2017-2018 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys! I was waitlisted last year at a different school and I know the wait can be BRUTAL. Just wanted to let you all know I gave up my seat here today, thought I’d let you know—stay hopeful!!

OW or JB?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the athletic facility at OW is like? Is it good for lifting?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey waitlist people! I was one of the late July admits from last year so I just wanted to say don’t lose hope! Also I received my acceptance call at like 5:30 PM ET so don’t dump your phone if it’s after 5. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using

were there alot of july admits last year??

The seat I gave up was at the Jonesboro campus! Hang in there folks, It’s sooo very worth the wait! :)

The email I received required a response with my name, phone number, and whether I wanted to remain on the waitlist.
This sounds like a good thing. I did not receive a second email. The first email I received was May 23. Haven’t heard anything else since. For OW.

I received an email from the admissions office again saying if I wanted to remain on the waitlist. Anyone else got the same email?

I didn't! D:

Would it be too much to call them and confirm that I'm still on the waitlist?

Last edited:
I didn't! D:

Would it be too much to call them and confirm that I'm still on the waitlist?
I think it’s fine to call they have always been super friendly and helpful anytime I’ve called with questions.

Has anyone on the OW waitlist received multiple emails about remaining on the waitlist? Or has it just been for JB?

Has anyone on the OW waitlist received multiple emails about remaining on the waitlist? Or has it just been for JB?

I've only received one, on May 23.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone who responded to the email get a response from the school that they received your reply?

Gave up my seat in the ow class yesterday! Hope one of you gets my spot :)

Reactions: 6 users
Just officially gave up my seat as well! Hope someone here gets it :)

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted off the waitlist today! Super psyched, best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Around what time has everyone been receiving their acceptances emails? I’m going crazy checking every 20 mins lol

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else look forward to every Friday just hoping they get an acceptance? Lmao. Someone on here got an acceptance yesterday so I’m guessing they emailed acceptances yesterday and we won’t be getting anything today. Hope i’m wrong!

Accepted to OW yesterday! Can someone provide me with a link to the fb group?
Also, anyone have any housing tips?

Last edited:
I was accepted this week to OW! Interviewed in November. Waitlisted in January.

I remember reading some time ago on this thread that nyit gives you an iPad that is not compatible with the Apple Pencil... if this is true, do you think it’ll be possible to convince them to give us the 2018 ipad?
I planned on getting an iPad along with the Apple Pencil for note taking, and to me it makes no sense to have 2 iPads... what are y’all going to do if we can’t upgrade the iPad nyit gives us?

For those still on the WL for OW, I received an email this morning asking if I wanted to remain on the list as they were still experiencing movement, After receiving an email about 2 weeks ago gauging my interest, I requested to be taken off the list as I accepted at another program. Having given up my WL spot, hope it opens up a spot, Best of Luck!!!

Did everyone on the OW WL get a second email today about status?

For those still on the WL for OW, I received an email this morning asking if I wanted to remain on the list as they were still experiencing movement, After receiving an email about 2 weeks ago gauging my interest, I requested to be taken off the list as I accepted at another program. Having given up my WL spot, hope it opens up a spot, Best of Luck!!!
Thank you very much for letting us know !

I received the second waitlist email about OW this morning.

so will they call us now for acceptances since they asked for our numbers?

Does anyone know what the classes you take in 1st and 2nd year? A breakdown of the schedule would be really nice.

Did anyone get a reply that they recieved the waitlist update email?

I was informed that they'll be sending out confirmation emails all in one batch. My guess is that it'll be either at the end of today, or tomorrow.

Does anyone know what the classes you take in 1st and 2nd year? A breakdown of the schedule would be really nice.

I wouldn’t say we take “classes.” We have a systems model curriculum. Idk maybe you call our systems “classes” but I wouldn’t. There is a little blend at times which prevents me from viewing each as a distinguished “class” we go through as opposed to a continuum.

Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine: Fall OMS I covers scientific principles of medicine, such as biochemistry, anatomy, principles of pharmacology, pathology, embryology, immunology, genetics, etc. These lectures allow you to have a scientific background for the clinical components of systems.
Principles and Practices of Osteopathic Medicine: Spring OMS I covers neuroanatomy, neurology, physchiatry, neuromusculoskeletal, allergy/immunology, hematology, oncology, and dermatology.
Principles and Practices of Osteopathic Medicine: Fall OMS II is cardio, renal, and pulmonary.
Principles and Practices of Osteopathic Medicine: Spring OMS II is GI, endocrine, and reproductive.

Treat them more as 4 semesters because that is how grades worked for us. If anything, we took/take these 4 “courses” and receive course grades. Failing a course means needing to remediate that course.

Our schedule was retooled a bit from 2020 and yours will probably have a few adjustments as well. This accommodates faculty availability, better material flow, and reasonable divides around comp week. This also makes it hard to say for sure what you will experience. A lecture schedule should be made available in the next couple weeks for matriculating students to see - a few weeks before classes start. You will have everything you could want in terms of a schedule at that point in time.

As a side note, I went through at the beginning of the semester and made an Excel sheet documenting the lecture schedule with exam breaks. This allowed me to look ahead to know what was coming, keep track of the number of times I have gone over a lecture prior to exams (tick-mark system next to the lecture), and mapped out potential breaks for trips home or whatever. I recommend this to incoming students. Seems OCD, but it kept me on top of things and aware.

Big example of its benefit: It is the weekend before a midcomp. Midcomp exam on Friday, covering material from the week before and the week of. I could spend more time reviewing the week before and getting that down-pat, or spend more time previewing. Two scenarios:
1) Week ahead has some genetics lectures and pathology. Usually do well on those. I can preview briefly, watch Pathoma, take some notes, and go through lectures as they come up no problem -> spend more time reviewing last week.
2) Week ahead has a lot of pharmacology. Not my favorite subject, relatively speaking. I need to watch the prefecture videos, maybe do some reading, watch Sketchy Pharm, and take some notes -> spend less time reviewing last week and more time preparing for this week.

Sure, you don’t need a full schedule like I made to do this. But I pull up my Excel sheet and see “Pharmacology” in the subject column 8 times and I don’t have to access internet, log in to Akila, and scroll everywhere. It was quicker and easier for me. Just a thought.

Can any current students comment on the clinical and rotation locations? I know some people have given some different areas in Arkansas in this forum, but I am assuming by now everyone knows where they are assigned and can a current student at the school (NYIT-AR) explain the process (how many spots per site etc.) and specific sites? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users