kickstart Program I would imagine having the schedule available. I cannot say I remember specifically when ours was published, but it was well enough in advance to plan trips home for the three day weekends.

If you want a general overview, I can speak to what the Class of 2021 did.
Lectures in the morning 8-11 (9-12 in NY). Labs in the afternoon either form 12-4 or 1-5. 12-4 was on DPR days, 1-5 was on Anatomy and OMM days. We did, on some occasions, have lectures on Friday morning. Typically Fridays are for testing only though.

Semester 1 consists of 3, six week blocks. 6 midcomprehensive exams, 3 comprehensive exams, 3 anatomy practicals, and 3 OMM practicals.
We have midcomprehensive exams (40-60 questions) on only lectures on Friday of weeks 2 and 4 each block. Week 6 is a comprehensive exam week with an anatomy practical, OMM practical, and lecture exam that covers all 5 weeks prior.
Material covered in lecture is Foundational Sciences. This means the science behind immunology, genetics, pathology, and pharmacology, along with biochemistry, physiology, and anatomy/embryology.

Semester 2 had 1, six week block of neuroanatomy and neurology (same exam schedule as before). Then 3, five week blocks (the first five week block had a midcomp after week 3, the other two had one after week 2).
It began with psychiatry and neuromusculoskeletal; then continued neuromusculoskeletal and immunology; then immunology and hematology; then some more hematology, immunology, and dermatology.
Lectures still in the morning, labs still in the afternoon. Instead of anatomy we did CBL. This is only on one day instead of two so you get two afternoons off.

As for second year, when that schedule is published I can share specifics. As an incoming second year I am anticipating the normal small adjustments to specific aspects of the schedule.
The general progression is as follows:
Fall is Cardio/Renal/Pulm. It looks like renal physiology starts us off (sigh).
Spring starts with GI, then goes to Endocrine/Repro.

I believe have a more comprehensive breakdown of year one in this thread, and I encourage you to look back and find it if you are interested. It was a hefty post.

Hoping for some acceptances today!

Reactions: 3 users

I found this website with the schedules for the current medical students. Guessi

Can anyone comment on the recorded lectures? During the allotted lecture times, is there a professor there (or anyone) to start the video or take attendance or anything? Are all the lecture videos given out in the beginning of the semester?

Me after your post:

giphy.gif

Haha don’t worry, it isn’t nearly as bad as I make it sound! You realize very early on that just spending a couple hours a day dedicated to studying will get you where you need to go!

Can anyone comment on the recorded lectures? During the allotted lecture times, is there a professor there (or anyone) to start the video or take attendance or anything? Are all the lecture videos given out in the beginning of the semester?

No attendance as it is not mandatory (though it is in the handbook as “expected”). Our IT personnel ensure that the video is recording. Lecture videos are recorded LIVE, so they are made available shortly after the recording has ended. However, you have access to previous year’s videos via our streaming service. We had a professor this year who gave a lecture that was difficult to understand, so I watched last year’s lecture over the same topic and get what I needed. I was also able to watch lectures the day before they happened live by viewing the previous year’s lecture over the same topic. The only catch is that, on a few occasions, a different professor may have presented the topic or they may have Since last year’s lectures have already been given live, those videos are already on our streaming service as of the same day.

Do the instruments we need for class need to be the brands they recommended? Or can we order any brand?

I just got accepted also! But the email was weird it said “AR New York Insitute of ...”. But I interviewed at OW, and it says to pay deposit to OW so I’m just confused which campus I was accepted into​

It should say in the email very clearly that you have been accepted ‘at Arkansas state’. If it doesn’t then I would assume OW. But I would call to make sure. Did you only interview at OW? Or both? If only st OW then you were more than likely just accepted there.

As far as I know in the three years that both campuses have existed you can only interview at one. If you select both on the secondary then they’ll choose which one you contend for. Otherwise I would agree with your suspicion, if it doesn’t say “at Arkansas State” or “Jonesboro” explicitly then OW it is! Or wherever you interviewed lol.

Also anyone have information on their dress code? Where do you guys buy your clothes from? (Talking about any guys) what’s something I should definitely buy that would be useful in terms of outfit?

Dress code should have been discussed a few times on this thread. I do recommend reviewing it in the handbook when you have access as some changes may be made coming into this year.

Scrubs and white coats are ordered initially through Healthware Inc. You get 2 white coats and 1 set if scrubs. You can buy extras and have them embroidered through them. It doesn’t hurt to have an extra set of scrubs, though many didn’t end up wearing them much after a short while. Just make sure you can dress professional when needed. Don’t overthink clothes.

Labs:
OMM - they are usually flexible depending on what regions of the body are being worked. Students have to have easy access to the areas being treated. For guys it is just easier for you and your partner to wear shorts and a t-shirt. Scrubs are technically allowed, but shorts have to be worn underneath in case of need of access (refer to previous sentence). Religious accommodations can be made.

