2017-2018 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just received the waitlist response email

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email from Vicki Walker about dental/medical coverage. Their “health insurance plan” is absurd and the premiums for a single person is $400 a month. The coverage is not even good. Dental comes out to $28 dollars a month. They don’t allow private plans either!! Why is that?

Hint to all: they say that they take medicaid and VA benefits, parents employers and spouse insurance. I will be applying for Medicaid as I will be loosing my job to go to school. This qualifies you for a special enrollment period and will be very affordable rather than paying $400 dollars a month (that’s a car note )! If anyone else has any ideas around this as well, please PM me.

I got accepted to OW off the waitlist today!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks! They emailed me and I did not get a phone call.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email from Vicki Walker about dental/medical coverage. Their “health insurance plan” is absurd and the premiums for a single person is $400 a month. The coverage is not even good. Dental comes out to $28 dollars a month. They don’t allow private plans either!! Why is that?

Hint to all: they say that they take medicaid and VA benefits, parents employers and spouse insurance. I will be applying for Medicaid as I will be loosing my job to go to school. This qualifies you for a special enrollment period and will be very affordable rather than paying $400 dollars a month (that’s a car note )! If anyone else has any ideas around this as well, please PM me.

If you qualify to use your parent’s insurance and they (your parents) allow you to use it, I highly recommend doing so. I do not know for sure why they do not allow private plans, but my thought is that a VA/Medicaid coverage that you qualify for and receive should remain garaunteed throughout the year, as does the school’s plan because it will be paid for in full by dispersements. I assume that private plans may not be garaunteed month to month, as you make outside payments and the school cannot keep tabs on everyone and their private insurances.

Again, that’s just my assumption. I do not know for sure. It does make sense to me if that is the case, however.

Although I qualify to still use my parent’s insurance, I have several friends who applied for Medicaid this year and got it. I highly recommend this as an option to mitigate costs. The school’s plan is costly by comparison. I do not see them wavering on their stance, so the 4 options (parent, spouse, Medicaid, VA) you mentioned are probably the only ones you have.

Congrats! Will you be attending?

Yup I'll be attending!

Also, does anyone know if/when they send out additional information about insurance/supplies/orientation/etc to people accepted from the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if it will be worth buying the Cardiology IV or will I be fine with the classic III littman? My dad (who is a physician) thinks the cardiology might be overkill and bought the Classic III as a gift for me thinking thats what I need. Should I keep the Classic or buy a Cardiology IV (Maybe even keep the classic III as a backup)

You can submit a request to be able to use your Classic. I imagine it will be fine. I have the Cardiology IV but at this point do not see any significant advantages. If anything, a have a buddy down here who shelled out for an electric one or whatever that records sounds, and that one is pretty cool. I may look into that for my next one. Then again I may not.

But yeah, your Classic should be fine. Just run it by admin to be sure.

Has anyone received a confirmation email for their waitlist update?

Does anyone know where there might be a book list?

Does anyone know where there might be a book list?

No list that I can think of, but professors will list books on their CPGs (like a syllabus for a lecture). You’ll see many of the same books come up. The schedule should (hopefully) be out this week and you will see CPGs go up then, as well as be able to make a schedule of classes (like I had mentioned before).

What books are we recommended to buy now and have ready for class? (anatomy disectors, flashcards, ect.)

What books are we recommended to buy now and have ready for class? (anatomy disectors, flashcards, ect.)

Dissector is available online, buy a hard copy if you would like. Best atlas I used came free with SOMA membership. Worth considering. Netter’s flash cards were okay, too. UMich has great anatomy tables and whatnot.

Neuroanatomy made ridiculously easy is good I hear. Not necessary until November or so. Pathoma and First Aid were included for me and probably are for you. Maybe look into Robbin’s pathology and the pharm book? Not necessary though, I promise.

Kind of confused on the “mandatory” purchasing of the medical equipment. If we were to purchase our own equipment, do we still have to go ahead and order the equipment from the school? Or can we just order our own and that’s that? Doesn’t seem to make sense to do both.

Kind of confused on the “mandatory” purchasing of the medical equipment. If we were to purchase our own equipment, do we still have to go ahead and order the equipment from the school? Or can we just order our own and that’s that? Doesn’t seem to make sense to do both.

You aren’t ordering equipment from the school, just through/in association with them. You’re still purchasing your own equipment either way, just in one case you’re utilizing a package set aside through these companies by the school to meet this end. In the other case you’re buying equipment elsewhere on your own and piecing together the parts.

The equipment is listed as mandatory. How you go about getting all of it is up to you. If you purchase a package through the school like I did, they will receive the equipment and distribute it to you at orientation (or at least they did for us). That way you don’t have to deal with mail services and transporting it down. Sort of a peace-of-mind situation.

Got accepted into OW today! Got an email at 5:00pm. Hang in there to anyone still waiting! Still a month left, it can happen at anytime.

Reactions: 3 users
Got accepted into OW today! Got an email at 5:00pm. Hang in there to anyone still waiting! Still a month left, it can happen at anytime.
Your username could not have been more appropriate for this message lol...Congrats!!

I thought students mentioned, during the interview, getting their books through their iPads and they were given to us? Was that not right?
That’s what I remember. Maybe you can purchase the physical copies if you want.

That’s what I remember. Maybe you can purchase the physical copies if you want.

Yes, all required texts are available to us electronically. Physical copies can likely be obtained though the library temporarily or purchased as desired. Some additional resources have been mentioned.

Thank god. Because that was one of my top reasons for picking NYIT. Last thing Id wanna do is pay such expensive tuition, get an iPad and still have physical textbooks.
I prefer physical ones for some things for sure

Is the NYITCOM Learning Skills Module on Open Learning mandatory?

Is the NYITCOM Learning Skills Module on Open Learning mandatory?

Nope, it's voluntary. Here's what part of the email says:

"This is a voluntary, but recommended, course. It is not for credit; just simply to prepare you for your coursework here at NYITCOM. We have found that students who participated in this course last year, earned higher marks on their exams than did their peers who did not participate in the course."

Is anyone on the JB campus attending the kick starter and moving into The Circle this/next week?

Is anyone on the JB campus attending the kick starter and moving into The Circle this/next week?

I recommend pitching this on the C/O 2022 FB page as well. Not sure what the motive was, but you’ll get a lot accomplished by doubling down there.

Also I will be, but obviously not in the same role haha.

I actually chose Touro Middletown, even though NYITCOM is considered a better DO school, because I believe Touro's mission and flipped classroom model is a better teaching style for me