DPR - OMM attire. Please for the love of all that is reasonable follow this. I do not understand where misconceptions occurred with my class but if you show up in jeans (which NEVER meet dress code anyway) and I (your partner) have (has) to do a lower extremity assessment on you, there will be great frustration.

ICC - Business PROFESSIONAL. I am not yelling at you all, but again there seems to be a discrepancy in understanding here. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise, there is more explicit language that is supposed to be added to the handbook because of some apparent misunderstanding here as well (coming from a meeting I had with out ICC Director about general ICC stuff). That means button down and TIE. Slacks. Dress shoes. And white coat. Or appropriate dress, dress skirt, blouse, etc. for women. As a side note, keep in mind that when you are in ICC you are BEING ASSESSED. That means it is a TEST. That means don’t be dumb and do things that would be considered cheating. This is a very straightforward component of our education if you do those two things: dress right and don’t be dumb.

Anatomy - The most lax. Scrubs is the safe bet, but I would buy a cheap set from like Walmart. CLOSE TOED SHOES. The room gets cold sometimes so you may consider sleeves. Effectively pants and a shirt generally work. The smell will burn into whatever you bring so don’t like it too much.

CBL - I don’t think it matters. We had this the same day as OMM so that attire works. This is the only one that I do not know if it was ever explicitly covered.

Lecture:
Officially you should wear business professional, could wear business casual, and can get away with wearing whatever you want. The idea is to be a professional, with the only excuse not to be dressed up being having lab afterward, in which case lab attire is acceptable.
IF you go to lecture don’t sweat this aspect too much, though I would advise paying a liiiiiittle more attention to how you look if we have a guest speaker or seminar in Jonesboro that day. One or two lecturers from Jonesboro (both clinical faculty, I believe) made a comment in passing to a student about their informal dress at lecture. Most come from OW and so nobody would know better here, but it is something to consider. They don’t usually harp on dress at lecture unless it is inappropriate by normal standards.

Did any of you who were accepted from the waitlist send any follow-up letters of interest, or any updates or anything else?

Is it necessary to buy the suggested Welch Allen 97200-MCL oto-opthalmoscope ($700) or can one get buy with the Welch Allen Junior set ($200)? I know the junior set isn't as nice but it's significantly cheaper and perhaps adequate... I've heard from a second year at JB and several practicing physicians that they never use theirs anymore and suggest trying to get by without the expensive one. Thanks for your input

Is it necessary to buy the suggested Welch Allen 97200-MCL oto-opthalmoscope ($700) or can one get buy with the Welch Allen Junior set ($200)? I know the junior set isn't as nice but it's significantly cheaper and perhaps adequate... I've heard from a second year at JB and several practicing physicians that they never use theirs anymore and suggest trying to get by without the expensive one. Thanks for your input

I bought the recommended one but we don’t use it much. I took it in to ICC because I hate dealing with the chord for the one on the wall. But you can do that with a cheaper one as well.

Thank you! it just wasn't very straightforward in the materials they provided so far. They only mention professional dress code but no indication of what that means to them or what exactly they wanted for their lectures. There is some vague language used in their materials and was confusing to me. So basically what I am getting from you is business casual for the classroom, Athletic wear/scrubs for OMM and DPR, Dedicated scrubs for Anatomy, Professional for ICC. which all makes sense. I really just wanted to know if I need to wear and tie and coat wherever i am on campus.

It isn’t very clear in some areas, including the handbook, at times. So I don’t mind clarifying. The only area of note is that the classroom can be dressed down, but they do technically want some sort of semi-professional dress. That didn’t last long for 2020 or 2021, many of us wore scrubs when we went or whatever we needed for lab. I usually only wore business casual when I went home afterward (no lab).
I wear my white coat for ICC, DPR (I forgot to mention you do wear it to DPR with OMM attire), or tours/speakers.

I received an email from the admissions office again saying if I wanted to remain on the waitlist. Anyone else got the same email?

I received an email from the admissions office again saying if I wanted to remain on the waitlist. Anyone else got the same email?

Yes. The email said we didn't *have* to reply to remain on the waitlist. I replied. Have no idea if that was a good move or not. I really want to go here!

Yes. The email said we didn't *have* to reply to remain on the waitlist. I replied. Have no idea if that was a good move or not. I really want to go here!

The email I received required a response with my name, phone number, and whether I wanted to remain on the waitlist.

Hi guys! I was waitlisted last year at a different school and I know the wait can be BRUTAL. Just wanted to let you all know I gave up my seat here today, thought I’d let you know—stay hopeful!!

I didn’t receive this email again. Wonder what that means..

MAYBE thats a good sign and means your'e being considered? idk I'm just contemplating. I did not get a second email asking if i wanted to remain on the waitlist :(

Hi guys! I was waitlisted last year at a different school and I know the wait can be BRUTAL. Just wanted to let you all know I gave up my seat here today, thought I’d let you know—stay hopeful!!
posts like this and people like you give us waiting much needed hope. Truly appreciate it. Wish you the best of luck wherever you're headed.

Reactions: 1 users